PDA

View Full Version : How do I register with a doctor when changing residence in Tenerife?

realejos
21-08-2012, 22:20
Hello,

I am a self employed person and I have Tarjeta Sanitaria. Two years ago I moved to Tenerife from Gran Canaria. In Gran Canaria I had a doctor, but I still don't have it in Tenerife. At present I live in the North but in September will move to the South.

Now I need a doctor and I can't wait till September. It's not a good idea to go to register by a doctor in the North when after 2 weeks I will be in the South. How can I get a doctor now? I would like to go to the South but don't know if they will take me because I have only a new rental contract with a address in the South. Can I get a doctor in the South without Certificado de Empadronamiento and with residence certificate which states that I live in the North?

One more question. What is the difference between "Consultorio" and "Centro de salud"? In Puerto de Santiago there is only a "Consultorio". Can I register by a doctor in "Consultorio" or I have to go to the nearest "Centro de salud" (I guess in Tamaimo)?

Thanks.

Goldenmaniac
22-08-2012, 15:00
You could only register permanently with an empadronamiento from the new town hall proving where you live - but you can be seen as a "displaced" person at any NH centre - its as though you were on holiday from Gran Can - just make sure you have your health card and ID with you and ask the receptionist for an appointment.

Then when you are settled at the new place and have your empadronamineto you can register at your nearest docs which can only be the one allotted to your cachement area

The difference between a consultorio and centro is size - Puerto de Santiago is small and has one morning and one afternoon doc Adeje has about 14 morning and afternoon for example.

realejos
22-08-2012, 16:36
OK, tomorrow I will go to the new town hall. I hope I get empadronamiento and the same day can register with a doctor. A few more questions:

- when I register by a doctor, will they keep my "Certificado de empadronamiento" or I just have to show it? If they keep it I have to order several copies. In Gran Canaria they didn't ask for "Certificado de empadronamiento". The green A4 residence card was enough.
- is it possible to get empadronamiento at "tenencia de alcaldía" or from town hall only?
- There is only a "consultario" in Puerto Santiago and the nearest "Centro de salud" as I know is located in Tamaimo. If I live in Puerto de Santiago, am I obligated to register at "consultario" to get a doctor or I can go to the nearest "Centro de Salud"?

Goldenmaniac
22-08-2012, 17:37
Why wouldn't you register at Pto Stgo - the docs are nicer than up in Tamaimo in my opinion and anyway its nearer. No they won't keep the original of your empadronamiento. Yes you can get one from the Tenencia, but you will need to allow time for the registration - usually a few days

realejos
22-08-2012, 18:21
I can register at Puerto Santiago, it's even better. I was thinking that "centro de salud" offers better services than "consultario". Thanks for your answers.

KirstyJay
23-08-2012, 10:29
I can register at Puerto Santiago, it's even better. I was thinking that "centro de salud" offers better services than "consultario". Thanks for your answers.I find that the centro de salud is usually busier and you have longer waiting times and less personal treatment. My doctor, Jesus, at my local consultario know my history as soon as I walk through the door and he's also a CDT fan so he remembers me well :D