PDA

View Full Version : Pay up, or get out - New rules for tenants in Tenerife

Goldenmaniac
23-08-2012, 22:00
Tenants who are late in paying their rent can be evicted within ten days if they are not able to present a justified objection before a judge.

This is just one of the measures contained in a bill entitled “Measures for Promoting Flexibility and Giving Impetus to the Rental Housing Sector”, which will be adopted tomorrow, Friday, by the Spanish Council of Ministers.

In a press briefing, the Minister of Development, Ana Pastor, explained that current regulations force the landlord to sue in court and obtain a judgement for eviction due to non-payment of rent.

“During this lengthy process, right up to the last minute, the tenant can pay something and avoid eviction,” said Pastor.

The new law sets a deadline of ten days for the tenant to pay their outstanding rent, and if they do not, a judge can terminate the contract immediately, without further proceedings.... http://newsinthesun.com/pay-up-or-get-out/

Margaretta
24-08-2012, 00:59
Goldenmaniac....at last!!! It's great for communities that this rule is to be applied. If only it were the same with community fees.
Would much of this be so unnecessary if a condition of renting or buying a property was to pay all bills by DD? Regular payers suffer with lack of communal facilities when others default. It also costs the paying residents when non-payers are chased.
Saying that, it is hoped that each case be judged on its own merits and those who have sincerely fallen on hard times be sympathetically treated.

timmylish
24-08-2012, 02:25
The recovery of Communidad Fees are beginning to cause problems at many rented properties were there are also outright owners who pay fastidiously. (Now you have to admit that this is a cracker of a word to find at this time of the morning! Surprised myself!)

honda
10-09-2012, 11:30
I pay my community fees by direct debit as with water, straight to the community. But when you see the end of year administration figures and a large percentage of owners could not be bothered paying and nothing seems to be done about it, it makes makes you think why should I.
I do feel sorry for people who have fallen on hard times, but it's not easy for anyone these days.
Many of the none payers seem to have their apartments for rent or as holiday homes. If they can't afford to pay their fees why don't they sell their little nest egg.
Agree with statement that all fees should be direct debit. I believe that some complex are now moving this way.

Suej
10-09-2012, 11:38
Got the same problem on my community and it makes me see red!!! we have two really large debtors that haven't paid their community for years! Others now won't pay out of protest! Why should we subsidise them so they can pay their mortgages! ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!:angry:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I pay my community fees by direct debit as with water, straight to the community. But when you see the end of year administration figures and a large percentage of owners could not be bothered paying and nothing seems to be done about it, it makes makes you think why should I.
I do feel sorry for people who have fallen on hard times, but it's not easy for anyone these days.
Many of the none payers seem to have their apartments for rent or as holiday homes. If they can't afford to pay their fees why don't they sell their little nest egg.
Agree with statement that all fees should be direct debit. I believe that some complex are now moving this way.

This doesn't work as the Bank just won't pay if there are insufficient funds in the accounts!rolleyes2:

Margaretta
10-09-2012, 11:58
This doesn't work as the Bank just won't pay if there are insufficient funds in the accounts!

SueJ. I think denuncias have been placed upon non-payers in our complex. Certainly the Bank has taken over some properties (repossession) and I believe that they pay the community the fees owing from this?? Not sure but understand it like this.

honda
10-09-2012, 12:05
This doesn't work as the Bank just won't pay if there are insufficient funds in the accounts!rolleyes2:[/QUOTE]

So then they also have a fine from the bank.

Suej
10-09-2012, 12:53
This doesn't work as the Bank just won't pay if there are insufficient funds in the accounts!

SueJ. I think denuncias have been placed upon non-payers in our complex. Certainly the Bank has taken over some properties (repossession) and I believe that they pay the community the fees owing from this?? Not sure but understand it like this.

We have dununcias in place Margaretta but still nothing after over two years even though both the properties are being rented out! I don't know how long the community can survive without this money! The administrators have already cut down on our cleaners and gardens! the place looks a mess! The laws here mean diddly squat imo! there are 52 houses on our complex and we are owed by just two residents over 8000€! going up each month!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

This doesn't work as the Bank just won't pay if there are insufficient funds in the accounts!rolleyes2:

So then they also have a fine from the bank.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't help the situation for the rest of us though! it's really frustrating! Ooops! I seem to be going a bit OT now!:devil:

seanocelt
10-09-2012, 13:44
Had the same issue in Edinburgh, one guy refused to pay EVER while the majority paid on time. Its not just economic hard times, its a "%$ŁK you" attitude from some horrid people.