PDA

View Full Version : Which airline is the best and worst for flight delays to and from Tenerife?

Su1
24-08-2012, 11:07
I have just been reading about a recent 50 hour delay for Monarch pasengers to Birmingham from Tenerife. When we came out in June, a lady working in the duty free at Luton said she noticed how frequently Monarch planes had been delayed.
I wondered if we could keep a tally on the forum of any delays encountered by any airline, how passengers were looked after or not etc. Notes could be made if any recompense was offered from the airline. This may help future decisions of whom to book with and if the worst happens what you can expect!

Just a thought.............

garlicbread
24-08-2012, 11:26
Monarch flight ZB565 to Manchester scheduled to leave at 13.30 on Tuesday Aug 21 finally left at 17.30 on Wednesday Aug 22 and that's not the first time it has happened.

blondie
24-08-2012, 11:39
Once again prepared to be shot down in flames but in the many years wehave flown to Tenerife with Ryanair , we have never been delayed , either inward or outward journeys. Ready for the fallout!!!

emskie
24-08-2012, 12:02
Blondie I am with you there, Ryanir seem to me to be the most online and monarch are terrible!

Su1
24-08-2012, 12:06
Once again prepared to be shot down in flames but in the many years wehave flown to Tenerife with Ryanair , we have never been delayed , either inward or outward journeys. Ready for the fallout!!!

I certainly won't shoot you down......we too have never been delayed with Ryanair..............and we have flown with them lots of times to Tenerife...and have more flights booked.......cheaper too! As long as you abide by the rules ...no hassle.

karinagal
24-08-2012, 12:15
Our Monarch flight from Manchester to Tenerife on Friday 13th July due to depart at 3.30pm left at 7.25am next morning. We were put up in a hotel but had to organise our own meals as Monarch had told the hotel we had been fed......

I've had the odd delay with Ryanair but the most has been an hour or so..

anegib
24-08-2012, 12:37
I agree with Blondie 'touch wood' I have not had any delays flying with Ryanair.

Angusjim
24-08-2012, 14:02
In the past 5 years we have used Ryanair at least 5 times per year and I can only think of one occasion that a flight was late and it was because we were diverted because of fog at Prestwick.

Tom & Sharon
24-08-2012, 14:20

I normally always fly with Ryanair as I have the benefit of Liverpool and Manchester airports close by in the UK and I have only had one delay of 2.5hrs on the 19.50hrs Friday flight out of Manchester once!!

Never normally more than 10/15 mins behind schedule on take off and ALWAYS :dontknow: land early...........OMG that bl**dy jingle they always play on arrival drives me insane :gun:

Actually,when I think about it or eldest son was on a flight here on 28th July on the 13.30 Ryanair flight from Liverpool which had to make an emergency landing in Porto in Portugal on the way to Tenerife OOOooooppppsss........ :doh:

Tom

Vortex Wake
24-08-2012, 14:47
My Ryanair flights tend to arrive early.

Muppet
24-08-2012, 14:49
Nothing wrong with using Ryan Air, just remember to take a spare gallon or two of petrol with you -

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/08/21/inenglish/1345554933_464978.html

Tom & Sharon
24-08-2012, 14:58
Nothing wrong with using Ryan Air, just remember to take a spare gallon or two of petrol with you -

http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/08/21/inenglish/1345554933_464978.html

Not to mention 'duct tape' LOL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2052751/Ryanair-plane-taped-window-Sticky-tape-came-loose-mid-air-flight-turned-back.html

Tom :tiphat:

KirstyJay
24-08-2012, 15:49
My Ryanair flights tend to arrive early.and they certainly make sure you know it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRrQw4Us9o

Vortex Wake
24-08-2012, 16:35
and they certainly make sure you know it!!!

Yes, I did line up a link but the forum would not allow the correct start point using the VIDEO tags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVZot63ZnQ&hd=1&t=5m11s

KirstyJay
24-08-2012, 16:39
Yes, I did line up a link but the forum would not allow the correct start point using the VIDEO tags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BVZot63ZnQ&hd=1&t=5m11s
Yes, BB Code is different.

Read this :

http://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=bbcode

Here is how you can do a start offset. Just found out it is possible :)

EDIT > But it's not working on here. ??? Maybe VB don't allow it...

VB info here : https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

marbro8
24-08-2012, 17:20
we have flown with monarch about 5 times now and been delayed about "now lets see???" oh yes 5 times:angry: so last time we decided to fly over with monarch(which was delayed) and flew back with Thomas cook because the return flight time was earlier, but it was not only delayed we were not able to sit in the seats that we had booked and paid for:angry:,there was a problem with the computer system, and when we complained about it on line they sent me an e-mail that was impossible to open:angry: so in my opinion they are all much the same, bad service and bad communication:angry:

martinc
24-08-2012, 17:36
Ryanair have to win, cheapest prices, on time flights. Never had a problem with them, been using them six times a year since they started flying to Tenerife.

marbro8
24-08-2012, 17:44
do they fly from birmingham?

Leam_Lin
24-08-2012, 18:04
do they fly from birmingham?
Yes. early morning Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday if I remember correctly, then the return flight gets in around 16.30.

Earlier in the week I looked for flights returning late March but none were showing.

lesbroz
24-08-2012, 18:05
My OH and I used to be frequent flyers with Monarch. However, about 3 years ago just about every flight we had with them was delayed. Now we stick with either Ryanair of Jet 2. Just had the one delay of 2 hours with Jet 2.

chifleta
24-08-2012, 18:09
Don't ever every fly with My Other Half.... my flights are only ever delayed for 12 to 24 hours IF My Other Half flies with me LOL

Joking aside, i've had (in the last 20 years) two big delays, once with Monarch and once with Easyjet.... I fly mainly with Easyjet and prefer them to tell the truth over Monarch... I've never flown with Ryanair, mainly because they only have a 15kg limit on luggage LOL and also I find their website confusing ....

kingbaker
24-08-2012, 18:11
Our Monarch flight from Manchester to Tenerife on Friday 13th July due to depart at 3.30pm left at 7.25am next morning. We were put up in a hotel but had to organise our own meals as Monarch had told the hotel we had been fed......

I've had the odd delay with Ryanair but the most has been an hour or so..

That's what you get for flying with a second class airline:hello::whistle:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

and they certainly make sure you know it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRrQw4Us9o

Good one Kirsty, was trying to figure out where to get the jingle, but you beat me to it. :lol: :hello:

marbro8
24-08-2012, 19:22
Yes. early morning Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday if I remember correctly, then the return flight gets in around 16.30.

Earlier in the week I looked for flights returning late March but none were showing. those flight times are great, but we have already booked for october now, 6 of us with monarch, but looking to come back in may next year hopefully 12 of us, but just looked at prices for about 24th may and was dearer than monarch ,£340 each? and if you have to add on things like luggage
then it is quite expensive;)

Don't ever every fly with My Other Half.... my flights are only ever delayed for 12 to 24 hours IF My Other Half flies with me LOL

Joking aside, i've had (in the last 20 years) two big delays, once with Monarch and once with Easyjet.... I fly mainly with Easyjet and prefer them to tell the truth over Monarch... I've never flown with Ryanair, mainly because they only have a 15kg limit on luggage LOL and also I find their website confusing ....

i didn't know that easyjet flew to tenerife? probably because they only fly from london based airports and i have been looking for birmingham

Leam_Lin
24-08-2012, 19:38
Marbro, just looked on the ryanair page & the last flights showing are March 28th 2013, where did you see the flights for may.

marbro8
24-08-2012, 19:49
Marbro, just looked on the ryanair page & the last flights showing are March 28th 2013, where did you see the flights for may.
typed in ryan air into google and also skyscanner and it gave me the top 5 cheap flight search engines and it was on there, actually thinking about it i don't think it gave me the results from ryanair it might have been monarch and thomas cook lol

Sal
24-08-2012, 19:55
Must admit we were worried when our local airline Palmair went out of business, but now we fly Ryanair (at half the cost of Palmair) and always arrive on time. People like to knock them, but Ryanair provide a cheap, but efficient service..............in most cases! :pray:

chifleta
24-08-2012, 20:43
those flight times are great, but we have already booked for october now, 6 of us with monarch, but looking to come back in may next year hopefully 12 of us, but just looked at prices for about 24th may and was dearer than monarch ,£340 each? and if you have to add on things like luggage

i didn't know that easyjet flew to tenerife? probably because they only fly from london based airports and i have been looking for birmingham

yeah i'm one of the lucky ones that nearly always has to pay over the average price because I have to fly to Gatwick ughhh.... I might try for Bournemouth next time with Ryanair (who don't fly to Gatwick) ... but i'd still have to fly in or out of Gatwick ... dad is in Wiltshire, mum is in Kent LOL and never the twain shall meet... well actually we normally meet up at Fleet service station when i'm going from one to other LOL

john b
24-08-2012, 20:51
I live in in the Canaries and always use Ryanair. They have always been on time or early. I pray for them to be a minute late to avoid the aural onslaught!

Rick
24-08-2012, 21:12
I live in in the Canaries and always use Ryanair. They have always been on time or early. I pray for them to be a minute late to avoid the aural onslaught!

Save your prayers Ryanair ALWAYS play it EVEN WHEN LATE !! :tongue:

lesbroz
24-08-2012, 23:06
those flight times are great, but we have already booked for october now, 6 of us with monarch, but looking to come back in may next year hopefully 12 of us, but just looked at prices for about 24th may and was dearer than monarch ,£340 each? and if you have to add on things like luggage

Easyjet fly from Manchester if that is any good for you.

jolfc
25-08-2012, 07:01
we came back with jet2 to leeds/bradford on the 14th august, we set off at 3.15 p.m and should have landed at 7.50 p.m,we landed at about 7 p.m give or take a few minutes. unfortunately as we were so early we had to sit on the plane for 20 minutes waiting for the bus, :lol::lol:
i have never touch wood had a delay on any flight in the last 10 years or so of travelling to tenerife.

beryl
25-08-2012, 08:54
We find Jet 2 very good for us from manchester or blackpool, but all the air fares seem to have gone up tremendously next year so shop around.

dixie4
25-08-2012, 08:55
I have flown many times with Monarch to Tenerife usually because they were cheaper than the budget airlines when you take into account baggage, seats etc. Sadly I do not ever remember the flights either taking off on time or landing on time. To be fair in most cases it was only up to 1/2 an hour but if you have schedules they should be kept to.

I have only flown Ryanair once when I had a quick trip to Granada on my own with hand baggage only. Arrival time was half past the hour and the wheels touched the runway at half past the hour on the dot. I was impressed to say the least.

marbro8
25-08-2012, 09:40
Easyjet fly from Manchester if that is any good for you.yes we have flown from manchester before and it only takes us about 1 hour to get home to walsall so will have a look thanks;)

BoPeep
25-08-2012, 10:05
Ryanair boasts of being the most on time with official stats to prove it!

I'm with Sharon, always leave a few minutes late and arrive a few minutes early with that b****y fanfare!

Santiago
25-08-2012, 16:00
We now always fly with Thomson from Bristol although it's not our nearest airport. They're not the cheapest but their flights are always on time or early, (give or take a few minutes), unless outside forces affect them. Their staff are always friendly and pleasant and seats can be reserved (£15 per person return), by visiting their website and choosing exactly where you want to sit! We were delayed once when the Spanish air traffic controllers were on strike and spent a very pleasant night in a hotel in Adeje with dinner and breakfast provided, and we were also requested to keep any receipts for meals during the rest of the day and to claim them from Thomson on arrival at home. I can thoroughly recommend them!!

Also, Easyjet fly from Bristol and their prices are here: http://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/Bristol/Tenerife-South

Su1
26-08-2012, 13:11
Thomson's were superb in looking after friends whom were delayed because of the ash cloud. They could have returned to our apartment however Thomsons put them up in the Arona Gran ...all inclusive ......plus a private taxi from the airport....not bad for a flight only purchase. However we find if we try to book to Tenerife from Luton or Stansted they are much more expensive than Ryanair /Monarch and as we only take hand luggage 5 kilo does not go far!

I think Monarch's problems with delays is because they now do not have any spare capacity (planes) and so if something goes wrong they are in a mess! Ryanair just cancel flights so their aircraft are in the correct places. Not a good scenario ..it hasn't happened to us yet but there is bound to be a first time!!!

macdonald5
26-08-2012, 17:29
We like Jet2 Glasgow/Tenerife - 23kg luggage ,comfy extra leg room seats,pleasant staff and were good day time flights, unfortunately May 2013 return flight time has now been changed from leaving Tenerife 2pm till 9pm so we won't get home till almost 3 in the morning - only once have we had few hours delay with them due to staff member being ill (totally unavoidable)
Thomson flights from Edinburgh or Glasgow do not have good flight times and can be pricey
Thomas Cook we find seating pretty cramped
Ryanair we avoid after having bad experience with them at ash cloud time ! - have used them a few times after Globespan went bust and despite not liking his business ethos found you got what it said on the can Only reason they always on time and can play that dreaded bugle is they allow extra flight times ie 5 hours where other airlines say 4hrs 45mins so they are almost always going to play that blooming jingle

TenerifeFanatic
26-08-2012, 20:08
We like Jet2 Glasgow/Tenerife - 23kg luggage ,comfy extra leg room seats,pleasant staff and were good day time flights, unfortunately May 2013 return flight time has now been changed from leaving Tenerife 2pm till 9pm so we won't get home till almost 3 in the morning - only once have we had few hours delay with them due to staff member being ill (totally unavoidable)
Thomson flights from Edinburgh or Glasgow do not have good flight times and can be pricey
Ryanair we avoid after having bad experience with them at ash cloud time ! - have used them a few times after Globespan went bust and despite not liking his business ethos found you got what it said on the can Only reason they always on time and can play that dreaded bugle is they allow extra flight times ie 5 hours where other airlines say 4hrs 45mins so they are almost always going to play that blooming jingleI totally concur with your post.......might have written it myself!!:jumping:

Susief
26-08-2012, 23:10
Ryanair we avoid after having bad experience with them at ash cloud time ! - have used them a few times after Globespan went bust and despite not liking his business ethos found you got what it said on the can Only reason they always on time and can play that dreaded bugle is they allow extra flight times ie 5 hours where other airlines say 4hrs 45mins so they are almost always going to play that blooming jingle

Think you are in the minority! Never had a Monarch flight on time but we are nearly always early or on time with RA.

Also think you'll find RA quotes 4hr 30mins or thereabouts from Man/Liverpool.

Hubby on his way tonight to TFS and was actually boarded at 7.25pm, took off bang on time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beryl
31-08-2012, 16:34
we cannot get ryanair ona a friday from liverpool but when we go to malaga airport you cant beat them for timing but tenerife is not good for fri flights so normally go for jet 2 with just cabin cases

Susief
31-08-2012, 18:30
we cannot get ryanair ona a friday from liverpool but when we go to malaga airport you cant beat them for timing but tenerife is not good for fri flights so normally go for jet 2 with just cabin cases

RA fly from/to Manchester on a Friday, have used it recently! Excellent service, daughter used it too and she was 20 mins early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minimadmandy
31-08-2012, 22:32
So far we have used Iberia (north airport), Thomas cook, Thomson and Monarch. Iberia always late, missed connections at Madrid and lost luggage on two occasions, never again. The. Rest are pretty much the same except Thomson is the most expensive. Now we mainly fly Monarch from Gatwick. In December 2010 when all airports were snowed in and the south was gridlocked with passengers sleeping at the airports. We travelled up to Luton and we were due to catch a flight at 6am. Monarch had been out all night defrosting their planes when all others including easy jet had cancelled all flights. We took off on time whilst others we still asleep on the floor in the airport.
I have also been stranded in gran canaria when all airport handling staff went on 24hr strike. All uk airlines left their passengers stranded at the airport all night with no food. Monarch took us to a hotel and fed us. Passengers of other airlines spent the night on the floor at the airport. I think it's when things go wrong when you really find out what airlines think of their passengers.