PDA

View Full Version : We are looking to buy a retirement property in Tenerife and want reviews of agents

mospat
25-08-2012, 08:54
My wife and me are coming to Tenerife soon to look at buying a retirement home. We see a huge number of property agencies offering some wonderful properties. Does anyone know of a rating list with reviews of these agencies.
Any help , ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Mospat

Balcony
25-08-2012, 09:11
Search this forum. There are comments about some agents. Not sure if they are always through experience tho!!! IYKWIM. The best way is go meet them and talk, then start asking around. Message

karinagal
25-08-2012, 09:30
We had a bit of a run in with Tenerife Property Shop and I understand that there have been others who have had a negative experience with them. I've heard good things about Clear Blue Skies although I haven't had any personal dealings with them.

There are two of our forum members - both whom I have met - who deal with property, I'm sure when they spot this thread they will be in touch.

Good luck!

Karina

The undisputed queen of de-nial

marbro8
25-08-2012, 09:44
try pm's to young golfer and cim they both deal in property and have been members on here for some years, i have never had any dealings with them as yet but after meeting both of them i would not hesitate to contact them if i wanted to purchase property in tenerife:wink:

chris
25-08-2012, 18:01
try pm's to young golfer and cim they both deal in property and have been members on here for some years, i have never had any dealings with them as yet but after meeting both of them i would not hesitate to contact them if i wanted to purchase property in tenerife:wink:

Yes I have bought a property using these guys and they are very professional in all they do.

lesbroz
25-08-2012, 22:42
Is there a particular area that you are looking in? As different estate agents will have expertise.

But I am sure our forum members will be great starting blocks.

mospat
26-08-2012, 06:31
Thank you, I am told the South of the island is the best for year round temperate weather, unless I hear different then that is where we will be searching.
Thanks again.

Rickiebear
26-08-2012, 08:25
Hi Mospat. Tenerife is an island of contrasts, the dryer south, where the major tourist resorts, and larger resort hotels are. And the greener, traditional north. I prefer the north, and bought in Puerto de la Cruz. Others prefer the south. Both areas have something to offer, be it large towns on the coast, or small villages in the hills.
Have you been to Tenerife before?
What do you want from your retirement?
Are you going to own a car?
Do you want a garden and/or pool.
I suggest you look around the island first. You can do this by bus in a day. Then spend a day in those areas you like best.
Remember a retirement home is not the same as a holiday home.
When you are ready to buy, find an estate agent you can work with, as has been said, there are a couple on this forum.

mospat
26-08-2012, 08:47
Many thanks for the advice,will now widen the search. As to your questions , only been to Tenerife once many yeas ago , should have bought then of course. We are looking for a house/villa with garden and preferably a pool also. Hope to acquire a car there when we eventually move.
P.S. This is an outstanding forum , one of the best I have come across!

Megaloo
26-08-2012, 09:53
What Rickiebear says is very true, I live in the North and love it here, but each to their own, so it would be much wiser to explore the Island more before making any decision as to where you will live, Tenerife has changed a lot over the years depending on how long ago you visited you may see a tremendous difference.

KirstyJay
26-08-2012, 10:02
Thank you, I am told the South of the island is the best for year round temperate weather, unless I hear different then that is where we will be searching.
Thanks again.For quiet areas, try Los Gigantes and Puerto Santiago on the West coast. Quiet, but warm :)

jack oakley
26-08-2012, 11:25
My wife and me are coming to Tenerife soon to look at buying a retirement home. We see a huge number of property agencies offering some wonderful properties. Does anyone know of a rating list with reviews of these agencies.
Mospat

I have no doubt you will find what you are looking for here in Tenerife, in reference to your enquiry regarding a ratings list i would advise you that the property agents in Tenerife are not regulated. Anyone can stick a few photo's on website and claim to be selling them and many do, there is no better time to buy a property here than at present as there are many genuine bargains to be had due to the current world financial climate. I would advise that if your search time is limited ie; one or two weeks you need to narrow your requirements, terrain matters, Los Gigantes is lovely but very hilly and you would need to be agile to reside there, properties in the major tourist areas will be much more expensive due to their rental potential. Security is an issue here (as it is everywhere), if you buy in a quite secluded area you will be vunererable, buying on a community is more secure as you will have neighbours. I personaly love south east, Los Abrigos, El Medano, Golf Del Sur, Las Chafiras, and the Amarilla Golf. They are all close to the airport and les expensive than the southwest coastal resorts, the Amarilla Golf is spectacular reasonably flat for long walks and lots of ex-pat britts live there. If you have the time 'try before you buy' rent in the area you fell comfortable in for a few months to get a true 'feel' for the place, if you don't have the time to do that and you wish to capitalise on the low prices that are prevelant at present then i would agree with other posters that forum members C.I.M. and Young Golfer are agents to be trusted with extensive knowledge of property and the buying proccess. Wish you well with your search and welcome to Tenerife. Jack.O

CIM
26-08-2012, 11:36
Thank you for the many recommendations.
Mospat - you can contact Young Golfer via his website here: http://PropertiesAreUs.com or myself via my website: http://TenerifeEstateAgents.net
We´re happy to offer advice on different areas, prices, where to start and the entire purchase process at your convenience.
As has been mentioned, now is a good time to start looking, there are some exceptional prices around, especially for residential properties.

BToon
26-08-2012, 12:31
My advice is to rent out here for 2 or 3 months first, that way you get a feeling for the lifestyle and can have a good look around at different areas. It worked for me. Good Luck

Angusjim
26-08-2012, 12:47
Mospat

As lots of others have said you won't go wrong with CIM & Young Golfer both good guys who will give you good HONEST information / advice:c2::c2: Good luck with your house hunting

Rickiebear
26-08-2012, 13:13
Hi, thanks Megaloo, one piece of advice we were given, was not to buy in the center of a busy resort. Great for a holiday, but not day after day, week after week.

Su1
26-08-2012, 13:20
I agree with Jack about renting. Before we bought our place we had quite a few holidays at different locations/times of the year to ascertain if we liked the areas enough before taking the plunge with our hard earned savings. We also listed essential criteria for us e.g .on/near a golf course, low rise, quiet area, two beds, easy access to airport, no need for car hire etc etc.

Mick
26-08-2012, 17:01
Mospat

Have never seen such a ratings list. Having bought my retirement home 3 years ago I was faced with the same problem.

I used about 6 agencies and gave them a spec of what I was looking for.

Some showed me only those properties that were close to my spec, but some showed me properties that were nothing like I wanted. I therefore eliminated these and stuck to 3 who did seem to listen to what I said!

In the end I used Tenerife Properties who are based at San Eugenio. They not only showed tremendous patience but also provided a great after sales service helping with many things such as NIE, services and generally being very helpful.

I can certainly recommend them.

joy
06-09-2013, 19:39
My husband and I plan to retire to the south coast in three years time and need to gather all the information we would need
to make this possible. This is my very first post on what looks like a very informative forum. we hope to check out the all the pitfalls:wave: and with 3 years to play with hopefully get everything ready in time.

Thanks for any help ..............Joy