PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Advice required on moving to Tenerife

GlitzyNat
26-08-2012, 15:32
Hi,

I am 23 and in love with the tenerife island i am going to be learning spanish this year and would then like to look for a job in tenerife and a place to live but i am quite nervous as to just giving up my job in england and going for it incase i am stuck then for a job, does anyone have any advice etc on this if they have done it before or know anyone that has?

Thanks

Margaretta
26-08-2012, 16:20
Hi Glitzynat!
Fulfilling a dream is a wonderful aim but you are right to be concerned as there is a great shortage of work in Tenerife.
I can understand that you want an adventure but it will not be easy and the situation with bills to pay etc. will not be the same as a holiday experience. You need to be doing lots of research and be really clear about what you want for your life in Tenerife and mainly: how much you can live on, for how long and what you will do if it doesn't work out or if your job isn't what you really want. The TF will help a lot if you spend time digging into the many threads here.
You are just about to start learning Spanish. Have you thought of perhaps a short-term period of work in South America which is of course a mainly Spanish-speaking continent? There are many voluntary organisations that do this and you will make friends and pick up Spanish very quickly with the advantages and reassurance of adventure, bed and board and a group situation. This would perhaps prepare you for starting out on your own at a later date.
Just a thought.....

GlitzyNat
26-08-2012, 19:20
Thanks for this , the main thing that is concerning me is what if it doesnt work out what would i have to live off also about accomodation i wouldnt be able to just move there by myself into an apartment i was maybe thinking of shared if they do them.

Thanks

Ed3229
27-08-2012, 09:03
Thanks for this , the main thing that is concerning me is what if it doesnt work out what would i have to live off also about accomodation i wouldnt be able to just move there by myself into an apartment i was maybe thinking of shared if they do them.

Thanks

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?14825-Why-be-negative-about-employment-in-Tenerife

Have a read of this thread.....

GlitzyNat
27-08-2012, 13:10
Thankyou for this seems like a very useful and intresting thread for me to be reading through, i dont know weather maybe taking a gap year from work at first may be the best option for me and see how things go then rather than give up my job altogether

Ed3229
27-08-2012, 13:40
Thankyou for this seems like a very useful and intresting thread for me to be reading through, i dont know weather maybe taking a gap year from work at first may be the best option for me and see how things go then rather than give up my job altogether

That's the most sensible answer I've seen on here in a long time......Im sure you will enjoy a few months on the island.

GlitzyNat
31-08-2012, 19:44
Thankyou :-), i am certainly not one to just quit my job in the uk and move over to tenerife with no money or no experience or place to stay etc , as much as i love the place it would be a stupid thing to do. I have applied for my career break today with work for may 2014 this gives me chance to save money and plan ahead.

slodgedad
01-09-2012, 01:26
Thankyou :-), i am certainly not one to just quit my job in the uk and move over to tenerife with no money or no experience or place to stay etc , as much as i love the place it would be a stupid thing to do. I have applied for my career break today with work for may 2014 this gives me chance to save money and plan ahead.
You are one of the lucky ones then, to be able to take an extended break from work.
If you can then why not live the dream, take the gable as you have nothing to lose.
If, however', you are packing a job in and coming on a whim, then definiyely think twice.
Unemployment here, even for fluent Spanish speaking immigrants, is horrendous.

Tinkerbexx
27-10-2013, 04:41
Hi! I'm also having a career break from May 2014 and trying my chances in Tenerife.....if you wanted we could have chat about everything, maybe even look into apartment sharing or something. I have a Canarian friend who has told me my own place would be about 300€ a month in the south including bills. He is helping me a lot so I can pass on any information to you aswell if you need it :) Problem shared problem halved and all that :p Bex x

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hi! I'm also having a career break from May 2014 and trying my chances in Tenerife.....if you wanted we could have chat about everything, maybe even look into apartment sharing or something. I have a Canarian friend who has told me my own place would be about 300€ a month in the south including bills. He is helping me a lot so I can pass on any information to you aswell if you need it :) Problem shared problem halved and all that :p Bex x

Scotland
23-12-2013, 13:01
I am moving to Tenerife in the new year and decided to take some Spanish Lessons before I moved I found a great Spanish School in Edinburgh www.saltedinburgh.co.uk I would like to continue my studies in Tenerife can anyone recommend a Private Tutor to help me to continue with my lessons?

bonitatime
23-12-2013, 17:52
I am moving to Tenerife in the new year and decided to take some Spanish Lessons before I moved I found a great Spanish School in Edinburgh www.saltedinburgh.co.uk I would like to continue my studies in Tenerife can anyone recommend a Private Tutor to help me to continue with my lessons?

Not sure where you Will be living but KirstyJay has a language School