PDA

View Full Version : Television Will my skybox and card work in Tenerife?

wanderer
27-08-2012, 19:16
I am living in Tenerife for periods of up to 6 months; can anyone throw any light on whether I can bring my Sky TV card out to Tenerife and will it operate if I have a skybox and satelite dish?

doingok
27-08-2012, 19:44
i believe the dish has to be a 3m dish which is some size and costly for only 6 months though where you stay might have one and you could try and get a feed from it if its pointing the right way.

lesbroz
27-08-2012, 21:53
I am living in Tenerife for periods of up to 6 months; can anyone throw any light on whether I can bring my Sky TV card out to Tenerife and will it operate if I have a skybox and satelite dish?

In a nutshell yes you can. However, you will not be able to pick up BBC, ITV etc

julia44
28-08-2012, 05:23
If you have a connection to a 3m satelite dish you can get all the channels including BBC, ITV etc. My card is only Freeview and I receive all the same channels you would get in the UK.

woolli
28-08-2012, 09:15
i believe the dish has to be a 3m dish which is some size and costly for only 6 months though where you stay might have one and you could try and get a feed from it if its pointing the right way.

It will work with a 1m dish.

doingok
28-08-2012, 11:07
It will work with a 1m dish.
woolli will thats is news to me i have tried a 1m dish and no joy most are all 3m ones and i used to fit them in the uk on a motor to receive over 15 different satellite?
would love more info if it can be done.

wanderer
28-08-2012, 11:18
thanks for replies but think 3m dish too big for our property! Why are things never simple!!!

In The Sun
28-08-2012, 12:23
I have a 1 meter dish and I get all sky sports in normal and HD. I get all the most of the discovery channels I also get a few other channels icluding Sky News, Sky 1, Sky 2, Dave, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, ect

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

[QUOTE=In The Sun;211099]
I have a 1 meter dish and I get all sky sports icluding Sky F1 in normal and HD. I get all the most of the discovery channels I also get a few other channels icluding Sky News, Sky 1, Sky 2, Dave, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, ect

doingok
28-08-2012, 12:34
I have a 1 meter dish and I get all sky sports icluding Sky F1 in normal and HD. I get all the most of the discovery channels I also get a few other channels icluding Sky News, Sky 1, Sky 2, Dave, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, ect

Right i will have to sort this out as i will bring a open box and only have to pay £10 for all the sky package including ESPN so i hope you re right.

Cheers
In The Sun

carpenter
28-08-2012, 12:55

If you are paying for Sky and internet back in the UK (if that's where you are) then look into getting a slingbox. I don't know the exact science but it sends everything you have in the UK to a computer anywhere in the world. That computer is then linked to a TV if you like and you can watch telly as normal. No dish and no extra payments.

You only pay for the British subscription and the ADSL here. Hey presto British TV for swallows.

doingok
28-08-2012, 13:04
If you are paying for Sky and internet back in the UK (if that's where you are) then look into getting a slingbox. I don't know the exact science but it sends everything you have in the UK to a computer anywhere in the world. That computer is then linked to a TV if you like and you can watch telly as normal. No dish and no extra payments.

You only pay for the British subscription and the ADSL here. Hey presto British TV for swallows.

i only pay £10 a month for sky so i need a dish so i just have to pay what i am now.

carpenter
28-08-2012, 13:13
i only pay £10 a month for sky so i need a dish so i just have to pay what i am now.

I'm not sure I follow as I was answering the OP but if you want a small dish installation then Chafiras were offering the bracket, Dish (either 90cm or 1m) the LNB and fitting fo less than €100. Which isn't a bad price.

doingok
28-08-2012, 13:20
no thats sound a good price for a 1m dish will i be able to get sky on it though?

carpenter
28-08-2012, 13:23
That's what I don't know. I can guess but that doesn't help you. Where I live I share a 3M dish and even then I don't get Skysports when I'm meant to. So best ask someone else.

woolli
28-08-2012, 13:24
woolli will thats is news to me i have tried a 1m dish and no joy most are all 3m ones and i used to fit them in the uk on a motor to receive over 15 different satellite?
would love more info if it can be done.
Sorry, I dont have any more info, it just works on my 1m dish. I was just saying you dont need a 3m dish.
I dont know this, as I am not well up on this sort of thing, but could it depend on whereabouts you live on the island?

karaokeking
29-08-2012, 11:12
Hy. I don't know about bringing your own box across, but i have had sky for a few years now with a one metre dish. After saying that we have lost a few progs, like 5USA,and chanel 5, and of course there is no one to complain to as we are not supposed to have Sky in Tenerife.Also of course to get Sky you have to have an address in England.

lesbroz
29-08-2012, 20:14
If you bring your sky receiver and card to tenerife, you will receive most freeview channels along with whatever Sky package you subscribe to. This will work on a 1m dish, but you will not get BBC/ITV etc. if you only have a 1m dish. I also had any extra cable put in by Mennyfix to enable me to use the sky+ facility. Hope this helps.