PDA

View Full Version : Other How can I convince my wife to come to Tenerife?

GunnerBill
28-08-2012, 00:07
Hi!

How can I convince my wife to come to Tenerife? Which sounds a bit snobby I guess but she's concerned that my chosen destination for July next year being the Gran Tacande at Playa del Duque, Fanabe will see us besieged by drunk and badly behaved Brits day and night. Playa Las Americas is over 3 km away right?

I've done a bit of research and it seems good (in fact very good) but I'm not feeling the love from her over this!

We plan to hire a car and to know that we can easily find quieter places/restaruants perhaps in the higher areas might help.

Also any other tips useful. We have kids (12 & 15) if that helps. Clearly the Siam park will feature.

Ta!

Ed3229
28-08-2012, 08:08
You will all be tucked up in bed before any youths venture out.The nightlife starts around midnight !!
My wife was unsure but after her first visit she loves Tenerife.
I take my young family to the island and always have a great time.
You will find such a lot to do on the island and the forum members will point you in the right direction.
I don't know the Gran Tecande but I know somebody on here will give you advice .

junglejim
28-08-2012, 10:42
You are situated at the quieter end of Las Americas with a choice of using the Bahia Del Duque beach or slighly further away Faņabe/Torviscas beach.
Plenty of good quality restaurants in Bahia del Duque and nearby La Caleta - 5 mins in car or 15 min walk or up in Adeje town or elsewhere that may take your fancy .

coxan56
28-08-2012, 19:38
We stay in Torviscos with no problems, we go three times a year and we love it. We are O A Ps but we never have. Anything to make us worry about going out at night

Ann

Sunlover
28-08-2012, 20:10
Buy her some new posh frocks, she'll certainly need them at that end, also new beachwear as Del duque is a 5 star beach. Oh and some matching shoes and handbag, for the evening promenade along the lovely seafront prom, whilst watching the beautiful sunset over La Gomera. Wish it was me :cheeky:

warbey
28-08-2012, 20:28
I just looked at the Total of Members of this Forum. There were 10.212

We cant all be wrong.

Enjoy Your first Holiday. It could well be the first of many.

P.S. Welcome to Our Forum..

GunnerBill
28-08-2012, 20:37
Thanks for the replies, I checked out some of the links and suggestions elsewhere on the forum and what with tripAdivsor she's convinced. We're especially looking forward to exploring Mt Tiede and the lava tubes!

Anyway flilghts & hotel booked!

Sundowner
28-08-2012, 21:02
Hi!

How can I convince my wife to come to Tenerife? Which sounds a bit snobby I guess but she's concerned that my chosen destination for July next year being the Gran Tacande at Playa del Duque, Fanabe will see us besieged by drunk and badly behaved Brits day and night. Playa Las Americas is over 3 km away right?

I've done a bit of research and it seems good (in fact very good) but I'm not feeling the love from her over this!

We plan to hire a car and to know that we can easily find quieter places/restaruants perhaps in the higher areas might help.

Also any other tips useful. We have kids (12 & 15) if that helps. Clearly the Siam park will feature.

Ta!

You will not need a car to find quieter places or restaurants........the prices in your chosen area will guarantee you peace, but you will need deep pockets as you have just booked yourselves into what I would call the Mayfair of Tenerife!

Have a nice holiday.........and try to keep your wife away from all the shopping boutiques you will be surrounded with.......unless you have just won the lottery!!

GunnerBill
28-08-2012, 23:11
but you will need deep pockets as you have just booked yourselves into what I would call the Mayfair of Tenerife!

lol, there's got to be some benefit to working on this crummy oil rig right? :laugh:

What I liked about Cyprus a few years ago was yes the good restaruants in the posher areas but some surprisingly good but basic cafes you just came across in the remoter parts.

slodgedad
28-08-2012, 23:33
The main problem with unexperienced visitors to the island is the TV reviews.

The loonnies are assembled in one very small area but the press label Tenerife as a 24 hour disco.

Every town has it's 'nightlife' but you don't have to go there.

Imagine living in village in the UK a mile away from the idiot drinkers and having your place being linked.

South Tenerife has everything for everyone and, unless you want it, the two extremes never meet.

Andy0210
28-08-2012, 23:52
Leave her at home and come on your own, sounds like you would have a better time without her ;)

Roadkingrider
29-08-2012, 13:44
Tenerife can be anything you want it to be.............really chavvy (which a lot of it is), peaceful or picturesque or sporty etc. Can't say I ever came across anywhere as remotely 'classy' as Mayfair etc, but maybe wasn't looking in the right places. My favourite town? Candelaria - would move there full-time if I won the Lottery. Really interesting, away from all the tourists and got everything you want. Well worth a visit - or stay there, as I did, for a few days when the SC carnival was one. Just a bus hope away and a taxi back.

jono
29-08-2012, 15:01
[QUOTE=GunnerBill;211277]lol, there's got to be some benefit to working on this crummy oil rig right? :laugh:

Spent a great deal of time on oil rigs out in the North sea,( as a lad) in the good old days.
Now with a bit of luck and the wind behind me, I will be spending even more time in tenerife.
The beach where you and your family are staying is my favorite place for a swim.
The area is top doller, We stayed there last year, took our young grandson to Siam park (I did the power tower, he was to short) Loro Parque, with the dolpins and Orcasa class act, your boys will enjoy, and I am sure you will all have a great time.
The downside?( been here ) your good lady wife having changed her views somewhat ( thats what girls do) might wanrt to invest in a wee villa.
Well good luck if that one comes your way, cos theres a lot of it about, and no cure for it.

reg jono

Tenerife Sun
29-08-2012, 17:51
Don't forget to show her the north of the island hopefully she will fall in love with it as I have done. I live withing walking distance of Puerto de la Cruz and love it here.

johnh1
01-09-2012, 15:34
Can I recommend to you The Winchester Bar. Good food and drink at low prices. on the sea front at Fanabe at the Del Duque end. My daughter and her partner run it!! I think you will like it.