PDA

View Full Version : Travel Is it fair to ask a dog to travel?

BoPeep
29-08-2012, 15:00
We know of a lovely dog in Tenerife that needs a home and we would really really love to look after him.

The only trouble is we are swallows, Oct to March.

What are the forums views of bringing the dog to and fro every 6 months. Has anyone done it? Do you think it unfair on the dog and is he better off in the Refuge waiting for a home that never comes? How do dogs cope with the flight? He is a very calm dog, well laid back!

The cost and inconvenience is not a worry to me, I just miss my dog soooo much.

YOUNG GOLFER
29-08-2012, 16:19
Hi BoPeep,

I would think the dog would be fine.......... after all look at how many dogs here in Tenerife that are already stuck in a refuge.....I am sure if dogs could talk you would have 1000s here who would jump at the chance to be with a loving owner like yourself.

Go get that dog:dogwalk::dogwalk::dogwalk: i am sure you will both be very happy.:wink:

slodgedad
29-08-2012, 17:00
Have you considered the cost?

Expensive enough to take a dog one way but to do it twice a year, regardless of the dog's feelings', will be expensive.

anegib
29-08-2012, 18:11
You really seem to love him. So if you can afford it go ahead and have a happy life together.

carpenter
29-08-2012, 19:05
I don't think it matters a toss what anyone here thinks. If you are willing to give a dog from anywhere a forever home no one can question you.

Anyway that's what pet travel is all about isn't it?

Tojack
29-08-2012, 19:30
Well my dog was 8 years old when i flew him here.As you can see from my avatar he didn't mind it's warmer than the river don

BoPeep
29-08-2012, 19:34
Your dog looks great! Mine would have to fly twice a year though. How was he after the flight? Had he been sick, did he just seem normal or subdued? Was he crazy to see you?

primrose
29-08-2012, 20:27
Your dog looks great! Mine would have to fly twice a year though. How was he after the flight? Had he been sick, did he just seem normal or subdued? Was he crazy to see you?

We brought 2 cats over with us, they flew on the same plane and they were fine no problem at all, to me there is no contest, a loving home with 2 flights a year or a life in a
Refuge.Get the dog and enjoy your life together.:doggy:

warbey
29-08-2012, 20:29
Thats a hard question to answer.
Once You start You would find it difficult to stop for obvious reasons.

As Young Golfer says, better two Trips a Year with love, than a cold Kennel for the rest of Your lifre.

Be fair to Yourself though by being sure before You do it, and enjoy the Dog's Love when You do.

glostergirl
29-08-2012, 21:22
i took my springer to tenerife when he was a year old that was 12yrs ago he had a really bad trip and i promised him i would never make him fly again!! but guess what i lied i brought him back to uk last month after us all living in tenerife and he had a brilliant flight!! this time he was coming home as a old half blind arthritic dog but he was looked after really well by pets at home no probs!! the choice is yours at the end of the day!!

slodgedad
29-08-2012, 21:46
Looking back to the original question,

Don't ask him...:lol:

Tojack
29-08-2012, 22:11

He was not sick on the flight.Bit subdued till he heard our voices.Then he just wanted a beer and a packet of crisp.He knew he was back with who loved and cared for him.Also get in touch with forum member Pets@home if they have dogs going back to UK they could save you money as well as other dog owners.

Megaloo
29-08-2012, 22:39
A friend of mine did that with her dog for a few years until the last year of her life and it worked well.

Sundowner
30-08-2012, 10:25
I think if your dog could speak it would be saying "What are you waiting for! Come and get me"

tracy hampshire
30-08-2012, 10:36
i have two friends who come to puerto de la cruz for 6 months every winter, they live in germany & always bring there little dog jake with them, & sometimes even fly back to germany for a couple of weeks at christmas taking jake back with them, so sometimes thats 4 flights for him, he never shows any ill effects & loves his holidays in the sun, infact most of the germans bring there dogs on holiday with them,& a few brits do too.

timmylish
31-08-2012, 01:39
I think the question is simple to answer. If you did not do this what happens to the dog.

THE END!

BoPeep
02-09-2012, 11:55
Ironically I had just about made the decision with your help and my husband was just about there too when we got an e mail saying he has his passport and is on his way to Germany next week.

We have a flight booked to come over and see him a week after he has gone!

Soooo sad but is it for the best....I hope so.