PDA

View Full Version : Other We wanted to come to Tenerife for January 2013

caroll72
29-08-2012, 21:26
Spent hours contacting different agents/websites for a apartment to rent for the whole month of Jan 2013.
Really wanted to come out for the month to re-visit our old haunts that we knew & loved when we live there for 4 years.

Try as i might, nothing doing. Flights are ridiculous prices, apartments dont come under 800 euros for the month unless you rent long term, which is a minimum of 3 months.

Do a package deal & pay the earth to stay somewhere like Laguna Park 2, which is fine if you don't mind the long walk uphill.

Wev'e ended up with a month, all inclusive in Egypt for a fraction of what we'd pay for Tenerife.

What i don't get is why Tenerife is so expensive to visit.
Apartments empty cos owners too scared to rent them out with the illegal lettings law.
Package deals way out reach.
Just what is going on?? :confused::confused:

MrsTT
30-08-2012, 07:54
It`s not that Tenerife is expensive but that Eygpt is cheap, because they are trying to compensate for the fact that the political situation is unstable.

nelson
30-08-2012, 09:39
its a funny one how so many people go to Egypt without thought for the terrorism and nowadays the political instability. Years ago a family from halifax lost grandmother,daughter and granddaughter. They were all butchered visiting a monument site in the desert along with many others. Islamic terrorists first chased off the tour armed security staff and then for several hours they calmly hunted the tourists down and murdered them, it was like hide and seek , tourists trying to find refuge around the monuments. There have been shootings of tourists in lines waiting for tour coaches . My own father in law dreams of a nile cruise, always looking for the bargain deals. when I mention these incidents, and all this was happening before the revolution, he says, well you could get killed crossing the road.

Maybe I am too safety consious, but I would never dream of taking my family to Egypt for the reasons above. I am always amazed at the many who do, presumabley a lot of them have no idea of what type of place it actually is.

Harmonicaman
30-08-2012, 09:44
Nice way to set Caroll72s mind at ease there Nelson...:laugh: Bet you're a right laugh in the pub!

nelson
30-08-2012, 11:15
its just interesting how diferent people see the situation. In my book I would no sooner take myself and my family to Egypt than to afganistan or Iraq. The incidents I write about are all very real, google them. But I accept a great many people just dont regard Egypt as in any way risky.

A few years ago my business partner and his wife took a holiday to cyprus. They saw a 3 day cruise to Egypt and the sites advertised , so they booked on it. This was like a holiday within a holiday. They sailed across to Egypt and disembarked for the hotel. His observations on the place were that it stank, and the hassle from beggars/sellers made our lookie lookie men seem resonable. As for security to avoid being killed during their trip, coach tours to the monuments were by coach convoy. Armed guards were stationed on the coaches and there were supporting vehichles in the convoy with machine guns. At every crossroads the police stopped the other traffic to allow the coach convoy safe passage , crossroads were a particular risk in case of suicide car bombers.

Sharm el shiek is a remote enclave far to the south of cairo, it was more or less untouched by the revolution. In my opinion ii is only a matter of time before a terrorist attack occurs there. There has already been a bomb incident pre revolution.

As I say, maybe I am being over causious, but I always find it strange how so many people choose to browse the brochures and make the Egypt choice over other destinations, with no thought about the nature of the place.

Harmonicaman
30-08-2012, 12:28
its just interesting how diferent people see the situation. In my book I would no sooner take myself and my family to Egypt than to afganistan or Iraq. The incidents I write about are all very real, google them. But I accept a great many people just dont regard Egypt as in any way risky.

A few years ago my business partner and his wife took a holiday to cyprus. They saw a 3 day cruise to Egypt and the sites advertised , so they booked on it. This was like a holiday within a holiday. They sailed across to Egypt and disembarked for the hotel. His observations on the place were that it stank, and the hassle from beggars/sellers made our lookie lookie men seem resonable. As for security to avoid being killed during their trip, coach tours to the monuments were by coach convoy. Armed guards were stationed on the coaches and there were supporting vehichles in the convoy with machine guns. At every crossroads the police stopped the other traffic to allow the coach convoy safe passage , crossroads were a particular risk in case of suicide car bombers.

Sharm el shiek is a remote enclave far to the south of cairo, it was more or less untouched by the revolution. In my opinion ii is only a matter of time before a terrorist attack occurs there. There has already been a bomb incident pre revolution.

As I say, maybe I am being over causious, but I always find it strange how so many people choose to browse the brochures and make the Egypt choice over other destinations, with no thought about the nature of the place.

I agree with you here. I'm actually surprised it hasn't been bombed to hell and back already.

TOTO 99
30-08-2012, 12:42
If it's all about budget then Tenerife will lose every time!

Egypt, Turkey, Greece, all offering 2 weeks all inclusive for less than a week self catering in Tenerife.

But I don't want to go there. I want to go to Tenerife, stay where I know and like, fly at times that suit me etc. all of which basically add up to a bespoke holiday and that is going to cost. I accept it.

Flights have gone up. So has pretty much everything else in our everyday lives.

Tenerife offers value for money, what more can we ask?

nelson
30-08-2012, 13:19
yes agreed. Leaving out the danger factor from Egypt, there are many many choices worldwide for holiday destination. Many of these are less developed economies with very low local living standards and pay rates. Tenerife has to compete with these destinations, and there are many customers who look at price as the key factor. Given an ai deal for a hotel in tenerife or a hotel in dominican republic, if you dont mind the flight time then price is going to make the deal. For others they prefer tenerife and their bespoke choice, and cost is not the deciding factor.Tenerife can only try to do its best to attract as many holiday makers as it can of as many preferences as it can. Sucess for tenerife is unlikely to come from a one size fits all mentality. The other problem for tenerife is that Ai offers may be too cheap for the hotels own good. You do not envy the hotels negotiating with the holiday big boys , knocking them down in price, and at the end of the day the hotels need to try to make a profit, so I am sure given the world wide competitive pressures , that they must be cutting things pretty fine with some of the Ai offers.

tracy hampshire
30-08-2012, 13:33
there are usually some really good offers on flights, if you don´t mind flying new years eve/ day, a friend if mine often flys over here then & gets some cheap flights .

minimadmandy
30-08-2012, 13:37
I think for holidays during the UK summer months Tenerife has to compete with hundreds of other destinations. Many of which will be cheaper simply because of the flight costs alone. However I think for the winter months there are very few places that can compete on distance and price.

We have been coming out to the Canaries for a week in Feb for the last 20 odd years and started doing that in out 20's to get away from the winter weather.
We have tried Other destinations but the weather has never been as good. However we were lucky that we could afford to do a winter break as a family.
Now families are lucky if they get one holiday a year and a lot will choose cheaper destinations and AI if they are on a budget.
I still think for those not tied to school holidays and the lucky ones who can holiday for a month over winter Tenerife is still a perfect destination, i have never considered Egypt for some of the reasons stated above. That's why in the end we bought a place in Tenerife.

TF1
30-08-2012, 13:51
There is, quite simply, nowhere else with superb year round climate with the protection of European security and values. The Canary Islands can charge a fair price for tourism, whereas "3rd class" destinations such as Egypt can only try to compete by underselling.
By the way, did Egypt ever pass that law they were talking about last year, prohibiting mixed bathing and bikinis?:wink:

chifleta
30-08-2012, 14:24
its a funny one how so many people go to Egypt without thought for the terrorism and nowadays the political instability. Years ago a family from halifax lost grandmother,daughter and granddaughter. They were all butchered visiting a monument site in the desert along with many others. Islamic terrorists first chased off the tour armed security staff and then for several hours they calmly hunted the tourists down and murdered them, it was like hide and seek , tourists trying to find refuge around the monuments. There have been shootings of tourists in lines waiting for tour coaches . My own father in law dreams of a nile cruise, always looking for the bargain deals. when I mention these incidents, and all this was happening before the revolution, he says, well you could get killed crossing the road.

Maybe I am too safety consious, but I would never dream of taking my family to Egypt for the reasons above. I am always amazed at the many who do, presumabley a lot of them have no idea of what type of place it actually is.

Totally agree with you, and it's one of the places i'd love to visit...

delderek
30-08-2012, 18:43
Package holiday companies in the UK are rubbish. You can get a lovely cheap holiday in Dubai in August for a very cheap price (now I love Dubai, its one of the nicest places on earth,,,,but not in July or August) they don't tell you that the temp can reach nearly 50 with 98% humidity. Out round the pool at 9, back in by 10, and spend a fortune in the bar at five times the price of Tenerife. But the package price is good, (Its only the Brits that go there, all the locals get out at that time of the year) and the brochure is enticing. do your homework, before you decide where to go.

caroll72
30-08-2012, 19:59
Thanks for all replies & opinions on the unrest in Egypt.
TBH, never been there before, we chose it simply because it was a damm site cheaper than Tenerife & still warm in the winter.
Since reading through the posts, iv'e done a bit of research, even looking at the fco.gov.uk website.
I can look at this 2 ways:

1. Go into panic mode, cancel & book somewhere else.
or
2. Go to Egypt with a open mind, enjoy our holiday & stay away from situations that could cause problems.
We will probably spend most of our time in the resort, it's 4 star & has it's own private beach.
Long gone are the days when we'd stay out till 3am & stagger home from our favourite karaoke bar, in fact, i wouldn't even do that in Tenerife anymore, cos even there, don't feel totally safe late at night.

I'm not going to put ourselves in any situation that could lead to robbery, mugging, attack etc.
Having said that, Can't really predict if there'll be a terrorist attack either!
Just keep our fingers crossed & enjoy what we have.:wink:

YOUNG GOLFER
30-08-2012, 20:17
Well cant blame you for going as you did try to book Tenerife and the month is very busy here.
Anyway have a great time i am sure you will be fine.
May be to give you peace of mind why not ask the expats on their forum what it's like right now.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/search.php?searchid=2454562&pp=25&page=2

delderek
30-08-2012, 20:31
Thanks for all replies & opinions on the unrest in Egypt.
TBH, never been there before, we chose it simply because it was a damm site cheaper than Tenerife & still warm in the winter.
Since reading through the posts, iv'e done a bit of research, even looking at the fco.gov.uk website.
I can look at this 2 ways:

1. Go into panic mode, cancel & book somewhere else.
or
2. Go to Egypt with a open mind, enjoy our holiday & stay away from situations that could cause problems.
We will probably spend most of our time in the resort, it's 4 star & has it's own private beach.
Long gone are the days when we'd stay out till 3am & stagger home from our favourite karaoke bar, in fact, i wouldn't even do that in Tenerife anymore, cos even there, don't feel totally safe late at night.

I'm not going to put ourselves in any situation that could lead to robbery, mugging, attack etc.
Having said that, Can't really predict if there'll be a terrorist attack either!
Just keep our fingers crossed & enjoy what we have.:wink:

Climate is good, warmer than Tenerife during the day, but a lot colder at night, and yes you will spend most of your time in the complex, because there is nowhere else to go, you can not wander through the towns, like Los Cris and PDLA, because it is not like that, it is a series of all in complexes. They are all OK, but so very different to the real resorts of Tenerife.

Sundowner
31-08-2012, 10:59
I can remember once being asked to recommend somewhere for a Christmas break that was warm.
I said Tenerife..........he found a cheap holiday to Tunisia! I told him it could be very cold in the winter.
He said no it's the desert,it's never cold!! Off he went.............

On his return I asked how he got on............." It bl**dy snowed"

caroll72
31-08-2012, 20:28
Hi. check the website www.elitelion.com, I have my studio on the website posted in 2 min walk from Fanabe beach and more options for rent on the site.

Thanks Niko, but iv'e already booked Egypt.

cainaries
31-08-2012, 20:43
I can remember once being asked to recommend somewhere for a Christmas break that was warm.
I said Tenerife..........he found a cheap holiday to Tunisia! I told him it could be very cold in the winter.
He said no it's the desert,it's never cold!! Off he went.............

On his return I asked how he got on............." It bl**dy snowed"

An extremely long time ago my mother and aunt went on holiday to Tunisia in March. My mother took her winter coat so she would have something warm to wear on the flights and when she came back ... and said she wore it every day, it was freezing cold, no heating in the hotel. Whole family still laugh at the photos of the two of them wrapped up in coats and scarves enjoying their winter sun.

stringfellas
31-08-2012, 21:50
i can remember swimming in the sea a few days before christmas and when i left for the uk on the 8th january the temperture was 28 degrees celsius

LeFrunk
31-08-2012, 22:09
We go every Jan and wouldnt miss it . Nothing like sitting on your balcony with a glass of vino chilling out , great . Todays price for flights in Jan `13 as low as £116 return from Dublin , not bad at all so it will do for me as i need a break by then .

gsc
01-09-2012, 11:49
Ok guys, I can sort you a place to stay in Los Abrigos for Jan if that's too your liking? Let me know.

woolli
01-09-2012, 12:36
Ok guys, I can sort you a place to stay in Los Abrigos for Jan if that's too your liking? Let me know.
If you read the OP they have already booked for Egypt in Jan.

doingok
02-09-2012, 12:23
i Have say i have been more or less around the world and i have to say we are coming to tenerife to live BIG BUT it was not my first choice but its only 4 hours or so away from the uk,we just came back from Thailand for 6 months out there and used koh samui as our base,we rented a 1 bedroom house very close to the sea so we had a sea view,A/C in the bedroom Free wifi (which was fast) and cable TV only a couple of channels but ok. for £40 a week,flight for the 2 of us £1400 return.so yes the flight are more expensive but the rest works out very cheap and we opened an account very easy to so had a card to use in the shops and supermarkets to.food was very cheap drink was to plus it meant that we could fly around a bit as we save a lot of cash so we went to Bali, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Bangkok twice and we even brought a motorbike which we done road trips on the main land.but we are still coming back to tenerife (wife's choice i have to say ) but Tenerife has to try and compete with other. as for Egypt,at sharm el sheikh i have been diving there twice this year and i felt save.i just think every one is feeling the pinch and the money side of it will always be a factor.

brez
03-09-2012, 11:40
I went to egypt with a friend when I was 18, Sharm was alright and the locals were friendly enough. Outside of sharm is on another level though but the experience itself was amazing and unforgetable - That is probably why people go there! Sure theres a lot of people carrying assault rifles but thats for your own protection - Better to have them than not. You can't live your life in fear, it will be very unfullfilling :)

cheery
03-09-2012, 15:25
Sharm is fine but it is very busy and built up, much like PDLA. It did get bombed a few years ago but it didn't put us off, we've been twice. It is not cheap if you go out of the hotel though if you drink. Food is reasonably priced and varied in type available. I can recommend it and no-one should be unduly worried about police with guns, they have them in Spain, albeit not on day trips!

We looked at various holidays recently but have decided to come back to Tenerife as we haven't been for 3 years. What we like is the ability to have a stroll and try different restaurants. I wouldn't come to Tenerife AI as one of my friends did a few weeks ago. You just don't get the variety of food or quality in my opinion.

When the economy picks up again I have no doubt we will be having more holidays per year as we used to. One of which will probably be Egypt as the snorkelling is out of this world.

gsc
03-09-2012, 16:12
I've spent a lot of time in Egypt, to begin with Sharm, then Luxor.

I love it but it does take some getting used to. We were thinking of building in Luxor when the trouble kicked off and we ended up renovating in Los Abrigos instead.

Right decision I think but a little bit of me still yearns for the real Egypt.

Ah well - Spanish is one hell of a lot easier than Arabic, especially reading and writing. :wink:

BobMac
03-09-2012, 17:20
Spent hours contacting different agents/websites for a apartment to rent for the whole month of Jan 2013.
Really wanted to come out for the month to re-visit our old haunts that we knew & loved when we live there for 4 years.

Try as i might, nothing doing. Flights are ridiculous prices, apartments dont come under 800 euros for the month unless you rent long term, which is a minimum of 3 months.

Do a package deal & pay the earth to stay somewhere like Laguna Park 2, which is fine if you don't mind the long walk uphill.

Wev'e ended up with a month, all inclusive in Egypt for a fraction of what we'd pay for Tenerife.

What i don't get is why Tenerife is so expensive to visit.
Apartments empty cos owners too scared to rent them out with the illegal lettings law.
Package deals way out reach.
Just what is going on?? :confused::confused:

Have to agree with you about prices.

We looked for 4 adults at the October half term and the flight only price was nearly £500 per person plus the rental on a property - we booked a B&B package to Lagos in the Algarve for 4 adults in a 4* hotel overlooking the marina for less than the cost of the flights to Tenerife.

gsc
03-09-2012, 17:35
I think a lot has to do with expections - Tenerife seems to have a reputation for cheapish self-catering and expensive hotels (not saying either are necessarily true) but when a large part of the economy is geared to that and the numbers suddenly drop - well all hell breaks loose.

Our friends in Egypt work in the hotel trade and they are simply laid off with nothing - or put on half pay - when times are tough, so prices stay attractive.

I imagine the all-inclusive trade here will be made up of a lot of people that wouldn't consider places like Egypt especially after the troubles - and perhaps this allows them to keep the price up. They must also be an element of people making the most of it in the few months when things are more bouyant I guess?

I must admit when I used to play bridge it was VERY expensive in Tenerife - we used to opt for Tunisia - much better facilities and well over half the price. However many of the older players wouldn't go anywhere other than Tenerife regardless of price.

cheery
03-09-2012, 19:11
BobMac I don't know where you looked but I have just got this from esyjet's website.

Manchester to Tenerife South
Dep Sat, 20 October 2012 17:20
Arr Sat, 20 October 2012 21:55
Flight 1905
4 Adults
4 x £174.99

Tenerife South to Manchester
Dep Sat, 27 October 2012 22:35
Arr Sun, 28 October 2012 02:00
Flight 1906
4 Adults
4 x £221.99

Speedy boarding
Included
First through the gate
4 x £0.00

Luggage
Included
4 Cases
4 x £0.00
80kg combined weight.
Total flights and options for all passengers:£1,587.92

Not cheap but not £500 each. I am going 2 weeks before for £270 each.

caroll72
03-09-2012, 19:21
As much as we love Tenerife and was looking forward to eating out in our favourite restaurants, at the end of the day, it comes down to price.
Wev'e got a 4 star resort in Sharm el Sheik, with it's own private beach. All inclusive. Daytime flights from Birmingham. 28 nights, 2 adults & iv'e got change from £1700.00. Can't get that on the rock.

chifleta
03-09-2012, 19:27
You can't live your life in fear, it will be very unfullfilling :)

True, I live my life in Tenerife LOL and take my holidays in England BWAHAHAHA

kingbaker
03-09-2012, 20:59
As far back as 2005-6 the tourist authorities (in Tenerife) hadn't got their act together. When it as announced that Ryanair was opening many routes,

not just to TFN, but also changing to TFS, an article appeared in the papers telling people that they could charge more for accommodation, as flights were

becoming cheaper. What a bunch of morons!! Instead of making a long term strategic decision, to build long term sustainability into the industry, they went for

the quick buck. They didn't even increase the tourist accommodation standards, to insure their long term interests. I know this as I stayed in some right dumps.

You only have to look at the ILLEGAL LETTINGS thread to see what a hash they've made of it ( AND STILL ARE).

To sum up .....Take a look at KirstyJ's report on her holiday in La Palma today on another thread. This is the type of report every one of us

should be able to make EVERY TIME we leave the island and return home to friends and family.

Today I was around Birmingham and I looked at travel agents window. The only mention of Tenerife was 25th Sept 1 week for £447 pp and I usually

travel solo, so there'd be a single suppliment on top of that.

Absolutely No way Jose!!!!!!

P.S Didn't mean this to sound so grumpy!!!!! BUT THIS NEEDED SAYING.

KirstyJay
04-09-2012, 00:32
To sum up .....Take a look at KirstyJ's report on her holiday in La Palma today on another thread. This is the type of report every one of us

Although I agree... check out the flight availability and prices first... maybe a 2 centre holiday is more ideal, with a week on each island...

www.skyscanner.es/vuelos/uk/spc/vuelos-mas-baratos-de-reino-unido-a-la-palma.html?rtn=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Tenerife+Forum_UK+Skyscanner+125+x+12 5_10641622&utm_source=CJ_UK

BobMac
04-09-2012, 14:57
BobMac I don't know where you looked but I have just got this from esyjet's website.

Manchester to Tenerife South
Dep Sat, 20 October 2012 17:20
Arr Sat, 20 October 2012 21:55
Flight 1905
4 Adults
4 x £174.99

Tenerife South to Manchester
Dep Sat, 27 October 2012 22:35
Arr Sun, 28 October 2012 02:00
Flight 1906
4 Adults
4 x £221.99

Speedy boarding
Included
First through the gate
4 x £0.00

Luggage
Included
4 Cases
4 x £0.00
80kg combined weight.
Total flights and options for all passengers:£1,587.92

Not cheap but not £500 each. I am going 2 weeks before for £270 each.

We fly from the London area (EasyJet or Ryanair) and are tied to school holidays because of our wife's jobs.

The school's break up for half term here on 26th October and start back on 5th November.

To put the prices we found for October half term in context, when we were out in April for Easter, our flights cost just over £1000 for 4 adults in School holidays - I'd love someone to explain why there has been such a huge rise in the prices.

PS The prices I quoted were the Easyjet prices and they were the cheapest we could find - even Ryanair were dearer.

gsc
04-09-2012, 15:12
RyanAir have a weird method of pricing.

6 to 8 weeks before the flight they drop a limited number of seats, sometimes quite cheap, as little as £20 on occasion. Once they are gone the price goes up and continues to rise according to how many seats are left as it gets nearer the date.

I find it a real pain in the ***. Booking for myself, daughter and grandkids, I will often pay the higher price for all 7 unless I make the booking in 2 halves, last time I got 3 at £34 and the rest at £54. Coming back is always cheaper to book singles not returns and pay in euros even though RyanAirs exchange is not as good as I can get personally.

So I someimes end up making 4 seperate bookings - maddening, especially as I can't see anywhere to create an account. I seem to spend half my life filling in forms on Ryan Air.

That said we rarely pay more than £100-£120 for a return flight so I guess it's worth the effort.

kingbaker
04-09-2012, 15:21
Although I agree... check out the flight availability and prices first... maybe a 2 centre holiday is more ideal, with a week on each island...

www.skyscanner.es/vuelos/uk/spc/vuelos-mas-baratos-de-reino-unido-a-la-palma.html?rtn=1&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Tenerife+Forum_UK+Skyscanner+125+x+12 5_10641622&utm_source=CJ_UK

I should have added to the above,that there was a 1 week in South of Spain (Costa something or other), FLIGHTS AND ACCOMM. for £179.00

cheery
04-09-2012, 17:24
We fly from the London area (EasyJet or Ryanair) and are tied to school holidays because of our wife's jobs.

The school's break up for half term here on 26th October and start back on 5th November.

To put the prices we found for October half term in context, when we were out in April for Easter, our flights cost just over £1000 for 4 adults in School holidays - I'd love someone to explain why there has been such a huge rise in the prices.

PS The prices I quoted were the Easyjet prices and they were the cheapest we could find - even Ryanair were dearer.

That has always been a point which leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Travel companies jacking up the price for school holidays, knowing full well that parents can't do anything about it if they want to go abroad. Do the flight crew or the hotel staff get more money at this time? I think we know the answer to that one don't we.

BobMac
04-09-2012, 17:54
That has always been a point which leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. Travel companies jacking up the price for school holidays, knowing full well that parents can't do anything about it if they want to go abroad. Do the flight crew or the hotel staff get more money at this time? I think we know the answer to that one don't we.

As I say, we are stuck with school holidays at the moment, but school holidays doesn't account for the near doubling of the flight prices between the school Easter holidays and the October Half-term.

That smacks of profiteering or putting it euphemistically, they're taking the p!ss.

waveydavey
04-09-2012, 18:09
That always amuses me in the summer time in the kids holiday do they move the islands further away because it costs a lot more to fly anywhere.

romas.zilinskas
28-10-2012, 20:16
Interesting facts. Never new this could happened. Almost each year going to egypt...but always choosing Taba. Have been in other places too...but my vte and recomendations would be just for this place. Calm..big and warm and main thing - close territory.

Rickiebear
28-10-2012, 20:47
Hi, we have been to other resorts both in North Africa and Eastern Europe. But like returning to Tenerife. I think the prices are very reasonable. We have booked flights for next May, cheaper than this November. Less than £130 each from Bristol. We also find bars and restaurants with good prices and supermarkets cheaper than the UK, (as long as you avoid British imports).
And the sun, that comes free. Great just great.