PDA

View Full Version : Internet Should I bring my own wifi router to Tenerife?

life is short
01-09-2012, 12:41
??? Is it better to take out own wifi router to Tenerife when we move out there or do we get one from the telecom company who we will be contracted to? If provided by the telecom company are they just basic wifi routers?

anegib
01-09-2012, 13:03
If is any help to you I bought my wifi from the UK but did not work here in Tenerife. Had to get a computer whiz to alter something in the wifi router. Think you would be safer getting your router from your telephone company here in Tenerife.

junglejim
01-09-2012, 13:07
If you get a contract with Telefonica ,they supply basic router and set it up - the router specifications can be altered but the handbook is in Spanish ,best not to adjust it except for channel number - you can add a separate repeater if you want to expand range .
I have had mine 9months (Router model AW4062) and no problems .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwSXOhlw6E

Tom & Sharon
01-09-2012, 13:32
When we came to Tenerife we signed up with Telefonica :censored:
The router did its job with very little problems,however i believe technical problems with Telefonica can be somewhat tiresome to resolve :confused:

We have now moved to Bay Connect for our calls and broadband,which has the advantage of 'Free British TV' via a set top box (we have 15 TV channels and 10 radio channels)
I am currently watching the Belgian GP qualifying on BBC1 via the internet as i type,its not for everyone as it depends on your broadband speed and i know some people have had problems with both Europa and Bay Connect.

On Thursday last the 'Broadband' went down on Bay Connect and the 3 apartments on our complex who have signed up with Bay Connect suffered approx 24 hrs without internet access,when we called the customer services department in Alicante the next morning and spoke with English speaking operators they assured us the broadband was back up and running again and to simply turn off the router and re-boot it to restore broadband and TV.

The broadband in the other 2 apartments came back on,however ours didn't so we spoke again with customer services who put a call to the 'tech guys' who phoned us the next morning and remotely re-booted our router and got everything working again.

This has been the only problem with the service in 12 months so far.

So,in answer to your question i would leave the UK router in the UK and sign up with one of the ISP providers here in Tenerife as we have found that the router and technical back up has been excellent.

Tom :tiphat:

timmylish
01-09-2012, 14:58
Agree with JJ as we have had Telefonica,s router as standard for 18 months, with no problems but, no real signal strenght. I need to but something to give better wi-fi cover in the apartment and would gratefully consider any suggestions of what we can do to improve it. JJ mentions a repeater which I confess not to know anything about so info on that would also be great!

Megaloo
01-09-2012, 15:44
I originally had my WiFi from Ya my ADSL provider 9 years ago, and although it worked my Son when he came thought it would be good to have a new one, so we bought one from Amazon it is Cisco linksys works really well in my apartment even when my Son visits with his Computer my Husbands laptop, and also my Daughter in law with her IPad, I am not a technical person but this works a treat and it was from England.

life is short
02-09-2012, 12:20
I originally had my WiFi from Ya my ADSL provider 9 years ago, and although it worked my Son when he came thought it would be good to have a new one, so we bought one from Amazon it is Cisco linksys works really well in my apartment even when my Son visits with his Computer my Husbands laptop, and also my Daughter in law with her IPad, I am not a technical person but this works a treat and it was from England.

When we came to Tenerife we signed up with Telefonica :censored:
The router did its job with very little problems,however i believe technical problems with Telefonica can be somewhat tiresome to resolve :confused:

We have now moved to Bay Connect for our calls and broadband,which has the advantage of 'Free British TV' via a set top box (we have 15 TV channels and 10 radio channels)
I am currently watching the Belgian GP qualifying on BBC1 via the internet as i type,its not for everyone as it depends on your broadband speed and i know some people have had problems with both Europa and Bay Connect.

On Thursday last the 'Broadband' went down on Bay Connect and the 3 apartments on our complex who have signed up with Bay Connect suffered approx 24 hrs without internet access,when we called the customer services department in Alicante the next morning and spoke with English speaking operators they assured us the broadband was back up and running again and to simply turn off the router and re-boot it to restore broadband and TV.

The broadband in the other 2 apartments came back on,however ours didn't so we spoke again with customer services who put a call to the 'tech guys' who phoned us the next morning and remotely re-booted our router and got everything working again.

This has been the only problem with the service in 12 months so far.

So,in answer to your question i would leave the UK router in the UK and sign up with one of the ISP providers here in Tenerife as we have found that the router and technical back up has been excellent.

Tom :tiphat:

A big Thank You to you all for taking the time to respond to my question. :tiphat: Also for the extra info as well.....very useful!

After considering all your responses and my OH checking out some techy stuff on the internet I think we will be taking our own router (linksys).

I will let you know how we get on some time in the future...........got to get to Tenerife first :spin:

Thanks again

junglejim
02-09-2012, 12:58
Agree with JJ as we have had Telefonica,s router as standard for 18 months, with no problems but, no real signal strenght. I need to but something to give better wi-fi cover in the apartment and would gratefully consider any suggestions of what we can do to improve it. JJ mentions a repeater which I confess not to know anything about so info on that would also be great!
http://www.repeaterstore.com/wi-fi/what-is-a-wi-fi-repeater-faq.php
Purchase in any of big stores Timmy / and expand your range of signal .

Suej
02-09-2012, 16:31
If you get a contract with Telefonica ,they supply basic router and set it up - the router specifications can be altered but the handbook is in Spanish ,best not to adjust it except for channel number - you can add a separate repeater if you want to expand range .
I have had mine 9months (Router model AW4062) and no problems .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwSXOhlw6E

I am also really intersted to buy one of these repeater routers JJ! I've just looked on Amazon just to get an idea but they vary quite a lot in price!? some also look like baby minder gadgets! can you advise what type is best (not too expensive) OH likes to watch a bit of footy in the garden and the signal from my router upstairs is always low or very low out there so the stream buffers a lot! Any advice would be appreciated as I would not have a clue what I was looking at or buying! I hope they sell them in Wortens! :tiphat:

junglejim
02-09-2012, 18:16
I´m no expert but I´m sure there are others who could advise on best types - I wouldn´t want to pay more than €50 for one !
http://wifirepeaters.net/

A lot of the WIFI companies here and hotels use them to bounce their signal around complexes froma central router .