PDA

View Full Version : Other I am moving to Tenerife next year and need advice on transporting possessions

marrievee
02-09-2012, 11:53
Hi Everyone :hello:
Moving out to tenerife next year and trying to work out some costs. Does anyone know how much it costs to send out a container from the uk. We wont be bringing everything with us just personal items - no furniture. We are bringing our dogs over and we are travelling by ferry from cadiz and wondering if it is easy enough to find long term lets on property that allow pets. I have looked at loads of letting companies and they all say no pets :(

Any advice would be greatly received

Thanks
Marie xx

Malteser Monkey
02-09-2012, 12:14
Welcome from me and the best of lick with the move

carpenter
02-09-2012, 12:29
Hi Everyone :hello:
Moving out to tenerife next year and trying to work out some costs. Does anyone know how much it costs to send out a container from the uk. We wont be bringing everything with us just personal items - no furniture. We are bringing our dogs over and we are travelling by ferry from cadiz and wondering if it is easy enough to find long term lets on property that allow pets. I have looked at loads of letting companies and they all say no pets :(

Any advice would be greatly received

Thanks
Marie xx

Hi, you do not need a container (I shouldn't think so anyway) shipping companies sell space by the cubic meter. Maybe try calling Universal Exports in Tenerife, there warehouse is in Essex I think and can arrange collection as do TC Freight in Feltham. Where do you live in the UK?

Also finding somewhere that accepts dogs is easy as. What part of Tenerife are you looking at moving to?

Avoid complexes as presidents and committees can be very anal especially British ones ;) and ask on here if anyone has a apartment or house to long term rent that will allow dogs.

What dogs do you have and how many? I know someone with 6 poodles that rents so I wouldn't worry. When I first moved here the only place I could find that would allow pets online was in Abades but as soon as we got here it was so much easier to find somewhere.

Maybe look at staying mid level when you first arrive as pet friendly accommodation is very easy to find. Places like Adeje, Buzanada, Valle San Lorrenzo, San Miguel, Granadilla. This will give you 6 months to find something more suitable.

And before you book your ferry from Cadiz look at sailing from Portugal as I'be been told it's cheaper.

Good Luck

doingok
02-09-2012, 12:36
we are doing the move this year but we have sent out 25kg that a time as we are just bring personal items to we only paid around the £45 each box try here cheapest i have found.

http://www.transglobal.org.uk/

http://www.postagesupermarket.com/discounted_postage_from_UK_to_Canary_Islands.php

viv
02-09-2012, 14:04
"Welcome and good luck with your move"
We moved here 18 months ago.. We made the mistake of having a Uk company "Hackworthy & Sons" collect our items, which we did pack ourselves.. as we'de moved a few times we new how to pack our items securely and safely... store them for a 4 weeks them deliver them to us here in Tenerife!! What a waste of time we had difficlutly tracking our belongings then one day out of the blue with a half built kitchen and a bathroom be tiled we had a phone call from "Worldwide Movers" here in Tenerife telling me our belongings were on it's way down the motor way and that they were sorry to say when our pallet was lifted out of the container they could hear broken glass!!! Yep nearly every bit of our belongings was smashed beyond repair!! Hackworthy refused to take any responsibility. Worldwide who were very helpful at first then told us we could not talk to them we had to talk direct with Hackworthy. The insurance company refused to pay because we had packed ourselves!! It cost us 3K to have our belonging destroyed and nearly as mush again to replace!!! :0( We even tried going though the "Bar of Movers" But unfortunately the chairman is "Mr Hackworthy" himself!!
So what ever way you go just be careful... I'm sure many others have moved without an problems.. :0)

nath
02-09-2012, 14:21
May I suggest you consider not taking the ferry from Cadiz but using the one from Huelva instead? The trip is shorter (about 35 hours) the boat is newer. We used this one and were happy with it (only the food was not too good) but I heard a lot of complaining about the one from Cadiz (I think mainly b/c it is older, people complaining about bad smells etc). We booked the cheapest cabin available with only 2 beds to find out all the cabins were the same (4 beds) so don't book a more expensive one for a bit more comfort.
Good luck with everything!!!!!

craftycarder
02-09-2012, 14:37
We moved over here 2 years ago and used

www.crownwayinternational.com

We had bought over about 20 boxes and a few bits and bobs and was just under 1000 euros you only pay depost and remainder when they deliver.
Excellent service throughout.

doingok
02-09-2012, 15:29
ho yes always wrap anything up real good as they throw the boxes about or with a forklift and have it insured we have not needed yet and we only have are TV to bring but its going on our flight but i hope they break it pmsl

chifleta
02-09-2012, 15:43
Welcome from me and the best of lick with the move
I have to agree with the Mega "Guapa" Tenerifian........... :laugh: best of lick :)

marrievee
02-09-2012, 16:36
thanks everyone for your replies :) will def look at the ferry from portugal. Would i be better asking on the forum for property to let? we are coming over in feb for a week to look around different areas but prob look around the adeje area. Can anyone recommend any other areas that we could look at?
Thanks again
Marie

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

also can anyone recommend A GOOD LETTING AGENT?

ddoyle
02-09-2012, 23:31
Hi we used the ferry from Huelva last October and agree with other poster, very good service etc, on this ferry. A little tip if you take this ferry go to the port office the day before sailing and book your car on and when you arrive to embark it is a breeze just drive straight on.

marrievee
03-09-2012, 17:38
thanks for that :) the huelva ferry does look the better option but still a bit anxious about taking the dogs on the ferry just hope i can take them out of the cages for a walk around.Is this possible on the huelva ferry?

viv
03-09-2012, 17:57
We live in Golf del Sur / Amerila.. love it here because it can be cooler than Adeje / Playa area especially for the dogs during July/August. And because we have a good mixture of residential and holiday. I would say, have a look around

gsc
03-09-2012, 19:14
How many dogs are we talking about? I am in Los Abrigos, 4 bed house that we use about half the time. No land though - it's like a town house near the harbour. We did a room share for a share a young couple that moved over who we are now friends but sadly they are splitting up. He is coming back to live with us for a while in the UK, she is going back to Brazil.

Anyway, long story short, I am looking to replace the income in some form. They used to have the bottom floor which is an en-suite bedroom and also utility room. The rest of the house is free when we are away and shared when we are there, floor 1 is 1 double bedroom, 1 single, bathroom. Then Floor 2 is lounge/kitchen/diner. Top floor is a bedroom, loo and roof terrace with BBQ and sea views.

There are loads of places to walk/run dogs round here although I wouldn't call the house suitable for large dogs since it has no garden - but then not much does round here.

I haven't given it much thought yet as the change came a couple of days after we arrived for our holiday but drop me a pm if any interest.

ddoyle
03-09-2012, 19:48
You will have no problems on the Huelva Ferry with your dogs there are set times to go down and take them out of the kennels for a walk on the car deck.

marrievee
03-09-2012, 21:56
thanks everyone for your help :)) cant wait for the big move next year. Think we need the time to make sure we are properly prepared and organised for the move. Its such a big step but we are not burning our bridges at home and renting out our property at home so that we will always have something to come back to. Hopefully though everything will go well and we will eventually be able to sell up here.
Thanks again
Marie :))

TIS
03-09-2012, 23:34
thanks everyone for your replies :) will def look at the ferry from portugal. Would i be better asking on the forum for property to let? we are coming over in feb for a week to look around different areas but prob look around the adeje area. Can anyone recommend any other areas that we could look at?
Thanks again
Marie

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

also can anyone recommend A GOOD LETTING AGENT?

Contact Silvana - Wady Properties 922-712-254. brilliant. They have a team of multilingual staff so they can sort everything for you... And for your insurance requirements just let us know what you need - give us a telephone number or e-mail and we'll make contact with you at a time to suit.

Roadkingrider
04-09-2012, 10:03
Ditto what Carpenter says about avoiding complexes - especially those with a British President in charge! They are usually a nightmare, think that the British Empire rules the Canary Isles and that everyone should be tucked up in bed at about 8pm, watching Midsomer Murders! They love being little Hitlers, so avoid at all costs if you have pets and actually want to have a relaxed lifestyle. I moved to a complex in Golf de Sur and the President was an absolute pain in the backside. And, he only looked after the interests of all his little friends.

marrievee
04-09-2012, 13:09
Thanks roadkingrider:) must admit the complexes do look very nice with the lovely pools etc but can imagine the aggro involved !! and dont really want to feel like im on holiday (if that makes sense?) so perhaps a complex isnt the way to go. Ill contact the Wady property people and perhaps call in to se them when we are over in a few months. Has anybody brought a car in from uk? we were thinking about buying a lhd and driving it over as they seem really pricey in tenerife.
Marie :)

allao
04-09-2012, 18:44
Hi Marie,

It is really worth if you bring a car costing more than 10 000 EUR. Otherwise it is not reasonable to drive it over here as you waste all of your saved money on petrol, ferry, overnight stops, food and toll roads. You can buy here a good runner for around 3000-5000 EUR.

carpenter
04-09-2012, 21:15
Bring a car! the roads in Tenerife kill them. Probably the most over priced material objects you will find on this island are cars.

My advice is never spend more than €2.50 on a second hand car unless buying it from a reputable long established dealership with a good track record in honoring their warranties.