PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a car in Tenerife or mainland Spain?

doingok
03-09-2012, 18:49
Myself and my wife are coming to tenerife to live and we have been looking at cars on the island and seems to be high as i have looked that prices on the mainland and they are a lot cheaper so i was thinking for going a buy on the mainland and try and register it on the mainland and just bring it back on the ferry.
Anyone done this?Even with cost of the ferry it still looks cheaper then to buy on the island it self.

Cheers

timmylish
04-09-2012, 01:54
Just realised that it may be a full moon!

doingok
04-09-2012, 08:09
??????????????????

sdmc1960
04-09-2012, 08:28
I would be interested to know the answer, as we too are in the same position. We visited a few dealers at Las Chafiras last week, but prices were not competitive.

doingok
04-09-2012, 08:43
@ sdmc we have had a good look around so looked on the mainland in Huelva so all you would have to do is buy it then register it then bring it back on the ferry and you would still saved a lot of cash. i might just head over as i cannot see any problems doing this its all Spain so once you pay on the mainland and have all the paper work then you should have no hassle in Tenerife. 2000 year car in Tenerife they are asking 3000 euros or more, 4000 to 5000 euros for 2003 up to 2006 i would laugh but its just not funny.
i wish my golf was left hand drive then i would of just brought it over but i thing the wife would not be able to drive it, and its convertible to. if i find out anything i will let you know good luck.

P.s my golf is a 2010 i would be able to sell it for a mint if left hand drive lol.

waveydavey
04-09-2012, 09:07
Do you know I was thinking of doing that,the prices of BMW's 5 series are really cheap compared to here in Tenerife.

doingok
04-09-2012, 09:21
why pay more than you have to i have been looking at BMW 3 convertibles and they are a lot cheaper on the mainland like i said every with the ferry over and back or fly over ferry back. let me know how you get on and i will do the same.

paul

BoPeep
04-09-2012, 10:03
Ooooh, paperwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your sanity if you attempt the paperwork, I suggest you add the cost of someone doing that on top of the cost of the car!

I absolutely agree with you on prices though, second hand cars in Tenerife are an unbelievable price. We have decided that its better to buy a new one, that way you get no ITV for ages and no paperwork!

Roadkingrider
04-09-2012, 10:07
Get a Gestor (spelling?) to do all any 'paperwork for you - it's an extra cost, granted, but worth every penny (euro). You can find reputable ones in most large towns and they really do save you a lot of hassle when selling/buying. When I sold my motorcycle, the one I used in Los Cristianos was a great - all done in about 30 minutes.............as long as you have ALL the correct docs.

kingbaker
04-09-2012, 10:11
Ooooh, paperwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your sanity if you attempt the paperwork, I suggest you add the cost of someone doing that on top of the cost of the car!

I absolutely agree with you on prices though, second hand cars in Tenerife are an unbelievable price. We have decided that its better to buy a new one, that way you get no ITV for ages and no paperwork!

I think that the prices are good for new cars only (duty free) but second hand car prices go by supply and demand, so are not competitive, and won't be til the economy recovers. :hello:

doingok
04-09-2012, 12:12
there is plenty of carS in the uk LHD and Spanish registered and ok priced to

Velocette
06-09-2012, 14:42
The advice I recieved was NOT to register the car in mainland Spain, but to check all the paperwork of course using a Gestor, and wait until your in Tenerife to register.

I've heard conflicting stories about tax or duty payable when importing from Spain, some people say there is no duty to pay, others say it's still an import and duty is payable. Which is true is difficult to determine. And what is the rule of thumb is regarding the amount payable?

Then factor in flights and accomodation, I hear Huelva has a better and cheaper ferry service, but I think the cost could be around 750 Euros, I'd be happy to be corrected on this.

TF1
07-09-2012, 09:05
The ferry for a car + 2 residents costs 244€ from Huelva, much more from Cadiz, and no vehicle duty checks are made in Sta Cruz. There is a service where you can load the car as cargo from Cadiz and fly from Sevilla, but it´s 50% probable that the car will be compounded in the Sta Cruz aduanas until the duties are paid.

PS: 2nd hand cars are cheapest in and around Barcelona.

doingok
07-09-2012, 09:22
Cheers TF1 that's sounds about right and driving is not a problem, the one's i have been looking that have still got insurance on them as well as ITV so i would think all i would have to do is just driving it to the ferry in Huelva and i will have my Residencia so i will get the discount to. Is it better to register it in Tenerife or mainland though. and the cars are much cheaper on the mainland and i do not know why people do not do this more?

The ferry for a car + 2 residents costs 244€ from Huelva, much more from Cadiz, and no vehicle duty checks are made in Sta Cruz. There is a service where you can load the car as cargo from Cadiz and fly from Sevilla, but it´s 50% probable that the car will be compounded in the Sta Cruz aduanas until the duties are paid.

PS: 2nd hand cars are cheapest in and around Barcelona.

Tom & Sharon
07-09-2012, 10:09
I wouldn't waste my tiime. I'd just buy a new one.

Second hand car prices in Tenerife are a joke, as we all know. You see stuff with "For Sale - 1500€" on the back windscreen on cars that should have been in the knackers yard years ago. Even if you go to the mainland, with the price of the ferry, the hassle of the paperwork and paying gestors etc. you'll still end up with a 2nd hand piece of crap, that if you'd just paid a little bit extra, you could have had a new one.

You don't need anything big here really. The island's too small. You're talking figures of paying 4/5000€ for something that's years old + ferries and hassle.

For less than 10,000€ you can buy a new decent small car that will last years. A no brainer me thinks!

doingok
07-09-2012, 10:38
after a convertible BMW and i wish there were under 10.000 euros lol

Velocette
07-09-2012, 12:55
Cheers TF1 that's sounds about right and driving is not a problem, the one's i have been looking that have still got insurance on them as well as ITV so i would think all i would have to do is just driving it to the ferry in Huelva and i will have my Residencia so i will get the discount to. Is it better to register it in Tenerife or mainland though. and the cars are much cheaper on the mainland and i do not know why people do not do this more?

Thanks TF1 for that valuable info! . . . . .I have just been informed that my previous advice to 'not' register the car in Spain but to register it here in Tenerife, was the wrong thing to do.

The new advise is to REGISTER the car in Spain first, to avoid paying more in taxes when you do register it here! . . .I was told if you wait until you get back to Tenerife to register your car, it's like having a red hot poker (in tax terms) inserted up ones jaxy . . .these are not my words I hasten to add.

So there are in fact taxes to be paid, which has surprised a number of folk, some who have lived here for 25 years, always assuming that Tenerife is part of Spain and the tax was the same for most purposes. I have no idea what criteria they use to arrive at the amount payable, probably the price of a new vehicle with a reduction for age, and probably a sliding scale for hp or whatever.

Tom & Sharon
07-09-2012, 13:29
after a convertible BMW and i wish there were under 10.000 euros lol

Too hot for a convertible! I had a convertible mini in the UK, but no way would I have one here.

If that's the kind of thing you're after then, just a word of warning. Someone here in the motor trade told me that the island is full of BMW's and Merc's which have come from Germany, done 000,000's of km on the German autobahns, and then get clocked and shipped here.

TF1
07-09-2012, 13:34
I wouldn't waste my tiime. I'd just buy a new one.

Second hand car prices in Tenerife are a joke, as we all know. You see stuff with "For Sale - 1500€" on the back windscreen on cars that should have been in the knackers yard years ago. Even if you go to the mainland, with the price of the ferry, the hassle of the paperwork and paying gestors etc. you'll still end up with a 2nd hand piece of crap, that if you'd just paid a little bit extra, you could have had a new one.

You don't need anything big here really. The island's too small. You're talking figures of paying 4/5000€ for something that's years old + ferries and hassle.

For less than 10,000€ you can buy a new decent small car that will last years. A no brainer me thinks!

But many of us don´t have 10 grand to spend on a car, or have better things spend money on. Look around on the internet (autoscout, etc), and you´ll see loads of cars, including low mileage ones for less than 5k€.
NOTE; you can register a mainland purchased car in a Canarian address when you buy it in the mainland. You still pay the annual taxes, etc, to your local Ayto, as you would if the car was purchased in TF. It´s just that theoretically you´re meant to pay import tax on the vehicle if it remains in the Canary Islands for over 6 months. This is based on the hacienda book price on model, year, etc. This tax is seldom imposed on older cars, but newer Mercs and BMW´s are often targeted, unless they arrive accompanied by the owner on a passenger ferry.

doingok
07-09-2012, 13:47
which i will accompanying that is the plan so i do not have to pay to much tax, but what i ahve sen is the car's on the mainland are a lot cheaper and still worth doing, i would have no hesitation in buying one on the island but why when i can save a lot of cash?

Madre
07-09-2012, 14:19
Far too hot and dusty for convertibles in Tenerife think yo will regret it personally

doingok
07-09-2012, 14:54
Thanks guys but the hotter the better for us i had a convertible in Thailand for 6 months, loved it and even a bike,we love the heat.

Velocette
07-09-2012, 18:17
Thanks guys but the hotter the better for us i had a convertible in Thailand for 6 months, loved it and even a bike,we love the heat.

I agree a covertible has a lot of charm like the freedom that riding a bike has without a helmet and getting the wind in your hair! . . . as for the dust it could be a prob if you left it down and parked in the open day and night. If you dont have a garage just put the hood up when you not driving.

You must be a real hot house plant doingok, I spent three years in Thailand, hoping that I'd become 'acclimatised' but no such luck. I'd often meet other Farang like you who were unpreturbed by the heat, when I would be like a wilting flower, this less humid climate is much better for me.

doingok
07-09-2012, 18:59
we were that the beach nearly every day Velocette and i agree all i will have to do is but the hood up when not driving which i would do anyway,i miss our chopper driving with no helmets i have to say we went everywhere on it on the mainland as we stayed on Koh Samui Island,we would of went back to be honest be i need more ops so better to stay closer to the uk. its a killer paying so much high rent in Tenerife lol

Snowteck
26-12-2013, 14:29
I bought a motorhome on the Spanish mainland (ebay) and registered to my Tenerife address using an agent in Santa Cruz. I just had to pay the usual
vehicle transfer tax. I didn't want to have to return to the K for an MoT and running a motorhome in Spain is much cheaper than the UK - even with storage charges. I have no plans to bring it to the island but we have used the Naviera Armas ferry to Santa Cruz 6 times now travelling both Spanish and foreign registered cars and we have never been stopped when leaving the ferry. The cost of the ferry for two people + car (and dog) is about €250,-

timmylish
26-12-2013, 23:38
There appears to have been a dearth of people on this thread buying on the Mainland and bringing said vehicle to TF. Would it have something to do with the exorbitant fees and taxes involved. It did seem to em that last year, on this thread, people were ignoring/forgetting what happens when said car needs ITV,d!

boredinscotland
27-12-2013, 14:30
What is the laws with UK registered cars, is it 6 months then leave or matriculate?

atlantico
27-12-2013, 17:20
What is the laws with UK registered cars, is it 6 months then leave or matriculate?

yes, 181 days or if you 'expect' the period to exceed that. But if you do expect it be be here more than 6 months, then best to Matriculate it within the first month in order to get the lower personal import duty, providing you're not already a resident.

DUNEDIN
01-04-2014, 06:02
There appears to have been a dearth of people on this thread buying on the Mainland and bringing said vehicle to TF. Would it have something to do with the exorbitant fees and taxes involved. It did seem to em that last year, on this thread, people were ignoring/forgetting what happens when said car needs ITV,d!

Can you elaborate please. Found this aged thread as was looking for something relevent as we intended doing this, intended buying from a dealer in UK a LHD registered in Spain and driving over with dogs, sounded a dawdle until I mentioned it was actually Tenerife not mainland Spain. Huge amount of probs I was told and not a good idea, I naively thought that being Spanish and LHD it wouldnt attract attention but did wonder about when it needs an ITV?

So since people obviously do it is it worth it to keep everything proper and legal?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Can you elaborate please. Found this aged thread as was looking for something relevent as we intended doing this, intended buying from a dealer in UK a LHD registered in Spain and driving over with dogs, sounded a dawdle until I mentioned it was actually Tenerife not mainland Spain. Huge amount of probs I was told and not a good idea, I naively thought that being Spanish and LHD it wouldnt attract attention but did wonder about when it needs an ITV?

So since people obviously do it is it worth it to keep everything proper and legal?

bonitatime
01-04-2014, 08:39
Friends of mine bought a Car From a dealer in The mainland there was no problem
The dealer registered it in Tenerife And my Friend went picked it up And bought it home by Ferry.
My only worry with you is you are not yet resident here
You should Really speak to a gestor or someone like The lady at motorworld who People speak highly of

glassman
01-04-2014, 08:46
This subject of buying cars in Spain and driving them over seems to crop up regularly
Does anyone REALLY know the answer or are the guessing what some one in a bar told them
It would be nice to have good information from someone experienced in this......... So we can all buy a car from the mainland

DUNEDIN
01-04-2014, 08:56
Friends of mine bought a Car From a dealer in The mainland there was no problem
The dealer registered it in Tenerife And my Friend went picked it up And bought it home by Ferry.
My only worry with you is you are not yet resident here
You should Really speak to a gestor or someone like The lady at motorworld who People speak highly of

Was it brand new?? Does that help in long run. Are motorworld in Silencio, be surprised if they were willing to assist me to buy a car on mainland when it potentially takes business from them, maybe is that nice a lady though.

Yes we are not resident full time yet but have owned property had bank accounts, NIE number, utility bills, pay tax etc for 12 years.

I know its not the same as residency but would it help?
Its not just cost more logistics cos if we could purchase a LHD registered in Spain here its a one way trip, otherwise I would need to purchase in Tenerife and do trip twice. LHD companies I spoke with say they rarely see canarian registered vehicles in Spain although not an exhaustive search.

I want to obey the laws of the land and not do anything frowned upon, would would happen at the ITV?? Maybe a gestor would be an idea. I have used the same lawyer for years Del Barrio Rivero
Perhaps they do stuff like this also although dont want abogados fees for something a gestorias could solve,

bonitatime
01-04-2014, 17:52
It was a Second hand Car
Motorworld Will charge For processing the paperwork
Itv can be done anywhere
The reason is the cars seldom leave the island and if they do are rarely re registered as up to a certain age they would be retaxed

timmylish
01-04-2014, 22:49
I do apologise if I had not made it clear before. Throughout this process I was referring to the purchasing of new cars and bringing them over here and the resulting differences in taxes to be paid! Sorry.

LizzyW
05-08-2016, 11:08
Can I please ask for some guidance. I do appreciate that this post started some time ago.
We are moving out to Tenerife next month but are going via our place on mainland Spain. We do want a small van and did consider buying it in Spain and driving over to TF. When we get to TF we will not have a permanent address intending to spend several months moving about until we find the place we would like to put our roots down in. Can I ask anyone to chip in on the whole process or provide any other information which may be of use.
Cheers,

vove
05-08-2016, 11:26
Can I please ask for some guidance. I do appreciate that this post started some time ago.
We are moving out to Tenerife next month but are going via our place on mainland Spain. We do want a small van and did consider buying it in Spain and driving over to TF. When we get to TF we will not have a permanent address intending to spend several months moving about until we find the place we would like to put our roots down in. Can I ask anyone to chip in on the whole process or provide any other information which may be of use.
Cheers,

I don't know how the situation with car on peninsula is, but in Tenerife there are a lot of scammers, so the best thing is to buy the car from a dealer or, when buying from individual, to hire an accountant to check the papers. You might want to watch out when buying.

To get the car here you have to go to Cádiz and catch a ferry to Santa Cruz. If you are not a Canary Islands resident the cost to transport 1 person and a standard size family car was around 280€ last time I've checked.

As soon as you get a permanent address go to the city council (you will have to present your rental contract) and ask for the citizenship, just like on the peninsula.

If you need any particular info it might be a good idea to start a new topic instead of resurrecting a 2 years old thread.

doreen
05-08-2016, 11:33
I'm not an expert on this, but believe you will be liable to pay local IGIC on any car/van imported to the Canaries (13%?)

vove
05-08-2016, 11:53
The best would be to call the customs or an agent as the cost will depend on the car.

I have limited information regarding that matter, but:
- You will have to pay IGIC, and you will have the right to recover the VAT
- You will have to fill in DUA (Documento Único Administrativo)
- You will have to import the car

There are two types of importation: definitive (you change the car's registration address) and temporary (up to 6 months).

REQUIREMENTS
1. You have to be a citizen on peninsula and after coming to the Islands you have to obtain residency in order to change your address.
2. If you want to do definitive importation the car has to be yours for at least 6 months.
3. During the period of 1 year you won't be able to sell it, change the owner, rent it, etc.

There are two different types of DUAs documents depending on the importation you have chosen.

How does the process look like?
You get your car, put it on a ferry and once on the islands you have 6 months to do the definitive importation with the local customs agent.

You bought your car recently? You go with temporary importation, it gives you 6 months to ride around, then once it's yours for 6 months you do the definitive importation.

Keep in mind that same car can be cheaper on the island than it is on peninsula. Nevertheless choice is limited and when you look for a second hand car they tend to be in awful condition.

Carol55
05-08-2016, 12:13
Cheers,

It might be worth looking at the "J A N E T - A N S C O M B E " website (without gaps in the letters, as on this forum her name is taboo):nono: for simple advice on this subject as Janet is renowned for her knowledge on Tenerife matters.

essexeddie
05-08-2016, 17:06
We have had our second car from Motorworld and can recommend them. They guarantee their cars for a year. I suppose if you intend to live on the island then perhaps a new car is sensible, but if you're like us and spend about five to six months on the island a year then perhaps a good used one. As said before a converable is not a good idea.

LizzyW
05-08-2016, 18:19
We are actually going to look for a small van. Do you think that changes the advice being given?

vove
05-08-2016, 20:21
We are actually going to look for a small van. Do you think that changes the advice being given?

You will pay more to transport it by ferry but the paperwork is still the same.

tfs1
05-08-2016, 21:17
I'm not an expert on this, but believe you will be liable to pay local IGIC on any car/van imported to the Canaries (13%?)

So even when you buy a new car registered in Spain and pay IVA you then pay IGIC ?

LizzyW
05-08-2016, 22:48
We are actually wanting to get a small van, not a car. Do you think that makes any difference to your advice?

vove
05-08-2016, 22:55
So even when you buy a new car registered in Spain and pay IVA you then pay IGIC ?

That is correct. You have to import it.

doreen
06-08-2016, 13:13

For this reason, it would make no sense to buy a new car on the mainland and try to immediately import it into the Canaries. Cheaper to buy new in the Canaries.

It works the other way too - I know someone who moved to Madrid and was horrified to find he had to pay additional tax on his car and washing machine etc

I had a quick chat with someone on this topic, and he told me of another tax that generally exists - IM or something, which applies to items that could have been bought in the Canaries in the first place.

When you become a resident you are allowed to import your personal belongings (furniture etc in one shipment) without paying import duties - you need to coordinate this with your shipper and get a special reference from the Tax Authorities. Turning up at the port with a small van packed with items might cause you problems.

tfs1
06-08-2016, 16:22
For this reason, it would make no sense to buy a new car on the mainland and try to immediately import it into the Canaries. Cheaper to buy new in the Canaries.

It works the other way too - I know someone who moved to Madrid and was horrified to find he had to pay additional tax on his car and washing machine etc

I had a quick chat with someone on this topic, and he told me of another tax that generally exists - IM or something, which applies to items that could have been bought in the Canaries in the first place.

When you become a resident you are allowed to import your personal belongings (furniture etc in one shipment) without paying import duties - you need to coordinate this with your shipper and get a special reference from the Tax Authorities. Turning up at the port with a small van packed with items might cause you problems.

Thankyou Doreen.

vove
06-08-2016, 17:10

For clarification:
It is AIEM (el Arbitrio sobre Importaciones y Entregas de Mercancías), but in this case it doesn't apply. Objective of AIEM is to protect Canary production from competition coming from outside of the islands. This would include for example honey and any other food produced on the island, raw materials that can be obtained on the islands, etc. Cars don't fall under that category so there is no AIEM on them.