PDA

View Full Version : Modern-day cars are so sophisticated...

mike in chayofa
04-09-2012, 20:52
.. with all their computers.

Mine wouldn't start the other day. I pushed the 'start' button and it tried to start, cut out, tried to start etc etc and I ended up calling out the grua.

The computer screen showed that there was a problem with the fuel injection system.

Anyway, the car has automatic start, winscreen wipers that come on when it's raining, lights that come on automatically when it goes dark (or you go into a tunnel, a parking brake that comes on automatically etc etc.

It tells me when a door is open (and which one), if the seatbelt isn't fastened, if the tyre pressures are low etc

... Skip to the punchline when you get bored :laugh:

I went to the main dealer and they put my key remote on a little box. This told them the model of car, the colour, chasis number, my details, the mileage, how much fuel was in the tank, when it next needed a service etc etc.

All very technical and wonderful. I'm sure that we are all impressed.

It also picked up a few faults that needed looking at.

What was the matter with the car ... and what didn't all this sophisticated equipment tell me ????

The battery is knackered :confused:

slodgedad
04-09-2012, 21:02
Isn't technology wonderful?

I'm looking forward to the day when a barperson can tell me how much 3 pints at 1.40 each is without the aid of till or calculator.

Not holding my breath though

imablue
04-09-2012, 21:13
Slodge.. are you expecting change out of a fiver ..?:dontknow:
it beats me every time a shop assistant ,bar person has to resort to a calculator.. to do the simplest of additions/ subtractions ...

theslaters
04-09-2012, 21:42
I take it you have a Renault??

john b
04-09-2012, 21:43
The other poor aspect of modern cars/batteries is that unlike in the past when batteries started to be troublesome for a week or two before they failed, giving you fair warning, today they work perfectly then suddenly stop completely.

slodgedad
04-09-2012, 21:49
True. The indicator on some new car batteries is useless.

My mate was told to check the red/blue indicator to check battery health.

It turned red after the battery failed.....DuH

mike in chayofa
04-09-2012, 22:12

Correct.

The OBC tells me:

My mileage
Trip mileage
Fuel per 100km
Current consumption.
Distance till tank empty
etc etc

Temperature inside and out etc etc

It shouldn't be too dificult to instal a 'semaphore-type' flag that cars of the 40's used to have, that would pop up and say .....

IT'S BROKE :idea:

marbro8
04-09-2012, 22:41
Correct.

The OBC tells me:

My mileage
Trip mileage
Fuel per 100km
Current consumption.
Distance till tank empty
etc etc

It shouldn't be too dificult to instal a 'semaphore-type' flag that cars of the 40's used to have, that would pop up and say .....

IT'S BROKE :idea:glad i read this because we were thinking of buying either the new renaultsport megane or the megane floride cabriolet, but one of our neighbours said to us a few days ago that the bulb in his headlight went a few weeks ago and he was quoted £200 to change it because they have to take the front wheel off and all the trimings to get to it:redcard:

KirstyJay
05-09-2012, 00:07
Slodge.. are you expecting change out of a fiver ..?:dontknow:
it beats me every time a shop assistant ,bar person has to resort to a calculator.. to do the simplest of additions/ subtractions ...

I once was charged 6€ for stuff in a shop. I gave the assistant a 10€ note and a 1€ coin. She needed a calculator to work it out! :eek: :rolleyes:

Malteser Monkey
05-09-2012, 10:56

Ahhhh i thought the same - just got rid of one for the very same reasons - Why do i need a computer to tell me when I need to put air in my tyres

I now own a lovely Honda with non of the above rubbish stated by Mike

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Correct.

The OBC tells me:

My mileage
Trip mileage
Fuel per 100km
Current consumption.
Distance till tank empty
etc etc

IT'S BROKE :idea:

Yeap And how many miles/KM til you need to fill up !

On mine when they plugged into the computer it never gave any errors ! You couldn't see anything in the engine as it was all undercover. In my new I can see everything so hopefully now I will just need a mechanic and not a Technician !!

Isn't technology wonderful?

I'm looking forward to the day when a barperson can tell me how much 3 pints at 1.40 each is without the aid of till or calculator.

Not holding my breath though

I once was charged 6€ for stuff in a shop. I gave the assistant a 10€ note and a 1€ coin. She needed a calculator to work it out! :eek: :rolleyes:
:spin::cheeky:
Oi off topic you two !

LUCKY
05-09-2012, 11:03
i will stick with my old car Nothing wrong with the Starting handle :driving:

Ecky Thump
05-09-2012, 11:07
i will stick with my old car Nothing wrong with the Starting handle :driving:

A great philosophy, stick with what you are happy with......I must tell the wife this as she wants to trade me in for a much younger model with more attractive features.....Like the ability to keep going!!:laugh:

chifleta
05-09-2012, 21:10
Oi off topic you two !

Pot and black came to mind then LOL

Must be the week for batteries running flat on Renaults... same thing happened to us last Friday. OH went to start car, funny noise occured and nothing, NADA de NADA.... so he opened the bonnet, and had a look (I meanwhile sit there chortling because I know that he knows that he hasn't a clue, ni idea, what he is looking at), and then he gets on the phone the ring la grua... (btw he's chuntering in Spanish now after I read out Mikes post LOL). He then rings the Renault garage to tell them to get a battery ready.

45 mins later grua turns up, jump starts car, and we poodle off to Guaza. (OH wanted him to follow us to Guaza, I just laughed). Anyway, get to Guaza, straight in, chat to man at desk, leave him the keys, pop to other desk to ask how much for a electric window motor (as drivers side window broke the other week - I don't drive, so no skin off my nose). 300 Euros for the motor? OMG - he told them he'd order it another day. Then he went to say hello to other employee there, who suggested he go to Chafiras to a place where he could get a second hand one cheaper (OH is a friendly cheeky chap so always gets info without trying). Then we had a quick cuppa in the bar there, so all in all only waited 15 mins for it to be sorted, Bob's your auntie, thank you very much that'll be 74€ for the pleasure.

ps. plus the cup of tea and coffee OH just reminded me

cainaries
05-09-2012, 22:34
A few years ago I was back in UK on my own, hired a car at Gatwick to drive to my friend in Southampton. Completed the paperwork at about 2 in the morning and it was November. Drove off and a small red light appeared on the display. No intention of stopping anywhere at 3 in the morning halfway between Gatwick and Soton. Next morning I rang Hertz or whoever it was and they told me the red light was to tell me that the temperature outside the car was below freezing. As if I hadn't noticed after 7 years in the Canary Islands!

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2012, 09:07
Pot and black came to mind then LOL

Must be the week for batteries running flat on Renaults... same thing happened to us last Friday. OH went to start car, funny noise occured and nothing, NADA de NADA.... so he opened the bonnet, and had a look (I meanwhile sit there chortling because I know that he knows that he hasn't a clue, ni idea, what he is looking at), and then he gets on the phone the ring la grua... (btw he's chuntering in Spanish now after I read out Mikes post LOL). He then rings the Renault garage to tell them to get a battery ready.

45 mins later grua turns up, jump starts car, and we poodle off to Guaza. (OH wanted him to follow us to Guaza, I just laughed). Anyway, get to Guaza, straight in, chat to man at desk, leave him the keys, pop to other desk to ask how much for a electric window motor (as drivers side window broke the other week - I don't drive, so no skin off my nose). 300 Euros for the motor? OMG - he told them he'd order it another day. Then he went to say hello to other employee there, who suggested he go to Chafiras to a place where he could get a second hand one cheaper (OH is a friendly cheeky chap so always gets info without trying). Then we had a quick cuppa in the bar there, so all in all only waited 15 mins for it to be sorted, Bob's your auntie, thank you very much that'll be 74€ for the pleasure.

ps. plus the cup of tea and coffee OH just reminded me

Same with my old one - both my front windows went, I was told 250 for each one - stuff that i just used the back ones and the sun roof.

warbey
06-09-2012, 20:25
Ive just checked My Breakdown Arrangements..

Looks like I could be next.

I like the Honda too!