PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed for a Tenerife bank that can provide me with the following...

JimmyBoy
05-09-2012, 06:13
I am hoping that some one here can offer me some advice. several years ago I lived on Tenerife and obtained a N.I.E number then for work commitments I had to move away from Tenerife , and I am currently based in Singapore.

I am planning to return to Tenerife and make it my home / base , but still having to travel for work commitments.

When I return to Tenerife I will need to open a bank account that offers its customers the following facility's

1. Cheque book
2. Credit / Debit card
3. On line access to bank account to check balance
4. On line option to transfer money from the Tenerife bank account to another bank , which could be any where in the world .

Does any one have such a bank account set up and running with a bank on Tenerife ?

Any information / suggestions / advice most welcome

Thanks - Jim

fonica
05-09-2012, 07:42
All Spanish banks offer these facilities,some have lower costs and you need to know about transfer costs between banks and for bringing money into the country.Maybe speak to Linda Constantine ,the manager of the Santander in Los Cristianos or Lloyds in the Fanabe plaza shopping Center.Your NIE number will remain the same but you will need to get a new certificate from the police station.

chocaholic
05-09-2012, 09:20
Banco sabadell their online is in English, you can transfer easily. santander online is only in spanish and we are not able to transfer online.
I doubt you will get a credit card with any bank unless you allocated and pay in the money, eg they give you a card for 3000 but you pay 3000 into a separate account solely for a card. debit cards yes you can obtain. https://www.bancsabadell.com/en/ tells you the charges for different accounts.

Megaloo
05-09-2012, 09:25
I would recommend Sabadell, find them very good. Credit cards -----I have friends that have them but I know they keep a very good balance, and what you spend is paid at the end of month. My account with them I have a direct Debit from England each month without charges.

CIM
05-09-2012, 17:43
I bank with CajaCanarias, Sabadell and Deutsche and all of them offer all of these services.
I now choose banks and branches based on how busy the local branch is so that if I ever need to visit I am not going to be queuing up for 2 or 3 hours on a busy weekday morning. They are all expensive so far as fees and I have found it difficult to pick one bank out of any in Spain that is truly a cut above the rest. It generally comes down to specific staff in specific branches

AL JAY
05-09-2012, 18:01
I am hoping that some one here can offer me some advice. several years ago I lived on Tenerife and obtained a N.I.E number then for work commitments I had to move away from Tenerife , and I am currently based in Singapore.

I am planning to return to Tenerife and make it my home / base , but still having to travel for work commitments.

When I return to Tenerife I will need to open a bank account that offers its customers the following facility's

1. Cheque book
2. Credit / Debit card
3. On line access to bank account to check balance
4. On line option to transfer money from the Tenerife bank account to another bank , which could be any where in the world .

Does any one have such a bank account set up and running with a bank on Tenerife ?

Any information / suggestions / advice most welcome

Thanks - Jim

Jimmyboy can you change your avatar please?

JimmyBoy
06-09-2012, 12:52
A ''BIG '' thank you to every one who offered advice, its much appreciated . I had not heard of Sabadell , So that's one I will contact .

Is there by chance a HSBC bank in Tenerife ?

AL JAY

Not too sure what you mean about changing my avatar? .

Thanks - Jim

CIM
06-09-2012, 13:06
No HSBC banks in Spain - at least no retail ones. HSBC refer their clients to Sabadell and offer some "Bonuses" but the amount to very little in terms of tangible benefits when you look at their mortgage option, they drop the opening fee by 50% but do nothing about the interest rates or anything else.

May be worth asking what it costs to transfer funds between HSBC and Sabadell though. If they offer a good rate then it gives you a good yardstick when comparing with other means of moving money in and out.

Megaloo
06-09-2012, 13:38
I transfer a monthly amount between HSBC to Sabadell with no charges but they do this from any Bank in the UK if you bank with them.

AL JAY
06-09-2012, 14:16
A ''BIG '' thank you to every one who offered advice, its much appreciated . I had not heard of Sabadell , So that's one I will contact .

Is there by chance a HSBC bank in Tenerife ?

AL JAY

Not too sure what you mean about changing my avatar? .

Thanks - Jim

Hi Jim,You are using the same Avatar as mine,I think you should pick another one!

TOTO 99
06-09-2012, 14:58
Hi Jim,You are using the same Avatar as mine,I think you should pick another one!

Yeah...there's only room for one forum creep....:laugh:

JimmyBoy
06-09-2012, 15:01
AL JAY

Sorry about that I'm still learning :ashamed:

regards - Jim

Ricman
07-09-2012, 11:40
Back to the script. The smart move would be to check out the solvency or liquidity ratios of the various banks.

A very quick check would point to the right one as you don`t want to lose your dosh.

They all offer the same services ( poor to awful ). I have had personal disasters at Solbank, Santander & BBVA & other people all have a misfortune tale of most of the others.