PDA

View Full Version : Health What do people think of the no smoking laws in Tenerife these days?

Loaded
05-09-2012, 09:50
How does everyone feel about them now that some time has passed?

From a non smokers point of view I love being able to sit in a cafe or bar without breathing in smog.

A lot of people were concerned about the effect on local businesses, how do they feel now?

If there has been negative effect On businesses - should it be scrapped or I've we got used to it as it is?

LUCKY
05-09-2012, 10:31
How does everyone feel about them now that some time has passed?

From a non smokers point of view I love being able to sit in a cafe or bar without breathing in smog.

A lot of people were concerned about the effect on local businesses, how do they feel now?

If there has been negative effect On businesses - should it be scrapped or I've we got used to it as it is? many public houses in the uk closed and i believe some may have closed partly to do with the law, i do not like to be told about smoking when sat in the beer garden in summer, where are these people in winter when i am sat outside smoking in the snow wind and rain etc, the answer to that is sat at home drinking alchol purchased from the supermarkets, not having to venture out to give the hostelry there custom:drinking:

Callaoanne
05-09-2012, 10:49
As a reformed smoker(30 years) I am pleased with the new laws although non smokers are usually unable to sit outside but relegated to interiors and I like to sit outside and sometimes have to put up with nauseous fumes and ash drifting over me. Whilst I recognise the right of anyone to smoke or not, I would make a plea for smokers to be considerate and I will not preach to them----all I can say is that until you stop smoking you do not realise how unpleasant it can be for others-- I know I didn't!
It is good to be able to eat ameal in a restaurant without smoke around and our restaurants here in Callao have coped well with the restrictions.

Ecky Thump
05-09-2012, 10:57
Here we go again, how long will the thread run before people start getting hot under the collar and fall out with each other, as happened in the past on this subject.:spin:

Me, I think the law is great!!........Over and Out!!:crazy:

LUCKY
05-09-2012, 10:59
Here we go again, how long will the thread run before people start getting hot under the collar and fall out with each other, as happened in the past on this subject.:spin:

Me, I think the law is great!!........Over and Out!!:crazy: Me too if it keeps the peace , nuff sed:tiphat:

tonypub
05-09-2012, 11:05
as a smoker and bar owner,im happy with how its gone for me.my terrace is my shop window, so now it nearly always has people on it.people attract people.the no smokin crew wanted to go in bars that are smoke free,you got it.now they want smoke free terraces,these people will never be happy unless they are moaning

carpenter
05-09-2012, 11:48
I'm an ex smoker, I smoked for 10 years+ and I've been clean 6 years now.

I was not in favour of the smoking ban, but is has increased revenue in bars in the UK and everywhere else in the world that has banned smoking in public places and has made the bar experience more pleasurable.

As far as the terraces are concerned that's not a tricky one. 1st come 1st served! But if I'm sat down with my baby and someone sparks up within close distance that is bad, no, disgustingly bad manners. When I was a smoker I showed more consideration.

About 5 weeks back when my wife was in the final stages of pregnancy we went for a curry (to help things along) and we were sat outside the Taj in San Blas and a couple came out and sparked up very close behind me. I asked them to show more consideration and pointed out that my wife was over 9 months pregnant to which the woman said "it won't harm her!"

That woman nearly got a punch in the face!

Each to their own but spare a thought, and that means the non smokers too. Perhaps bar owners should have mixed areas. Purely voluntary. Smoking area, mixed smoking non smoking area and a complete non smoking area. It worked on public transport and in restaurants for many years before the ban.

It your choice to smoke and it's our choice not to smoke. We can't pollute your lungs with second hand "clean air" but you can pollute ours with second hand smoke!
Ask Roy Castle his opinion of passive smoking!

Oh, and please don't spark up in the bar and then walk outside and please please please don't smoke just outside the doors. What's the f ing point of going outside then?

Suej
05-09-2012, 12:35
as a smoker and bar owner,im happy with how its gone for me.my terrace is my shop window, so now it nearly always has people on it.people attract people.the no smokin crew wanted to go in bars that are smoke free,you got it.now they want smoke free terraces,these people will never be happy unless they are moaning

I agree! people even seem to moan if you are completely out in the open and having a puff! I would never sit near a pregnant woman or near a child and light up! It has happened that a family plonked themselves down at a table next to us (outside) we were not smoking at the time so my OH showed them his ciggie packet to give them a choice to move further away, they just smiled then lit up themselves! they had a toddler and a smaller child in a buggy with them! we were shocked to say the least!:eek:

PS I do not allow anyone to smoke in my house and respect the law in bars/Restaurants! it really doesn't bother me in the least! :spin:

YOUNG GOLFER
05-09-2012, 12:55
As a smoker it has maybe made me cut back a little as i can't be arsed to go outside every time i want one.
But have to say went on a 4 day break a few weeks back and a guy about 50feet away shouted something over at me about the smoke going in his direction when out side watching the entertainment.

The law is not so bad we can all make changes but that guy just took the p.... we are now made by law to smoke outside i have no problem with that and if someone is eating next to me outside i would still get up and move i don't want to ruin anyone's meal but at the same time someone who complains 50feet away should really make the effort to move if it was bothering him that much.

Lee Bullen
05-09-2012, 16:10
I preferred the previous laws where bars could choose; this gave people the right to choose. But like so many things today, it's yet another choice that's been taken away. So no, I'm not enamored by the change! However, we hardly live in a bleak and damp landscape! Popping outside for a fag is actually very pleasant here on the rock - even if it is enforced upon us!

Loaded
05-09-2012, 19:53
But would Anyone change Back if
The chance was given?

Fred Perry
05-09-2012, 19:53
The laws have been accepted by both sides as far as I am aware and I think most are used to it now.
Young Golfer; it is ridiculous that someone that was 50ft away asked you to stop smoking outside. That is being far too touchy.

Lee; with all the respect in the world going down the "choice" argument makes me so annoyed. If bars had a choice they would mostly all want smoking so there would be no point in the whole thing.

Next, smoking whilst driving should be banned. How is that different than for someone to be on their mobile phone?

Loaded
05-09-2012, 20:07
Try calling your mum on a cigarette!

AL JAY
05-09-2012, 20:12
There are also a few bars that don't enforce it which i found a bit odd! Im a smoker and totally disagree with Fred Perry regards driving,I think using a mobile phone is far more dangerous than having a fag whilst driving!

marbro8
05-09-2012, 20:16
i was a casual social smoker for 30 years, i would get through 20 ciggs on a friday night and not touch one till the next friday? and i have not had one for about 5 years now, in my line of work i go into about 8 houses a day ,social housing, they are sent letters now asking them not to smoke while i am working, i think that it is an insult to them, at the end of the day even though they are renting the property from us it is still their house? i would never ask them not to smoke in front of me,as long as people are considerate enough not to smoke while i am eating then no problem, the thing is when in tenerife you want to eat outside most nights because some places do not have air con inside, but us non smokers have a choice, we can eat inside with no smoke or outside with it, smokers only have one, what would we have them do smoke in the street and be ostracized like lepers:redcard:

carpenter
05-09-2012, 20:23
There are also a few bars that don't enforce it which i found a bit odd! Im a smoker and totally disagree with Fred Perry regards driving,I think using a mobile phone is far more dangerous than having a fag whilst driving!

That depends if your having a fag whilst driving in Brighton :)

leonard
05-09-2012, 20:36
I find the non smoking law too draconian. As far as the UK pubs??are concerned most are owned by breweries and `Pubco`s`.
I question whether these are pubs as they resemble more eateries or the American Diners however the owners would prefer them to be non smoking. So be it .
But too dictate that a private owner should not be allowed to choose is as disgusting. There are enough pubs in this country to suit everyone,so why should those that dislike it complain. Probably because they think someone might be enjoying a quiet drink whithout the smell of food,and also drinking `till closing time. Most eateries are dead after 9.30pm

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

PS, I forgot to add, Idon`t smoke and never have, but I love the traditional Pub, which sadly has declined in numbers, perhaps more from the drink/driving laws than anything.

Fred Perry
05-09-2012, 20:52
By the way smoking while driving is going to be banned in Spain sometime soon I am quite sure I saw that. (I will try and find link).

Yes. Someone in Gran Canaria was fined 60€ for driving with a ciggie back in April 2012.

Lee Bullen
05-09-2012, 21:58
'Draconian' doesn't even come close to it! ... next we'll be fined for changing the radio station, skipping a track or rolling down a window! - I'm sorry, Fred, but it's all about 'choice' at the moment, in every aspect of life, because they can't find enough ways to take it away, stop thought and fine anyone who breathes out of place...
Everyone knows the dangers of smoking, and that should be that - it's then up to that individual if they still want to pursue the hobby or not. And if I fancy a Benson & Hedges 'tween my lips while sipping a nice coffee inside a designated smoking establishment, then I should be bloody allowed to do it!

Suej
05-09-2012, 22:08
'Draconian' doesn't even come close to it! ... next we'll be fined for changing the radio station, skipping a track or rolling down a window! - I'm sorry, Fred, but it's all about 'choice' at the moment, in every aspect of life, because they can't find enough ways to take it away, stop thought and fine anyone who breathes out of place...
Everyone knows the dangers of smoking, and that should be that - it's then up to that individual if they still want to pursue the hobby or not. And if I fancy a Benson & Hedges 'tween my lips while sipping a nice coffee inside a designated smoking establishment, then I should be bloody allowed to do it!

Apparently we have to wear the correct footwear whilst driving too! it's all going way too far!:confused:

carpenter
05-09-2012, 22:11
Apparently we have to wear the correct footwear whilst driving too! it's all going way too far!:confused:

That I agree with! Sorry but flip flops and bare feet cannot depress a brake pedal with sufficient coverage or force. Soz :(

Suej
05-09-2012, 22:15
That I agree with! Sorry but flip flops and bare feet cannot depress a brake pedal with sufficient coverage or force. Soz :(

No one will stop me driving in my high heels! :cry:

Lee Bullen
05-09-2012, 22:25

We need to rise up in the name of smokers and inappropriate shoe-wearers everywhere!! :agree:

marbro8
05-09-2012, 22:39
Apparently we have to wear the correct footwear whilst driving too! it's all going way too far!:confused:i completely agree, i love driving in my high heels, only because i am 5ft 4":eyebrows:

slodgedad
05-09-2012, 22:56
i completely agree, i love driving in my high heels, only because i am 5ft 4":eyebrows:

Am I to understand that the high heels bring you closer to the pedals?

Dan747
05-09-2012, 23:21
The problem we have both in Tenerife and the UK when it comes to seeing the effect the ban has had on business is the fact the deepening recession will now skew the results , a lot of pubs are quieter now as people have less money to spend in pubs in the UK, especially with the forever increasing price of alcohol, while the growing 'all inclusive' gang stay away from bars and restaurants in Tenerife.

I think we'll see if it has had any real effect when the economy improves and people start to spend again and can compare to the pre-recession days, when that will be is the big question though!

Suej
06-09-2012, 11:52
i completely agree, i love driving in my high heels, only because i am 5ft 4":eyebrows:

I knew you would love these Marbro so ordered you a pair! :laugh:

Fred Perry
06-09-2012, 11:55

That is your opinion Lee but I am 100% against everything you said. Rolling down a window, changing a radio station does not affect innocent people, smoking does.
"Choice" is okay when it only affects yourself. I could choose to throw red paint all over a passer-by in a street, Is that okay then? As long as I have my right to do what I want?

To me, the argument about "Itīs my choice" is a million times worse than the actual smoking itself.

YOUNG GOLFER
06-09-2012, 12:21
Well if it's my car and you want a lift then i can smoke if I wish....if it's your car then i will not.
But Fred smoking is no where near as bad as people who use their phones.
Hands up how many people have used their phones to call someone or answer it when driving if not now but in the pass................. or to text or read a text, and how many members on here have seen people writing a text whilst driving loads.
Now that will kill innocent people.......

Texting While Driving Statistics

About 6,000 deaths and a half a million injuries are caused by distracted drivers every year.
While teenagers are texting, they spend about 10 percent of the time outside the driving lane they’re supposed to be in.
Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver’s reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. That is enough time to travel the length of a football field.

When i see someone texting when driving I will beep my horn at them you want to see them jump.....if they want to dice with death then that's up to them but not fair on other drivers.
When i light up a cig in my car i will use the lighter that comes with the car as you hear it click up and you have no need to take your eyes of the road.
And to be fair Fred if it was that dangerous then why are cars made with these built in lighters.

marbro8
06-09-2012, 17:37
I knew you would love these Marbro so ordered you a pair! :laugh:

3723i wish i had got the figure to wear them :laugh:

Suej
06-09-2012, 18:15
i wish i had got the figure to wear them :laugh:

If they make your bum look big you can send them back Hon!:eyebrows:

Peterrayner
13-09-2012, 08:54
ALL SMOKING in public and work places should be banned.

aunty nailtech
13-09-2012, 09:00
i don't smoke but i do feel that places have become empty because they can no longer smoke it is a social thing as well as a habit just like the uk pubs have suffered ! it's nice to go out and not smell when i get home butt the same time places are empty and boring !

Muppet
13-09-2012, 09:08

No more than alcohol .......

TF1
13-09-2012, 10:34
No more than alcohol .......
Or sex .....

Suej
13-09-2012, 12:30
Sieg Heil!!!!!!:whistle:

dixie4
13-09-2012, 15:54
I know this about Tenerife smoking laws but I have to tell you about my local eatery owned by a chain here in UK. They have a large outside terrace area with tables and seating for the odd day when conditions allow.
One sunny day recently I was outside having a smoke at a table at this establishment when someone asked me to refrain from smoking because they were eating. OK I thought at first but then I noticed a large sign on the wall almost next to me saying 'This is a designated smoking area'
Some people want it all ways!

Suej
13-09-2012, 17:50
I know this about Tenerife smoking laws but I have to tell you about my local eatery owned by a chain here in UK. They have a large outside terrace area with tables and seating for the odd day when conditions allow.
One sunny day recently I was outside having a smoke at a table at this establishment when someone asked me to refrain from smoking because they were eating. OK I thought at first but then I noticed a large sign on the wall almost next to me saying 'This is a designated smoking area'
Some people want it all ways!

Just miserable moaners that wouldn't be happy unless every micron of pollution was removed from the atmosphere! I hope you sparked up again!http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-057.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

carpenter
13-09-2012, 18:47

So where can smokers have a puff? Or are they to be treated as lepers? That statement is a bit "communist" I feel.

It already is banned in work places and all enclosed public places.
What next? farting in public to be banned? I know how about banning people from renting out their apartments to people wanting a cheap holiday that's just as ridiculous and takes away peoples freedom of choice too.

This is a stupid argument especially in Tenerife where there is sun 365 days a year and cigs can be bought for less than a euro a pack. There are cafe's on every corner and the culture fills the air, people smoke and people sit outside.

Having said that inconsiderate smokers should have their electric lighters wired straight to their pacemakers!

Suej
13-09-2012, 18:52
So where can smokers have a puff? Or are they to be treated as lepers? That statement is a bit "communist" I feel.

It already is banned in work places and all enclosed public places.
What next? farting in public to be banned? I know how about banning people from renting out their apartments to people wanting a cheap holiday that's just as ridiculous and takes away peoples freedom of choice too.

This is a stupid argument especially in Tenerife where there is sun 365 days a year and cigs can be bought for less than a euro a pack. There are cafe's on every corner and the culture fills the air, people smoke and people sit outside.

Having said that inconsiderate smokers should have their electric lighters wired straight to their pacemakers!

Inconsiderate meaning inside? http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/smoking-cannabis-002.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/facebook-smileys.html)

Peterrayner
13-09-2012, 18:57
All Smoking is "inconsiderate".

carpenter
13-09-2012, 19:05
All Smoking is "inconsiderate".

Blimey Adolf

And Sue no :) smokers in my book are only inconsiderate when they choose the closest chair to another Non smoking party, or smoke closely to a pregnant woman or a child. Most smokers know that most non smokers look down their noses at them and it's developed into a cold war between the two sides.

If a smoker ask me if I mind them smoking I say no, but if my wife (b4 she was pregers) was there I would ask them not to as she is asthmatic. I've done a damn site worse to my body over the years to worry about a bit of second hand smoke!

irishmusico
13-09-2012, 19:16
So where can smokers have a puff? Or are they to be treated as lepers? !

I think that is the best policy. Give them their own colony or put them in the zoo with all the other lepers. Filthy disgusting drug addicts. Did you ever kiss one.Its licking an ashtray. They are a drain on the health service and a blight on humanity in general. And they smell.

carpenter
13-09-2012, 19:37
I think that is the best policy. Give them their own colony or put them in the zoo with all the other lepers. Filthy disgusting drug addicts. Did you ever kiss one.Its licking an ashtray. They are a drain on the health service and a blight on humanity in general. And they smell.
LMFAO ha ha ha

I do agree with the health service bit, I've personally known of 3 women that continued to smoke whilst having cancer treatment 2 on this island. If they don't care why should anyone else?

melm
13-09-2012, 19:39

I DON't THINK SO.....

YOUNG GOLFER
13-09-2012, 20:00

Not a very nice thing to say.

LUCKY
13-09-2012, 20:06
Not a very nice thing to say. correct i agree

carpenter
13-09-2012, 20:09

But blooming funny though! it's just missing a ;) at the end then it would get an "approved" stamp from the Tenerife Forum PC Police

LUCKY
13-09-2012, 20:09
please refrain from smoking on this web site:d:d:d

carpenter
13-09-2012, 20:16
It's not like crossing the border into Yorkshire when you're handed a ferret, a whippet, a flat cap, some string to hold up yer trousers, a pack of rizlas and some golden Virginia. This less less refined :lol:

harbern
13-09-2012, 20:30
what would happen if smokers stopped coming to tenerife ??keep you non smokers happy ?? sitting by your lonesome !!! maybe start on people who like a wee tipple,sure you'd find something to complain about

warbey
13-09-2012, 20:31
As a reformed Smoker I can smell Cigarette Smoke from Yards away.
I stopped for a lot of reasons, and I am glad I did, many Years ago.
I have seen People trying to dodge the Law by smoking inside Public Places too.
People who come back inside after a smoke outside, do bring the smell of Tobacco in with them.
My Clothes had that smell when I undressed after a night out, and perhaps indicates
how this smoke spreads around, according to the Medical Profession, endangering Health of Others (passive smoking)

If Others choose to smoke that is Their affair, They may be unable to stop,
I would think twice before going on a Car Journey with someone who smoked now.
but admit the first thing I did was light up.

People who are addicts usually get some sort of help from the Medical Profession
even though strictly only causing Themselves Damage
Nicotine Addicts get none or very little, and Medically They are endangering others.

Is it not correct then, that People who Smoke, if They should die of a Smoking related Illness,
have actually committed suicide..?, or a Roy Castle with passive Smoking, should be Manslaughter.?

Nihil carborundum illegitimus. :devil2::devil2::wow:

YOUNG GOLFER
13-09-2012, 20:41
Right off to the Pub for a beer and smoke and a good laugh with friends see you later.:hello:

And remember if you don't like the smell of smoke then all you have to do is get up and sit somewhere else:fpull:.

Not sure which is worst smelling smoke standing next to people with B.O or someone who has nothing better to do than moan moan moan.:nono::nono::nono:

LUCKY
13-09-2012, 20:41
:feret:
It's not like crossing the border into Yorkshire when you're handed a ferret, a whippet, a flat cap, some string to hold up yer trousers, a pack of rizlas and some golden Virginia. This less less refined :lol: It is liking crossing the border into Yorkshire i find that not many in Tenerife understand me as in Yorkshire , As my psychiatrist seems to be always reminding me :flatcap:
:feret:

carpenter
13-09-2012, 20:46
what would happen if smokers stopped coming to tenerife ??keep you non smokers happy ?? sitting by your lonesome !!! maybe start on people who like a wee tipple,sure you'd find something to complain about

You should no by now that you can't smoke, you must make an effort speak the language, you must stay in a legalized rentals, you must use licensed taxis, you must not breed dogs, you must not say "back in the UK", you must accept that the Spanish way is "the way" you must accept everything and not complain or seek cheap alternatives then everyone will like or thank you ;)

Suej
13-09-2012, 21:12
LMFAO ha ha ha

I do agree with the health service bit, I've personally known of 3 women that continued to smoke whilst having cancer treatment 2 on this island. If they don't care why should anyone else?

that's like saying the NHS shouldn't treat obese people until they lose weight carpenter! I have known at least 2 people to die of heart disease! and other surviving heart attacks not smokers by the way just obese! :wow:

LUCKY
13-09-2012, 21:50
You should no by now that you can't smoke, you must make an effort speak the language, you must stay in a legalized rentals, you must use licensed taxis, you must not breed dogs, you must not say "back in the UK", you must accept that the Spanish way is "the way" you must accept everything and not complain or seek cheap alternatives then everyone will like or thank you ;):flatcap::feret: THANK YOU

Suej
13-09-2012, 22:16
:flatcap::feret: THANK YOU

That means keeping pregnant ferrets Lucky! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-054.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

carpenter
13-09-2012, 22:21
that's like saying the NHS shouldn't treat obese people until they lose weight carpenter! I have known 2 people to die of heart disease! not smokers by the way just obese! :wow:

I will never see the smokers point of view on this one Sue. It is true that the NHS have refused to give "life saving" surgery to overweight people unless they lose some weight 1st. I think this shows willing by both parties.

But this is about the smokers who have been diagnosed with cancer that refuse to quit after or even during treatment. The cause of which was not helped by smoking and in many cases the direct cause I have no compassion for and quite frankly utter disgust when I see I child suffering from leukemia through absolutely no fault of their own. That smoker is taking precious medical time and care away from that sick child by not even bothering to help themselves. Selfish and shouldn't be allowed.

Sorry but that's how I feel about smokers outside hospital doors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQw9i2RyPZU

YOUNG GOLFER
13-09-2012, 22:47
Not sure where we are going with this now........but the thread title was about what people thought about the no smoking laws in Tenerife.
I think from my side of things as a smoker it's not really changed that much to me..........the other day I was at a dentist yes I know you can't smoke but the Dentist opened the balcony door so I and others to have a smoke.

By the way I then had a chewing gum and some water before he took out my tooth.

Must of been too many sweets and too much sugar when i was a child......but like Smoking that was my choice back then.

carpenter
13-09-2012, 23:06
Not sure where we are going with this now........but the thread title was about what people thought about the no smoking laws in Tenerife.
I think from my side of things as a smoker it's not really changed that much to me..........the other day I was at a dentist yes I know you can't smoke but the Dentist opened the balcony door so I and others to have a smoke.

By the way I then had a chewing gum and some water before he took out my tooth.

Must of been too many sweets and too much sugar when i was a child......but like Smoking that was my choice back then.

Just starting out on that big circle YG. We'll be back on topic in about 270 degrees times

Suej
14-09-2012, 11:30
This thread is going OT it's about the smoking laws in Spain not a platform to have a go at smokers in general! No one imo has the right to tell others what to do in this life! Go have a pint or feed your own addictions!Rant over going for a fag (outside) now! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/smoking-030.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

TF1
14-09-2012, 12:38
Me and the OH are both non smokers. We go into bars and see live music now. We wouldnīt have done so a few years ago, because neither of us appreciate our hair and clothes smelling like an ashtray.

A few decades ago, you could smoke in supermarkets, buses, trains, flights, etc. Just 15 years ago I had an issue with Air Futura for allowing someone in the seat in front of me to smoke whilst myself + 2 kids were half choking. Now it is considered normal that it is prohibited in these places, and in a matter of time, this mindset will pass over to bars and restaurants. In the meantime, some customers for the bar trade will be lost, others gained. And I canīt imagine anyone choosing a holiday just because they have to nip outside for a fag, particularly with our climate.

Comparisons to alcohol consumption are ridiculous, you drink your own alcohol and the guy next to you does not. You smoke, and the guy next to you has to inhale your smoke as well.

This is not a pitch against smokers, just a reminder that non-smokers live on this planet as well and have the right to breath nicotine-free air in public places.

Ecky Thump
14-09-2012, 12:53

Me, I think the law is great!!.:crazy:

This thread is going OT it's about the smoking laws in Spain not a platform to have a go at smokers in general! No one imo has the right to tell others what to do in this life! Go have a pint or feed your own addictions!Rant over going for a fag (outside) now! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/smoking-030.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

I gave up smoking, drinking booze, all I have to give up now is SEX and 50% of the world's problems will have been cured.:cheeky:

Muppet
14-09-2012, 12:54
Me and the OH are both non smokers. We go into bars and see live music now. We wouldnīt have done so a few years ago, because neither of us appreciate our hair and clothes smelling like an ashtray.

A few decades ago, you could smoke in supermarkets, buses, trains, flights, etc. Just 15 years ago I had an issue with Air Futura for allowing someone in the seat in front of me to smoke whilst myself + 2 kids were half choking. Now it is considered normal that it is prohibited in these places, and in a matter of time, this mindset will pass over to bars and restaurants. In the meantime, some customers for the bar trade will be lost, others gained. And I canīt imagine anyone choosing a holiday just because they have to nip outside for a fag, particularly with our climate.

Comparisons to alcohol consumption are ridiculous, you drink your own alcohol and the guy next to you does not. You smoke, and the guy next to you has to inhale your smoke as well.

This is not a pitch against smokers, just a reminder that non-smokers live on this planet as well and have the right to breath nicotine-free air in public places.

The real point though is the bulk of arguments levied against smoking are based on the cost to society for the treatment of those who become ill through smoking.

The cost to the country - UK or Spain - through drinking related illnesses and the aftermath of binge drinking sessions is just as large, alcohol is also an addictive drug, and, in fairness just as addictive

TF1
14-09-2012, 13:29
I understand your argument, Muppet, but the difference between smoking and drinking is that you donīt get many passive drinkers. The European laws which were passed and later implemented in Spain resulted in the law having to ban smoking in many public places because the smoke residue was deemed harmful to staff within these areas. That is what the legislation is based on, not the political or health care cost aspect.
It is this passive contamination issue, which is unique to smoking, which has also created social issues between non-smokers and smokers.

primrose
14-09-2012, 13:37
I understand your argument, Muppet, but the difference between smoking and drinking is that you donīt get many passive drinkers. The European laws which were passed and later implemented in Spain resulted in the law having to ban smoking in many public places because the smoke residue was deemed harmful to staff within these areas. That is what the legislation is based on, not the political or health care cost aspect.
It is this passive contamination issue, which is unique to smoking, which has also created social issues between non-smokers and smokers.

So are all the people that are moaning about passive contamination from smoking prepared to give up their cars as people walking along footpaths have no choice but to breath other peoples exhaust fumes.

TF1
14-09-2012, 14:24
Hardly a relevant comparison. Stopping the circulation of cars and other transport would put society back into the dark ages. Requiring smokers to participate in their chosen habit outside of public enclosed areas to prevent non-smokers having to breath their 2nd hand smoke is hardly going to have a similar result.
And I donīt believe youīll find much evidence that pedestrians have a high risk of lung cancer from walking near to roads. However, studies are conclusive that passive smoking does cause lung cancer.

primrose
14-09-2012, 14:36
Hardly a relevant comparison. Stopping the circulation of cars and other transport would put society back into the dark ages. Requiring smokers to participate in their chosen habit outside of public enclosed areas to prevent non-smokers having to breath their 2nd hand smoke is hardly going to have a similar result.
And I donīt believe youīll find much evidence that pedestrians have a high risk of lung cancer from walking near to roads. However, studies are conclusive that passive smoking does cause lung cancer.

Second hand smoke or second hand exhaust fumes, sorry but you can't have it both ways, both have a risk but many people will choose to ignore the risk from exhaust fumes as it will inconvenience them.The law in Tenerife is no smoking inside but some people want it all, you are allowed to smoke on a terrace get used to it.Oh and before you ask no I don't smoke.Go on the Internet and you will find a lot of evidence that exhaust fumes cause cancer.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18415532

ciderhunter
14-09-2012, 14:49
Now look, I have been a passive smoker since I started going into bars in the 1960's and I don't see why I should have to give it up now.

TF1
14-09-2012, 15:01
As per my previous comment, eliminating exhaust fumes overnight would be rather more than an inconvenience; it would result in a collapse of civilization. Eliminating having to breath someoneīs smoke merely results in smokers having to smoke at a reasonable distance from the non-smoking public; itīs that logical and straightforward.

Regarding the argument for smoking on terraces, it can be rather disgusting if someoneīs smoke blows across your table whilst having a meal. Iīve noticed many considerate smokers trying to keep their smoke is as controlled as possible, whilst others unfortunately do not, even making a point of blowing smoke across other tables.

PS; Iīm sure those inconsiderate smokers would complain if I were to aim my butt in their direction and fart across their table whilst they were enjoying their meal, (which I would deem equally unpleasant as their own fumes), and Iīm quite sure that such an action would probably break several laws.

primrose
14-09-2012, 15:17
As per my previous comment, eliminating exhaust fumes overnight would be rather more than an inconvenience; it would result in a collapse of civilization. Eliminating having to breath someoneīs smoke merely results in smokers having to smoke at a reasonable distance from the non-smoking public; itīs that logical and straightforward.

Regarding the argument for smoking on terraces, it can be rather disgusting if someoneīs smoke blows across your table whilst having a meal. Iīve noticed many considerate smokers trying to keep their smoke is as controlled as possible, whilst others unfortunately do not, even making a point of blowing smoke across other tables.

PS; Iīm sure those inconsiderate smokers would complain if I were to aim my butt in their direction and fart across their table whilst they were enjoying their meal, (which I would deem equally unpleasant as their own fumes), and Iīm quite sure that such an action would probably break several laws.

Smoking on Terraces is legal,your example is just disgusting and if that is the only way you can put your point across you really shouldn't have bothered.

Medman
14-09-2012, 15:43
Now look, I have been a passive smoker since I started going into bars in the 1960's and I don't see why I should have to give it up now.

Exactly , no thought given to contented passive smokers :eyebrows:

Muppet
14-09-2012, 16:36

So you are saying there is no risk to staff in a bar or club for example from drunken clients? Tell that to the many staff who have been glassed, or abused by drunken louts, to the point of being scarred for life, or ambulance and other medical and council staff who end up cleaning the city streets after a brawl.

Both are arguably as bad as each other in the wrong place and at the wrong time, as costly as each other, and as anti-social. Invariably of course, both also tend to go hand in hand. If one is deemed bad enough to ban, then so is the other ....

carpenter
14-09-2012, 17:07
Ha exhaust fumes versus smoking what a ridiculous comparison.

And anyway does anyone remember when leaded petrol was started to be phased out petrol heads were up in arms claiming that unleaded fuel will harm their engines and engine performance will be effected by having to retard ignition timing. That in their books was an infringement of their human rights :lol:

Another blooming moan and complaint by the public that has been forgotten.

Just because you are outside doesn't give you the moral right to light up but it does give you the legal right, there are other considerations that any "polite" person would take into account.

I don't care if you smoke, I care if you expect health care for smoking related illnesses and refuse to quit, I care if you smoke next to my family, I care if you take a seat next to mine and light up when there are plenty of other seats free for you to use, I care if you put your cigarette out in the ash tray on my table, I care if you stand just outside an entrance and smoke and above all I care when you don't care.

Get over yourselves, smoking KILLS and not everyone is ready or wanting to die. I do not believe nonsmokers have the right to alienate smokers but there must be acceptance from both sides.

If I was YG when someone 50ft away complained when he lit up I probably would have sat next to them and smoked and said if you don't like it move inside and stop being so anal.

If I had a smoker light up next to me and say "well you're breathing in exhaust fumes which are just as dangerous" I'd probably punch their ignorant uneducated lights out! But that just me :)

TF1
14-09-2012, 17:09
Smoking on Terraces is legal,your example is just disgusting and if that is the only way you can put your point across you really shouldn't have bothered.

Iīm glad you find it disgusting. Perhaps it may help you to understand how non-smokers feel whilst being obliged to breath someone elseīs contamination.

So you are saying there is no risk to staff in a bar or club for example from drunken clients? Tell that to the many staff who have been glassed, or abused by drunken louts, to the point of being scarred for life, or ambulance and other medical and council staff who end up cleaning the city streets after a brawl.

Both are arguably as bad as each other in the wrong place and at the wrong time, as costly as each other, and as anti-social. Invariably of course, both also tend to go hand in hand. If one is deemed bad enough to ban, then so is the other ....

Iīm afraid this is yet another poor comparison. The majority of drinkers do not behave that way, and drink without causing danger to anyone. Those who do behave abusively are breaking the law, and can be prosecuted. But EVERY smoker in a public enclosed area is automatically filling that area with toxic fumes which cause cancer. That is why it has been banned in every European country.

YOUNG GOLFER
14-09-2012, 17:22
I like reading this give it a go if you want.

http://smokingoutthetruth.com/

primrose
14-09-2012, 17:33
Iīm glad you find it disgusting. Perhaps it may help you to understand how non-smokers feel whilst being obliged to breath someone elseīs contamination.

Iīm afraid this is yet another poor comparison. The majority of drinkers do not behave that way, and drink without causing danger to anyone. Those who do behave abusively are breaking the law, and can be prosecuted. But EVERY smoker in a public enclosed area is automatically filling that area with toxic fumes which cause cancer. That is why it has been banned in every European country.

I am a non smoker and I have no problem with anybody smoking on a Terrace, if I did I would move inside where the law says smoking is not allowed it's that easy , it's smoke free, and as for smoking v exhaust fumes being a ridiculous caparison why ? both cause Cancer and you breath both in.

carpenter
14-09-2012, 17:37
I like reading this give it a go if you want.

http://smokingoutthetruth.com/

But reading this it's saying that smokers faces are blurred "that's because permission wasn't given to show their face" look at any show that involves the public and you will see faces out of focus.
People interviewed holding children? That because the bill was to outlaw smoking in places that children gather.

Am I not getting your point here sir ???

slodgedad
14-09-2012, 17:40
I am a non smoker and I have no problem with anybody smoking on a Terrace, if I did I would move inside where the law says smoking is not allowed it's that easy , it's smoke free.

At last, a post that is on topic

carpenter
14-09-2012, 17:42
I am a non smoker and I have no problem with anybody smoking on a Terrace, if I did I would move inside where the law says smoking is not allowed it's that easy , it's smoke free, and as for smoking v exhaust fumes being a ridiculous caparison why ? both cause Cancer and you breath both in.

Catalytic converters have practically eliminated all harmful exhaust gases, also without road transport where would we be?

YOUNG GOLFER
14-09-2012, 17:49
Just to make it fair i think that anyone who is a non smoker and wants to eat outside then i think they should be provided a mask......it can work both ways you don't get to smell the smoke and us smokers don't get to hear you moan about it.

Simple......................

TF1
14-09-2012, 17:51
I am also a non smoker, and I do have a problem with someone sitting next to me blowing smoke over me. I should not have to go indoors just to be able to breath clean air!!!!
And yes, once again, smoking vs exhaust fumes is an utterly ridiculous comparison. Transport is an essential element of modern civilization. If transport were to be halted, then civilization would crash. If smoking in public was halted, civilization would go on the same. There are risks involved with just about everything we do, but there is always a balance of benefit against risk. Transport is beneficial to society, so itīs risks are accepted.

Suej
14-09-2012, 17:52
Catalytic converters have practically eliminated all harmful exhaust gases, also without road transport where would we be?

On yer bike!!!:smoking: Sorry carpenter couldn't resist!:eyebrows:

carpenter
14-09-2012, 17:56
For the record smoke if you want to, reason being there's loads of things I do that pollute other peoples space so I'm the last person that can possibly complain. Puff away :) Just don't tell me to turn my metal, punk, OI!, SKA down even one notch :)

Loaded
14-09-2012, 18:35
The humble fart - Mankinds natural revenge on smokers

warbey
14-09-2012, 19:07
Tenerife, in common with the Rest of Europe has No Smoking Laws.

These have been passed to protect Non Smokers from harmful Smoke inhalation.

I think They are reasonably fair to both sides of the Argument.

It doesnt matter WHAT You may think because its Law and should be obeyed like all Laws.

End of Story.

YOUNG GOLFER
14-09-2012, 20:07
End of thread ............been here before worn the t-shirt.

Got to be better things to talk about.

Right i am off to Tennis i will have a cig and a beer first then be ready to kick some butt.......later guys.

Suej
14-09-2012, 22:21
End of thread ............been here before worn the t-shirt.

Got to be better things to talk about.

Right i am off to Tennis i will have a cig and a beer first then be ready to kick some butt.......later guys.

I have to agree YG! 3841

irishmusico
24-09-2012, 12:13
I think that is the best policy. Give them their own colony or put them in the zoo with all the other lepers. Filthy disgusting drug addicts. Did you ever kiss one.Its like licking an ashtray. They are a drain on the health service and a blight on humanity in general. And they smell.

LMFAO ha ha ha

I DON't THINK SO.....

Oops! I don't post here as often as I used to so maybe I went a bit far there. It might not be such a good idea to put them in a zoo as they would be a health hazard to the other animals. Unless they had their own airtight cage. Now that might solve the problem.

Oh yes.........Two things I forgot to put in my last post :) ;)

Now I am off outside for a smoke ;)

Ecky Thump
24-09-2012, 12:21
Oops! I don't post here as often as I used to so maybe I went a bit far there. It might not be such a good idea to put them in a zoo as they would be a health hazard to the other animals. Unless they had their own airtight cage. Now that might solve the problem.

Oh yes.........Two things I forgot to put in my last post :) ;)

Now I am off outside for a smoke ;)

In the words of Mrs Brown,........."That's Nice":bootyshake:

Red Devil
24-09-2012, 12:43
Whatever happened to live and let live? Smoking is still legal, my mother and grandmother both suffered lung cancer, both were from non smoking households.
After seeing a consultant over a recurrent chest infection my husband was told categorically there was no definite link to passive smoking and cancer. If the consultant doesn't know, then I certainly dont
I am a non smoker but am happy sitting outside where smokers can also sit, most of them are quite considerate anyway.
Cant really equate smoking as a drug on a par with alcohol - I feel safe walking down a street where there are plenty of smokers, not sure about feeling the same where there are plenty of alcoholics.

TF1
24-09-2012, 14:02
Whatever happened to live and let live? Smoking is still legal, my mother and grandmother both suffered lung cancer, both were from non smoking households.
After seeing a consultant over a recurrent chest infection my husband was told categorically there was no definite link to passive smoking and cancer. If the consultant doesn't know, then I certainly dont
I am a non smoker but am happy sitting outside where smokers can also sit, most of them are quite considerate anyway.
Cant really equate smoking as a drug on a par with alcohol - I feel safe walking down a street where there are plenty of smokers, not sure about feeling the same where there are plenty of alcoholics.

Roy Castle was a non smoker, but died from cancer caused from inhaling smoke when he used to play as a musician in clubs. This was one of the 1st high profile cases, but it is still a very common cause of cancer. Passive smoking is a proven killer so the more this risk is reduced, the less non-smokers will die as a result. As such, many European countries are implementing legislation to prohibit smoking in any public places, thus eliminating the risk. Donīt you see this as a step forward for humanity?

Red Devil
24-09-2012, 14:45
Roy Castle was a non smoker, but died from cancer caused from inhaling smoke when he used to play as a musician in clubs. This was one of the 1st high profile cases, but it is still a very common cause of cancer. Passive smoking is a proven killer so the more this risk is reduced, the less non-smokers will die as a result. As such, many European countries are implementing legislation to prohibit smoking in any public places, thus eliminating the risk. Donīt you see this as a step forward for humanity?

But that is my point - smoking isnt the only cause of lung cancer as both my relatives' deaths proved and yet people are so quick to judge. And you and me differ over whether passive smoking is "a proven killer".

TF1
24-09-2012, 15:55
Quote from the W.H.O. study regarding passive smoking;-

The study in question is a case-control study on the effects of ETS on lung cancer risk in European populations, which has been carried out over the last seven years by 12 research centres in 7 European countries under the leadership of WHO's cancer research branch -- the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
The results of this study, which have been completely misrepresented in recent news reports, are very much in line with the results of similar studies both in Europe and elsewhere: passive smoking causes lung cancer in non-smokers.

Red Devil
24-09-2012, 16:26
[QUOTE=TF1;220297]Quote from the W.H.O. study regarding passive smoking;-

[I]The study in question is a case-control study on the effects of ETS on lung cancer risk in European populations, which has been carried out over the last seven years by 12 research centres in 7 European countries under the leadership of WHO's cancer research branch -- the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
The results of this study, which have been completely misrepresented in recent news reports, are very much in line with the results of similar studies both in Europe and elsewhere: passive smoking causes lung cancer in non-smokers.)

Ah ... but what about this one www.smokingoutthetruth.com/the-who-report/:D

Angusjim
24-09-2012, 16:50
So its all quite safe this passive smoking lark would any body let their bairns into a room full of smokers puffing away ? I think not. As for considerate HO HO !! why do smokers always blow smoke away from where they are sitting the smoke always seems to drift to us non smokers, this is particulary annoying when smokers have just finished a meal and feel they have to light up giving no thought to others who are sitting a few feet away trying to eat their meal :nono: ( it happened to us many times last week when eating outside in Spain )