PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork Can a non-Spanish passport holder travel within Spain with an out-of-date passport?

Happy Days
06-09-2012, 12:36
Would any one know - My passport went out of date in May of this year, and I havn't got round to ordering the replacement (I have been putting it of in case I could find a way round paying close to 200€!). It is also really quite damaged due to going though the washing machine.

I would like to go for two days to Madrid nhe weekend after next. So can I still travel with an out of date (and poor condition) passport.

If it help's I have my green residencia slip, and a Spanish drivers licence (the older style pink one with the photo stapled on).

Thank you in advance.

casabonny
06-09-2012, 17:05
No sorry you need your green certificate , a valid in date passport and the certificate of empronmiento.Did you know by the way that it is actually illegal to be in Spain without a valid passport ?
I'd get onto Madrid consulate and order a new one pronto

seanocelt
06-09-2012, 17:33
Im about to get the town hall travel certificate, i believe it has beeen scrapped/replaced by the empadronamiento? If the O.P. is flying with Ryanair then all the docs listed above are indeed needed, cant see any airline letting you fly without one, or the Spanish ID carried by Nationals.

warbey
06-09-2012, 20:09
You are not a Passport Holder. Its ran out. The old one may be some proof of who You are but nothing else.

Foreign Nationals are supposed to have their VALID Passport with Them at all times when on Holiday.

I think its silly as We are supposed to be E.U. Citizens, but We dont make the Rules.

Casabonny is usually correct with this kind of Information too.
Best of Luck.

woolli
06-09-2012, 21:07
No sorry you need your green certificate , a valid in date passport and the certificate of empronmiento.Did you know by the way that it is actually illegal to be in Spain without a valid passport ?
I'd get onto Madrid consulate and order a new one pronto

If its illegal, there are many who should be ordering - pronto. Lookie lookie men, not a passport between them! I know of many expats who have let there passports run out who cant even afford a new passport. How do they stand legally?

casabonny
06-09-2012, 22:22
If its illegal, there are many who should be ordering - pronto. Lookie lookie men, not a passport between them! I know of many expats who have let there passports run out who cant even afford a new passport. How do they stand legally?

I don't know how this would affect looked lookie men , but I dont see that non EU citizens are any diffferent , but certainly EU citizens are legally obliged to have a valid passport or ID document or else they can potentially be deported. I am stating what the legal requirements are and I know for a fact of Canarians who have been pulled up for not carrying their DNI s, how often have you seen a Canarian not being Able to show thier ID ?
whilst I accept that UK passports are expensive it's not a choice as to whether to renew but a legal necessity.

carpenter
06-09-2012, 22:55
Would any one know - My passport went out of date in May of this year, and I havn't got round to ordering the replacement (I have been putting it of in case I could find a way round paying close to 200€!). It is also really quite damaged due to going though the washing machine.

I would like to go for two days to Madrid nhe weekend after next. So can I still travel with an out of date (and poor condition) passport.

If it help's I have my green residencia slip, and a Spanish drivers licence (the older style pink one with the photo stapled on).

Thank you in advance.

Where did you get €200 from? Renewals are only £80 give or take a few pence

carpenter
07-09-2012, 00:41
How much? Takenstraight from the Passport Office site a few minutes ago

UK Passport fees in Spain are:

Adult passport

32-page passport - €172
48 page passport - €207

Child Passport

Child passport (32 pages) - €109

Then don't do it in Spain! Get someone back in "ingerland" to do it for you it's a no brainer!
They send you forms, you fill them out, send them back to your friend/family using their residence in UK with photo (done correctly don't do it in Spanish photo booth) they send the whole package off with payment to Mr Passport people and they in turn send it back to your make believe UK residence. Your friends/family then send new passport to you.

That's how!

Unless you got money to throw away of course!

timmylish
07-09-2012, 00:43
I can confirm what has already been stated by Casabonny in that is is illegal to BE in Spain without a current Passport. Nothing can be used in its place.

samnickgodber
07-09-2012, 07:49
Then don't do it in Spain! Get someone back in "ingerland" to do it for you it's a no brainer!
They send you forms, you fill them out, send them back to your friend/family using their residence in UK with photo (done correctly don't do it in Spanish photo booth) they send the whole package off with payment to Mr Passport people and they in turn send it back to your make believe UK residence. Your friends/family then send new passport to you.

That's how!

If your a resident in Spain you are supposed to do it through Madrid,,,
Not really sure how they would find out you no longer live in the UK but knowing my luck they would x

dede
07-09-2012, 07:51

That's how!

Its against the law to do this and if you are found out could have serious consequences, plus would you put that much faith in the Spanish post ???

Skeggy
07-09-2012, 07:53
Put Up and Pay Up.........

junglejim
07-09-2012, 08:16
I Have replaced mine when home in UK this June- I filled in form on line before going home so that it was at my legal UK address ,completed form,photos(from an authorised booth) and sent off with old passport on regular 1st class mail -cost 77:50. paid by debit card.
The passport office sent back the original cancelled passport and 19 days later a new 10yr passport arrived at my UK home address -I don´t know how long the process takes here but I´m sure if you contact Santa Cruz office they will tell you .

casabonny
07-09-2012, 09:31
As has been said going the UK route when you are resident here is not only wrong but I believe illegal. It's the same as having a Uk driving licence renewal when in actual fact YOU DO NOT LIVE THERE,it's not the same as being a British citizen that's not the issue the issue is where you live.
Passports from Madrid are generally quite quick, we have helped many people with this and have never had a problem with sending or receiving as you post yourself , so always send certified post and they are ALWAYS returned by courier , which is by far the safest method in these circumstances .

carpenter
07-09-2012, 10:05
Its against the law to do this and if you are found out could have serious consequences, plus would you put that much faith in the Spanish post ???

So is driving to church on Christmas day but who pays attention to that? For that matter how many people have stayed registered with their UK GP or dentist? You can argue all you like but no one on here does 100% of things 100% legally.
I'm always looking for a discount or bargain and I can't blame anyone else for doing the same.

what serious consequences? Probably sent back with instructions to use the British consulate. But chances of this happening are very very low.

I paid my taxes in the UK for many years and in my opinion they owe me. I am not still registered with my GP or dentist but I still have a UK bank account and UK address where my bank stuff gets sent. This is the same address I used.

The OP said that €200 was too steep so I gave him another option.

Spanish post? send it recorded!

golf birdie
07-09-2012, 10:19
any British person can renew their passport in the UK, it is perfectly legal. Doing it from abroad is where the problem may lie. Not sure if it illegal or they just don't want you doing it this way. How they can justify the high costs abroad is a mystery IMO.

timmylish
07-09-2012, 11:55
Legal or illegal to obtain a Passport thru' the UK whilst living here. The issue is the forms repeat time and again that you must reside at the location shown by you on the form! Sorry but I have to agree that we cannot all be goody-two-shoes all the time! As with others I paid my Taxes and Social payments for many years in the UK and subsequently here and on the peninsula so I do feel that I am not commiting murder or such serious actions. You will note that I have refrained from indicating what I have done whilst a resident of Spain and I have no intention of doing so!

junglejim
07-09-2012, 12:12
Passport Regs.
The price is also coming down by 5 quid!
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Renewingorextendingyourpassport/DG_174096