PDA

View Full Version : Is Ryanair safe?

alex.sibianu
08-09-2012, 12:35
A few days back i heard about their Fuel incident where a plane of the company was forced to land because of their low fuel policy, and now this:

A RYANAIR flight from Madrid to the Canary Islands was forced to turn back and land in the Spanish capital shortly after takeoff yesterday due to safety concerns (depressurisation.)

More about the incident here:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0908/1224323738644.html

Susief
08-09-2012, 13:19
There is nothing wrong with RA, wish people would stop scaremongering! They are no worse than any other airline! Just get the publicity!
I am booked on a flight in Oct and have flown 3/4 times a year with them and have never felt unsafe!
Can't say the same for a Monarch flight was on last year and aborted landing after putting landing gear down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fixer
08-09-2012, 15:55
Working in the aircraft industrie as i do flying with Ryan Air 4 and 5 times a year they are safe they have to comply with all the regulations in order for them to run a airline if they didnt they would be grounded by the caa simple as that.

Vortex Wake
08-09-2012, 18:55
Depressurisation is not uncommon .

Ryanair fly one of the most modern fleet of aircraft - not ex ' someone airline gone bust ' using 20year old 737s

carpenter
08-09-2012, 19:58
Aeroflot versus Ryan Air mmmmm Ryan Air every time.

Every aircraft has problems once in a while,some big some small but you never usually get to hear about them.
That's why there are strict checks and advanced warning systems and back ups in place. A Boing 737 does not need both it's engines to fly.

I too used to work in the hangers and there is nothing to worry about! These planes have 7 times more strength than necessary.

It's the drunk pilots you want to worry about ;)

tfs_longlets
08-09-2012, 20:25
& you are asking this question on a Tenerife Forum? Why would we know the answer?

Price of beer in Las Americas? best fish restaurant in Los Abrigos? Great, we are the people!!

Airline safety? you ask some builders, cleaners, oaps & wannabe visitors who frequent this forum about aircraft safety? Any answer will be speculation

maybe you should ask here http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/are-some-airlines-just-too-dangerous-to-fly-3460/?gclid=COTM6prZprICFUbMtAodURsAXA

I flew 4 times TFS-Mad return, 4 times last year with Ryanair & TFS-Porto without incident. I hope this helps.

Muppet
08-09-2012, 22:20
not topping up the tank common as well ??

murph
08-09-2012, 23:30
30 minute turnaround at Arrecife last week, where the re-fuelers were RUNNING to and from the plane and the staff.

Ok probably not dangerous in itself, but I couldn't help thinking what other checks were being rushed!

Angusjim
09-09-2012, 08:14
[/SIZE]]]& you are asking this question on a Tenerife Forum? Why would we know the answer?[/B]Price of beer in Las Americas? best fish restaurant in Los Abrigos? Great, we are the people!!

Airline safety? you ask some builders, cleaners, oaps & wannabe visitors who frequent this forum about aircraft safety? Any answer will be speculation

maybe you should ask here http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/are-some-airlines-just-too-dangerous-to-fly-3460/?gclid=COTM6prZprICFUbMtAodURsAXA

I flew 4 times TFS-Mad return, 4 times last year with Ryanair & TFS-Porto without incident. I hope this helps.

To get people to read his Web Development advert ;):whistle:

Vortex Wake
09-09-2012, 10:15
I should add that commercial airliners have radio transponders that emit (squawk) codes numbers - some numbers are specific to certain conditions.

7500 squawk = hijack
7600 = radio failure
7700 = general emergency (aircraft or passenger etc issues)

If you monitor sites like Flightradar24.com , you will see 7600 and 7700 happens on an almost hourly basis.

Pilots also report 'unserviceable' aircraft functions via radio prior to landing - maybe a lamp failure or something more serious for engineers to fix before the plane fly's again.

So you begin to get a picture that no aircraft are completely fault free.

My experience of cabin decompression is based on the fact of listening to aircraft flying over southern UK and France and hearing these reports first hand.

9PLUS
09-09-2012, 12:29
Great thread

alex.sibianu
09-09-2012, 12:51
To get people to read his Web Development advert ;):whistle:

For the web development advert i pay forum publicity. :callme:

I have a general concern about airline safety (and sharks) :)

I am flying for quite a while but Ryan Air is the first company i hear to have so much "bad publicity".
Yes they are cheap, yes they have good planes, yes they do have to comply to safety checks but why so many incidents that relate to this company?

In this thread i just wanted to get the forum's feeling about this company.

Angusjim
09-09-2012, 13:42
For the web development advert i pay forum publicity. :callme:

I have a general concern about airline safety (and sharks) :)

I am flying for quite a while but Ryan Air is the first company i hear to have so much "bad publicity".
Yes they are cheap, yes they have good planes, yes they do have to comply to safety checks but why so many incidents that relate to this company?

In this thread i just wanted to get the forum's feeling about this company.
Thank you I am well served for work to our website but I am sure another plug on this thread will not do you any harm ;)

Try thread below plenty discussion in there which expresses members feelings :tiphat:

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?4492-Tenerife-Forum-Ryanair-information-and-discussion-thread

Rickiebear
09-09-2012, 14:48
Hi, we have used Ryanair a number of times from Bristol. They are great, new planes, attentive staff, leave and arrive on time. I have no complaints.

murph
09-09-2012, 15:12
And....Again http://www.canarianweekly.com/ryanair-flight-jumps-queue/

balababe
09-09-2012, 22:50
Ryanair planes are on average 2 1/2 years old - I recently flew with Monarch and found that the plane was 22 years old. Flight was delayed for three hours because of a "technical issue". Give me Ryanair any time - at least they leave and arrive on time. Just follow the instructions - and also don't buy wine at £7 for a small bottle!!!

murph
10-09-2012, 00:00
Ryanair planes are on average 2 1/2 years old - I recently flew with Monarch and found that the plane was 22 years old. Flight was delayed for three hours because of a "technical issue". Give me Ryanair any time - at least they leave and arrive on time.

That's one of the reasons I fly with them but if you don't put petrol in your brand New Rolls Royce it wont go!!! And if you don't check the wheel nuts are tight on your 2 Year old Merc, the wheels will fall off - Just Saying :devil:

Dan747
11-09-2012, 04:11
Quite, some of these 15-20 year aircraft are in just as good nick as the 2-3 year old ones, it all comes down to maintenance and Monarch are the best in the business at that and have a world reknowned tech department who deal with maintenance for countless other airlines.

The is Ryanair safe question is one that pops up all the time, opinion is mixed, that includes within the airline industry as well, you just need to read pprune.org - a forum for professional pilots, to see the divided opinion on Ryanair. They have some questionnable policies but until there is an incident that says otherwise then there is nothing to say they are any less safe than any other airline.

An example to show just how mixed views are within the industry is this pilots comment on pprune regards to the Spanish CAA investigation into Ryanairs fuel policy -

"When I was with FR (happily not now!) always said I'd rather be at the bottom of the league having made all the right operational fuel decisions.

Bear in mind the Company is run under a culture of fear (from the man at the top) and some of the workforce have bought into the principal of "We were only following orders".

If ever there was a reason for unionisation this issue must surely be it.

IMHO it's just a matter of time before there is a big bang."

tfs1
20-09-2012, 22:05
please see link re this Julys 'Valencia redirect fuel issue' - it appears that all was ok and not out of the ordinary.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/official-valencia-fuel-report-confirms-ryanair-eu-ops-compliance-and-safety

Dan747
21-09-2012, 02:48
Interestingly here is press coverage of that story, with a classic Daily Mail title quoting an aviation accident investigator saying Ryanair are 'courting disaster'.

Seems there is now another investigation into a Tenerife bound flight from Paris that had to divert to Madrid last Sunday due to low fuel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2205314/Ryanair-courting-disaster-flying-planes-near-fuel-tanks-cut-costs.html

Ecky Thump
21-09-2012, 07:47
If I were a pilot and I was asked to fly a plane where there was any possibility of it running out of fuel midair, I think my first response to the boss would be.....

I am not a Kamikaze Pilot!!

Fly Ryanair to Tenerife and feel safe.:)

doncarlos
21-09-2012, 14:02
To put things into perspective, check out this:

http://avherald.com/

Actually Iberia has filed more incidences this year than Ryanair.

blondie
21-09-2012, 16:15
Sometimes I think we are all playing into Uncle Mickeys hands with all the discussion there is about Ryanair. There is no way on this earth he would be allowed to flout any of the rules regarding safe flying. He For puts two fingersup toanyone who challenges him and the powers that be dont like it. We have all been manipulated for years by the big boys and their fixing of prices can you imagine what BA s profits must have been years ago with the prices they charged. I for one will continue flying with him and give him the publicity he seems to seek if it gets me to my favourite rock as often as possible at a decent cost.

Harmonicaman
21-09-2012, 16:58
This isn't Ryanair, but a Monarch charterd filght run by Lithuanian firm Aurela airlines. It seemed to skid of the runway after landing at Birmingham airport today. The airport was shut for two hours. This is the same plane that left 150 passengers stranded in Tenerife last month when a door was faulty.
Give us a tow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19676990)

warbey
21-09-2012, 19:51
Ryan air also suffered depressurisation at 30k plus some weeks ago when a valve" failed. The Backup also was inoperative, as has been fitted

when built, the wrong way round.

Another incident was turbulence injuring Passengers on approach to a Balearic Island.

Ryan Air fly more routes than most, so it follows more incidents can take place.

murph
21-09-2012, 20:50
Seems there is now another investigation into a Tenerife bound flight from Paris that had to divert to Madrid last Sunday due to low fuel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2205314/Ryanair-courting-disaster-flying-planes-near-fuel-tanks-cut-costs.html

Big Difference Paris / Madrid - Paris / Tenerife!!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

This isn't Ryanair, but a Monarch charterd filght run by Lithuanian firm Aurela airlines. It seemed to skid of the runway after landing at Birmingham airport today. The airport was shut for two hours. This is the same plane that left 150 passengers stranded in Tenerife last month when a door was faulty.
Give us a tow (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-19676990)

We were unfortunate enough to fly on an 'Aurela' plane (chartered by Thomas Cook) a few years ago from Manchester to Tenerife.
It was the most frightening experience we have EVER had flying. The plane was at least 30 years old, it had ashtrays that still had a bit of ash in and was actually hidden round the back of Manchester Airport (we had to get a bus to it, believe it or not - they were obviously too ashamed to let anyone see it).
Taking off was a nightmare as it screamed to get off the ground. It rattled and shook all the way there - you literally couldn't hear yourself speak, have a sleep, or concentrate on a book. Nightmare!

i love the beach
22-09-2012, 14:56
You lot are making me ill ! We are due to fly with Ryanair for the first time in November and I am dreading it ! Is it really £7 for a small bottle of wine, cos I am going to need a few of them to get through the flight lol ?

kingbaker
22-09-2012, 18:31
You lot are making me ill ! We are due to fly with Ryanair for the first time in November and I am dreading it ! Is it really £7 for a small bottle of wine, cos I am going to need a few of them to get through the flight lol ?

I'm sure the number of passenger trips they have handled, runs into the billions, and I've never heard of them loosin' anybody yet....I doubt if

they're gonna start with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::D

TOTO 99
22-09-2012, 18:41
I'm sure the number of passenger trips they have handled, runs into the billions, and I've never heard of them loosin' anybody yet....I doubt if

they're gonna start with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::D

All the same, It might not be worth splashing out on a return ticket....:laugh:

Ecky Thump
22-09-2012, 19:04

Also, take a parachute instead of normal hand luggage!!:cheeky:

deepdivejunkie
22-09-2012, 19:04
You can certainly save money with them, espaecially when they have offers on. Like the one at the moment.
Free flights for children on selected routes. Check online to see if Tenerife is included.

warbey
22-09-2012, 19:05
After reading this Thread, I now understand why these

Holiday Companies dont ever tell You about Your Flight arrangements.

Getting there and back is better than the Official Secrets Act.........................:devil::devil:

i love the beach
22-09-2012, 19:17
Cheers everyone, we booked a cheap deal flight & acc, didnt realise who we were flying with but I am sure it will be fine. (fingers crossed)

Harmonicaman
22-09-2012, 19:27
Good old Michael O'Leary. Ryanair have been exonerated of any wrongdoing in recent Spanish press releases and as he said before, his planes carried more than the minimum required for diversion purposes. He was also cleared of falsely declaring 3 emergency diversions...Canarian Weekly (http://www.canarianweekly.com/ryanair-call-truce/)

TOTO 99
22-09-2012, 19:57
Good old Michael O'Leary. Ryanair have been exonerated of any wrongdoing in recent Spanish press releases and as he said before, his planes carried more than the minimum required for diversion purposes. He was also cleared of falsely declaring 3 emergency diversions...Canarian Weekly (http://www.canarianweekly.com/ryanair-call-truce/)

I think O'leary's "no such thing as bad press" games will bite him on the backside with this one. He's made himself out to be the king of cutting costs with pay for toilets, fat tax, standy up seats etc. all of which were nonsense and just to keep him in the news.
People get a bit jumpy about flying and even though he's been exonerated I think this one will stick in people's minds. I believe their sales will suffer following this. There is such a thing as bad press.....

Harmonicaman
22-09-2012, 20:12
I wonder. Good old Joe Public are always looking for a deal and if Ryanair keep giving lowest prices then they'll choose them.

murph
22-09-2012, 20:20

Maybe spend the £7 you were going to spend on wine on extra life insurance! :D:devil2::sorry:

i love the beach
22-09-2012, 20:24
Ha ha at least I have gave you something to laugh at !:raspberry2:

candy2411
23-09-2012, 10:25
I remain happy to fly with Ryanair , not just because they offer the best prices, but their aircraft are new, plenty of room, they're always on time.

The fact the cabin crew can be a bit abrupt is ok with me, I haven't paid 5* price so I don't need pampering.

We've all seen the family of four or five who get on last and then whinge that they can't sit together.

Furthermore, having learned recently of the problems another airline has had with a leased aircraft from Lithuania? I think I won't be flying with them.

Ryanair have a vast fleet and don't need to engage the support of very old aircraft from pretty much unknown airlines.

imablue
23-09-2012, 17:18
I too have flown Ryanair ..and ya know what ..i,m still here to post ...they got me there...and they got me back ...
Very much like in America its a bus service ...:goodluck:

Dan747
24-09-2012, 19:02
Very much like in America its a bus service ...:goodluck:

If only Ryanair were like the low-costs of America like Southwest Airlines then I doubt they would have as bad reputation and so many mixed opinions, Southwest who Ryanair were modeled on have got it spot on and offer low prices with a really good service, shame we haven't got a European equivalent.

Ecky Thump
24-09-2012, 20:36
If only Ryanair were like the low-costs of America like Southwest Airlines then I doubt they would have as bad reputation and so many mixed opinions, Southwest who Ryanair were modeled on have got it spot on and offer low prices with a really good service, shame we haven't got a European equivalent.

In what way have they got a bad reputation? I only see a relatively small amount of honest bad press and most of that comes from people who bad mouth them because they don't adhere to a few simple rules.:nono:

Read the booking conditions, abide by them and have a great flight as I will in 10 hours time.:tiphat:

Dan747
25-09-2012, 23:12
Their reputation speaks for itself, they are a company that causes a mixed opinion more so than any other airline, as somebody who works in the industry, their reputation as an employer isn't the best either with many pilots and crew reporting a 'culture of fear', but they don't have any other option than to work for them at the moment given the economic times, Michael O'Leary laps up as much bad press as possible to get the company image into the papers cementing that image further.

I personally know quite a few people who won't fly with Ryanair anymore, they prefer to pay extra to get a better standard of service, while of course I know others who will fly with them just because they are cheap or the only airline on the route, hence they cause a mixed opinion and generally get themselves a bad name. Even O'Leary himself has admitted this, but he simply doesn't care and has stated people will keep traveling with them while they are cheap.

warbey
26-09-2012, 20:22
I wonder what position in the Industry would be held by Dan Air if they still existed,..?

Monarch have ordered five or six Dreamliners. Perhaps a little more Upmarket.?

Dan747
28-09-2012, 11:10
Monarch have ordered five or six Dreamliners. Perhaps a little more Upmarket.?

Monarch have now cancelled their dreamliner order, they stated that they were going to concentrate on their short-haul network instead due to long-haul profits taking a battering. Thomson are still getting some though so we'll get to test them out eventually!

warbey
28-09-2012, 17:59
Monarch have now cancelled their dreamliner order, they stated that they were going to concentrate on their short-haul network instead due to long-haul profits taking a battering. Thomson are still getting some though so we'll get to test them out eventually!

I wasnt aware Monarch had cancelled.

Tui had around 8 ordered originally, but reduced to 4 I think.?

1st Delivery in around 5 months isnt it.?

Dan747
30-09-2012, 21:53
Here's the news about Monarchs cancellation http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/1/1/1/38120

If I recall rightly the first 787 for Thomson is supposed to arrive early next year, Jan/Feb has been rumoured. Thomson have 8 on order with a further 13 options, first 3 should be flying next year.

Sal
30-09-2012, 22:04
I personally know quite a few people who won't fly with Ryanair anymore, they prefer to pay extra to get a better standard of service, while of course I know others who will fly with them just because they are cheap or the only airline on the route, hence they cause a mixed opinion and generally get themselves a bad name. Even O'Leary himself has admitted this, but he simply doesn't care and has stated people will keep traveling with them while they are cheap.

We now fly Ryanair since our local airline (Palmair) went bust. We were really worried to start with, but now having had several flights with Ryanair we think they are OK - just stick to the rules with baggage allowance and dimensions for hand-luggage, print your own boarding-passes and it's fine.......................and half the price of Palmair!

Dan747
30-09-2012, 22:11
We now fly Ryanair since our local airline (Palmair) went bust.

Palmair haven't actually gone under have they? They were just a 'trading name' of Bath Travel when they operated their own charter flights, Bath Travel still exist I think... when the economy improves, I wouldn't be surprised if Palmair resurface.

From what I heard about them, they were a good little company, just a shame Ryanair moved onto their routes from Bournemouth and effectively killed them off.

Vortex Wake
30-09-2012, 22:15
And Palmair flew all winter too - Ryanair stopped flying Nov/Dec/Jan once Palmair had gone.

Sal
30-09-2012, 22:15
Palmair haven't actually gone under have they? They were just a 'trading name' of Bath Travel when they operated their own charter flights, Bath Travel still exist I think... when the economy improves, I wouldn't be surprised if Palmair resurface.

There are no Palmair flights any more - not sure what Bath Travel offer. Palmair only had one plane which was leased from another company and apparently they owed that company and had to return the aircraft.....................I think - don't quote me!!

Dan747
30-09-2012, 22:26
Yea just had a little read online about their fate, seems Bath Travel do still exist and continue to sell holidays, they have put the Palmair venture to sleep for the time being, stating increased competition and the economic situation meant they couldn't continue with it, apparently they will restart it if things improve.

Though with Ryanair now on all their routes, I wouldn't want to put a bet on it! Shame to see a small local company beaten by the bigger boy who moved in on their patch.

Vortex Wake
30-09-2012, 22:27
Palmair haven't 'gone under' . The company was put into a 'deep freeze' to quote wiki .

Or put another way - they paid off all their creditors in a correct fashion and could potentially fly in future when trading conditions are better.

Sal
30-09-2012, 22:45
Yea just had a little read online about their fate, seems Bath Travel do still exist and continue to sell holidays, they have put the Palmair venture to sleep for the time being, stating increased competition and the economic situation meant they couldn't continue with it, apparently they will restart it if things improve.

Though with Ryanair now on all their routes, I wouldn't want to put a bet on it! Shame to see a small local company beaten by the bigger boy who moved in on their patch.

Palmair haven't 'gone under' . The company was put into a 'deep freeze' to quote wiki .

Or put another way - they paid off all their creditors in a correct fashion and could potentially fly in future when trading conditions are better.

That's really good to hear - given the choice I would rather pay the extra to fly Palmair where you didn't have £80 add on for luggage and in-flight meals were included and seats were allocated at check-in (instead of queueing for 2 hours to get seats on Ryanair)!

warbey
01-10-2012, 20:16
There are sometimes advantages with "Brand" Loyalty..

Sal
01-10-2012, 20:20
There are sometimes advantages with "Brand" Loyalty..

:agree: Maybe Palmair will return someday! :airplane:

warbey
02-10-2012, 19:09
And T.U.I. have ordered two Embraer 190 for the Belgian group, for delivery early 2013

dagoseed72
06-10-2012, 15:12
A few days back i heard about their Fuel incident where a plane of the company was forced to land because of their low fuel policy, and now this:

A RYANAIR flight from Madrid to the Canary Islands was forced to turn back and land in the Spanish capital shortly after takeoff yesterday due to safety concerns (depressurisation.)

More about the incident here:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0908/1224323738644.html

I do think it is safe although the quality of service is not the best. This airline has neved had a crash in 30 years.

d.