PDA

View Full Version : Can I fly wearing a sling?

Susief
08-09-2012, 13:23
I am due to have surgery on my shoulder at the end of the month! My Consultant has said I will be in a sling for 6 weeks after. He said I will be okay to travel/fly 10 days after.
Have a flight booked with RA Oct, would I need to notify them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashok Patel
08-09-2012, 14:34
Yes, you should inform them from a Health and Safety angle as they need to know about anyone who might heve a problem exiting the aircraft in an emergency. But I don't think they'll charge you any extra for the sling.

ashok

Skeggy
08-09-2012, 15:11
I am due to have surgery on my shoulder at the end of the month! My Consultant has said I will be in a sling for 6 weeks after. He said I will be okay to travel/fly 10 days after.

I broke my shoulder in tenerife two years ago which required surgery, the Consultant at the Green Hospital issued me with an Ok to fly certificate and I had no problem returning with Easy Jet with my arm in a sling, however it made no difference to the pushers and shovers on boarding they still pushed and shoved.....haha.

Susief
08-09-2012, 15:47
I broke my shoulder in tenerife two years ago which required surgery, the Consultant at the Green Hospital issued me with an Ok to fly certificate and I had no problem returning with Easy Jet with my arm in a sling, however it made no difference to the pushers and shovers on boarding they still pushed and shoved.....haha.

I will ask my doc if he'll give me some kind of note!
We have reserved seating in the emergency exit seats so will need to change mine.

Susief
08-09-2012, 15:48
Yes, you should inform them from a Health and Safety angle as they need to know about anyone who might heve a problem exiting the aircraft in an emergency. But I don't think they'll charge you any extra for the sling.

ashok

Haha you never know with RA! Could be classed as extra baggage!

karinagal
08-09-2012, 16:44
I think that it is only the person in the seat right next to the door who has to be fit and able to help in an emergency.. The other 2 seats are fine...

Susief
08-09-2012, 16:58
I think that it is only the person in the seat right next to the door who has to be fit and able to help in an emergency.. The other 2 seats are fine...

Is it? Thought anybody that sat there had to be?
It's not definite I can go yet, op on 28th trip was booked for 7th. Consultant did say a few weeks convalescing in Tenerife would be beneficial!
Will be on complete rest!

chifleta
08-09-2012, 16:59
I was just chortling at the title "can I fly wearing a sling" .... I just had this fleeting image of someone flapping just one arm like mad trying to get off the ground :cheeky::lol::rofl::heyhey:

Susief
08-09-2012, 17:02
I was just chortling at the title "can I fly wearing a sling" .... I just had this fleeting image of someone flapping just one arm like mad trying to get off the ground :cheeky::lol::rofl::heyhey:

It was funny when I wrote the title I chuckled to myself too!

Harmonicaman
08-09-2012, 17:40
Storks can do it...

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyf5CvCjmBFp9Jk-qglfoHM6H_Vqpgp9_hGWs_ID1bDH86OPTmoQ

karinagal
08-09-2012, 17:51
Is it? Thought anybody that sat there had to be?
It's not definite I can go yet, op on 28th trip was booked for 7th. Consultant did say a few weeks convalescing in Tenerife would be beneficial!
Will be on complete rest!

I'm basing this on the fact that on a Thomas Cook flight, the one nearest the exit is classed as an exit seat and was the same price as normal seats to pre-book whereas the other 2 were classed just as extra leg room seats and were £30 to book!

Malteser Monkey
08-09-2012, 20:09

It was funny when I wrote the title I chuckled to myse

Oh thank God it's just not me tho I was going to say let the pilot do his job and you sit with the passengers hun :lol:

Susief
09-09-2012, 07:48
Oh thank God it's just not me tho I was going to say let the pilot do his job and you sit with the passengers hun :lol:

You are a naughty Monkey!

Malteser Monkey
09-09-2012, 11:09
You are a naughty Monkey!

Some things never change hun - Good morning

Susief
09-09-2012, 11:19
Some things never change hun - Good morning

Haha they defo don't! Morning to you too!

Tom & Sharon
09-09-2012, 14:09

Susie, I (Sharon) have flown several times this year whilst incapacitated with a broken leg. I have flown with a full cast up to the thigh, a half cast up to the knee, and then a removable cast. I have flown with Thomas Cook, Monarch & Ryanair.

I can tell you that Ryanair are the easiest to fly with. Thomas Cook and Monarch wanted all kinds of information and doctors letters, fit to fly certificates from a Spanish doctor (English wasn't good enough!) whilst Ryanair asked for nothing.

All the airlines make you sit in a window seat, so that in an emergency evacuation you don't impede any one else's exit. You are not allowed to sit in an emergency exit row at all.

Don't worry, you will be fine. If I can fly with a full leg cast, being stretchered on and off feeling like a right pillock, then a sling is nothing!

Susief
09-09-2012, 16:47
Susie, I (Sharon) have flown several times this year whilst incapacitated with a broken leg. I have flown with a full cast up to the thigh, a half cast up to the knee, and then a removable cast. I have flown with Thomas Cook, Monarch & Ryanair.

I can tell you that Ryanair are the easiest to fly with. Thomas Cook and Monarch wanted all kinds of information and doctors letters, fit to fly certificates from a Spanish doctor (English wasn't good enough!) whilst Ryanair asked for nothing.

All the airlines make you sit in a window seat, so that in an emergency evacuation you don't impede any one else's exit. You are not allowed to sit in an emergency exit row at all.

Don't worry, you will be fine. If I can fly with a full leg cast, being stretchered on and off feeling like a right pillock, then a sling is nothing!

Thanks Sharon, appreciate the info.
Our flights are booked for 7 Oct with RA but think could be too soon. Just checked how much to change and it's only £55 for the week after.
Do i need to tick special assistance box on booking?
Doc said he will give me a fitness to travel on my post op apt so that makes things easier!

Tom & Sharon
10-09-2012, 00:10
Thanks Sharon, appreciate the info.
Our flights are booked for 7 Oct with RA but think could be too soon. Just checked how much to change and it's only £55 for the week after.
Do i need to tick special assistance box on booking?
Doc said he will give me a fitness to travel on my post op apt so that makes things easier!

No Susie, you don't need to tick the special assistance box unless you actually need assistance. I had to have it, as I was unable to weight bear, so literally had to be lifted on and off the aircraft, but with a sling you can walk, you just might need someone to carry your hand luggage on and off, which if you are travelling together with someone isn't a problem.

Ryanair definitely don't ask for a certificate to fly like the other airlines, so don't worry.

I am flying Ryanair on Monday next week cos I have a hospital appointment in Warrington. It is the first time this year I haven't booked special assistance because I am much better, but I am still hobbling. I won't be able to carry my hand luggage up/down the steps, but I know the cabin crew will do it for me.

Andy0210
10-09-2012, 02:06
Thought you was a Medical Secretary until recently?

Surely this was a question you got asked on at least a weekly basis in your profession ???

Susief
10-09-2012, 07:54
Thought you was a Medical Secretary until recently?

Surely this was a question you got asked on at least a weekly basis in your profession ???

For your information and not that's it's any of your business! I haven't worked in the hospital for nearly 2 years! I was a med sec in Urology and mental health! The shoulder surgery is orthopaedics!
I am a project secretary on a construction site and have been for 18 months!

Susief
20-09-2012, 16:01
Just an update:
I have spoken to Ryan Air special assistance team and were very helpful.
I don't need a letter of fitness to travel. The lady has swapped my emergency exit seats to row 2 at no extra cost!
Very happy with service!

Sent from my iPhone

Malteser Monkey
20-09-2012, 16:23
Just an update:
I have spoken to Ryan Air special assistance team and were very helpful.
I don't need a letter of fitness to travel. The lady has swapped my emergency exit seats to row 2 at no extra cost!
Very happy with service!

Sent from my iPhone

Good news hun !

Susief
30-09-2012, 18:21
Had op on shoulder on Friday.
Trip could be in jeopardy as have stitches and they need to come out 10-14 days after op! Got apt with Consultant tomorrow night so have to wait and see what he says.
May have to make a phone call to RA and make it a week later.
Does anybody know if its £30 to change dates and cost of extra flight?

warbey
30-09-2012, 19:24
Had op on shoulder on Friday.
Trip could be in jeopardy as have stitches and they need to come out 10-14 days after op! Got apt with Consultant tomorrow night so have to wait and see what he says.
May have to make a phone call to RA and make it a week later.
Does anybody know if its £30 to change dates and cost of extra flight?

Either delay stitches out, or D.I.Y.

Susief
30-09-2012, 20:02
Either delay stitches out, or D.I.Y.

Haha don't think DIY would be good idea.
Was planning on going for a month?
Could always make an appointment to see Dr Whittaker in Los Cris?

marbro8
30-09-2012, 20:16
Haha don't think DIY would be good idea.
Was planning on going for a month?
Could always make an appointment to see Dr Whittaker in Los Cris?good idea it would probably only cost you 50 euros:wink:

Susief
30-09-2012, 20:20
good idea it would probably only cost you 50 euros:wink:

Yes that's what I thought! 50 euros well spent!

marbro8
30-09-2012, 20:35
Yes that's what I thought! 50 euros well spent!well when you look at it, it would probably cost you that to change the flights, then you have got all the hassle that goes with it and the delay of your hols, i know what i would rather do:wink:

Susief
30-09-2012, 20:49
well when you look at it, it would probably cost you that to change the flights, then you have got all the hassle that goes with it and the delay of your hols, i know what i would rather do:wink:

Haha you've talked me into it!
If cant get them done before I am due to go will tell Consultant Marbro said to have them out in Tenerife! Haha

marbro8
30-09-2012, 20:55
Haha you've talked me into it!
If cant get them done before I am due to go will tell Consultant Marbro said to have them out in Tenerife! Hahawell i have used this line before " dont worry i am a doctor":crylaughing:

warbey
30-09-2012, 21:01
All You really need is a competent Nurse usually..a pair of pliers and some Vodka to splash on as antiseptic..

and a Penknife or razorblade..

Honest I am Not a Doctor of any description....lol

Susief
30-09-2012, 22:09
All You really need is a competent Nurse usually..a pair of pliers and some Vodka to splash on as antiseptic..

and a Penknife or razorblade..

Honest I am Not a Doctor of any description....lol

Warbey may get Marbro to do it! Haha with bottle vodka in one hand.
Had key hole surgery so only 2 stitches in 3 places!

marbro8
30-09-2012, 22:14
Warbey may get Marbro to do it! Haha with bottle vodka in one hand.
Had key hole surgery so only 2 stitches in 3 places! lol it would be me that needed the vodka to keep a steady hand:laugh:

Susief
30-09-2012, 22:39
lol it would be me that needed the vodka to keep a steady hand:laugh:

You'd have to knock me out too! Bit squeamish!

marbro8
30-09-2012, 22:50
You'd have to knock me out too! Bit squeamish!you will be fine susie, they use a scalpel to cut the stitch then use surgical tweezers to pull them through:wink:, they have progressed from the razor and pliers that warby described:cheeky:

Susief
01-10-2012, 08:56
you will be fine susie, they use a scalpel to cut the stitch then use surgical tweezers to pull them through:wink:, they have progressed from the razor and pliers that warby described:cheeky:

I'm sure I'll get it sorted tonight at Consultant appointment. Got to go with his advice! Although he did say he thought a month in Tenerife was good therapy!
I am in BUPA so they may be able to arrange something international.

euroteide
01-10-2012, 09:13
You can fly, just make sure you have your medical reports and X-rays to avoid any problems

LUCKY
01-10-2012, 09:39
Trust me i am a Doctor :flatcap::flatcap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMHX1qr6NVY

marbro8
01-10-2012, 19:22
i'm sure i'll get it sorted tonight at consultant appointment. Got to go with his advice! Although he did say he thought a month in tenerife was good therapy!
I am in bupa so they may be able to arrange something international.you are in bupa:tiphat:, well why are you worried? they will fly a nurse out to you and put you both up at the sir anthony for a week:eyebrows:

warbey
01-10-2012, 19:32
I'm sure I'll get it sorted tonight at Consultant appointment. Got to go with his advice! Although he did say he thought a month in Tenerife was good therapy!
I am in BUPA so they may be able to arrange something international.

They can do three Holes in My Shoulder Area for a Month in Tenerife.

Dont forget to bring the Vodka though.......ha..ha..:hi::hi:.

P.S. I surmised it would be Keyhole, as I have a Relative who had a similar procedure not too long ago.

Glad You are O.K. too!

Susief
01-10-2012, 20:27
They can do three Holes in My Shoulder Area for a Month in Tenerife.

Dont forget to bring the Vodka though.......ha..ha..:hi::hi:.

P.S. I surmised it would be Keyhole, as I have a Relative who had a similar procedure not too long ago.

Glad You are O.K. too!

Thank you Warbey.
Been to Consultant tonight and he happy with op and my recovery. Had dressings changed tonight on stitches and they are repairing nicely! Going back Friday to possibly have them out. If not he will arrange for me to have them out in Tenerife.
Am on sunbed/chair only! Not allowed to do anything else! Suits me!
So off we toddle Sunday night! Can't wait.

warbey
02-10-2012, 18:51
Thank you Warbey.
Been to Consultant tonight and he happy with op and my recovery. Had dressings changed tonight on stitches and they are repairing nicely! Going back Friday to possibly have them out. If not he will arrange for me to have them out in Tenerife.
Am on sunbed/chair only! Not allowed to do anything else! Suits me!
So off we toddle Sunday night! Can't wait.

And leave all this lovely rain behind.........:hi::hi:

Susief
02-10-2012, 19:15
And leave all this lovely rain behind.........:hi::hi:

Definitely awful here today! Not stopped!

warbey
02-10-2012, 19:19
Definitely awful here today! Not stopped!

AQbout 60 miles South and same here. We had a dry spell around 3 but it didnt last long.

One consolation, I havent cleaned the Car.

Enjoy a great Time, We always do.

Susief
02-10-2012, 19:33
AQbout 60 miles South and same here. We had a dry spell around 3 but it didnt last long.

One consolation, I havent cleaned the Car.

Enjoy a great Time, We always do.

I will Warbey, I'll raise a glass of juice to you!