PDA

View Full Version : Please help - parents stung by a possible hoax let via this forum

daddysgirl
09-09-2012, 22:20
Dear all,

Sorry to post this in the general chat, but I did not find a better place for this.

I'm in need of all your help as my parents found a holiday let via a member of this forum, agreed on a price and sent him a deposit (€200) months ago. Due to various issues this let did not work out, mainly due to the person letting the property pulling out but also my parents circumstances back home. This was weeks ago and my parents have not received their deposit back.

I am not here to name and shame as the circumstance why the person has not returned the money might be legit, but I am concerned enough because it's taken weeks with very little communication from this man that I want to ask for you help how to go about this.

I know the sum is small, but it is a lot to my retired parents and if anyone would like to help I'd greatly appreciate your support as you might know this man or could advise what (if any) legal route we could take to get the money back.

Thank you so much for your advice in advance! If you want to get more details please send me a private message.

CIM
09-09-2012, 23:14
Is the person they paid in the UK or based here?
Are they the property owner or an agent acting on their behalf?
Which complex was the property on that your parents were going to be renting on? (This is an important one...!)

daddysgirl
09-09-2012, 23:21
Is the person they paid in the UK or based here?
Are they the property owner or an agent acting on their behalf?
Which complex was the property on that your parents were going to be renting on? (This is an important one...!)

Thanks for a quick reply!

The person says they are based both in Tenerife and UK (not sure which is more permanent) and they supposedly own the property.
It's in Mareverde, Playa de las Americas. I have a website link as well if you need it.

timmylish
09-09-2012, 23:24
I have to say that I find the lack of clarity on what "circumstances" changed as, after all, should it come out that the owner/Agent was unable to let the week due to the time , or other, factor then I would have to challenge the request for return of deposit. After all is that not what a deposit is for?

daddysgirl
09-09-2012, 23:28
I have to say that I find the lack of clarity on what "circumstances" changed as, after all, should it come out that the owner/Agent was unable to let the week due to the time , or other, factor then I would have to challenge the request for return of deposit. After all is that not what a deposit is for?

The owner cancelled the let by explaining the reasons being around difficulties with buy-to-let-owners in Tenerife and that the rules had recently changed for the property he owned in this complex to let to third parties.

Legit or not for a reason, he agreed to pay the deposit back, but my parents have not heard much from him since.

CIM
09-09-2012, 23:45
Okay well this should be pretty easy if he is actually the owner.
It is illegal for him to rent out his apartment without using the on site reception - so he cannot do it privately (legally.) This has actually been the case for the last 17 odd years - it is not new, it is only acknowledgement and awareness of the law due to a crackdown by the authorities very recently that has caused all of the panic.
So if he is the owner it would be rather foolish of him to withhold your money for a booking that he has cancelled given that a word to the authorities along with proof of the booking of an illegal apartment may well land him up to his neck in hot water and possibly a hefty fine!
So two things to do - First - check that this is actually his apartment and he is the owner - feel free PM me and I´ll have a look.
Secondly - make sure your parents book somewhere nice next time they want to come here on holiday! Mareverde? I wouldn't have my family in there, nice area, but not a great complex.