PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to Monarch airlines?

Tom & Sharon
11-09-2012, 23:33
A friend of ours has been waiting all day at Manchester airport to fly here today. It was originally scheduled for 07.55 am, and it hasn't yet left (23.19 as I write) ! His parents are waiting at this end to catch the return flight, which was scheduled for 1.30 pm.

It is only a few weeks since a Monarch flight from here to Birmingham waited for 4 days to leave. What is going on?

I wouldn't mind if Monarch were cheap, but they are generally the most expensive.

My friend says it has been a day of mis-information, and rude disinterested staff. Not only that, but there was a 2nd Monarch flight to Tenerife at 14.55, and that left on time around them. How upsetting is that? Surely from a customer satisfaction point of view, that aircraft should have been used for the earlier flight, thus delaying the 2nd flight, but both of them equally. However, this would alter their statistics, showing as 2 delayed flights instead of one, so bugger the passengers, as long as the statistics are better!

At the earliest now, as it's showing final boarding (if you can believe it!) our friend will get here at 4am, when he should have been here for lunch. His parents will land home on the return flight then at 9.30am at the earliest, when they should have been home at 6pm.

Monarch should learn they can't go around pissing people off like that. In one day, that's 720 passengers who probably won't fly Monarch again. It will certainly make me think twice before ever booking them again.

I think it's bye bye Monarch airlines.

duquessa
11-09-2012, 23:38
A friend of ours has been waiting all day at Manchester airport to fly here today. It was originally scheduled for 07.55 am, and it hasn't yet left (23.19 as I write) ! His parents are waiting at this end to catch the return flight, which was scheduled for 1.30 pm.

It is only a few weeks since a Monarch flight from here to Birmingham waited for 4 days to leave. What is going on?

I wouldn't mind if Monarch were cheap, but they are generally the most expensive.

My friend says it has been a day of mis-information, and rude disinterested staff. Not only that, but there was a 2nd Monarch flight to Tenerife at 14.55, and that left on time around them. How upsetting is that? Surely from a customer satisfaction point of view, that aircraft should have been used for the earlier flight, thus delaying the 2nd flight, but both of them equally. However, this would alter their statistics, showing as 2 delayed flights instead of one, so bugger the passengers, as long as the statistics are better!

At the earliest now, as it's showing final boarding (if you can believe it!) our friend will get here at 4am, when he should have been here for lunch. His parents will land home on the return flight then at 9.30am at the earliest, when they should have been home at 6pm.

Monarch should learn they can't go around pissing people off like that. In one day, that's 720 passengers who probably won't fly Monarch again. It will certainly make me think twice before ever booking them again.

I hope not as they fly most days. We are due to fly on the 27th never had any trouble with them in 7 years.Hope :eyebrows:it dosent start now.

slodgedad
11-09-2012, 23:49

After living here for a long time I have used Monarch once. Never again.

(My personal opininion and does not reflect my status on the Forum) e.

tomo1340
12-09-2012, 00:04
We flew with them last month. They were spot on getting the TFS but the inbound flight to take us home was delayed.

Most of our party are going back next month, they will be taking the early Tuesday flight. I think I will keep an eye on flights for them.

madness1
12-09-2012, 00:05
Been hearing a lot of negative reports about monach recently but my biggest bugbear is the leg room it is the worst of all the airlines flying to Tenerife.

tomo1340
12-09-2012, 00:07
I'm quite tall and it doesn't bother me, then again some of the aircraft I've flown in have been not much fun.

karinagal
12-09-2012, 00:13
We were delayed overnight in Manchester on our way to Tenerife. It royally p*ssed us off and we have vowed never to fly with them again..

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Tom & Sharon
12-09-2012, 00:18
His flight's been saying "Final boarding" now for over an hour, and I haven't had a text either.

I don't think it's going to make it. I wonder what's gong on at TFS with the return flight?

AL JAY
12-09-2012, 00:31
Just had a look on flightradar24 a Monarch flight zb564 has just taken off enroute to TFS from Manchester! Will add the link in a minute!

http://www.flightradar24.com/

just click on the plane for info.

Unusual route at the minute,it flew over North Liverpool/Bangor North Wales and is currently south of Dublin over Wexford!

jack oakley
12-09-2012, 02:50
Monarch is essentialy a charter airline, in 2003 they called themselves a scheduled airline when they started their 'ZB' service. It was an excellent service at the outset but like most commodities it eroded very quickly and is now worse than any of the so called 'budget airlines'. At least with Ryan Air, Jet 2,and Easy Jet you expect to get 'shafted' they are what they are and that is glorified cattle wagons but it looks increasingly like they are all in collaberation including Monarch in Hyking prices and creating a flying monopoly. The british government are not blameless in their **** Turpin flight taxes which have added a hidden £20-00 to every seat but Monarch have cut 2 flights a week this summer to Tenerife and along with the other cowboys have increased their prices by an unwarrantied 80%, add on the abhorrant school holiday price hykes and the end result is less people can now afford to fly and it's killing the island. Thomas Cook, Thomson, and First Choice are all German owned and look to the 'Britts' as second class citizens, their aircraft have totaly different seating configuerations and cram in 20 more passengers on their british based flights, i am surprised they havn't yet started to separate males from females on embarkation!!!. The Spanish government now need to stick up 2 fingers to the Britts and the Germans and insist that more Spanish airlines are allowed to fly to and from the U.K. and Germany, we are supposed to be living in a free and democratic trading society not a communistic monopoly. The only way forward is to boycott Monarch and and every other rip-off airline for a few months and they'le soon learn. Jack. O

Dan747
12-09-2012, 07:41
I've traveled with Monarch a lot and have never really had any major issues, the odd delay here and there but only by an hour or so and that's to be expected with all airlines. I would generally chose Monarch over easyjet and the other 'low-costs'. As with everything in air travel it's luck of the draw, millions of people travel without a problem every year, but we generally only hear about the bad stuff when somebody gets a long delay.

Monarch is essentialy a charter airline, in 2003 they called themselves a scheduled airline when they started their 'ZB' service. It was an excellent service at the outset but like most commodities it eroded very quickly and is now worse than any of the so called 'budget airlines'. At least with Ryan Air, Jet 2,and Easy Jet you expect to get 'shafted' they are what they are and that is glorified cattle wagons but it looks increasingly like they are all in collaberation including Monarch in Hyking prices and creating a flying monopoly. The british government are not blameless in their **** Turpin flight taxes which have added a hidden £20-00 to every seat but Monarch have cut 2 flights a week this summer to Tenerife and along with the other cowboys have increased their prices by an unwarrantied 80%, add on the abhorrant school holiday price hykes and the end result is less people can now afford to fly and it's killing the island. Thomas Cook, Thomson, and First Choice are all German owned and look to the 'Britts' as second class citizens, their aircraft have totaly different seating configuerations and cram in 20 more passengers on their british based flights, i am surprised they havn't yet started to separate males from females on embarkation!!!. The Spanish government now need to stick up 2 fingers to the Britts and the Germans and insist that more Spanish airlines are allowed to fly to and from the U.K. and Germany, we are supposed to be living in a free and democratic trading society not a communistic monopoly. The only way forward is to boycott Monarch and and every other rip-off airline for a few months and they'le soon learn. Jack. O

There is nothing stopping Spanish airlines flying into Britain or Germany if they want too, many did prior to the recession but a lot went bankrupt, aka Futura, LTE etc.

It's not just the Government taxes which are driving the prices up, don't forget fuel is shooting up again too, the price of petrol is nearing it's all time high, when an aircraft burns through 3 tonnes of fuel per hour, it makes a massive difference to the operational costs. Even Micky O'Leary admitted the other year that it would not be possible to keep prices so low indefinitely and even Ryanair are now having to charge more.

People may not like it, but flying nearly 2,000 miles each-way for less than a hundred quid wasn't sustainable, the cheap times are over and it's going to cost more to fly now.

cheery
12-09-2012, 08:30
One of the reasons I chose Easyjet to fly over next month was because of some of the Monarch comments. Ryan Air seem to be a law unto themselves as well as their flights being at ridiculous times. We flew with Easyjet last time we came and found them to be very good so that was the clincher for me. That and the fact that the flight times are excellent.

casabonny
12-09-2012, 09:11
Oh oh, we always use Monarch and we hoping for a trip back to Uk in the near future but having seen and heard so many negative comments will be thinking again about using them.I will be watching this thread with great interest.

pjaallan
12-09-2012, 10:15
We flew with Monarch for the first time at the end of June and back the end of July from Gatwick to Tenerife. We had no problems at all and it was the cheapest at the time we booked via Skyscanner, which I must admit was a surprise as they are normally more expensive than other airlines.

I know one of the Monarch pilots and his wife told me they were having some technical problems at Manchester with the 757 fleet. He was flown from Gatwick to Manchester to cover the delayed flights as the original crew were over hours.

jack oakley
12-09-2012, 10:22
I've traveled with Monarch a lot and have never really had any major issues, the odd delay here and there but only by an hour or so and that's to be expected with all airlines. I would generally chose Monarch over easyjet and the other 'low-costs'. As with everything in air travel it's luck of the draw, millions of people travel without a problem every year, but we generally only hear about the bad stuff when somebody gets a long delay.

There is nothing stopping Spanish airlines flying into Britain or Germany if they want too, many did prior to the recession but a lot went bankrupt, aka Futura, LTE etc.

It's not just the Government taxes which are driving the prices up, don't forget fuel is shooting up again too, the price of petrol is nearing it's all time high, when an aircraft burns through 3 tonnes of fuel per hour, it makes a massive difference to the operational costs. Even Micky O'Leary admitted the other year that it would not be possible to keep prices so low indefinitely and even Ryanair are now having to charge more.

People may not like it, but flying nearly 2,000 miles each-way for less than a hundred quid wasn't sustainable, the cheap times are over and it's going to cost more to fly now.

I agree with you regarding the delays, Monarch have had a good history on that front, my 'beef' with Monarch is they are purporting to be something they are not and that is a 'scheduled' airline. They are just the same as the other 'cattle wagons', their booking proccess is vastly misleading and their advertised prices end up being 50% more on completion. They are now experiencing more delays because of their greedy decision to charge £40-00 for for suitcases and on-line self check-in, the majority of passengers now turn up with bits of folded up printed paper with faulty bar security codes creating backlogs at the departure gate all carrying so called 'cabin cases' that there simply is not enough room in the overhead storage bins for and passengers spend precious departure time clogging up the ailes trying to find space for them consiquently it takes twice as long to load, this has been self inflicted and spurred on by greed. You are also right in stating that the days of 'cheap' air travel are over but that is no consolation to the thousands of people who own homes here and can't afford to get down to use them, combine that with the purge on so-called illegal letting and it's little wonder the island is suffering. The future is indeed bleak. Jack.O

Tom & Sharon
12-09-2012, 10:27
Well my friend landed here just before 5am this morning, that's after being at Manchester since 6am yesterday morning for his supposed 7.55am flight.

His parents landed back in Manchester 5 mins ago at 10.20 am, when they should have landed at 17.40 yesterday. His dad has a bad heart as well!

It's really not good enough, and will definitely put me off Monarch, although 9 times out of 10 we fly Ryanair anyway. They're normally early!

TOTO 99
12-09-2012, 13:34
I've just got home after being stuck on the Monarch flight......

17 hour delay in total. Not the best experience I've ever had but we're back in one piece. Since leaving the apartment yesterday at 11:am I've been on 3 coaches and been in 2 hotels..lol
As always it's getting information that was the biggest problem but I guess finding coaches, food, hotels etc for nearly 300 people isn't straight forward (especially at the speed things move in Tenerife).

If I had one complaint it would be about the drama queens that think it's ok to abuse airport staff, coach drivers, hotel waiters, whilst all this is going on as if it's going to make any difference to the situation. It wasn't Monarch's finest hour but they did manage to get us plenty of food, a shower and a bed for a couple of hours.

Not an experience I'll be in a rush to repeat but we're back safe and sound. As for the question about Monarch, I have to say I'm hearing and seeing more and more delay problems so perhaps something is going wrong. Problem is, no airline can guarantee 100% delay free trips so who do you choose instead?....................I'm off for a sleep now....zzzzz

slodgedad
12-09-2012, 18:16
Monarch, who were once very much recommended, appear to have sat on their laurels and let the others take over.

Instead of cashing in on the bad publicity about others they sat back and waited.

I ,for one, never even visit their site any more.

(My personal opininion and does not reflect my status on the Forum)

warbey
12-09-2012, 20:52
The Four Day delay mentioned earlier I understand was caused by

a Door locking problem to a Plane substituting for a Monarch Flight.

I have wondered what caused Them to hire Someone else's Plane to start with.?

Dan747
12-09-2012, 21:10
I agree with you regarding the delays, Monarch have had a good history on that front, my 'beef' with Monarch is they are purporting to be something they are not and that is a 'scheduled' airline. They are just the same as the other 'cattle wagons', their booking proccess is vastly misleading and their advertised prices end up being 50% more on completion. They are now experiencing more delays because of their greedy decision to charge £40-00 for for suitcases and on-line self check-in, the majority of passengers now turn up with bits of folded up printed paper with faulty bar security codes creating backlogs at the departure gate all carrying so called 'cabin cases' that there simply is not enough room in the overhead storage bins for and passengers spend precious departure time clogging up the ailes trying to find space for them consiquently it takes twice as long to load, this has been self inflicted and spurred on by greed. You are also right in stating that the days of 'cheap' air travel are over but that is no consolation to the thousands of people who own homes here and can't afford to get down to use them, combine that with the purge on so-called illegal letting and it's little wonder the island is suffering. The future is indeed bleak. Jack.O

Couldn't agree more on that front, when Monarch originally launched their 'ZB' scheduled service, I found them to be really good and would happily pay extra to travel with them given they included a luggage allowance and complimentary food and drinks, their service was top notch and delays rare.

They then decided to change to the 'low-cost' model and merged a lot of their 'charter' flights into the 'ZB' brand, but it hasn't really worked out very well, the delays which used to hit their charter flights are now hitting the previously excellent ZB flights, the remaining few 757s need to be replaced asap, as do the A300's as they cause the majority of issues. They also seem to have an identity crisis thinking they are still offering the quality 'ZB' service which people will be prepared to pay extra for, but in reality are not offering anything better than the other 'cattle wagons'.

The market is now lacking an airline that actually offers a service like Monarch Scheduled used too, quality product with a baggage allowance included and not finding hidden fees jumping out all over the place, I would choose an airline that offered that everytime, but I doubt Monarch will go back to that model unless another carrier makes the change first as they seem to like to follow rather than lead these days.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The Four Day delay mentioned earlier I understand was caused by

a Door locking problem to a Plane substituting for a Monarch Flight.

I have wondered what caused Them to hire Someone else's Plane to start with.?

Monarch currently have several aircraft leased from other operators, they do this over the summer months to cater for extra flights they want to run, they may also 'charter' in aircraft from other airlines when theirs go in for maintenance or they take a decision to do so on a seriously delayed flight.

Monarch are not the only operator to do this, it happens on a regular basis. Even Ryanair have been known to charter aircraft from other airlines in the past to fill in for their own, that was generally before Micky O'Leary bought more aircraft than he knows what to do with mind!

minimadmandy
13-09-2012, 08:24
We have flown 4 times last year and the year before with Monarch to Tenerife and never had any major issues. That's not to say it might not happen in the future as planes do have technical issues and can be delayed for various reasons. Also I got stranded at gran Canaria airport 2 years ago due to airport 24 hour strike and Monarch were the only Briish Airline to put guests up in a hotel. Thomson, easy Jet etc all left their passengers to sleep at the airport. Price wise out of Thomson, Thomas Cook, Monarch and Easyjet in the school holidays Monarch is always the cheapest from Gatwick. I'm just glad Iberia don't fly from the Uk direct to Tenerife as I pity the poor person who chooses to fly with them, they are the worst airline I have ever flown with and would now never use again.

golf birdie
13-09-2012, 10:09
in this day and age delays like this should never happen. They should of sourced another aircraft to carry theses people. The reason they never is down to costs. If all on this airline put claims in for their 400 euros which they would be entitled to, Monarch would not have this happen again. Disgrace.

jack oakley
13-09-2012, 11:24
We have flown 4 times last year and the year before with Monarch to Tenerife and never had any major issues. That's not to say it might not happen in the future as planes do have technical issues and can be delayed for various reasons. Also I got stranded at gran Canaria airport 2 years ago due to airport 24 hour strike and Monarch were the only Briish Airline to put guests up in a hotel. Thomson, easy Jet etc all left their passengers to sleep at the airport. Price wise out of Thomson, Thomas Cook, Monarch and Easyjet in the school holidays Monarch is always the cheapest from Gatwick. I'm just glad Iberia don't fly from the Uk direct to Tenerife as I pity the poor person who chooses to fly with them, they are the worst airline I have ever flown with and would now never use again.

As stated in my previous post Monarch have had a good timekeeping record, i am a 'vantage card' holder due to the amount of flights i make and because this card entitles me to extra legroom seating, fast-track security, and preferencial check-in i will use them until my card expires. The problem with Monarch seams to be with their new operations management, the actual ground staff, cabin and flight crew are excellent, they are highly proffessional and courtious as oposed to some 'wallies' i have encountered on the only 2 Easy Jet flights i had the misfortune to fly on. My next two flights are with Monarch but i will be seriously considering other options next year unless they regain the identity they were once renowned for, the only way they will do that is get shut of the management clowns they head-hunted from Easy Jet and 'Micky monkeys' set-up. Jack.O

karinagal
13-09-2012, 14:27
in this day and age delays like this should never happen. They should of sourced another aircraft to carry theses people. The reason they never is down to costs. If all on this airline put claims in for their 400 euros which they would be entitled to, Monarch would not have this happen again. Disgrace.

All claims for Denied Boarding delays or cancellations are on hold until the result of an appeal by the airlines against the european law re this compensation is published - its expected sometime this month I believe....

Leam_Lin
13-09-2012, 14:38
According to birmingham airport departures web site, our friends left 3 minutes early on the monarch flight to tenerife today.
Unfortunately the cyprus & majorca flights around the same time are both delayed.

duquessa
24-09-2012, 10:25
thankfully monarch are not using the eastern european carrier anymore.

Red Devil
24-09-2012, 12:18
Couldn't agree more on that front, when Monarch originally launched their 'ZB' scheduled service, I found them to be really good and would happily pay extra to travel with them given they included a luggage allowance and complimentary food and drinks, their service was top notch and delays rare.

They then decided to change to the 'low-cost' model and merged a lot of their 'charter' flights into the 'ZB' brand, but it hasn't really worked out very well, the delays which used to hit their charter flights are now hitting the previously excellent ZB flights, the remaining few 757s need to be replaced asap, as do the A300's as they cause the majority of issues. They also seem to have an identity crisis thinking they are still offering the quality 'ZB' service which people will be prepared to pay extra for, but in reality are not offering anything better than the other 'cattle wagons'.

The market is now lacking an airline that actually offers a service like Monarch Scheduled used too, quality product with a baggage allowance included and not finding hidden fees jumping out all over the place, I would choose an airline that offered that everytime, but I doubt Monarch will go back to that model unless another carrier makes the change first as they seem to like to follow rather than lead these days.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Monarch currently have several aircraft leased from other operators, they do this over the summer months to cater for extra flights they want to run, they may also 'charter' in aircraft from other airlines when theirs go in for maintenance or they take a decision to do so on a seriously delayed flight.

Monarch are not the only operator to do this, it happens on a regular basis. Even Ryanair have been known to charter aircraft from other airlines in the past to fill in for their own, that was generally before Micky O'Leary bought more aircraft than he knows what to do with mind!

We used to always use the BA flights from Manchester/Tenerife and, along with Monarch they were both brilliant, free newspaper and free drinks with BA, then BA withdrew their route from Manchester and allowed Easyjet to jump in and use their slot instead. Since the competition from BA stopped Monarch stopped trying also and now they are just bog standard like the rest.
There is a definite call for an airline to provide a better, more relaxed service.

Balcony
24-09-2012, 18:24
We preferred Monarch purely as they flew from the airport closest to us and flight times suited us perfectly. Largely we have now switched to Easyjet from Gatwick.

More recently I did fly with Monarch and to be honest I could have been on any carrier's plane. There's nothing to mark it out from the others. Service on board was much the same as Easyjet and, of course, prices charged on board are quite high for what it is. But you do get your full load of lardy food! Yuck.

We decided to book with Monarch for a Christmas period flight and 'ouch' did the fare hurt.

The last few days we were looking at prices April-May time and they were around £200 each, but you really had to avoid Bank and school holidays dates.

Flyers to Tenerife and something of a captive audience, as I see it, and all the airlines are taking advantage - even though I can agree, to a point, that trading conditions are tough....but thats the same for all business sectors.

Everyone has seen the drop in numbers, but how long before more and more people decide against Tenerife? It's not a Brit-German thing it's economics. I am no lover of the pile it high sell 'em cheap holidays that was once Tenerife. I do want to see much higher standards, but I don't want to be sitting in some bar all alone either!

Monarch seems, to me, to be one of the vulnerable airlines. I hope I'm wrong.

Dan747
24-09-2012, 19:17
I think that's were Monarch have gone wrong, Monarch used to have a reputation for being a more 'upmarket' airline, especially the Crown Service which then turned into 'Monarch Scheduled', lots of people would pay extra to travel with Monarch rather than the lower end airlines with the so called 'tracky brigade' such as Easyjet and Ryanair, even more so on longer routes such as Tenerife.

Sadly since Monarch adopted the low-cost model they have just become like any other, their prices on the whole don't seem to have reduced since they actually provided a better service either, which is what is now causing people to just go with the cheapest carrier rather than previously choosing Monarch for the service and perceived quality of the brand. This could be Monarch's undoing as I've noticed in recent years their financials are not as good as they used to be.

Margaretta
24-09-2012, 19:17
GRUMPS

Positives are that we have booked all seats on Easyjet and Monarch for this year and next. I thought that would mean that hubby wouldn't charge forward to get the seats we wanted on the plane. He'll still charge forward though: he likes to have the hand luggage directly overhead not half-way down the plane. That can be awkward when you are disembarking and your hand luggage is in the wrong direction.. If I'm alone I'm always frightened of dropping it on someone's head!

We never bother about food on the plane....it's only four hours and we either eat in the airport or, if too early in the morning, I put rolls (and treats) in the hand luggage. We were so spoilt with BA...that memory is like luxury in comparison to the stress we experience now.

I think 'Speedy Boarding' is going? As people line up why can't there be simple lollipops on stands indicating where different types of boarders should line up and save all that pushing? Also, when the planes have front and back doors why does everyone have to exit by the same door? Much slower.

Finally, why can't the Captain state that seats should not be pushed back even when the plane is in the air? Not pleasant having your drink suddenly spilt into your lap and dangerous if it is hot! This is of course acceptable overnight after service but quite unnecessary by day on short-haul flights.
I know they are 'cheap flights' but the hundred mile walks at each end of the flights is becoming...too long. What about a little train at Gatwick and Tenerife Sur??

Grumps over. Can't wait to get on a plane to Tenerife Sur!

dipper
24-09-2012, 19:31

TOTO 99
24-09-2012, 20:55
Dipper, is that the Samaritans phone number for Margaretta?....:laugh:

dipper
25-09-2012, 09:48
customer services manager

David29971
25-09-2012, 16:14
You don't happen to have the number for Thomson airways customer services manager do you?
I often need it but he/she is even more protected than Her Majesty!

dipper
25-09-2012, 16:25
You don't happen to have the number for Thomson airways customer services manager do you?
I often need it but he/she is even more protected than Her Majesty!

fraid not sorry

catsmad
26-02-2013, 18:29
I was delayed over 16 hours at tenerife sur in september, I rang customer services when I arrived in uk and was told they had ordered 8 new aircraft and had only received 2 and that was why their schedules were in disarray. I claimed compensation and have just received an e.mail refusing my claim, I have now contacted the CAA and I have also sent an e.mail to Ian Rawlinson executive chairman of Monarch whether I get a responce remains to be seen but it has made me feel a lot better.

caroll72
26-02-2013, 18:45
Reading through the monarch forums on money supermarket it seems that monarch either ignore people, or they refuse the claims.
They seem to be using the excuse of 'extraordinary circumstances' as their get out clause.

Our delay was 27 hours & iv'e also put in a claim & had no response as yet.
It's shocking for a company as big as monarch to ignore or refuse peoples claims.
I will pursue it as far as i have to as it's time these bully boys paid up.

dipper
26-02-2013, 19:38
Customer services manager direct line 01582733733

marbro8
26-02-2013, 20:28
we stopped using them as from october last year, we paid for certain seats and they changed the plane without informing us??? so when we boarded we where sitting nowhere near to where we had booked!!!, we complained on board and about 3-4 weeks later we got a refund for the seats for the journey there and back:lol: and we hadn't contacted them again because we thought it would be a waste of time?, maybe as i was a member and had flown with them at least 12 times before, they thought it wouldn't be very good peeing me off? well it's to late now because we have got cheaper flights and better times with ryanair for may and october, and as long as they don't pee me off (or crash due to lack of fuel:lol:) then we will continue to fly with them:D

Tom & Sharon
27-02-2013, 01:33
I don't know where they come from with their flight prices either.

Yesterday I was looking for a flight back to Tenerife next week fom Manchester. Ryanair (always/mostly) on time was £54.99. Monarch was £484.

How do they justify that, and who the F would pay it?

BoPeep
27-02-2013, 08:06
I quite agree, for years people here have told me they fly Monarch as if they are the best thing since sliced bread and all I can see is they are more expensive, their delay stats are terrible, their seats are cramped and their planes are ancient.
Ryanair are nearly always on time, new efficient planes, wider amount of knee room and with the price so low you can book a seat and still be cheaper than Monarch and dont have to queue!

Rodders
27-02-2013, 09:36
GRUMPS

Positives are that we have booked all seats on Easyjet and Monarch for this year and next. I thought that would mean that hubby wouldn't charge forward to get the seats we wanted on the plane. He'll still charge forward though: he likes to have the hand luggage directly overhead not half-way down the plane. That can be awkward when you are disembarking and your hand luggage is in the wrong direction.. If I'm alone I'm always frightened of dropping it on someone's head!

We never bother about food on the plane....it's only four hours and we either eat in the airport or, if too early in the morning, I put rolls (and treats) in the hand luggage. We were so spoilt with BA...that memory is like luxury in comparison to the stress we experience now.

I think 'Speedy Boarding' is going? As people line up why can't there be simple lollipops on stands indicating where different types of boarders should line up and save all that pushing? Also, when the planes have front and back doors why does everyone have to exit by the same door? Much slower.

Finally, why can't the Captain state that seats should not be pushed back even when the plane is in the air? Not pleasant having your drink suddenly spilt into your lap and dangerous if it is hot! This is of course acceptable overnight after service but quite unnecessary by day on short-haul flights.
I know they are 'cheap flights' but the hundred mile walks at each end of the flights is becoming...too long. What about a little train at Gatwick and Tenerife Sur??

Grumps over. Can't wait to get on a plane to Tenerife Sur!

British Airways have started flying to TFS direct from Gatwick again from April this year. My family and I (2 adults 2 children) flying in July returning August including hold luggae, hand luggage free drinks and food on board for the grand total of £650. Happy days.

BoPeep
27-02-2013, 09:43
Nice one Rodders! Just the ticket!

Wish we lived near Gatwick if those prices continue!

Rodders
27-02-2013, 09:46
Nice one Rodders! Just the ticket!

Wish we lived near Gatwick if those prices continue!

Bo Peep,

We were lucky with the price as we booked our flights back in Novemeber last year. I think BA are now quoting £1800 for the same flights.

The early bird catches the worm?

catsmad
28-02-2013, 10:46
I am in the same frame of mind as carol172 I am going to pursue this as far as I can. I have started by e.mailing all relevant information to the customer complaints team at the CAA, I have also sent an e.mail for the personal attention of Ian Rawlings who is the executive chairman of Monarch ( I suggest all dissatisfied customers of Monarch do this) Incidently I am a vantage club member and have been for years so this does not make any difference Monarch do not care any more all they are interested in is your money.

TOTO 99
28-02-2013, 10:59
When we had an 18 hour delay last year I challenged Monarch regarding the European law which was still a test case at the time.

They responded with a voucher for £75 per person discount off our next flight which I haven't used yet because of previously booked flights with other airlines.

I was happy with the outcome. Bearing in mind the value of the original flight was approx £130. They fed and watered us and got us a hotel so we could rest and freshen up. It was a pain but it wasn't the end of the world.

Flight costs are already rising noticably. If these claims ever get paid out the flights will become too expensive.