PDA

View Full Version : Mercadona are selling bad fruit and veggies!

henry
12-09-2012, 19:54
i sure everyone shops at macadona!! but has anyone else came across bad fruit that they sell?

2 weeks ago i got sweet potato for my mom. at las chafias. it look good but when my mom cut into 2 of them it rotten. well not bad 5 euros down the trash it was a kilo of it. last week at gran sur marcadona i got some banana tomatos kiwi with my dad. all looks good. sure enougn came home and the banana inside was mushy. kiwi look good but took a bite off two and i had to spit it out very sour inside. and yesterday went to marcadona by camison and head of lettues. great but spoke to soon after 2 days later the lettues was turning brown. not bad huh allmost 20 euros in fruit and veggies throw in the trash. no wondor they doing great it charge too much for their fruit and veggies and people buy them so they can throw it away. (good business huh?) once in a while i shop at lidl and they fruit and veggies are fraction on the price and are fresh and last longer. now i can see why everyone shops at lidl. who with me of macadona selling rotten fruits and veggies!!!

ruffus
12-09-2012, 19:59
Yes, me to Henry. The potatoes are terrible too, as is most of the fruit that they sell. I much prefer Lidl , their fruit is fresher, better and cheaper.

YOUNG GOLFER
12-09-2012, 20:03
When it comes fruit and veg mate you have to shop around....i know Titos in Adeje is not your area but that's where we get our veg from and it's far better and cost a lot less.

Suej
12-09-2012, 20:07
Yep! the fruit and veg in Mercadona is often rank! The Real Fruit shop in Los Cris is quite nice and might be easy for you to get to henry! a couple of doors away from Ofipapel!:wink2:

henry
12-09-2012, 20:39
Yep! the fruit and veg in Mercadona is often rank! The Real Fruit shop in Los Cris is quite nice and might be easy for you to get to henry! a couple of doors away from Ofipapel!:wink2:

thanks i know where it is even i know the anticrisis fruit shop next to lewski´s rest in los cristnaos next to the bus stop

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2012, 22:09
It seems to be the same here - I have stopped buying potatoes and am currently buying ready made mash (not frozen) I have spent £2.00 on many bags of potatoes only to throw the whole lot away. Same with fruit - they are selling it at either stupidly over priced or underpriced and within a day it's gone bad ! Tomatoes are the same - I just buy one or two at a time. I have optid for red onions as white ones are all mushy. the only decent potatoes around are Cyprus and they're no good for mash but brilliant for everything else.

primrose
12-09-2012, 22:16
Yes, me to Henry. The potatoes are terrible too, as is most of the fruit that they sell. I much prefer Lidl , their fruit is fresher, better and cheaper.

Lidl is one of the better Supermarkets for fruit and veg,Iceland is also awful don't know why they bother selling it.

ruffus
12-09-2012, 23:19
Lidl is one of the better Supermarkets for fruit and veg,Iceland is also awful don't know why they bother selling it.

Me neither Primrose, over priced, and poor quality. There is a little fruiterers called Super Verduras at Chafiras, on the way to Hiper Dino, and they do lovely, fresh fruit and veg, at reasonable prices. The veg always looks good quality, the mushrooms are very white and fresh there I have found

macdonald5
12-09-2012, 23:24
Here in Scotland Aldi are better than Asda for Fresh veg and fruit , Lidl OK for some veg eg celery this week very fresh and cheap

kingbaker
13-09-2012, 00:08
It seems to be the same here - I have stopped buying potatoes and am currently buying ready made mash (not frozen) I have spent £2.00 on many bags of potatoes only to throw the whole lot away. Same with fruit - they are selling it at either stupidly over priced or underpriced and within a day it's gone bad ! Tomatoes are the same - I just buy one or two at a time. I have optid for red onions as white ones are all mushy. the only decent potatoes around are Cyprus and they're no good for mash but brilliant for everything else.

Hey Monkey, where's Mercadona in Wales? Is it just up from HYPERDINO, in the i street?? :D:crylaughing:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

i sure everyone shops at macadona!! but has anyone else came across bad fruit that they sell?

2 weeks ago i got sweet potato for my mom. at las chafias. it look good but when my mom cut into 2 of them it rotten. well not bad 5 euros down the trash it was a kilo of it. last week at gran sur marcadona i got some banana tomatos kiwi with my dad. all looks good. sure enougn came home and the banana inside was mushy. kiwi look good but took a bite off two and i had to spit it out very sour inside. and yesterday went to marcadona by camison and head of lettues. great but spoke to soon after 2 days later the lettues was turning brown. not bad huh allmost 20 euros in fruit and veggies throw in the trash. no wondor they doing great it charge too much for their fruit and veggies and people buy them so they can throw it away. (good business huh?) once in a while i shop at lidl and they fruit and veggies are fraction on the price and are fresh and last longer. now i can see why everyone shops at lidl. who with me of macadona selling rotten fruits and veggies!!!

Hi Henry, how are you keeping? :wave:

carpenter
13-09-2012, 00:27
Here in Scotland Aldi are better than Asda for Fresh veg and fruit , Lidl OK for some veg eg celery this week very fresh and cheap

Watched a program about fresh fruit and veg a while back and Lidl and Aldi did not come out with good scores. Their produce is nowhere near the quality of other leading supermarkets,

It might be cheaper but that is reflected in the quality.
Over here I can't really comment other than it's all s**t

Tom & Sharon
13-09-2012, 01:56
I got some peaches in Mercadona a couple of weeks ago and they were bad in the middle.

The fruit and veg in Iceland is beyond appalling. Lidl is quite good quality wise, but still a poor selection.

The farmers market at Las Chafiras is generally the best for most things, with Bejuca on the Iceland road 2nd.

Having said all that though, the fruit and veg here really is garbage compared to what you can buy in the UK. I'm gong back next week, and can't wait for the lovely new potatoes (probably Israeli at this time of year) Spanish sweetheart cabbages, South African baby carrots, Gambian fine beans, tenderstem broccoli, fresh peas and all the other lovely fresh stuff I can buy there.

Healthy Mediterranean diet? Don't make me laugh!

nath
13-09-2012, 08:05
I find the worst one of all is the HiperTrebol at Adeje!

Megaloo
13-09-2012, 09:21
Here in the NOrth the Mercadonna fruit and veg is not bad Alcampo is not always good, but I do prefer to go to the little veg shops we have and the market.

Malteser Monkey
13-09-2012, 09:42
Hey Monkey, where's Mercadona in Wales? Is it just up from HYPERDINO, in the i street?? :D:crylaughing:

Down in the Valley !:D

chifleta
13-09-2012, 12:26

Totally agree, I was just saying to OH the other day that it's a shame LIDL don't sell more fruit n veg variety (OH likes fuji apples for example).... my opinion on the downfall of the quality of the fruit n veg recently in Mercadona is that I reckon their air conditioning isn't turned on as strong as it used to be, and I reckon that's because of the increase in their prices obviously has drastically reduced their clientelle and therefore they are getting less money and decided that they'd reduce the aircon, therefore reducing expenses... result = fruit coming from a very cold fridge into a warm area causing the fruit n veg to rot inside quicker than the norm, and we're getting that crappy fruit n veg....... I usually buy 3 packs of bananas, one of which normally buy still green.... and I stick them all in the fridge as soon as I get home, and even the green one was mushy/black when I opened them a week later. When I shop at LIDLS their stuff is so cold that by the time I get home even the water is still cold........

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Mind you, after always throwing away loads of fresh foods when i was working, no time or urge to cook every day, I started (and still do) to get my onions, garlic, green and red pepper, diced carrots (for paella only), runners, peas all from the freezer shop (Oceano 5!) pre-chopped/diced for quick cooking.... then I buy fresh red and green pepper for salads and/or fajitas, and I buy packs and packs of seedless black grapes, take them off vine, wash them, dry them properly and bag them and freeze them ñom ñom :)

TF1
13-09-2012, 12:35
I use the mercadillos or co-operitive outlets (Coslo, etc), which only sell local produce. The major supermarkets, whether in the Canaries, mainland or UK store stuff for so long it´s unreal, and I don´t wish to support organizations which pay producers just 8 cents for a kilo of bananas and sell them at over 2 euros!

Ecky Thump
13-09-2012, 13:16

Henry, as I told you at our last meeting, you should stick with your favourite "Coco Pops!, they are never rotten.:cheeky:

Hope to see you again soon.:tiphat:

henry
13-09-2012, 15:16
Henry, as I told you at our last meeting, you should stick with your favourite "Coco Pops!, they are never rotten.:cheeky:

Hope to see you again soon.:tiphat:

you know nesquick cereal is allmost like coco pops

slodgedad
13-09-2012, 15:25
We've stopped buying fruit and veg at Mercadona too. Lidl much better.

Javi
13-09-2012, 17:01
Hi there!

I often buy fruits and veggies in Mercadona (Cabo Blanco) and I have never had problems at all. OK. I bought better ones in "Frutería Los Agaves" in Las Américas where fruits and veggies are excellent but a bit overpriced.

For TF1, Coslo and coperativas also sell exports. It is a fact, our agriculture industry is so small that it can not even to provide the local consumers. 75% of potatoes come from England, Holland, Ireland...many fruits from Southamerica (Chile, Perú), meat from Brazil, Argentina, etc.

Suej
13-09-2012, 17:58
Hi there!

I often buy fruits and veggies in Mercadona (Cabo Blanco) and I have never had problems at all. OK. I bought better ones in "Frutería Los Agaves" in Las Américas where fruits and veggies are excellent but a bit overpriced.

For TF1, Coslo and coperativas also sell exports. It is a fact, our agriculture industry is so small that it can not even to provide the local consumers. 75% of potatoes come from England, Holland, Ireland...many fruits from Southamerica (Chile, Perú), meat from Brazil, Argentina, etc.

We don't find Cabo Blanco too bad either! but sometimes they not as fresh as they should be!

KirstyJay
13-09-2012, 20:30
I get my fruit and veg at the cooperativa. Half the price and much fresher. Usually organic too.

imablue
13-09-2012, 22:32
Kirsty.. i take it you mean the cooperativa in Guia de Tejina.. if so, agreed.. its good price and most times good quality ..we do find that Los Agaves in Las Americas is of good quality and reasonabley priced (though not the cheapest)as has been quoted...but we don,t often have to throw stuff away as has been stated from places elsewhere ...
shop around is the obvious choice as far as we are concerned ..

Oberon
13-09-2012, 23:21
Reading this thread it seems there are only 3 supermarkets here, Mercadona and Lidl and the English import one.

The fruit and veg in Mercadona, as Henry says is appalling quality, but not just that - the prices are extortionate. Look at the weights - compare the prices.
Lidl is marginally better.

Maxcoop is a franchise. The owners of the one in Valle San Lorenzo have their own finca, fresh seasonal veggies at good prices (some things are a third to a half of Mercadona prices)
And the coop at Tejina mentioned above has the tastiest tomatoes in the south.

The farmers' markets are strictly controlled by the councils (San Miguel for the Las Chafiras one)
They are regularly inspected and they can only sell what they grow - no industrial stuff there - fresh from this rich volcanic earth. Want to get healthy food? Get down to Las Chafiras at 8am on a Saturday morning.

DonnaFranka
14-09-2012, 00:48
When it comes fruit and veg mate you have to shop around....i know Titos in Adeje is not your area but that's where we get our veg from and it's far better and cost a lot less.

I echo ``Young Golfer`` about Tito`s. It`s really good. You can pick your own fruit and veg from the shelves if you walk right through and don`t go into the shop area.
Tito then comes and looks at what you have bought and he gives you a list of prices in Pesetas, you then go through to the cash desk and the lady/guy tots it all up and then coverts it into Euros....it`s great fun and the prices are very good.

Tito`s is in the Las Torres area of Adeje, up the road on the right side of the (quite new) Las Torres football and sports stadium.

KirstyJay
14-09-2012, 00:53
Kirsty.. i take it you mean the cooperativa in Guia de Tejina.. if so, agreed.. its good price and most times good quality ..we do find that Los Agaves in Las Americas is of good quality and reasonabley priced (though not the cheapest)as has been quoted...but we don,t often have to throw stuff away as has been stated from places elsewhere ...
shop around is the obvious choice as far as we are concerned ..Yes, I do use the one in Tejina, however there's one in Chio too... and Tamaimo, that I know of, and there are a fair few others scattered around. Usually one or two in each municipality and many of them have shops on the side that sell to the public. It's worth investigating.

Also the farmer's markets can be good. The one in Guia on a Saturday is cheap and good quality, but small. The one in Adeje is bigger with more choice, but it's a little more expensive than Guia.

Alf
16-09-2012, 12:57
Yep, i agree, Mercadona fruit and veg, not always good. I bought some nectarines one week which were good. The next week I bought some more and they all were mushy inside. I've had the bags with rotten potatoes too, bad dry oranges, rotten onions, etc. I try to shop elsewhere, but sometimes end up at Mercadona for convenience.

viv
16-09-2012, 21:09
yep with you all... the fruit & veg at Mercadona & iceland it rubbish! throw more away than we should... Lettuce looking good on the outside, the inside all brown!! Iceland we're charging 4 euro on Saturday for an iceburg!!
We try to get all of our's from Lidl. We have used the veg market up the road from Iceland.. they are ok.. we've had good fruit & veg from there.. doesn't cost a lot to buy either.

Saltnpepper
17-09-2012, 00:35
I generally try to buy my fruit & veg from the farmers markets - either Las Chafiras or San Isidro as they're closest to us - both good & cheap plus I prefer to give my business to local farmers than big businesses. However I do also buy fruit & veg from Lidl which is normally good - apart from the potatoes sometimes, they look ok on the outside but not always on the inside. The carrots are also ok but quite bitter. Iceland & Mercadona I don't bother with for fruit & veg. Super Verduras at Las Chafiras are quite good but not everything is great quality, I've found. There's an organic farm between San Isidro & Granadilla (just below Granadilla health centre on left hand side of road) where you can get seasonal veggies - they give you a basket & will pick you what you want out of the ground. You know it's fresh & it's reasonably priced. Give it a try!