PDA

View Full Version : If you could change just one thing in Tenerife what would that be?

9PLUS
17-06-2011, 10:51
?.........

atlantico
17-06-2011, 10:53
I'd get rid of the Tenerifeforum . . . . . . . and then I'd spend more time in the sun . . . . . . and you'd do more surfing !

tracey
17-06-2011, 11:18
The weather.
Its crap! lol:cool:

sparklegirl
17-06-2011, 11:24
nothing it is the perfect place :love: especially compared to the small cold windy Scottish island im from.Two years and i will be living in sunny Tenerife myself :cheer::jumping:

moonlighter
17-06-2011, 11:30
I'd move it closer to the UK

Malteser Monkey
17-06-2011, 11:41
I'd make Jimbo's virtual bar - Real !:idea:

sleepy
17-06-2011, 11:54
Get rid of all the BS'ers :wall:

sparklegirl
17-06-2011, 11:57
Get rid of all the BS'ers :wall:

Do you not get them every where in the world? Just imagine a place with no BS'ers ahhhhhh bliss :angel:

Peterrayner
17-06-2011, 11:58
Ley 7 :1995 :)

Pooh
17-06-2011, 11:59
I'd shoot the Rooster living behind our house...

sleepy
17-06-2011, 12:00
Do you not get them every where in the world? Just imagine a place with no BS'ers ahhhhhh bliss :angel:

We seem to have more than the fair share here :)

Angusjim
17-06-2011, 12:02
Holiday lets in Residencial complexes :surrender::crazy:

Suej
17-06-2011, 12:05
That dog owners become responsible and pick up their dog crap:poke:

Malteser Monkey
17-06-2011, 12:08
No cockroaches !

carpenter
17-06-2011, 12:09
Roundabouts! All of them must go! People just don't know roundabout etiquette here! They travel all the way round the outside at top speed! How are you meant to get off the things safely? Either get rid of them or maybe broadcast infomercials to explain their existence on the roads and how to use them.

evajones1122
17-06-2011, 12:10
Why change the place ???? I thing Tenerife is a perfect place.I don't think it needs any kind of change.

Suej
17-06-2011, 12:12
No cockroaches !

Or blady Mossies!....

tracey
17-06-2011, 12:21
No cockroaches !

I second that.
Hate them

Pooh
17-06-2011, 12:31
Roundabouts! All of them must go! People just don't know roundabout etiquette here! They travel all the way round the outside at top speed! How are you meant to get off the things safely? Either get rid of them or maybe broadcast infomercials to explain their existence on the roads and how to use them.

Actually, the way the do it here is supposed to be the standard within the EU, and adopted by all countries.
A roundabout should be treated as a circular road; No more, no less.
(I don't say I like it, though. What use is the inner lane?)

leskriett
17-06-2011, 12:34
I'd get rid of all the pushy PRs outside the pubs, I know they get paid rubbish and are only doing their jobs but no thanks means no, not keep asking and I'll change my mind.

atlantico
17-06-2011, 12:40
Actually, the way the do it here is supposed to be the standard within the EU, and adopted by all countries.

was once told that the inner lane is for if you break down - or need to take a pee !

carpenter
17-06-2011, 12:43

You shouldn't undertake on the TF1 nor should you undertake on Roundabouts. You should yield to anyone wishing to move back into the slower lane (outside of roundabout meant to be slower). So I disagree that here is the norm, it's applying a tiny bit of common sense to your driving. Sorry a little OT there

Also I'd like to see dog/cat breeding made illegal and only allowed under special license. Bit like Germany (god I sound like a right little Hitler)
But honestly We like it because it's the way it is so maybe the only answer to this thread is change nothing?

onelegnofeet
17-06-2011, 15:04
You should yield to anyone wishing to move back into the slower lane

YEILD!!! what you driving a HOSS and CART !!!:knight::knight::knight::lol:

I'd ban men in socks and sandals ,bum bags ,and people using bidets for anything other than its proper use ............And hiding the Milk in Mercadonnas

Goforgold
17-06-2011, 15:18
Get rid of the Lookie Lookies and PR's and then I can eat out in Los Cris again!!! :)

onelegnofeet
17-06-2011, 15:20
Get rid of the Lookie Lookies and PR's and then I can eat out in Los Cris again!!! :)

I knew that was coming M xx

Goforgold
17-06-2011, 15:22
That dog owners become responsible and pick up their dog crap:poke:

Totally agree - 'they' should be sorting this problem out BEFORE the so called " illegal lettings"!!!! Some of the side streets in Palm Mar are no-go areas. I know where I'd like to stick the dog waste!!!! It gives dogs a bad name!!! :)

I knew that was coming M xx

Hi Oneleg!! :) :) :)

I just didn't want to disappoint you!! :) :) :)

dom
17-06-2011, 16:07
No cockroaches ! no keep the cockroaches i find it funny when the girlfriend sees them and climbs on the nearest thing

Jimandsi
17-06-2011, 16:17
I'd make sure that the hundreds of so called "Estate Agents" trying to earn a living in Tenerife operated within a detailed Code of Practice.

This would include - being able to speak the local language, having a respectable office, having a complaints procedure and not misleading buyers/sellers.

Suej
17-06-2011, 16:32
I'd make sure that the hundreds of so called "Estate Agents" trying to earn a living in Tenerife operated within a detailed Code of Practice.

This would include - being able to speak the local language, having a respectable office, having a complaints procedure and not misleading buyers/sellers.[/B]

So you´re not talking just Tenerife then Jimbo?;)

onelegnofeet
17-06-2011, 17:33

This would include - being able to speak the local language, having a respectable office, having a complaints procedure and not misleading buyers/sellers.

Can you be more specific ???...................................:lol::lol::l ol:

reggie
17-06-2011, 17:43
The Lingo, why they cant speak english is beyond me, things would be simple then, they should make more of an effort :whistle::whistle:

hedgehog
17-06-2011, 20:54
The need to produce your whole life story in paper (and a photocopy) whenever you want to do anything.

http://youtu.be/NmiPOYPZ-fA

dom
18-06-2011, 12:31
The Lingo, why they cant speak english is beyond me, things would be simple then, they should make more of an effort :whistle::whistle:
sorry reggie i know i´m probably gonna get hated on for this but i think when were in there country we should make more of an effort to speak there language no matter what country your in

with cheese
18-06-2011, 13:20
sorry reggie i know i´m probably gonna get hated on for this but i think when were in there country we should make more of an effort to speak there language no matter what country your in

****'s don't.
I would ban all aircraft taking me out of Tenerife and bringing Germans in.

gary d
18-06-2011, 13:49
i would get rid off all the stray cats.before people start having a go about it not being the cats fault i mean there is just too many(same in mainland spain}

onelegnofeet
18-06-2011, 13:57
i would get rid off all the stray cats.before people start having a go about it not being the cats fault i mean there is just too many(same in mainland spain}

DUCK !! Gary .....................not the bird ,i really mean "DUCK" !!!!lol

reggie
18-06-2011, 14:35

Yes i know what your saying, I'm joking, but when the going gets tough they resort to english, like an italian talking to spanish or a german, its the central lingo, americans speak english, ?. be a whole lot easier, i mean the whole world will never speak cannarian,

Added after 2 minutes:

****'s don't.
I would ban all aircraft taking me out of Tenerife and bringing Germans in.

Pakis are rude, sly fu--ers, speak there lingo when they dont want you to know what there on about, i walk away when they start that, let them come to me,

marbro8
18-06-2011, 15:30
i would close all those asian camera shops, specialy the one at the bottom of the steps in porto colon:pray:

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 15:39
Pakis are rude, sly fu--ers, speak there lingo when they dont want you to know what there on about, i walk away when they start that, let them come to me,

Oh, and Spanish speaking Brits don't?

DaveRF
18-06-2011, 17:48
A massive crackdown and overhaul on all official bureaucracy and compulsory training for all businesses on customer service.

with cheese
18-06-2011, 17:52
Oh and Gas Bottles......................

DJ Dangerous
18-06-2011, 17:57
9PLUS - I'd move HIM closer to the UK...

Yes i know what your saying, I'm joking, but when the going gets tough they resort to english, like an italian talking to spanish or a german, its the central lingo, americans speak english, ?. be a whole lot easier, i mean the whole world will never speak cannarian,

Added after 2 minutes:

I'm happy speaking Spanish...

Here (http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeography/a/10languages.htm)'s a listing of the ten most popular languages spoken worldwide, along with the approximate number of primary or first language speakers for that language.

1. Mandarin Chinese - 882 million
2. Spanish - 325 million
3. English - 312-380 million
4. Arabic - 206-422 million
5. Hindi - 181 million
6. Portuguese - 178 million
7. Bengali - 173 million
8. Russian - 146 million
9. Japanese - 128 million
10. German - 96 million

reggie
18-06-2011, 18:26
Oh, and Spanish speaking Brits don't?

Spanish speaking brits ? they speak english in front of me, If they spoke spanish i wouldnt listen,

onelegnofeet
18-06-2011, 19:04
Spanish speaking brits ? they speak english in front of me, If they spoke spanish i wouldnt listen,

I wouldnt listen to some of them that even speak English !!!

I wish the police would do there job and move the "Ladies of the Night" from between Colon2 and the Columbus ,and look up from their cars from time to time and see their "Spotters " up in the trees ............maybe if they moved the "Ladies " instead of chatting to them and having a laugh the tourists may show the police a little respect

DOREEN QUINN
18-06-2011, 20:26
more people working in the banks, especially the ones on the desk to pay in/withdraw. Hate seeing bank workers just chatting or walking around witha bit of paper arggghhhhhhh

onelegnofeet
18-06-2011, 20:35
walking around witha bit of paper arggghhhhhhh

Same as me ................more Toilets please !!!

pablo1
18-06-2011, 22:25
The law that says you can keep somebody on remand for 2 years without charge. Though after the hundreds of thousands of euroes that they are going to have to pay out in compensation in the next 12 months they may already be looking into it....

Jackie
18-06-2011, 22:27
The law that says you can keep somebody on remand for 2 years without charge. Though after the hundreds of thousands of euroes that they are going to have to pay out in compensation in the next 12 months they may already be looking into it....

Did you think LONG and HARD about that reply Pablo ;):p

pablo1
18-06-2011, 22:34
Did you think LONG and HARD about that reply Pablo ;):p

Everything I do is long and hard Jackie - just the way I roll.. :-)

Bazz
19-06-2011, 16:14
Get rid of all the lookie lookies, Chinese cr@p sellers, PRs outside pubs and restaurants, deaf and dumb selling cr@p ......... have I missed anyone out? :pray:
Wouldn't it be great to be able to walk from Los Cristianos to La Caleta in the evening without being constantly hassled? :wall: :(

sundownersvince
19-06-2011, 16:19
Scratch card distributors.....

normboro
19-06-2011, 16:32
get rid of the prostitutes

with cheese
19-06-2011, 16:53
Get rid of all the lookie lookies, Chinese cr@p sellers, PRs outside pubs and restaurants, deaf and dumb selling cr@p ......... have I missed anyone out? :pray:
Wouldn't it be great to be able to walk from Los Cristianos to La Caleta in the evening without being constantly hassled? :wall: :(
Carry a baseball bat.

Why do people constantly moan about lookies etc, they just don't bother you if you take no notice.
They are also part of holiday destinations and make for about 25% of the enternment jokes. Not only that some people obviously like them because they wouldn't keep selling.
Pain in the ass at times but hey ho

Goforgold
19-06-2011, 17:06
Carry a baseball bat.

Why do people constantly moan about lookies etc, they just don't bother you if you take no notice.
They are also part of holiday destinations and make for about 25% of the enternment jokes. Not only that some people obviously like them because they wouldn't keep selling.
Pain in the ass at times but hey ho

They don't bother you if you take no notice - how can you ignore them if, when eating out, they come to your table every 5 minutes and you have to keep saying "no thank you".

They make for 25% of the entertainment jokes - well if that's what the jokes are like at the entertainment venues, I'm glad I don't go to any!!! :(

We would also like to enjoy a walk from Los Cris to La Caleta, but wouldn't entertain it - too much of a wind up!!

I know they are in most of the typical holiday destinations and nothing will change - hence no more eating out or staying in Los Cris. It was just great last year to be able to walk around hassle free, so relaxing and going back to the same place this year :) :)

Suej
19-06-2011, 17:22
They don't bother you if you take no notice - how can you ignore them if, when eating out, they come to your table every 5 minutes and you have to keep saying "no thank you".

They make for 25% of the entertainment jokes - well if that's what the jokes are like at the entertainment venues, I'm glad I don't go to any!!! :(

We would also like to enjoy a walk from Los Cris to La Caleta, but wouldn't entertain it - too much of a wind up!!

I know they are in most of the typical holiday destinations and nothing will change - hence no more eating out or staying in Los Cris. It was just great last year to be able to walk around hassle free, so relaxing and going back to the same place this year :) :)

I´m with you on this GFG! last night we went out to dinner with our friends they are both very stressed out about a move from Tenerife which according to the employment contract they can´t get out of, We were having an in depth conversation about it and no less than 3 times in the space of an hour different woman came up trying to sell us roses and each time it completely threw us off our conversation...I was livid!:censored:

hedgehog
19-06-2011, 18:59
I agree they are annoying, especially the ones that just don't take no for an answer. The hair braiders are my personal worst, after telling them no at least 3 times whilst at the boat playground in Los Cristianos once, one of them actually approached my daughter and asked her to ask mummy to pay for a hair braid...I'm afraid I was less than pleasant to her! I'm a great believer in live and let live...so let me be!!!

mony71
19-06-2011, 19:04
That i would be a permanent fixture

onelegnofeet
19-06-2011, 19:04

I´m with you on this GFG! last night we went out to dinner with our friends they are both very stressed out about a move from Tenerife which according to the employment contract they can´t get out of, We were having an in depth conversation about it and no less than 3 times in the space of an hour different woman came up trying to sell us roses and each time it completely threw us off our conversation...I was livid!:censored:

The trick is .............................dont look so Wealthy !!!

with cheese
19-06-2011, 19:14
The trick is to completely ignore don't even say no, don't make eye contact, just ignore.
As for the entertainment some of the joking that compere's and entertainers do about them is brilliant.
Agree HH that was not nice but most of them go away if you show no interest. If they put them on your table why eating, push them off.

Suej
19-06-2011, 19:21
The trick is to completely ignore don't even say no, don't make eye contact, just ignore.
As for the entertainment some of the joking that compere's and entertainers do about them is brilliant.
Agree HH that was not nice but most of them go away if you show no interest. If they put them on your table why eating, push them off.

They just stood here poking these po*y flowers at each of us in turn....by then you´ve lost the drift of the conversation! Us who live here have to put up with this every time we go out for a drink or dinner...........enough is enough sometimes.:gun:

onelegnofeet
19-06-2011, 19:43
They just stood here poking these po*y flowers at each of us in turn....by then you´ve lost the drift of the conversation! Us who live here have to put up with this every time we go out for a drink or dinner...........enough is enough sometimes.:gun:

You can write "POSY"(a bunch of flowers ) its not swearing SueJ

with cheese
19-06-2011, 20:02
Snap the flowers in half next time.

Suej
19-06-2011, 20:16

The way the droopy roses looked the women probably had to just go bin ´em! don´t think they had a good night! :flower:

Red Devil
19-06-2011, 20:33

Have to agree with you on that Cheese - I usually either ignore them or shake my head and carry on with my conversation. They aren't going to disappear so I don't let them spoil my holiday, just carry on walking - usually as near to beachside as poss, away from restaurant entrances and general flow of walkers.
If they do come inside a restaurant etc then I dont see why bar owners allow it, I asked this question on here a while ago but didnt get an answer from any owners.
We do like to eat mainly at Canarian restaurants and they dont seem to come inside these places as much.
I will enjoy La Dolce Vita!:)

warbey
19-06-2011, 20:37
These People are usually known to the Staff.
Its like the secret ruddy service, nods and winks...

irishmusico
19-06-2011, 21:00
I would set up a thread for the bored housewives and house husbands,whingers and moaners and people who don't care whether they take a thread off topic because they just have to have a moan the moment it hits them and don't have any respect for the title of the thread just so long they can wade in and have an off topic whinge.
That would probably go off topic too ;)

with cheese
19-06-2011, 21:09
I would set up a thread for the bored housewives and house husbands,whingers and moaners and people who don't care whether they take a thread off topic because they just have to have a moan the moment it hits them and don't have any respect for the title of the thread just so long they can wade in and have an off topic whinge.
You missed out the non whingers who just have a laugh but take topics off thread in doing so.

Red Devil
19-06-2011, 21:13

You're cheating! Using same reply to every thread going..... lazy fecker

irishmusico
19-06-2011, 21:13
You missed out the non whingers who just have a laugh but take topics off thread in doing so.

Yea them too :)

Suej
19-06-2011, 21:24
And guess what I´ll do with the sharp end!;)

theedge92
19-06-2011, 21:33
Am sick of being called Del Boy, them coloured fellas trackin you down with fake shades and chains, "Eyyyy Del Boyyy" every single day. Ad hate to be David Jason in Tenerife, he'd be fumin after the first hour of arriving.

Its funny though, av got genuine Armani sunglasses, yet there still intent to sell you the fake ones.

sunspot
19-06-2011, 21:33
The Chinese sellers get right up my nose,they sell the biggest load of tat going and just wont leave you alone.....:wall:

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 09:20
Am sick of being called Del Boy, them coloured fellas trackin you down with fake shades and chains,

May i suggest for a change going to Gran Canaria ..........at least you get a name change "RAMBO " ....."EYYY RAMBO!!!" at least del boy was a good actor !!!

willowlily
20-06-2011, 10:30
the fact you cannot be sure if you get your mail. a friend of mine whom lives in tenerife all year round asked me to send her a mobile which cannot be bought locally, she insisted that the post form uk would be no problem, so with great trepidation i went to the post office and asked about the best way to sent it. i was informed that even recorded to tenerife costing £ 12 would not have any gaurantees and that they could not insure mobile phones to tenerife the only way would be to go parcel post at £39 my friend in tenerife said just send it normal post she is positive that it will arrive so lets see.

howard thornton
20-06-2011, 10:34
the fact you cannot be sure if you get your mail. a friend of mine whom lives in tenerife all year round asked me to send her a mobile which cannot be bought locally, she insisted that the post form uk would be no problem, so with great trepidation i went to the post office and asked about the best way to sent it. i was informed that even recorded to tenerife costing £ 12 would not have any gaurantees and that they could not insure mobile phones to tenerife the only way would be to go parcel post at £39 my friend in tenerife said just send it normal post she is positive that it will arrive so lets see. morning lilly. no chance.

willowlily
20-06-2011, 10:43
morning lilly. no chance.
thats what i thought howard but my friend was insistent and said if it got lost she would foot the bill i really did not want to send it

howard thornton
20-06-2011, 10:45
thats what i thought howard but my friend was insistent and said if it got lost she would foot the bill i really did not want to send it

let us know the outcome please.

Jackie
20-06-2011, 10:49
Willowy in the 4 years I have lived here I have received everything that people have sent me from the UK other than one time which was an Anniversary card. I have had cash sent, parcels of clothes and shoes from Primark, photos, bank cards etc. and have received them all between 2 and 10 days depending on their size.

willowlily
20-06-2011, 11:22
Willowy in the 4 years I have lived here I have received everything that people have sent me from the UK other than one time which was an Anniversary card. I have had cash sent, parcels of clothes and shoes from Primark, photos, bank cards etc. and have received them all between 2 and 10 days depending on their size.
hi jackie after reading your thread i can see why my friend is confident in recieving her mail, it is true that the 6 winter months i spend yearly in tenerife i have always recieved my mail but it was only paperwork and nothing of value to others.
you have given me hope

sent it on friday so i will giive it 10 days before posting the outcome

with cheese
20-06-2011, 11:27
I would change Muppet being able to get threads closed because they do not suit the non sense of humour
Please close this thread MOD, before Muppet chops complains.

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 11:49
MUPPET CHOPS !!!......................................are they anything like lamb chops ???:hungry::hungry:

SHOES from PRIMARK ..........why get them sent over ,MISS PRIMARK 1999 to 2011 should be able to help ,i think her names ALI !!!!!:p:flower::flower:

Jackie
20-06-2011, 11:54
MUPPET CHOPS !!!......................................are they anything like lamb chops ???:hungry::hungry:

SHOES from PRIMARK ..........why get them sent over ,MISS PRIMARK 1999 to 2011 should be able to help ,i think her names ALI !!!!!:p:flower::flower:

haha OLNF if you saw the amount of stuff she brought back just for her kids you would know there was not even room for a pair of flip flops:lol:

I bought a load in March when I went back 2.50 per pair for leather look flip flops/sandals. Daughter and me are same size so bought about 15 pairs between us;)

In fact that is what I would change about Tenerife. Get rid of one of the large Chinese shops in the Valdes Centre and let Primark buy it. No more parcels need to be sent, no more going to Gran Canaria just to shop...

Oberon
20-06-2011, 12:48
?.........What a depressing thread!

Let's dig up everything negative about Tenerife that we can possibly think of ......... and post it on the world wide web.

One thing I have noticed here in Tenerife is that if you find someone here who is not moaning and griping at all, someone quite contented to be here............ be they British or be they from wherever ........... invariably it is someone who has travelled the world a bit.

The ones who moan usually haven't been anywhere else.

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2011, 12:53
Ahh but nobody is going to take a blind bit of notcie - they will go on their jollies anyway.

Every country has it's plusses and minusses. If we all thought that way we'd never go away ! Would we ?

Jackie
20-06-2011, 12:56
I have travelled extensively thank you and I am very contented to be here. If you read through the thread you will find that most of the moans and gripes are about trivial things, with some people like me even struggling to find something that they would change. Let's start a thread about things we would change in the UK, I think the answer there will be a bit different to someone bugging you selling their wares :)

Oberon
20-06-2011, 13:37
I have travelled extensively thank you and I am very contented to be here.Which proves my point :hello:

Let's start a thread about things we would change in the UK, I think the answer there will be a bit different to someone bugging you selling their wares :)or cockroaches.

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 13:48
haha OLNF if you saw the amount of stuff she brought back just for her kids you would know there was not even room for a pair of flip flops:lol:

I bought a load in March when I went back 2.50 per pair for leather look flip flops/sandals. Daughter and me are same size so bought about 15 pairs between us;

In fact that is what I would change about Tenerife. Get rid of one of the large Chinese shops in the Valdes Centre and let Primark buy it. No more parcels need to be sent, no more going to Gran Canaria just to shop...

FIFTEENPAIRS !!! you could have saved on airfare ,sow them together and ..............SURFed Home !!!

(singing)I JOINED THE NAVY TO SEA THE SEA AND WHAT DID I SEEI saw ....................Gibralter.Falklands ,Argentina,Austrailia ,USA,Singapore,malta,Cyprus,New zealand ,Virgin islands,Suez canal,and called in a few others on the way..............does this mean i can have a gripe please about the Pro's and cops of Tenerife please Mr New Mod:eyebrows::eyebrows::sailor2:

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2011, 13:52
FIFTEENPAIRS !!! you could have saved on airfare ,sow them together and ..............SURFed Home !!!

(singing)I JOINED THE NAVY TO SEA THE SEA AND WHAT DID I SEEI saw ....................Gibralter.Falklands ,Argentina,Austrailia ,USA,Singapore,malta,Cyprus,New zealand ,Virgin islands,Suez canal,and called in a few others on the way..............does this mean i can have a gripe please about the Pro's and cops of Tenerife please Mr New Mod:eyebrows::eyebrows::sailor2:

Don't start about the old bill over there:p

with cheese
20-06-2011, 13:53
Good old Oberon, comes on here saying about people moaning about things, when most of this thread is light hearted humour. Mind you moaning about the type of paople that live in Tenerife, that is heavy.
jackie is the same size as her daughter and her daughter was 6 last week.
Oneleg buys shoes from Primark, which proves a point, Primark shoes don't wear out very quickly.
Oberon also has a thing about C*ck.......... roaches. (sorry typo)

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 13:56
Oneleg buys shoes from Primark, which proves a point, Primark shoes don't wear out very quickly.

Not Actually Buy! they are one of the only shops that put them out in pairs ......................got loads of Rightees !!!!

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2011, 13:57
sounds like someone off star wars - don't you think

ooops just googled it - was a planet on the film

with cheese
20-06-2011, 14:05
Ok so the right shoe is hard wearing.
Cant you put them on back to front.

onelegnofeet
20-06-2011, 14:10
Ok so the right shoe is hard wearing.
Cant you put them on back to front.

No thats silly ..............but i know where i could stick them !!!:eyebrows::hit:

Oberon
20-06-2011, 14:42
moaning about the type of paople that live in Tenerife, that is heavy.Who is doing this?

Oberon also has a thing about C*ck.......... roaches. (sorry typo)Does this mean I'm gay? Do you think that is an insult?

Sundowner
20-06-2011, 15:00
Build a few more carparks!

sleepy
20-06-2011, 17:29
Oh yeah...and I'd also get shot of the been there, seen it, done brigade too.They quite clearly haven't if they think Tenerife is top of the list.:lol:

with cheese
20-06-2011, 17:38
Who is doing this?

Does this mean I'm gay? Do you think that is an insult?

Lighten up Oberon this is a fun thread, you need to come back to Earth.
And yes it was you having a go about the type of people, saying they couldn't have been anywhere.
So go on enlighten us, you start by naming 5 countries you have been to, then I will.
As Idid 6 years RN and 3 years Merchant plus 15 cruises and many other holidays you may lose so don't insult people you don't know, unless you are for retaliation.

Goforgold
20-06-2011, 18:24
What a depressing thread!

Let's dig up everything negative about Tenerife that we can possibly think of ......... and post it on the world wide web.

One thing I have noticed here in Tenerife is that if you find someone here who is not moaning and griping at all, someone quite contented to be here............ be they British or be they from wherever ........... invariably it is someone who has travelled the world a bit.

The ones who moan usually haven't been anywhere else.

How do you make that out ???

I would still hate Lookie men and PR's if I had travelled to Timbuktu.

Added after 2 minutes:

I have travelled extensively thank you and I am very contented to be here. If you read through the thread you will find that most of the moans and gripes are about trivial things, with some people like me even struggling to find something that they would change. Let's start a thread about things we would change in the UK, I think the answer there will be a bit different to someone bugging you selling their wares :)

I don't think PR's and Lookies are trivial :) :)

Margaretta
20-06-2011, 20:13
Well Oberon, if I were your Titania (and you do have a dishy avatar) I'd show you that most of the people on this thread have a sense of humour and most posts are light-hearted.:crazy::lol:

But it is a point that that would not necessarily be clear to new members. You do get to know people's Forum characters after a while and can sense whether they are being serious or humorous; maybe a 'good humour' or a 'grump' button by each post would be an idea to clarify?

I love the terrain of Tenerife, flowers and trees and would love to see the huge quantities of building rubble and ironmongery scattered by unfinished dreams collected and made into sculptures to enhance the island. The people are very creative and the materials are so available!!!

Now hopefully my latest little amateur painting will cheer some of you and show something else that is good about the island: the folk-dancing and costumes. I took some photos inspiring the painting in the Spring in Los Cristianos. It's not finished yet.

9PLUS
20-06-2011, 20:15
RADness

x

Jackie
20-06-2011, 20:23
Well Oberon, if I were your Titania (and you do have a dishy avatar) I'd show you that most of the people on this thread have a sense of humour and most posts are light-hearted.:crazy::lol:

But it is a point that that would not necessarily be clear to new members. You do get to know people's Forum characters after a while and can sense whether they are being serious or humorous; maybe a 'good humour' or a 'grump' button by each post would be an idea to clarify?

I love the terrain of Tenerife, flowers and trees and would love to see the huge quantities of building rubble and ironmongery scattered by unfinished dreams collected and made into sculptures to enhance the island. The people are very creative and the materials are so available!!!

Now hopefully my latest little amateur painting will cheer some of you and show something else that is good about the island: the folk-dancing and costumes. I took some photos inspiring the painting in the Spring in Los Cristianos. It's not finished yet.

Another beautiful painting Margaretta but I personally think the person to make those sculptures you are talking about would be you. After looking at your paintings I am sure you would come up with just the right sculptures to enhance the Island

willowlily
22-06-2011, 10:50

[QUOTE=willowlily;20300]hi jackie after reading your thread i can see why my friend is confident in recieving her mail, it is true that the 6 winter months i spend yearly in tenerife i have always recieved my mail but it was only paperwork and nothing of value to others.
you have given me hope

i am so happy my friend has just emailed me to say she has recieved the mobile phone i sent from uk to tenerife, i am suprised that it arrived so quickly as i sent it on friday afternoon in a large padded envelope normal post.
but even so i personally would be very wary about sending items of value through the post even in uk let alone abroad unless i could insure them

howard thornton
22-06-2011, 12:36
[QUOTE=willowlily;20300]hi jackie after reading your thread i can see why my friend is confident in recieving her mail, it is true that the 6 winter months i spend yearly in tenerife i have always recieved my mail but it was only paperwork and nothing of value to others.
you have given me hope.

i am so happy my friend has just emailed me to say she has recieved the mobile phone i sent from uk to tenerife, i am suprised that it arrived so quickly as i sent it on friday afternoon in a large padded envelope normal post.
but even so i personally would be very wary about sending items of value through the post even in uk let alone abroad unless i could insure them

thanks lilly, i like a happy ending to a story.

chifleta
22-06-2011, 12:50

oh I don't know... do you remember the Guaza "half-circle" crossing many many many moons ago, before the roundabout coming off the motorway? a bit dodgy that, plus the queues were horrendous...

Added after 5 minutes:

no keep the cockroaches i find it funny when the girlfriend sees them and climbs on the nearest thing

I used to do the same as your girlfriend, until i found out the buggers fly eeeeeek

dom
22-06-2011, 13:04
I used to do the same as your girlfriend, until i found out the buggers fly eeeeeek[/QUOTE]
i´ve not told about that yet :lol:

chifleta
22-06-2011, 13:10
the fact you cannot be sure if you get your mail. a friend of mine whom lives in tenerife all year round asked me to send her a mobile which cannot be bought locally, she insisted that the post form uk would be no problem, so with great trepidation i went to the post office and asked about the best way to sent it. i was informed that even recorded to tenerife costing £ 12 would not have any gaurantees and that they could not insure mobile phones to tenerife the only way would be to go parcel post at £39 my friend in tenerife said just send it normal post she is positive that it will arrive so lets see.

i'm still waiting for a parcel of maternity clothes from a cousin... my son is 18 years old now :D - I must admit the post is a LOT better than it used to be - fingers crossed with the mobile phone though...

Added after 13 minutes:

what would I change here? well yes, I agree there are a lot of little quibbles - cockroaches, and barking dogs, and dog poo etc - but really, the only thing that changed for the better in Tenerife since i've been here, IS ME - i'm happy (although that probably has more to do with my better half), i'm patient (that took the first 14 years of living here to perfect) ... so no, I wouldn't really change anything :)

9PLUS
22-06-2011, 21:00
If you could change just one thing in Tenerife what would that be?

onelegnofeet
22-06-2011, 21:03

I would put electricians wages up .........................

with cheese
22-06-2011, 21:05
Blow the Electirians up

henry
22-06-2011, 21:08
if i chage tenerife people have to work 9-5 mon - fri. and sunday stores be open. i sure other members agree with me here. when you go to a shop said after 2pm it close and you have to wait till 5pm to do your things. and when you be off on weekends you want to do something like shop. but can´t do that because stores close at 2pm and won´t be open till monday. when i be off on weekends i like to go to el corte ingles, or shop around check out what´s new. but can´t do that because they close. i don´t know how they do in the u.k. but in the states you have stores open on weekends. look at wal-mart open 24 hours. i know because sometimes i work the graveyard shift. not too many but now and then.

Pink shoes
23-06-2011, 10:18
I would ban the Pr's standing outside restaurants. How many times can you be asked on a stroll if you would like food? They are a pest.

Rikkig
23-06-2011, 13:35
I would ban the Pr's standing outside restaurants. How many times can you be asked on a stroll if you would like food? They are a pest.

judging by the size of some people they must fall victim to many PRs and have several meals during their walks !
:crylaughing::crylaughing:

tracey
23-06-2011, 13:54
the weather!! Moved from Mainland Spain to here to get away from the rain in winter and scorching heat in summer????????????????
Since getting here we have had a wet and cold winter and now a heatwave. In Cordoba last August the hottest it got was 43 and its 46 here now in my garden. Moan over!!
Apart from that still loving The Reef
PS anyone out for San Juan tonight?

astara
23-06-2011, 16:42
1) Sort out the local ayuntamientos ( i.e. Arona) systems / or lack of them, on collection of stray dogs, make them do their jobs!!!!
2) Make it illegal to leave dogs on terraces etc all day long, throughout this hot weather, & bloody walk them regularly to stop them going nuts all year round. ( in denmark they have a 5 hour rule, after which you can be reported & prosecuted)

3) Make it compulsary for dogs to be neutered, & all breeding be legalised like previous poster said.

lol - i know you said one thing - but they are all kinda connected...

oooh & teach peeps to pick up dog C**p so all dog lovers dont get a bad name ....
sorry i know thats now 4 ....

Goforgold
23-06-2011, 17:14
1) Sort out the local ayuntamientos ( i.e. Arona) systems / or lack of them, on collection of stray dogs, make them do their jobs!!!!
2) Make it illegal to leave dogs on terraces etc all day long, throughout this hot weather, & bloody walk them regularly to stop them going nuts all year round. ( in denmark they have a 5 hour rule, after which you can be reported & prosecuted)

3) Make it compulsary for dogs to be neutered, & all breeding be legalised like previous poster said.

lol - i know you said one thing - but they are all kinda connected...

oooh & teach peeps to pick up dog C**p so all dog lovers dont get a bad name ....
sorry i know thats now 4 ....

A great post Astara - you wouldn't think that dog owners would need to be told NOT to leave them longer than 5 hours, NOT to leave them out on a hot terrace and WALK them!!! How would the owners like to be cooped up all day and never go anywhere. Dogs need a daily change of scene just like humans!!!

We need the Danish Rules to apply throughout the World. I know of so many dogs here in the UK too who are left hour after hour whilst their owners work full time - the dogs don't get walked either and then the owners wonder why the dog chews things up when left alone. Even dogs who have access to a garden need to go out daily for a walk and the larger dogs need to burn off lots of energy - but a lot of dog owners just don't get it!!!!

No common sense!!! :(

warbey
23-06-2011, 19:36
Deport proven undesireables.
if they are Not Tenerifians at least

reggie
23-06-2011, 20:23
Deport proven undesireables.
if they are Not Tenerifians at least

What, To the UK with the rest of them, come on in, plenty of money left, we can shove petrol up to £10 a litre if we run out, no need to work, just watch sky TV all day, you dont even need to sign on, we will post it to your bank. :mad:

warbey
23-06-2011, 20:49
What, To the UK with the rest of them, come on in, plenty of money left, we can shove petrol up to £10 a litre if we run out, no need to work, just watch sky TV all day, you dont even need to sign on, we will post it to your bank. :mad:

The truth often is hurtful isnt it.?

dokgolf
23-06-2011, 21:58
One thing I would change.......the illegal lettting inspectors:run:

libby
01-03-2012, 20:23
the beach just outside parque santiago 4 in playa de las americas , its just rocky ,although there is a lovely beach if u just walk along abit

richard king
01-03-2012, 21:17
i would make mount teide smaller so that when i cycle to the top my bl...dy legs dont hurt so much...

Angusjim
02-03-2012, 08:09
Rent holiday apartments in residential complexes you know it makes sense:eyebrows::whistle:

Ecky Thump
02-03-2012, 08:40
Rent holiday apartments in residential complexes you know it makes sense:eyebrows::whistle:

Or have some more family or friends living in the residential complexes, now that does make sense!:cheeky:

Santiago
02-03-2012, 14:48
Someone said move it closer to the UK, I would rather the UK moved closer to Tenerife then I could pop down for weekends.

KirstyJay
02-03-2012, 15:00
Someone said move it closer to the UK, I would rather the UK moved closer to Tenerife then I could pop down for weekends.and the UK would be warmer!!!

Malteser Monkey
02-03-2012, 16:55
and the UK would be warmer!!!

ahhhh but if the UK were warmer we may not want to leave ! (with all the amazing countryside views that we have)

sunseeker
03-03-2012, 17:14
insted of the amazing mountain views??

Davie Thistle
03-03-2012, 17:31

..........try Scotland in the summer sunshine!
(if we get sun!!!):crylaughing:

warbey
03-03-2012, 21:37
Enforce Law and Order. including punishing those who dont or wont care about others.

Sal
03-03-2012, 22:24

That I'm not living there..................................yet!

marbro8
03-03-2012, 22:31
nothing it is the perfect place :love: especially compared to the small cold windy Scottish island im from.Two years and i will be living in sunny Tenerife myself :cheer::jumping:where do you live sparklegirl ? i have a cousin living on lewis

I'd move it closer to the UKbut then it would be colder:tongue:

AL JAY
03-03-2012, 22:52
I would like to see shop assistants smile (especially in Spanish Style shops) and Supermarkets, Without us you wouldn't have a job...:D:

marbro8
03-03-2012, 22:57
I would like to see shop assistants smile (especially in Spanish Style shops) and Supermarkets, Without us you wouldn't have a job...:D:never found that a problem al jay because of my ancestry of maltese great grandmother after being on the island a few days i get both shop assistants and pr's speaking to me in spanish with a lovely smile:laugh:

Greg
04-03-2012, 02:27
Howsabout making it illegal to take money from your bank account without a court order, and due notice of the court case pending so you have can defend your position before they remove funds. I had 43000€ wrongly taken from my account and it took six months and nine grand in fees (non claimable) to get my money back. If this happened in the UK it would be front page news. Yet it happens every day here and people just shrug their shoulders. Amazing.

Malteser Monkey
04-03-2012, 10:13

we have the Snowden range and the views from my house breath taking:)

never found that a problem al jay because of my ancestry of maltese great grandmother after being on the island a few days i get both shop assistants and pr's speaking to me in spanish with a lovely smile:laugh:

She sounds nice:spin:

marbro8
04-03-2012, 12:04
we have the Snowden range and the views from my house breath taking:)

She sounds nice:spin:snoden is beautiful, we went there while staying in denbigh last year for my great aunts birthday party she is in her 80's and something of a local celebrity, she has even wrote a book about her adventures, like still doing marathons, climbing mountains she even lived in a forest for 5 years in isolation in a cabin with no electricity and only a well for water:crazy: