PDA

View Full Version : Other Is the Canarian government correct in trying to make Tenerife a 5* resort?

delderek
15-09-2012, 16:58
Do you think they are right or wrong, forget the past, is this the future?

madness1
15-09-2012, 17:07
I hope so but what makes you think that?

Suej
15-09-2012, 17:14
They would have to pull a lot down and start again! No one euro pint? it won't happen:cheers:

:rofl:

willowlily
15-09-2012, 18:16
i think tenerife is big and diverse enough to offer different types of holidays to satisfy all tastes, and long may this continue

KirstyJay
15-09-2012, 18:20
It'd be nice if they could get some of the more tired areas cleaned up... not necessarily have everything 5*, but we don't have to put up with a ****hole, ;)

Suej
15-09-2012, 18:23
I agree! there's a little coffee place that we go to a few doors along from the LA shop in LC...that whole row needs refurbishing! I have never seen so many scruffy looking bars! they don't even look clean!eek2:

willowlily
15-09-2012, 18:32
It'd be nice if they could get some of the more tired areas cleaned up... not necessarily have everything 5*, but we don't have to put up with a ****hole, ;)

there are areas that could do with a facelift.
i notice that veronicas were at least up to last month bursting with teenagers but with the european population ageing it won't be too long till these places are
defunct and hopefully replaced by places satisfying the majority of holiday makers

macdonald5
15-09-2012, 18:41

Agree, what about Puerto Colon at night?
Very tired and without any attraction to encourage visits!!

delderek
15-09-2012, 18:58
I think Adeje have almost got it right, Fancy 5* hotels from The Sheraton up to Fanabe, where many of the 5* tourists do not visit, they turn round and go back to the upmarket area as Fanabe is now looking more like Blackpool with an added extra of PR's.

Arona, and especially Los Cris has an identity problem, it is marketed as a quieter village next to Las Americas, but it has no upmarket areas, and an awful lot of tatty ones. It is definitely now much more down market than the Sheraton to El Duque area of Adeje.

timmylish
16-09-2012, 01:38
Right or wrong (in answer to your question) in the light of the current financial situation I cannot possibly see how any Government can make changes/improvements in the foreseeable future.

slodgedad
16-09-2012, 01:50
In answer to the original question, I can see merit in making the newer areas of Tenerife 'up market' but not at the expense of the, long established, 'down market' areas.

After all, how many Veronicas and strips of boozers do us poor people need?

seanocelt
16-09-2012, 01:51
Its going to take a while for the 5 star thing to develop, slowly the less pretty places are fading/dying, and there will always be a market in the Canaries for the "not quite 5 star" too. I recall posting on my first visit back after 12 years away, being ASTOUNDED at some of the changes. So, 12 years from now, different again, we are lucky to be here for now, for all its faults, is my take. Will it be the 5 star eutopia dreamed of by the gov? Not in my lifetime, but at least they dared to dream.

Dan747
16-09-2012, 03:00
A very risky strategy, the Canaries need all the business they can get at the moment given the current financial situation, regardless of how much people earn, their money is just as valuable, good luck if the low-cost airlines move out and leave BA to bring in 5* passengers!

The islands need a good mix of both budget travelers who keep the hotels in business and the well off who can keep local bars and restaurants afloat.

slodgedad
16-09-2012, 03:15
A very risky strategy, the Canaries need all the business they can get at the moment given the current financial situation, regardless of how much people earn, their money is just as valuable, good luck if the low-cost airlines move out and leave BA to bring in 5* passengers!

The islands need a good mix of both budget travelers who keep the hotels in business and the well off who can keep local bars and restaurants afloat.

In my opinion they are not trying to change the place but are trying to diversify.

Since the 'unleashed' set of programmes years ago most peoples attitudes have to be changed

There are various members in my wife's family who will not visit purely because of the TV programme.

It will never be a 5* resort completely but there is plenty of room for certain areas to specialize.

Whenever I go to the UK I am always gobsmacked at the amount of people that think Veronicas is Tenerife.

The programes we all welcomed in the 90s have bit us all in the bum

madness1
16-09-2012, 05:06
I wish BA flew out here,it would be nice to be treated like a human being for 4 hours

cheery
16-09-2012, 06:26
From what I understand Dubai is quite upmarket but is quite soulless. I saw vast changes and improvements last time we visited Tenerife in 2009 from 1996. We are coming again in 3 weeks but I don't suppose the changes will be as dramatic. I think the areas mentioned Veronicas and parts of Los Cris will always be the same as they are too big to change without a small fortune being spent. If the Mayor of Benidorm could put the clock back I don't think all those ghastly high rise would be built. South West Tenerife might be fairly dense accommodation wise but very few high rise blocks.

candy2411
16-09-2012, 08:49
It's generally recognised that Tenerife is an island of contrasts, but this doesn't just relate to the fantastic scenery and landscape, this also applies to the diversity of residential and holiday accomodation.

The 5* hotels and resorts are fabulous but this is not real life!
Yes, its great for a holiday but the wonderful climate offers an all year round great place to live as is proved by the large numbers of people who have relocated permanently or just come for the winter months.

Residents and 'swallows' may not be big spenders in the 5* sense, but they contribute a great deal to the overall economy and surely the Canarian government must realise this contribution is just as valuable as the 5* tourist who stays a week or two.

Javi
16-09-2012, 09:30
Hi!
Don't forget that politicians are always bluffing and trying to divert our attention. In my opion Tenerife, as far as tourism is concerned, has a bit of everything, it's means for all budgets; golf resorts, 5 - 3* hotels, apart-hotels, time sharing properties. Ok. Many of them need improvements but this not depend on goverment, at least directly.
What does Canary Islands need? It need a future and how is it built?...attracting investors and diversifying investments (not only touristic or leisure industry). But before that, the government must invest in education for young people and training and retraining for adults. The lack of professional skills among our workforce is notorious and politicians have been cutting year after year the education budgests.
Finally, answering the original question...this is another comment launched without thinking and meditating deeply which it is only seeking publicity.

golf birdie
16-09-2012, 09:45
5 stars is a million miles away from Tenerife. I could count on one hand the amount of places here who offer 5 star service here. Build as many hotels as you like, it all comes down to service and you won't get that paying 5 euros an hour to the staff. IMO opinion there are only 2 hotels on the island who could stand up to the 5 star billing so it will never happen.

willowlily
16-09-2012, 10:06
I wish BA flew out here,it would be nice to be treated like a human being for 4 hours

i did fly from heathrow over 15 years ago direct on a scheduled flight to tfs i am sure it was ba. i think the cost then was about the same as ryanair is now.
most people could not or more likely want to pay the equivalent it would cost to fly 5*.
feeling like a human being is a state of mind, terrry waite proved that.
which airlines do these people fly whom are staying at those luxury resorts

carpenter
16-09-2012, 11:43
You'd have more luck turning Blackpool into a 5* Resort. Tenerife has and will always have a tacky image attached to it.

Please don't try and argue it hasn't, so if it's a choice between 5* Morocco or Fanabe then I'll pack my Fez.

You only have to go to the airport to see the type of class that Tenerife attracts. It attracts footballs shirt wearing, stag night/Hen parties, and other people that ended up here cos it's the only winter sun they could afford. People that pay for their holiday by doing ciggy runs. People that expect everyone to speak English. You know "classy people"

Yes there are other parts of the island beautiful parts but to speak generally Tenerife has a tacky name just like Blackpool and to try and polish a turd is a waste of time and money.

Stand back, duck, raise shields and wait for counter fire.

Suej
16-09-2012, 12:49
You'd have more luck turning Blackpool into a 5* Resort. Tenerife has and will always have a tacky image attached to it.

Please don't try and argue it hasn't, so if it's a choice between 5* Morocco or Fanabe then I'll pack my Fez.

You only have to go to the airport to see the type of class that Tenerife attracts. It attracts footballs shirt wearing, stag night/Hen parties, and other people that ended up here cos it's the only winter sun they could afford. People that pay for their holiday by doing ciggy runs. People that expect everyone to speak English. You know "classy people"

Yes there are other parts of the island beautiful parts but to speak generally Tenerife has a tacky name just like Blackpool and to try and polish a turd is a waste of time and money.

Stand back, duck, raise shields and wait for counter fire.

I actually agree with you carpenter! Tenerife does still have that tacky stigma attached to it! nearly all my friends and family that visit get the screwed up nose expression when they tell others where they are heading off to on their hols...Tenerife is still on par with Benidorm in the reputation stakes and when I have watched the namesake TV program it could easily be filmed in a Tenerife resort! However get out of the resorts and look further than your one euro pint and Tenerife has so much more to offer! It's a lovely place if you care to really get out there and see the real Tenerife! :wink:

golf birdie
16-09-2012, 13:07
same as Blackpool, some of the most beautiful countryside on Gods planet a short drive away. Still never will be 5*.

rosemary
16-09-2012, 13:45
Love it Carpenter!:cheeky::lol: "...you can't polish a turd"! Never heard that one before! Shame if it were true. Is it a fact that people need cheap and tacky still, like they did 40 years ago? I'm not so sure. I still have a firm belief that human beings respond well to beauty, in landscape as well as in buildings and their environment. And that they will react appropriately.
If you build with "respect" and out of a genuine love of your own environment - and not out of greed and corruption (Ha Ha), and maintain properly, people will thankyou for it and treat their surroundings well and will feel the better for it. If you allow buildings to be built that are patently vulgar and tacky and cheap even though they may still cost millions, people still know it. Everyone recognises tacky and cheap.
Let's not forget that Tenerife is growing up. 40 years ago when many of these tourist towns were designed people expected less. The Tourist has also matured, today they demand and expect higher standards, rightly so. Playa del Duque is beautiful. A great example of what can be achieved. Let's have more of it.
Tacky may be old and it may be comfortable but it frankly gives me the creeps.

carpenter
16-09-2012, 16:53
Love it Carpenter!:cheeky::lol: "...you can't polish a turd"! Never heard that one before! Shame if it were true. Is it a fact that people need cheap and tacky still, like they did 40 years ago? I'm not so sure. I still have a firm belief that human beings respond well to beauty, in landscape as well as in buildings and their environment. And that they will react appropriately.
If you build with "respect" and out of a genuine love of your own environment - and not out of greed and corruption (Ha Ha), and maintain properly, people will thankyou for it and treat their surroundings well and will feel the better for it. If you allow buildings to be built that are patently vulgar and tacky and cheap even though they may still cost millions, people still know it. Everyone recognises tacky and cheap.
Let's not forget that Tenerife is growing up. 40 years ago when many of these tourist towns were designed people expected less. The Tourist has also matured, today they demand and expect higher standards, rightly so. Playa del Duque is beautiful. A great example of what can be achieved. Let's have more of it.
Tacky may be old and it may be comfortable but it frankly gives me the creeps.

Sadly i think the damage has been done, irreparable damage at that. The working class, Sun newspaper reading, common man wont have it any other way. Tenerife is Benidorm.

When I moved here I found myself having to stand up for the island to people that screwed their noses up.

Tenerife has been marketed as a drink all you can, eat all you can holiday resort. The timeshare scum have scared away any chance of a respectable image.
The 5* Resorts have seen to it that the illegal unlicensed holiday rentals are shut down thus taking away the bread and butter from the tables of the local businessman after all Tenerife was built on Tourism!

I don't think Tenerife is marketed as a place to explore even with all it's history, I mean who outside of the Canary Isles have heard of the Guanches? Who knew that the folk of La Gomera can communicate by whistling? The history seems to be locked in a vault that is only available to residents. Every time a holiday maker steps outside in Tenerife he/she has to hold onto his/her wallet, PR's, excursion sellers, timeshare scum, mattress tours, Lookie Lookies and then there's the pick pockets.

The beauty of Candelaria, the pyramids of Guimar, the volcanic underground tunnels. Why doesn't anyone that staying in Laguna Park know about any of this?

Prague and Budapest are stunning, their architecture shows their history and passion. You type into google images of either and you see stunning views and architecture you type in Tenerife into google images and you get the mountain, the beach, Dolphins and various complexes is that going to entice anyone? Where is Tenerife history?

I'm honestly surprised that my previous post didn't offend anyone, very glad but surprised :)

Harmonicaman
16-09-2012, 16:58
Sadly i think the damage has been done, irreparable damage at that. The working class, Sun newspaper reading, common man wont have it any other way. Tenerife is Benidorm.

When I moved here I found myself having to stand up for the island to people that screwed their noses up.

Tenerife has been marketed as a drink all you can, eat all you can holiday resort. The timeshare scum have scared away any chance of a respectable image.
The 5* Resorts have seen to it that the illegal unlicensed holiday rentals are shut down thus taking away the bread and butter from the tables of the local businessman after all Tenerife was built on Tourism!

I don't think Tenerife is marketed as a place to explore even with all it's history, I mean who outside of the Canary Isles have heard of the Guanches? Who knew that the folk of La Gomera can communicate by whistling? The history seems to be locked in a vault that is only available to residents. Every time a holiday maker steps outside in Tenerife he/she has to hold onto his/her wallet, PR's, excursion sellers, timeshare scum, mattress tours, Lookie Lookies and then there's the pick pockets.

The beauty of Candelaria, the pyramids of Guimar, the volcanic underground tunnels. Why doesn't anyone that staying in Laguna Park know about any of this?

Prague and Budapest are stunning, their architecture shows their history and passion. You type into google images of either and you see stunning views and architecture you type in Tenerife into google images and you get the mountain, the beach, Dolphins and various complexes is that going to entice anyone? Where is Tenerife history?

I'm honestly surprised that my previous post didn't offend anyone, very glad but surprised :)

It didn't offend me because I think you are spot on in your assessment! And as you rightly point out, it's only people who have been to Tenerife a few times who have ever heard of the history of the Island.

Suej
16-09-2012, 17:08
It didn't offend me because I think you are spot on in your assessment! And as you rightly point out, it's only people who have been to Tenerife a few times who have ever heard of the history of the Island.

Too many of them don't want to know about any history or the beauty of the Island HM! they want exactly what it says on the tin! Sun, sea, booze and a tacky bar with with even takier entertainment! Oh and the 1€ pint and where can they get a huge full english brekka for 2.50€!:cheers:

willowlily
16-09-2012, 17:45
Too many of them don't want to know about any history or the beauty of the Island HM! they want exactly what it says on the tin! Sun, sea, booze and a tacky bar with with even takier entertainment! Oh and the 1€ pint and where can they get a huge full english brekka for 2.50€!:cheers:

and tenerife can cater for that sort of tourism, along with all types of tourism

rosemary
16-09-2012, 17:52
I think Carpenter has nailed it with that post about the lack of history on the island. It's history that brings the cultured middle classes to a holiday island, not cheap booze and sunshine. And Tenerife was (still is I guess) a blank canvas on that score. The Guanches are way too far in the distant past and despite a few pretty Canarian towns and churches there's not a great deal else to interest those of a more "discerning" nature. Mattress tours really are the pits aren't they. What a depressing thought that is. But then I compare it to the Caribbean and sadly they have become an all inclusive nightmare, where it's considered unwise to step outside those armed gates and tales of tourists being shot or hacked to death with machetes by gun crazed crackheads, and where the tour buses disgorge you all for half an hour to trip up overcrowded overhyped waterfalls and get pestered everywhere to buy rubbish and drink yourself stupid in all American type cocktail bars. There could be a lot to be said for simplicity folks, stunning scenery where it is safe to walk alone, friendly villages where people are not out to kill you or rob you, no hurricanes or torrential rains in the rainy seasons, no nasty bugs (a few harmless mossies that don't give you dengue fever) and sun sun the whole year round. So let Tenerife go upmarket a bit, give us a choice of great hotels and beaches and restaurants.
And if you do go island crazy and want some culture how about Greece, they'd love to see you. Athens is chocking on car fumes these days....

cheery
16-09-2012, 17:59
Well, I have heard of the Guanches, I bought a book on them 16 years ago on a trip to Tenerife. I also know about whistling to communicate over on La Gomera from watching the Discovery channel. I think some investment by the Canarian government would be wise to educate the masses about what Tenerife has to offer. I understand the comments regarding the similarity of some holidaymakers in the Benidorm programme but I don;t think that particular Genie can be put back in the bottle. I do believe it is possible to raise the profile of the island and remove the poor perception some may have of it. Advertising in quality European magazines about the area in between PDLA and Los Gigantes for starters which is better than the area from Las Galletas to PDLA. Promote the North more. The first time I went up there I was amazed by the difference in the nationalities and their influence. My friend has lived in Tenerife for over 20 years and made a good living from PDLA but wouldn't live near for the reasons others have stated.

There is a place for everyone on Tenerife, it just depends how you market it. Advertise in The Sun for cheap and cheerful football shirt wearers and advertise in Country Life for people who enjoy walking in the country or want spa hotels and golf holidays. That's my two penn'orth for what it's worth.

marbro8
16-09-2012, 21:05

Stand back, duck, raise shields and wait for counter fire.you may well be right mate, but i ain't short of a bob and i could afford to stay at places like the sir anthony because we did look at booking last year but i ain't got the airs and graces that people like that frequent, i am a down to earth working class bloke that earns a descent living, and i prefer to drink with like minded people, but it doesn't make me a skank, my mate went on the QE2 a few years ago paying the same amount as everyone else and he couldn't wait to get home, he said it was just so snobby, people that are borne with silver spoons in their mouths always look down on the working class even though it is the likes of us that have worked to put them there, up the revolution:D just a little ps carpenter if you stopped the football shirt wearing holiday makers coming to the island then 70% of the bars would close lol so people should be careful what they wish for;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It didn't offend me because I think you are spot on in your assessment! And as you rightly point out, it's only people who have been to Tenerife a few times who have ever heard of the history of the Island.actually hm i found out a lot more about the island today as we spent a few hours on the victory in portsmouth lol, i even gave the guide on the ship a bit of a history lesson because he only knew about how nelson lost his arm;)

rosemary
16-09-2012, 22:36
Have I stepped into Downton Abbey?

marbro8
16-09-2012, 22:54
Have I stepped into Downton Abbey?sorry madam have i offended you with my working class humour?:D

carpenter
16-09-2012, 23:12
It's the 5* hotels that are killing the island which is what I meant by one of my earlier posts. This is skating dangerously close to the illegal lettings thread now. If the 5* hotels get there way, the price of flights will rocket, the cheap private lets will completely disappear. The bar and restaurants will be forced to increase their prices and ultimately close and there will be no common folk left to have a beer with.

Both times I have checked into 5* hotels I couldn't wait to leave. The 1st time I slept on the floor cos the bed was too soft and fancy and the 2nd time I remained completely sober because I had to practically rugby tackle a waiter to get a drink. I don't do posh, I hate even going into El Nogal in La Escalona as it has an air of class about it, I'm completely spit and sawdust, snakebites at dawn, motorbikes outside and rock music on the stage.
But Tenerife hasn't got any of that :(

Ecky Thump
16-09-2012, 23:39
sorry madam have i offended you with my working class humour?:D

The way this thread is heading, we will all be banned from the Island unless we arrive in a British Airways plane and wearing a pin striped suit, with a bowler hat and rolled up Times newspaper. !!

obs
17-09-2012, 00:00
The way this thread is heading, we will all be banned from the Island unless we arrive in a British Airways plane and wearing a pin striped suit, with a bowler hat and rolled up Times newspaper. !!
Excuse me Ecky, but one never rolled ones Times, it was always immaculately folded! :newspaper: :tiphat:

slodgedad
17-09-2012, 00:33
Excuse me Ecky, but one never rolled ones Times, it was always immaculately folded! :newspaper: :tiphat:

And ironed by one's butler

seanocelt
17-09-2012, 02:25
Have I stepped into Downton Abbey?

No. Maybe El Dorado?(80s rubbish TV). Guys, i speak on the mic to over 50 tourists a night but off the mic to at least a half dozen every single night. We aint doin that bad, folks of all wealth denominations still like our island. The pub i work in, despite its location in Las Floritas gets folks from Med Palace, Villa Cortez as well as Oro Blanco etc. Thread title is " Canarian Gov?". Answer is " who knows, but it will not suit everyone".

cheery
17-09-2012, 07:50
Relatives stayed at Bahia del Duque in March and said it was very formal so they are going to Sir Anthony in Ls Cris on Thursday for a week. Some people have told them it is a bit downmarket but there are some very nice areas if you look. Super shops near Monkey bar and grill and some lovely restaurants near the beach a few streets back.

rosemary
17-09-2012, 09:31
What is a "skank"?

Carol55
17-09-2012, 09:53
What is a "skank"?

Urban talk, generally a low life female.:nono:

rosemary
17-09-2012, 10:31
I am expanding my education on this Forum. This thread I should say. The first time I set eyes on Playa Las Americas I thought I'd arrived on a stage set somewhere in Floridaaa but a tackier version of it. And that's what I mean about Tenerife being a blank canvas that could do better. They were obviously copying Floridian architecture but on a poorer scale. Florida has no history (well none to write home about really) but it does do mass tourism brilliantly and people love it. That is what Tenerife could do just as well if it tried harder.
The beer bellies in the US maybe 10 times the size but at least the Americans have the good grace to keep their shirts on. Respect for others feelings maybe? Respect for themselves? ???

Suej
17-09-2012, 12:01
I agree with the OP Tenerife will never become a 5 star destination! but all in all there are far worse places people could go to to live or take a holiday! :sunshine:

Sundowner
17-09-2012, 12:02
I think Canarian government are right to put some 5* into their Tenerife holiday offerings.

But I don't think they are trying to change the whole island into a 5* resort.

To be able to offer 5-4-3-2-1* holidays, taps into a bigger pool of holiday makers.

It,s a format that has worked well in Majorca/Mallorca.

There will always be people who want budget holidays and also people who want a bit more luxury! It makes sense to me to provide for as wide a range of needs as possible.

Suej
17-09-2012, 12:05
I think Canarian government are right to put some 5* into their Tenerife holiday offerings.

But I don't think they are trying to change the whole island into a 5* resort.

To be able to offer 5-4-3-2-1* holidays, taps into a bigger pool of holiday makers.

It,s a format that has worked well in Majorca/Mallorca.

There will always be people who want budget holidays and also people who want a bit more luxury! It makes sense to me to provide for as wide a range of needs as possible.

The problem I can see here though sundowner is it is not cheap to come here anymore! I can't believe how much flights have gone up this last year!:wow:

rosemary
17-09-2012, 12:41
Do we really need 1 or 2 star hotels? Aren't they a thing of the past? Majorca (God's beautiful island) is now ruinous in some areas just because of them. So are most of the Costas on the mainland. Ibiza is a tragedy. If you provide crap you get crap. And I am not talking "class" here. I just like cleanliness on the streets, no vomit thankyou, no drunken foul mouthed youth, no glaringly aggressive tatooed beer bellies on display.
I simply don't see the need to pander to the lowest elements in society. Neither do I like prententious Lady Mary wannabees at my table. It's bad enough havig wannabee celebrities.

Carol55
17-09-2012, 12:55
Do we really need 1 or 2 star hotels? Aren't they a thing of the past? Majorca (God's beautiful island) is now ruinous in some areas just because of them. So are most of the Costas on the mainland. Ibiza is a tragedy. If you provide crap you get crap. And I am not talking "class" here. I just like cleanliness on the streets, no vomit thankyou, no drunken foul mouthed youth, no glaringly aggressive tatooed beer bellies on display.
I simply don't see the need to pander to the lowest elements in society. Neither do I like prententious Lady Mary wannabees at my table. It's bad enough havig wannabee celebrities.

British Airways fly to UTOPIA....at a price!!:cheeky:

Sundowner
17-09-2012, 16:06
The problem I can see here though sundowner is it is not cheap to come here anymore! I can't believe how much flights have gone up this last year!:wow:

I checked skyscanner for Oct, Nov, and early December all less than £120 and also end of Feb 2013. That is flying from London airports.

I always try to visit outside peak times, so not too bad really.

Suej
17-09-2012, 16:10
I checked skyscanner for Oct, Nov, and early December all less than £120 and also end of Feb 2013. That is flying from London airports.

I always try to visit outside peak times, so not too bad really.

Cheapest return I could find for a relative for Nov 2nd from Stanstead was £229! which last year was 149 quid! I don't know where you fly from Sundowner? was that Gatwick?

LUCKY
17-09-2012, 17:47
:feret:
Cheapest return I could find for a relative for Nov 2nd from Stanstead was £229! which last year was 149 quid! I don't know where you fly from Sundowner? was that Gatwick? LBA was a lot cheaper for thursday 1st November.:flatcap:

Suej
17-09-2012, 17:50
:feret: LBA was a lot cheaper for thursday 1st November.:flatcap:

What or where is LBA Lucky???

Steve 1968
17-09-2012, 18:01
What or where is LBA Lucky???

LBA is Leeds Bradford airport. No train station nearby so if you don't have your own transport it's a real chore getting there.

On the subject of flight prices you're absolutely right - in comparison to last year we've had to pay through the nose to get to TFS this year - we hung on as long as we could to fly from Newcastle at the end of next week and eventually had to pay £459 return EACH for flight only. Problem seems to be that many of the former low cost operators are now pushing their own line in holidays so it appears to push the cost of simply buying a seat on the plane up. We've already booked for next May and managed to get a return for £240 but already next September is over £300 return with Jet2.

Obviously the more flexibility you have with choice of airport and date of travel means you can probably shop around for a decent deal but the low prices seem to be something of a myth this year compared to previous years.

LUCKY
17-09-2012, 18:05
What or where is LBA Lucky??? its an airport in Yorkshire :flatcap::feret:Leeds Bradford Airport its north of Watford:feret:

Suej
17-09-2012, 18:30
Ha Ha!!! A bit too far a way from London! Has to be Stanstead! but thanks anyway Lucky!:lol::flatcap:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

LBA is Leeds Bradford airport. No train station nearby so if you don't have your own transport it's a real chore getting there.

On the subject of flight prices you're absolutely right - in comparison to last year we've had to pay through the nose to get to TFS this year - we hung on as long as we could to fly from Newcastle at the end of next week and eventually had to pay £459 return EACH for flight only. Problem seems to be that many of the former low cost operators are now pushing their own line in holidays so it appears to push the cost of simply buying a seat on the plane up. We've already booked for next May and managed to get a return for £240 but already next September is over £300 return with Jet2.

Obviously the more flexibility you have with choice of airport and date of travel means you can probably shop around for a decent deal but the low prices seem to be something of a myth this year compared to previous years.

London Gatwick is even too far it's a two hour drive! it has to be from Stanstead! Very expensive!eek2:

warbey
17-09-2012, 19:33
I think this is a fabulous Idea.

Are We expected to believe this load of 5* Tosh.

We should support it though, because think of a 5* Infrastructure.

NO Lookie Lookie, No Chinese. No P.R.s. Titsa Buses going along the Prom in L.A. and so much more.

No Concrete shells masquerading as a Bar, overflowing with eight Tables and 12 more Outside.

This is not Tenerife, this is Cloud Cuckoo Land.!

Sundowner
18-09-2012, 10:28
Cheapest return I could find for a relative for Nov 2nd from Stanstead was £229! which last year was 149 quid! I don't know where you fly from Sundowner? was that Gatwick?

Showing on Skyscanner at the moment STN to TFS 2/11/12 06.40 departure
TFS to GTW 16/11/12 18.55 departure £124 return

Also showing STN to TFS
TFS to STN £150 for same dates

Also if you change your flight to midweek it will be cheaper.

Suej
18-09-2012, 11:27
Showing on Skyscanner at the moment STN to TFS 2/11/12 06.40 departure
TFS to GTW 16/11/12 18.55 departure £124 return

Also showing STN to TFS
TFS to STN £150 for same dates

Also if you change your flight to midweek it will be cheaper.

Thanks so much for looking for me Sundowner!!! Unfortunately she can only travel from Stanstead and the flight times means that she won't get a lift to airport! with everything added on luggage/Admin and CCard fees it isn't much under 200 quid anyway. It's more a case of a fussy passenger tbh! rolleyes2::thanx:

cheery
18-09-2012, 12:32
I know of at least 6 different couples or families from across the spectrum who have been or coming to Tenerife in the last/next few weeks. We are coming in 2 1/2 weeks and are in the mid range of that group. So Tenerife has an appeal for everybody and long may it continue. This trip won't be much more than a relaxing holiday with few if any trips as it is our first holiday for 3 years since setting up our own business. Rest assured the restaurants will be frequented and bars patronised though!

Foz
29-09-2012, 18:19
In my mind, Tenerife's main industry is tourism. Surely the best way for the island to prosper is to offer different things for different people. Yes to 5* hotels like in the del Duque area and Abama etc ..... but also to offer rural retreats, camping/hiking holidays, self catering, package holidays, there are so many differing types of holidays sort by holiday makers .. Tenerife needs to tap into as many as it possibly can. By closing their eyes to various areas of tourism, Tenerife will just stunt it's potential growth.

rosemary
30-09-2012, 15:13
I know a couple who have loads of dosh, they are young middle aged, grown up kids, word very long hours and holiday in all the trendy hotspots 5 * plus and never move from the pool. But they have never been to Tenerife. All round the Med. Dubai, the Caribbean but never to Tenerife. The reason? They don't like the tatoo brigade. That's what they say.
But, do they know Playa del Duque I ask? No. What I am saying is that there is undoubtedly a snob appeal in holidays and Tenerife just aint got it. NOT YET! IMO it is coming up slowly. It simply needs a few mainstream media articles from the upmarket magazines and newspapers and all will be revealed. There is sooo much this beautiful island can offer. The top hotels here are fabulous. Just not enough major publicity and I see nothing wrong with trying to change the overall image of Tenerife . I agree, with the right marketing Tenerife coud have it all. All year round! Good luk to them I say.

JillADavidson
02-10-2012, 22:49
Hi all. Coming from the Blackpool area, I feel that I am well qualified to regard PDLA as "Blackpool with sunshine". I wouldn't stay there. But I do have a couple of observations to contribute to this thread.

1. The Las Madrigueras Hotel is marketed as a smart hotel (possibly 5*) with immediate access to the golf course in PDLA. I am sure that it is very expensive. But whenever I have played the golf course, the noise coming out of the pool area is horrendous; I would be very disappointed to pay for a 5* hotel and then be driven away from the pool by the 3* entertainments team.

2. I spend my holidays in Golf del Sur, San Miguel de Abona. I have seen street sweepers making sure that the pavements are immaculately clean in the upper part of San Miguel, there is obviously civic pride. But the public car park adjacent to my hotel is filthy, full of rubbish, much but not all of which is caused by the weekly market. In all the years I have been visiting the resort, I have never seen anyone attempting to clean it up. Sadly it seems that the civic pride does not extend to this tourist area, and without it the resort is unlikely to smarten up.

Fivepence
03-10-2012, 01:23
I have not been on the island for 4 years, the last time I was there was November 2008, and I miss it.
I can relate to everything that has been said in this thread to date.
Like Marbro8, I could afford to stay in the 'more up market' places but do I want to is the question.
As I said in my intro, I have been visiting the island since 1992 and as finances improved visited twice a year, usually in March and November.
I have had some great times with both the tattoo brigade and the more refined holiday makers, if I can refer to them as such. Just because you like a cheap pint and have a tattoo doesn't mean you are unsociable, just as staying in a 5* hotel means you are not an annoying g*bsh**e.
All inclusive is a threat because it kills the activity outside the complex, as I witnessed in Cala Millor.
The beauty of Tenerife for me is, if I want to eat at El Molino Blanco, Avenida de Austria, 5 ,San Eugenio Alto or Raymond 1, Calle General Franco, Los Cristianos, I can and I enjoy both.
I can go to the Monkey Bar or The Claddagh and enjoy both.
In short, Tenerife is a fabulous holiday destination that caters for all but if you don't like something move on and find what you like, it's there somewhere!
Sorry for the essay. :redcard:

Medanoman
03-10-2012, 02:15
The 5 star thing has long been the goal of the Cabildo, in fact over the last 6 or 7 years planning permissions were only ever granted if they are 5 star. But Tour operators are savage beasts. They want 5 star for the cost of a 3 star.

Over the last few years Tenerife had a wonderful opportunity to really capture market. All the local politicians were patting themselves on the back because the tourist numbers were going up but there were a number of reasons for the small increase in tourists that no one seems to want to mention.

Tenerife benefited from the shut down of North Africa, Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt due to the political unrest in those countries and the unfortunate demise of Libya as Africa's wealthiest nation. All those nations supplied beds in the 4 and 5 star market and when Tour operators had those winter destinations closed to them they were left with nothing else but the Canaries for winter sun. As a result passenger numbers went up almost 10%. but The stupid cabildo should have withdrawn the airport subsidies then because they were not needed as we were in the enviable situation of being the only winter short or mid haul destination open... Now of course, Egypt and Morocco are back up and running and are in direct competition to the canaries. Just when we really need the low airport taxes there arn´t any at all. 5 star is nice, but if a tour operator can get 5 quid a head more sending people to Timbuktu he will. Tenerife will find it hard to compete with the 5 star resorts of abudabi, Sharm el shiek et al .

Dan747
03-10-2012, 02:26
Tenerife benefited from the shut down of North Africa, Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt due to the political unrest in those countries and the unfortunate demise of Libya as Africa's wealthiest nation. All those nations supplied beds in the 4 and 5 star market and when Tour operators had those winter destinations closed to them they were left with nothing else but the Canaries for winter sun. As a result passenger numbers went up almost 10%. but The stupid cabildo should have withdrawn the airport subsidies then because they were not needed as we were in the enviable situation of being the only winter short or mid haul destination open... Now of course, Egypt and Morocco are back up and running and are in direct competition to the canaries. Just when we really need the low airport taxes there arn´t any at all. 5 star is nice, but if a tour operator can get 5 quid a head more sending people to Timbuktu he will. Tenerife will find it hard to compete with the 5 star resorts of abudabi, Sharm el shiek et al .

Quite right, Tenerife missed a big opportunity to acquire some of the North Africa going customers on a permanent basis.

Despite the higher air fares to the likes of Egypt, the 5* brigade still see Sharm el Shiek as a more luxury holiday than Tenerife, the opportunity while they avoided Egypt etc was to show them that Tenerife was able to compete and offer the 5* luxury they wanted, sadly it doesn't seem to have happened and the boat has sailed, with those passengers now returning to Sharm given the political situation has settled somewhat.

Medanoman
03-10-2012, 02:59
Its very hard for Tenerife to beat those nations on perceived value for money. Here there are European wages to pay and the staff to client ratio is impossible for hotels here to match. for every member of staff employed here there are 5 in Egypt. What is needed is a hook..Perhaps the new Formula 1 circuit would do the job of getting the 5 star crowd here. But 5 star on the cheap isn´t 5 star.

cheery
03-10-2012, 08:41
Anyone who has been to Egypt will tell you that there is a big difference in standards at the same supposed level of stars. Unless you are talking Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton in Sharm, the hotels at the 3-4 level are not what Europeans expect. I know people who went to Egypt thinking they had a bargain and the hotel was a hovel. For the same money a good hotel could be had. We have stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay twice, once on the old side and once on the new. It might as well be two different hotels. We wouldn't dream of complaining about standards of a 4 star hotel in Tenerife as the 4 would be higher in real terms.

Family members have been to Tenerife twice this year, once to Bahia del Duque and last week to Sir Anthony. The first hotel would be up with the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton but for a ridiculous price, out of my pocket certainly. Then just supposing you fancied eating out, the choice in Tenerife is far greater, and you get to pit your wits against the looky looky men! That said, people who stay at those type of hotel tend to only stay around the pool anyway so it doesn't really matter what the surrounding area is like.

Muppet
03-10-2012, 08:44
The removal of airport subsidies was not the Tenerife, or Canarian Governments doing. The funding came from Madrid and applied to Spanish airports generally, even so, as time moves on and flying gets more and more expensive, all holiday destinations will be affected similarly.

Back to the original question though - are they wrong to be trying to move toward the 5* holiday experience? No, not really, it is their country and tourism is their primary industry. If you were to ask whether there is enough experience within the Government to be able to achieve their objective, or for that matter resource, - I'd also suggest No would be the answer.

nelson
03-10-2012, 11:09
the government is wrong to try to make tenerife a 5 star resort because it should not be the business of any democratic government to run the economy. When governments make it their business to try to plan and direct dynamic economies they always end up completely messing up everything. This was the case with all communist planned economies , the old soviet block was a backward miserable hellhole, until the whole system completely collasped and went bust. Today we can see North korea as the only remaining planned econmoy in the world, a terrible human disaster.

Tourism is the canaries prime industry, but as to deciding what type of customer is welcome, well that is best left to natural evolution and market economics. The problem in tenerife is that the hotel lobby group can exert un due pressure and power on the government. This is the reason there has been this desire to go for 5 stars. From a hotel owner point of view this would make a lot of sense, high spending guests would make the hotel a lot more profit than cheap as chips low margin if any AI deals. Tenerife is struggling with lower footfall than its heyday and the alternative competing destinations for low cost packages are more numerous. If tenerife hotels could tap into the exclusive 5 star market for there own good it would certainly make sense. However how would that scenario leave the rest of the resort? Would it be a case of boom for the hotels but bust for the rest of the resorts business's?

For the tenerife government to support this sort of plan is very much ill advised. It sounds like daft central economic planning , but with at the heart of it a desire to help one sector of the economy, the hotels. That mentality and abuse of power, is unlikely to benefit the whole of the population and economy on the island.

cheery
03-10-2012, 11:16
As others have posted , why not try and attract as wide a market as possible? PDLA and Los Cris for average families. Adeje and Fanabe for wealthier clients. I don't see a problem with that, in fact it is quite nice for ordinary tourists like me to wander upmarket and treat myself at Fanabe outlets. Then, when I don't feel like spending so much return back to cheaper areas.

nelson
03-10-2012, 11:41
whats wrong with that is the hotel mafia can not make it pay with the tatto brigade cheap tourists. If they could make money on that format, and they did in the past, well there would be no need for the new 5 star vision of tourism at all. what we are seeing is natural market change and evolution. Low wage areas of the world driving down package rates. there are many new destinations that were not available years ago. The hotel mafia on tenerife with their influence over the government are trying to save themselves from this natural downturn. At the end of the day they are probabley correct in their assesment, they are never going to get back to their heyday based on the old model of cheap mass tourist. By trying to move to 5 star tourist maybe they can build a niche for the future.

In reality this desire has to be brought to reality, how do they do that? Enforce 3 star hotels to 5 star standard? Whilst the government is hell bent on taking this road they are ignoring beeneficial changes that would come if they left the market to evolve. If the government did not try to develop a policy that helped just the hotels, then they may find that the economy quite naturally evolved to cope with the changes in tourism. This might be less hotels and more self catering, but the market would change naturally and the economy would grow strongly in another direction to the hotel focus. There would always be many hotels, but the government is deluding itself if it thinks it can help them all indefinitley. The average families you speak of in pdla and los cristo are very valuble to many business's in those resorts. The truth is because they are not helping the hotels make profits, the government and the hotels want them gone and the new weathy customers in.

Muppet
03-10-2012, 13:41
whats wrong with that is the hotel mafia can not make it pay with the tatto brigade cheap tourists. If they could make money on that format, and they did in the past, well there would be no need for the new 5 star vision of tourism at all. what we are seeing is natural market change and evolution. Low wage areas of the world driving down package rates. there are many new destinations that were not available years ago. The hotel mafia on tenerife with their influence over the government are trying to save themselves from this natural downturn. At the end of the day they are probabley correct in their assesment, they are never going to get back to their heyday based on the old model of cheap mass tourist. By trying to move to 5 star tourist maybe they can build a niche for the future.

In reality this desire has to be brought to reality, how do they do that? Enforce 3 star hotels to 5 star standard? Whilst the government is hell bent on taking this road they are ignoring beeneficial changes that would come if they left the market to evolve. If the government did not try to develop a policy that helped just the hotels, then they may find that the economy quite naturally evolved to cope with the changes in tourism. This might be less hotels and more self catering, but the market would change naturally and the economy would grow strongly in another direction to the hotel focus. There would always be many hotels, but the government is deluding itself if it thinks it can help them all indefinitley. The average families you speak of in pdla and los cristo are very valuble to many business's in those resorts. The truth is because they are not helping the hotels make profits, the government and the hotels want them gone and the new weathy customers in.

But Nelson, as has been said on your other favourite thread, tourist numbers (therefore foot-fall) is not down as you keep saying, it is up on previous levels - in fact numbers are still at record breaking levels and projections are for this trend to continue.

The drive toward the 5 star offer is not new either, it has been the plan for many years as others have already said, in fact, to a large degree the 1995 laws designed to bring some control to the holiday market, making it illegal to privately let residential property were introduced as the beginnings of the up-market push.

The Canarian Government is, I believe, fully aware of the need for alternatives to the 5-star offer, and has legislated so that it has some control of the alternatives so as to prevent it developing into a free for all which it had been doing.

Where the Government here has arguably gone wrong is to assume that the rise in tourist numbers has come from the overall Canarian offer and not as a result of external influences such as unrest in other popular places for winter sunshine. They have somewhat sat on their backsides and claimed (to themselves at least) that the numbers are up because of something they have done!

The current good-times may well not last for ever, and they should have been investing heavily in the touristic infra-structure whilst the going is/was good. Road building, refurbishment of the old and tired complex blocks and so on. To an extent, areas like PDLA and Los Cristianos have been invested in and there are lots of attractive coast paths and other areas which have benefitted, but they have failed to look further away from the main resorts and there are other areas which are stuck in the 60s and 70s and in desperate need of some tarting up.

The forthcoming modifications to the letting laws seem to include powers to force the refurbishment of the older eye-sores which will go some way toward their goals of dragging the Canaries into this Centuary

nelson
03-10-2012, 15:07
But Nelson, as has been said on your other favourite thread, tourist numbers (therefore foot-fall) is not down as you keep saying, it is up on previous levels - in fact numbers are still at record breaking levels and projections are for this trend to continue.

The drive toward the 5 star offer is not new either, it has been the plan for many years as others have already said, in fact, to a large degree the 1995 laws designed to bring some control to the holiday market, making it illegal to privately let residential property were introduced as the beginnings of the up-market push.

The Canarian Government is, I believe, fully aware of the need for alternatives to the 5-star offer, and has legislated so that it has some control of the alternatives so as to prevent it developing into a free for all which it had been doing.

Where the Government here has arguably gone wrong is to assume that the rise in tourist numbers has come from the overall Canarian offer and not as a result of external influences such as unrest in other popular places for winter sunshine. They have somewhat sat on their backsides and claimed (to themselves at least) that the numbers are up because of something they have done!

The current good-times may well not last for ever, and they should have been investing heavily in the touristic infra-structure whilst the going is/was good. Road building, refurbishment of the old and tired complex blocks and so on. To an extent, areas like PDLA and Los Cristianos have been invested in and there are lots of attractive coast paths and other areas which have benefitted, but they have failed to look further away from the main resorts and there are other areas which are stuck in the 60s and 70s and in desperate need of some tarting up.

The forthcoming modifications to the letting laws seem to include powers to force the refurbishment of the older eye-sores which will go some way toward their goals of dragging the Canaries into this Centuary

now now muppet, this is not my favourite thread , so please stay on topic . clamping down on private illegal renters is a good example of the hotels having undue influence with the government, but not really that relevant on this thread. As I say, the whole natural evolution of tourism is not something the government should consider it can control. In my opinion it is outside its sensible remmit when it even begins to try to do this. The desire to go 5 stars, which agreed has existed for a number of years , is just a narrow policy to help the hotels at the expense of all other considerations, because the hotels have too much power with the government.

A 5 star island would be the best result for the hotels, but not any good for the rest of the populations welfare.

BobMac
03-10-2012, 15:30
Quite right, Tenerife missed a big opportunity to acquire some of the North Africa going customers on a permanent basis.

Despite the higher air fares to the likes of Egypt, the 5* brigade still see Sharm el Shiek as a more luxury holiday than Tenerife, the opportunity while they avoided Egypt etc was to show them that Tenerife was able to compete and offer the 5* luxury they wanted, sadly it doesn't seem to have happened and the boat has sailed, with those passengers now returning to Sharm given the political situation has settled somewhat.

If you have to travel in school holidays, Tenerife is as expensive as any of them, eg October half term holiday this year is just under £500 for an adult return flight and they go up from that point.

Dan747
03-10-2012, 20:22
Travel anywhere during the school holidays and the fares are sky high, that's always to be expected. However due to the higher taxes for flights to Egypt, on the whole, the flights there generally are more expensive.

BobMac
03-10-2012, 20:27
Travel anywhere during the school holidays and the fares are sky high, that's always to be expected. However due to the higher taxes for flights to Egypt, on the whole, the flights there generally are more expensive.

There's more to it than that.

We were in Tenerife at Easter during the school holidays and our flights were half the price then compared to October half term prices for the same flights.

To put the prices in context, for the October half term, we have booked a B&B package with flights at a 4* hotel in Lagos on the Algarve for £200 less than the cost of the flight only price to Tenerife for the same dates.

Muppet
03-10-2012, 21:40
now now muppet, this is not my favourite thread , so please stay on topic . clamping down on private illegal renters is a good example of the hotels having undue influence with the government, but not really that relevant on this thread. As I say, the whole natural evolution of tourism is not something the government should consider it can control. In my opinion it is outside its sensible remmit when it even begins to try to do this. The desire to go 5 stars, which agreed has existed for a number of years , is just a narrow policy to help the hotels at the expense of all other considerations, because the hotels have too much power with the government.

A 5 star island would be the best result for the hotels, but not any good for the rest of the populations welfare.

Whilst initially a little off topic I simply have to come back to you on this.

In virtually every country of the world, the Government retains some control over the greatest asset(s) of the land, or important services that keep their countries functioning.

In the Middle East the Oil industry is a prime example, in the UK the Royal Mail is still a state run operation, although this is due to change. The Belgian state still owns and operates its trains, as do the Swiss.

In the Canaries and the Balaerics the Governments do not own the tourist industries as such, but since tourism is pretty much the only industry there is, they have implimented varying degrees of control over their (virtually) only asset - they have every right to do so, even if, in the opinion of some who have fallen foul of these controls, think they are wrong because the plans don't suit them.

It is the way it is - simples.

If the Canarian Government wish to try to shed the Tenerife Uncovered image (circa late 80s early 90s) and move toward a 5*, or at least upper end tourism market then that is their choice to do so. Those of us who live here know full well it is a bit of a pipe dream, and the job will likely never be finished in our life-times because of the damage that has taken place throughout them so far, but the work that has been done in Las Americas for example has moved the area so much further forward. Same is true of Fanabe and parts of Los Cristianos.

The mistake the Government has made is failing to capitalize on the record breaking number of visitors that have travelled to the islands in the past 2 or 3 years because of troubles else where in the world. They spent a fortune flashing images of Tenerife onto a wall during the Olympics and during the Jubilee celebrations thinking the entire UK would be impressed and moved to visit.

As you well know (to your cost), today's most effective methods of publicity have moved on to on-line and other similar directions, my earlier comment as to whether those in the appropriate offices in Government actually understand this, or are capable of capitalising on it is an entirely different question.

The vast majority of the advertising for the islands is done by the tour operators themselves, so it is not entirely surprising they are seeking to get a return for their advertising and marketing investment and, together with the hotel owners, get a bit peeved when confronted with the below the line tourist industry that has evolved. It is for this reason the Government will always want and need to retain some control over the standards of accomodation available - as per the new proposals which appear to empower the Government to demand complex owners to undertake refurbishment programmes, it is all part of moving tourism in the Canaries forward and all for the overall benifit of the Country as a whole.

It doesn't suit some, others simply cannot understand why what amounts to Quality Control is seen by those in power here as essential, but the 5* goal is there and they are aiming at it. The original question of this thread was whether this is wrong and/or a bad move. I don't think so, capitalising on what is pretty much your only asset - weather - seems the right thing to do and probably the only option for survival - particularly since the Canaries "Parents" (as in mainland Spain) is cutting and cutting again its support budgets and will take years, even decades, to get back on its feet.

nelson
04-10-2012, 08:20
I think you are plain wrong about all governments around the world having control over their main asset. That would apply only to the bad examples of soviet era planned countries and yes your feudal arab oil economies. Its more sinister than that in the canaries. Here the hotel lobby is the voice of government. Their current 5 star vision is what the hotels see as best for them alone. Agreed they may never see this fantasy materialise , but having a democratic government acting for one sector of the tourist industry is not going to ever produce economic welfare for the rest of society. This is a classic spanish situation, this was the case decades ago before the dictatorship. Economic policy that would potentially benefit some but may well disadvantage the greater majority. Dynamic economies free to move with the markets deliver the best results for whole of society. save us all from the plans and schemes of governments.

willowlily
04-10-2012, 09:33

i think the canarian government should be very careful what it wishes for
5* would bring in a very small portion of wealth at the moment, better not to neglect the bread and butter clients and look at the 5* as the very small cherry on top.

Medanoman
04-10-2012, 09:56
I see the crux of the problem as this...5 star hotels invariably mean that they are big multinational hotel chains whereas self catering, rural tourism type packages are in the hands of small private concerns.

Politically speaking, it will always be easier for the 5 star multinational hotel chain, come lobbyists to provide free "fact finding" missions to local politicians in 5 star hotels in the Caribbean to see how they do it , rather than give them a kiss me quick hat and a bacon sarnie in Skegness.

Again there is a hidden agenda here that no one talks about. The Special Canarian Tax Zone, means that new hotel chains can move in and only pay 4% corporation tax if they know what they are doing , and you can bet they do. The tax savings are enormous. But do they help the local economy? Perhaps not after all that corporation tax is given back.

Those big 5 star hotels might look nice, but the revenue they generate is whisked off shore faster than a rat up a drain pipe. Canarian ( see ZEC taxation http://www.zec.org/en/) tax rules meaning that they can save millions on corporation tax, Whereas small self catering, rural tourism type packages generate revenue that stays in the local economy but has very few tax breaks at all..

A cynic would think that the politicians are enjoying every minute of their 5 star promotion.

nelson
04-10-2012, 11:54
all this desire for 5 star is simply because the hotels on tenerife can not today make money on the tattoo brigade. They did years ago, but given the international competition and AI deals , they simply can not make those customers pay. Wishing for 5 stars is a narrow vision and can help only the hotels if this dream ever became reality. The government is being led along by the hotels in following this plan , they can not have considered the rest of their economy in any of this.

Muppet
04-10-2012, 12:17
I think you are plain wrong about all governments around the world having control over their main asset. That would apply only to the bad examples of soviet era planned countries and yes your feudal arab oil economies. Its more sinister than that in the canaries. Here the hotel lobby is the voice of government. Their current 5 star vision is what the hotels see as best for them alone. Agreed they may never see this fantasy materialise , but having a democratic government acting for one sector of the tourist industry is not going to ever produce economic welfare for the rest of society. This is a classic spanish situation, this was the case decades ago before the dictatorship. Economic policy that would potentially benefit some but may well disadvantage the greater majority. Dynamic economies free to move with the markets deliver the best results for whole of society. save us all from the plans and schemes of governments.

There have to be controls, especially where members of the public are involved. In this case where the reputation of the tourist industry and future of it could be at stake - otherwise total chaos will prevail and maybe worse like accidents.

Anyway - thats enough

rosemary
13-05-2014, 13:14
I think the idea of making these islands more upmarket is inevitable. It's the way the world is going now. But the idea of there being ONLY 5 star is unrealistic and unnecessary. By all means pull down all the old unsightly and worn out complexes and replace with more modern and more attractive apartments for families. Get rid of the fish n chip and tatty British pie and mash cafes IF they are old fashioned. Nought wrong with fish n chips and pie and mash if it is done in style. Improve roads and amenities. Clean and power wash the filthy pavements every night. Have more café outside culture with professional staff and great coffee and pastries. Let the tapas places do their thing as long as they do it well and with a modern approach. Raise the still very poor levels of customer service. Mercadona Take note - you can lose the will to live at your fresh fish counter and the customer here is the last on their list of priorities!
Beautiful community gardens and great sculpture .. beautiful clean beaches with good facilities and safety guards. All these simple things attract more money to the islands. because when it becomes an attractive place to spend your days and not somewhere full of cheap cafes with second rate staff and third rate food, it will thrive on the tourist scene.