PDA

View Full Version : Ladybirds wanted as a natural pesticide. Where can I get some in Tenerife?

Shyandon
16-09-2012, 17:04
My husband is a keen gardener (no mean feat here in Tenerife!) He is having a big problem with aphids and I've heard that putting ladybirds on your plants is a good defence.
Does anyone know if there is somewhere in Tenerife where we could buy ladybirds for this purpose? My husband is a nature lover, so he prefers not to use insecticides as he finds them inhumane so maybe this is our only option, unless any kind forum members have any other advice?

Ecky Thump
16-09-2012, 17:23
My husband is a keen gardener (no mean feat here in Tenerife!) He is having a big problem with aphids and I've heard that putting ladybirds on your plants is a good defence.
Does anyone know if there is somewhere in Tenerife where we could buy ladybirds for this purpose? My husband is a nature lover, so he prefers not to use insecticides as he finds them inhumane so maybe this is our only option, unless any kind forum members have any other advice?

Spray your plants with a weak solution of washing up liquid, it always works for me, the little blighters don't like it.:crying2:

Suej
16-09-2012, 17:28
Spray your plants with a weak solution of washing up liquid, it always works for me, the little blighters don't like it.:crying2:

Have to agree with that Ecky! although caterpillers - the little blighters are really persistant!

Shyandon
16-09-2012, 18:58
Thank you, we'll try that! Bloody caterpillars-can never seem to catch them, we just wake up to pretty patterns on the leaves! Grrrr...:twak: