PDA

View Full Version : Other Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria versus Playa de las Americas, Tenerife

mini--c
16-09-2012, 17:56
Been meaning to do this for awhile now so here go's. I have been to tenerife 3 times now in the past 6 years and this summer I went to puerto rico and the difference I'm afraid to say is unbelievable. I think las americas needs to change alot as I feel it has turned into a horrible place and compared to puerto rico its a even worse place. First I think tenerife needs to get rid of the hookers on the corners everynight, in the ten days in rico i never seen one! Then as for lucky lucky men they need to be kept from going into bars, and restaurants and hassling people who are paying the wage of the bar owners, in rico they are not allowed into the bars and in the ten days I seen about 5 of them and not one of them hassled me! PR's in tenerife are a joke they turn more people away from bars then get them in, there are some in rico but a no and your done no hassle! The beach is so clean and there are no sellers allowed onto it. I have to say I dont think I would return to tenerife after been to rico there is just too much wrong with tenerife that I have noticed after been to rico.

I dont mean to offend anyone by this its just my review.

cheery
16-09-2012, 18:12
Oh dear, will anyone from the tourism office read this and see what appears to be a problem?

mini--c
16-09-2012, 18:14
em no but maybe a bar owner or 2 mite and maybe tell the prs to **** off or even better the lucky lucky men

fionaeliotjones
16-09-2012, 18:23
I went to Puerto Rico in July and in my opinion I thought it was a dump (apart from where I was). I stayed opposite the Marina and it was a lovely area and excellent restaurants nearby. The rest of it was hilly and as for eating in a Shopping Centre that was a joke, wouldn't even think about it.

Tenerife beats it hands down!!

mini--c
16-09-2012, 18:33
Did you seen any hookers? Or when you where eating was there any lucky lucky men hassling you to buy there rubbish?

DeedeeTipperary
16-09-2012, 18:40
I think Puerto Rico must have changed in the last couple of years because the Puerto Rico that I remember was a concrete block with tormenting PRs outside every bar and restaurant we passed. And the chinese ladies selling stupid kids toys tormented the heck out of us in every bar and restaurant we went into all night every night . The Lucky Lucky lads were all over the Commercial Centre and my husband was approached a couple of nights by ladies of the night when walking back from the pub after we had gone on ahead . Tenerife has its problems like any holiday resort but to say it is worse than PR is wrong . Give me Tenerife any time over PR .

willowlily
16-09-2012, 18:47
Been meaning to do this for awhile now so here go's. I have been to tenerife 3 times now in the past 6 years and this summer I went to puerto rico and the difference I'm afraid to say is unbelievable. I think las americas needs to change alot as I feel it has turned into a horrible place and compared to puerto rico its a even worse place. First I think tenerife needs to get rid of the hookers on the corners everynight, in the ten days in rico i never seen one! Then as for lucky lucky men they need to be kept from going into bars, and restaurants and hassling people who are paying the wage of the bar owners, in rico they are not allowed into the bars and in the ten days I seen about 5 of them and not one of them hassled me! PR's in tenerife are a joke they turn more people away from bars then get them in, there are some in rico but a no and your done no hassle! The beach is so clean and there are no sellers allowed onto it. I have to say I dont think I would return to tenerife after been to rico there is just too much wrong with tenerife that I have noticed after been to rico.

which puerto rico are we we talking about the only one i know is an island off miami,

AL JAY
16-09-2012, 19:23
which puerto rico are we we talking about the only one i know is an island off miami,

I assume he is talking about Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria,im afraid it doesn't compare to Tenerife,if i remember correctly you were advised on here by a few not to stay in your chosen (cheap tacky location with horrendous reviews on Tripadvisor) because of certain problems, you could have taken the advice on here and not seen a hooker for the duration of your holiday! Simples!

i love the beach
16-09-2012, 19:26
Please tell us why you are on a Tenerife Forum if you dislike it so much ? Strange !

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Please tell us why you are on a Tenerife Forum if you dislike it so much ? Strange !

blondie
16-09-2012, 19:33

Well wehave been to Puerto Rico twice and Tenerife over 50 times , says it all really. we were visiting it from a cruiseship both times and each time went back to ship early. We saw nothing which would entice us back for a holiday as other islands did, it was a concrete jungle , and not a pretty one at that. So it just goes to prove we are alllooking for something different from a a holiday and for us, Tenerife has it all.

warbey
16-09-2012, 19:50

We all think differently.

The Puerto Rico I went to was a pleasant Place which took about Half an Hour to go round.
So there isnt enough there worth selling to if You were a Lucky Lucky Man.

After almost 20 Years visiting Tenerife South, I am still finding Places and People worth visiting.
so I'm afraid Ive got to say, Thanks but no thanks.

minimadmandy
16-09-2012, 22:33
I found this post quite interesting as we have had winter holidays in Puerto RICO for 20 years from in our early 20's. We really loved the place, not a concrete jungle at all and loads to do and long walks to take along the seafront to Playa Amadores. We also had two more recent visits to Los Cristianos in Tenerife. Two years ago we decided to buy an apartment and assumed it would be in Puerto Rico. We saw properties in Tenerife and I viewed 20 odd in Puerto Rico. However we fell in love with one in Tenerife and that was it. I'm not that keen on some parts of PDLA but some of it is very nice. We bought in Los Cristianos in preference. Gran Canaria has the PDLA Equivalent of Playa des Ingles which is very similar, but 3 times the size!

Over the last two years we have grown to love Tenerife but I would still be happy to go back to Puerto RICO. My children miss going there as they have spent most of their childhood on the beaches but they also love coming to their 2nd home in Tenerife. Neither destination is perfect but I love them both!

seanocelt
17-09-2012, 02:18
I recall Mini-C asking advice on accom in Tenerife, then opting for Gran Canaria. I think the points are well made, though not enough to put me off my chosen island. Those points being;
1/ yes, we should control the volume of sellers/lookie- lookeys etc esp when people are eating.

2/ Pr's are really only needed for hard to find places, but bars ( as in beer pricing) keep focussing on what the neighbours are up to. Thank you Mini- C for the update, i was actually waiting for it and, sad that i am you may not be coming here again, it was worth the effort for you i hope, doing the review.