PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Moving from the UK to Tenerife

anthony1989
17-09-2012, 17:48
Me and my patner are looking into moving to tenerife from england. I was wondering if anyone could help us. As we have loads of questions we need answering. My girlfriend is pregnant and currently working full time. She is due on the 5th febuary and we are wanting to go around a month or two after the baby is born.

Is she still entitled to maternity pay and/or anything else?

How much rent is for a two bedroom apartment/villa would be

how much jobs pay out there?

If we need anything like medical cards and would we get free medical treatment?

And any other information you think we will neen as my head has just gone blank!!! Lol

thankyou

karinagal
17-09-2012, 18:37
Hi Anthony! Welcome to the forum. Job wise it's not a good time to come to Tenerife, jobs are hard to find depending on your skill set. I'm not sure what (if any) benefits you would be entitled to when you come here to live rather than just being a tourist.

General guidance to anyone planning a move to Tenerife - don't sell up in the UK. Bring with you enough money to keep you for around 6 months and keep enough for a flight home in case it doesn't work out...

mike in chayofa
17-09-2012, 18:49
Hi there and :welcome: to Tenerife forum.

The answers to all your questions are already answered on the froum. Have a good root around.

[QUOTE=anthony1989;217280]

Not in Tenerife. You haven't contributed to the social security system, so you will get no benefits.

A 'villa' eh? You live in a villa in the UK - not a house? :wink:

The cost would be anything from 400€ - 4.000€ a month depending.

Not a lot - but you have to find one first. Unemloyment is running at over 30%

No free medical treatment unless you have a job with a contract. Emergency care would be provided under reciprocal arangements with the correct documentation.

anthony1989
17-09-2012, 19:03
Well i know poeple who moved there last year and they got, bar work within days!! And i meant would she be able to carry on claiming maternity pay if we do move in march/april cheers

junglejim
17-09-2012, 19:04
Have a look here for info as well
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/

Under 25 unemployment in Tenerife is 52% at present !
Come as a" long term" holiday to begin with using E111 and long term insurance to cover medical issues that may arise .
You will do well to earn €7 per hour !

anthony1989
17-09-2012, 19:07
That badd!!! I think i might bring a tent!! Aswel lol

carpenter
18-09-2012, 00:33
Hello and welcome, my wife has just had our first child here in Tenerife. I'm not sure where you plan on having your baby. If it's here without healthcare the cost of childbirth at the hospital is €5000
There is NO gas and air only epidurals and they are not administered quickly.

If you plan on having the baby in the UK and then you want to come here shortly afterwards during her maternity leave think again.

Your baby (and girlfriend at first) will need constant medical checks which will not be available to you here for free, weekly at 1st then monthly, heels tests, weight and height gain charts made, injections. This is not the time to be traveling around.

One word about new additions . It used to take me 10 mins to get out of bed, drink a coffee, have a shower, get dressed and start the car. Now it take 2 hours

Stay at home with all the medical care and give your baby the best start.

Tom & Sharon
18-09-2012, 17:24
Me and my patner are looking into moving to tenerife from england. I was wondering if anyone could help us. As we have loads of questions we need answering. My girlfriend is pregnant and currently working full time. She is due on the 5th febuary and we are wanting to go around a month or two after the baby is born.

And any other information you think we will neen as my head has just gone blank!!! Lol

thankyou

Well i know poeple who moved there last year and they got, bar work within days!! And i meant would she be able to carry on claiming maternity pay if we do move in march/april cheers

So............you're going to move to Tenerife without knowing the first thing about it, with no jobs, no home, no health care entitlement, no family back up and with a 2 month old baby?

Are you on drugs?

Ed3229
18-09-2012, 17:53
http://tenerifeislander.hubpages.com/hub/Making-money-on-Tenerife-is-very-important

Interesting page...

karinagal
18-09-2012, 19:42
So............you're going to move to Tenerife without knowing the first thing about it, with no jobs, no home, no health care entitlement, no family back up and with a 2 month old baby?

Are you on drugs?

Well, that last line had me redecorating the walls with my dinner!!! Blunt but true.. Kudos!! :p

Suej
18-09-2012, 19:47
Bit cold in a tent in February for a baby!:whistle: I would re-think your options anthony! Stay in UK!!! Soz!:(

mike in chayofa
18-09-2012, 20:39
Well, that last line had me redecorating the walls with my dinner!!! Blunt but true.. Kudos!! :p

... but, it's so true. No disrespect to the OP but, how many times have we seen postings that follow the lines ...

I AM moving to Tenerife

I know nothing about the island - but I did go on holiday there once.

I don't speak the language, but I want a job.

If I don't get a job will the Spanish people (C/o the Spanish government) keep me

I live in a 2-up, 2-down terrace house in wherever, but I want to live in a 'villa' in Tenerife

etc etc

If I had a euro for every similar post, I would be retired by now!!! ... OOOOOOps, I am retired (early, you understand :D )

On the subject of retirement, I retired at 52 - it isn't all that its cracked up to be ... but ...

I worked hard, saved and invested until I could afford to.

cainaries
18-09-2012, 20:49

Are you on drugs?

I saw this thread last night and said to OH, aagh, suppose that was our son/daughter. Why move away from the support system? Of course I don't know your story but would you not need family and friends to help and support you both through the early months. We had terrible visions of you going out at about 3 in the afternoon and leaving your partner with a fractious baby for 12 hours when she knows no-one to help her and has no-one to talk to. Just imagining how it might be almost had me in tears. Seriously, this is a baaaaad plan. In a couple of years it might be a very good plan. A little patience required we think.

tracy hampshire
18-09-2012, 20:56
please sit down read through the forum , many people have been given sound advice about moving over here, i moved over here 3 years ago as a single woman, and have found it difficult, worked in a bar for the first 2 years with a contract thankfully, have now been out of work for a year, but i am now in the system so get free health care etc, i married over here, & we have moved house 3 times this year always looking for somewhere cheaper to make ends meet, we have a lovely big house at the moment for only 200 euros a month, but the plaster is falling off the ceiling & we got the cheap deal because we are doing the work on it to refurbish it, so as i said sit down & think carefully about it, reaserch everything & then check again, many people who have lived here for years have gone back to the uk, because life is so tough here, & to be honest i think things here will get alot worse before they get better, spain is in a worse recession than the uk at the moment, yes we have the sunshine but to be honest you get p***ed off with that after a while, so whatever you decide get your facts, do your sums & the best of luck to you & your family x

candy2411
18-09-2012, 21:23
that is such an open and honest post Tracy, hope the OP takes on board all the comments made before taking such big steps

LUCKY
18-09-2012, 22:08
That badd!!! I think i might bring a tent!! Aswel lol take a look at this link tony:flatcap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19633964

anthony1989
19-09-2012, 12:47
WELL I ALREADY HAVE AN INCOME OF AROUND 500pw THAT I WILL HAVE COMING IN PLUS THE MONEY I WILL EARN OVER THERE. AND I'LL HAVE QUITE A DECENT AMOUNT OF SAVINGS TO COME WITH :raspberry2: SO IM NOT STUPID I JUST KNOW I WANT TO DO THIS AND NEED AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE. I WILL ALSO BE COMING WITH ANOTHER COUPLE AND THEIR LITTLE ONE SO WE WON'T BE ALONE EITHER IM LOOKING INTO BUISNESSES AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE MY GIRLFRIEND IS A QUALIFIED BARBER! AND HAIRDRESSER SO WE CAN LOOK INTO THAT ASWEL.

Madre
19-09-2012, 13:37
We hear you Anthony you dont need to SHOUT :goodluck:

dipper
19-09-2012, 13:48
What a plonker!

anthony1989
19-09-2012, 14:13
Haha capslock sorryyyy lol and dipper Im looking for info to help me not your stupid comments :bootyshake:

TenerifeTeddy
19-09-2012, 14:29
All of the question you have asked have been answered many times on the forum. Please use the search facility and you will find much useful information.

You didn't state on your original post that you had an income and savings, and so the negative responses you have mostly received were in horror at the huge mistake you appeared to be about to make, with possible/likely severe consequences, when you start talking about no income, no healthcare, no accommodation etc with a baby.

I am usually one of those that tells people to go for it, but if you do, please plan carefully, and get things organised properly. Tenerife can be a fantastic place to live, but it can also be a nightmare if it all goes wrong, because there just aren't the support systems in place here that they have in the UK, this is obviously all the more important where you have the welfare of mother and baby to consider.

anthony1989
19-09-2012, 14:44
All of the question you have asked have been answered many times on the forum. Please use the search facility and you will find much useful information.

You didn't state on your original post that you had an income and savings, and so the negative responses you have mostly received were in horror at the huge mistake you appeared to be about to make, with possible/likely severe consequences, when you start talking about no income, no healthcare, no accommodation etc with a baby.

I am usually one of those that tells people to go for it, but if you do, please plan carefully, and get things organised properly. Tenerife can be a fantastic place to live, but it can also be a nightmare if it all goes wrong, because there just aren't the support systems in place here that they have in the UK, this is obviously all the more important where you have the welfare of mother and baby to consider.

Yes I've relished that now lol, and about healthcare I could just get travel insurance for the first few months couldn't I? Well that's what I had planned anyway. I've give myself plenty of time to plan everything and I will be looking into every aspect I can think of I just thought it would be a good idea to ask ppl who have already been in a similar position as any info is better than none cheers

TenerifeTeddy
19-09-2012, 14:55
Yes I've relished that now lol, and about healthcare I could just get travel insurance for the first few months couldn't I? Well that's what I had planned anyway. I've give myself plenty of time to plan everything and I will be looking into every aspect I can think of I just thought it would be a good idea to ask ppl who have already been in a similar position as any info is better than none cheers

Travel Insurance would cover you for emergencies only. An EHIC card will give you similar cover, but routine health checks for mother and child would not be covered, and they would cost a bomb privately.
You could possibly take out private health insurance at around €100-€150 each per month, or if you are legally self employed you would be autonomo (approx €270 per month) or if legally working would be covered by the contract both the last 2 options allow you to register and use the full Spanish healthcare system, which is very good.

anthony1989
19-09-2012, 15:10
Travel Insurance would cover you for emergencies only. An EHIC card will give you similar cover, but routine health checks for mother and child would not be covered, and they would cost a bomb privately.
You could possibly take out private health insurance at around €100-€150 each per month, or if you are legally self employed you would be autonomo (approx €270 per month) or if legally working would be covered by the contract both the last 2 options allow you to register and use the full Spanish healthcare system, which is very good.

Thanks that should help a lot!! I take it you can just pay a few months upfront then they would both be covered for the near future. I've kind of guessed it's not easy to get contracted work out there. We WOULD BE ABLE TO LIVE FOR ATLEAST 12months comfortably without getting work, plus we are planning on coming with another couple so we will have company, baby sitter, friends and if we find a suitable place to share it will be a lot easier for us if you can think of any info you think we would find useful please let me know cheers.

YOUNG GOLFER
19-09-2012, 15:20
Well anthony 1989 first I have to say sorry about all the rude comments you are getting from forum members on here.

This is meant to be a forum members that gives advice and welcome new members not to give abuse and make the likes of this new member think about leaving when he has just joined.

I will echo the facts from some members and it is hard to make a start here in Tenerife as a family and something you have to sit down and discuss time and time again with your friends and family.

You say you have money coming in every week around £500 well that's a good start that should find you a good size property for you and your family and will pay your food bills etc and as you have stated you are coming with others it will make the move easier.

So at the moment you yourself without the help of your friends have a income of around 2,460€ a month that is more than enough to get by without dipping into your savings.

But take your time do not rust into things and don't rent for example the first property you see check out the areas of Tenerife that you would like to live in and find out as much information as you can.

Tenerife is a great place to live if you do all your home work and a client of mine moved over 3 weeks ago has a nice apartment at a good price and went everyday dressed smart looking for a job he is a chief and already he has found a good job less than 5 mins walk from his property.
He came in the other day and nothing pleases me more when i see someone with their head screwed on doing the right things he is well made up.
Now times are hard we have been through that but with a great deal of hard work and research you too can make it work.
Don't give up on a dream just make sure it does not turn into a nightmare.
Good luck and keep posting questions there are many nice members on here who give very sound advice.

I will say this though if you get any PM's (private messages) from members just be careful.

Good luck and keep posting.

TenerifeTeddy
19-09-2012, 15:21
With regards private health insurance, i think that would probably be an annual cover but member TIS (Tenerife Insurance Services) could advise better there, you could send him a PM.

You have to register as Autonomo to legally work self employed, and you have to pay it for the whole period you are self employed. If you were running a shop for example I wouldn't risk not doing so, as the first time an inspector or the police call into your shop to check your paperwork will cost you a €3000 fine. There are many people who work on the black here, which is partly why the economy is in such a bad state, but you would not be covered for anything, and if caught the fines are severe.

anthony1989
19-09-2012, 15:33
Well anthony 1989 first I have to say sorry about all the rude comments you are getting from forum members on here.

This is meant to be a forum members that gives advice and welcome new members not to give abuse and make the likes of this new member think about leaving when he has just joined.

I will echo the facts from some members and it is hard to make a start here in Tenerife as a family and something you have to sit down and discuss time and time again with your friends and family.

You say you have money coming in every week around £500 well that's a good start that should find you a good size property for you and your family and will pay your food bills etc and as you have stated you are coming with others it will make the move easier.

So at the moment you yourself without the help of your friends have a income of around 2,460€ a month that is more than enough to get by without dipping into your savings.

But take your time do not rust into things and don't rent for example the first property you see check out the areas of Tenerife that you would like to live in and find out as much information as you can.

Tenerife is a great place to live if you do all your home work and a client of mine moved over 3 weeks ago has a nice apartment at a good price and went everyday dressed smart looking for a job he is a chief and already he has found a good job less than 5 mins walk from his property.
He came in the other day and nothing pleases me more when i see someone with their head screwed on doing the right things he is well made up.
Now times are hard we have been through that but with a great deal of hard work and research you too can make it work.
Don't give up on a dream just make sure it does not turn into a nightmare.
Good luck and keep posting questions there are many nice members on here who give very sound advice.

I will say this though if you get any PM's (private messages) from members just be careful.

Good luck and keep posting.

Cheers and I know I will make it work IV give myself ample time to look into everything and to be honest If you want something that much then you will getit that's what IV always found out anyways. I'm just going to start writing everything down as EVERYTIME I come on here my mind goes blank! Lol thanks for the advice anyways.

carpenter
19-09-2012, 16:23
I wish I had two grand a month, either you are lucky, clever or a spoiled git! Either way that money is very useful :)

I've got 6 weeks of experience here that I can offer!

I'm not as settled in Tenerife as my wife, or probably 99% of the other forum residents and that is difficult to me as a father to a new baby. I want my family and friends to experience what I am seeing and feeling. It upsets me that I am 2000 miles from what I know and where I want to be.

I want to speak freely and easily to a doctor if I'm worried about my baby's health. I want to stop my car and tell the idiot behind me in very accurate descriptive language that I've got a baby in the car if he bothered to look at the car sticker and to not drive 3 inches from my bumper. I want to be able to give my baby the best future, but in Spain that's impossible at the moment. Racism is rife here on both sides of the coin.

You need to go to register a new fart at the town hall and it'll cost you as will registering your new shoes. Paperwork to walk on the left hand side of the street and another set of paperwork to walk on the right. The

Work is now given to locals before foreigners. Why do you want to come here? I really would like to know. As a young bloke I can think of a hundred other places I would rather be.

What I'm saying here is I left home when I was 17 years old to move into a bedsit on my own. My family life was good but for some reason I didn't call or visit my family very often, sometimes not for 6 months despite living a few miles away. Now I miss them because of my baby!

My friends that I grew up with and have known for over 20 years are still there at the end of a phone or when I visit and still I miss them. Tenerife attracts a certain kind of person and I could never call anyone a true friend because you don't know their history like you do your mates back home. No one will trust you here, don't take it personally!

If you can deal with all this then good on you but can the other 3 people you are coming with? and one final thing to remember is that post natal depression effects as many as 60% of new mums.

Anthony Spain/Canaries is in one huge hole at the moment and there's a great saying "To end up with a small fortune here in Tenerife all you have to do is start with a big one"

anthony1989
19-09-2012, 16:41
I wish I had two grand a month, either you are lucky, clever or a spoiled git! Either way that money is very useful :)

I've got 6 weeks of experience here that I can offer!

I'm not as settled in Tenerife as my wife, or probably 99% of the other forum residents and that is difficult to me as a father to a new baby. I want my family and friends to experience what I am seeing and feeling. It upsets me that I am 4000 miles from what I know and where I want to be.

I want to speak freely and easily to a doctor if I'm worried about my baby's health. I want to stop my car and tell the idiot behind me in very accurate descriptive language that I've got a baby in the car if he bothered to look at the car sticker and to not drive 3 inches from my bumper. I want to be able to give my baby the best future, but in Spain that's impossible at the moment. Racism is rife here on both sides of the coin.

You need to go to register a new fart at the town hall and it'll cost you as will registering your new shoes. Paperwork to walk on the left hand side of the street and another set of paperwork to walk on the right. The

Work is now given to locals before foreigners. Why do you want to come here? I really would like to know. As a young bloke I can think of a hundred other places I would rather be.

What I'm saying here is I left home when I was 17 years old to move into a bedsit on my own. My family life was good but for some reason I didn't call or visit my family very often, sometimes not for 6 months despite living a few miles away. Now I miss them because of my baby!

My friends that I grew up with and have known for over 20 years are still there at the end of a phone or when I visit and still I miss them. Tenerife attracts a certain kind of person and I could never call anyone a true friend because you don't know their history like you do your mates back home. No one will trust you here, don't take it personally!

If you can deal with all this then good on you but can the other 3 people you are coming with? and one final thing to remember is that post natal depression effects as many as 60% of new mums.

Anthony Spain/Canaries is in one huge whole at the moment and there's a great saying "To end up with a small fortune here in Tenerife all you have to do is start with a big one"

Is your partner English if so did she have the baby here or there???

Apollo
19-09-2012, 16:51
I felt it quite important to post on here as i am a new mother living over here so can offer insight from your gf's side of things.

I had a baby 6 and a half weeks ago. 5 days post partem my son had the heel test which required a 4 week wait for results. Thankfully all came back normal but if not then complications are already on the cards.
Then 2 weeks post partem was the first revision apt where he was fully registered and every inch of him checked. Also we got his child health book which sees him through his childhood.
Then came another revision at 1 month, next one is due at 2 months when vaccs are started and continue bi monthly. On top of this there's been my checks as a mother. Stitches from episiotomy or tear (its not fun) are checked and either given the green light or may require further treatment. In the uk this happens at 6 weeks so it doesnt leave you long. Also take into account if a c section is needed. So your gf and baby will need regular appointments and that is just based on a normal, healthy birth and baby.

Being a new mum is wonderful BUT can be very isolating. I am lucky enough to have friends around me but they didnt just appear over night. I know you are coming with another couple but i think this may prove to be more of a hindrance and stress inducer, you probably dont see this now OR from the point of view of a tired mother.
Now for the upheaval on the baby. Frankly, at almost 7 weeks, going to the supermarket can prove difficult, i'm not even sure i can imagine 2000 miles (and i'm no wuss. I worked up to labour and 6 days post partem, lol).

I love Tenerife but it can be very hard. I have fought tooth and nail to stay here with a husband who doesn't want to be here BUT with that in mind even I would not move over at such a time. It is a struggle to be fair, the island is- put bluntly- on it's **** and for every job you apply for there are at least 20-30 other people also applying. Please think VERY hard about this.

It might be what YOU want but is it what's best for your baby? You sound like i was all those years ago but i came when the island was healthy and I had no dependants. Incidentally, because of my baby this has taken over an hour to write ;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Is your partner English if so did she have the baby here or there???

Didnt realise hubby had posted. I am Carpenter's wife and I had my baby here.
For me it was ok because I speak the language pretty well, but even then when there are things important needed I would struggle on occasion which isnt great when a new baby is concerned.

They were fantastic with me medically and in person, and I was lucky that it was free as we pay our social, but to come in, effectively half way through (i.e so soon after the baby was born) could cause a lot of complications with things being done in the uk and then being repeated...things not being translated properly from your surgery in the UK to here and, possibly worst of all, things NOT being done here because they are done earlier here than the UK and you have just missed them with the crossover period. But how would you know....

:)

Topacciolo
12-10-2012, 11:38
I've been looking to move here for the past two years and now I'm almost sorted!! One thing I want to tell you: if it's your dream go for it! It sounds like you thought this trough and you will get so much info using the forum that you can't imagine! You don't want to find yourself in 20 years time regretting that you didn't try!!
I manage to get everything (almost everything...:-)). ) sorted thanks to research and the forum so do go and do your thing!!!
I know now many people that leave here and everyone is going to have problems and setbacks but at the question "would you move back to uk?" 99% of the resident will tell you "Hell no!!! " so go and leave your and your family dream!! Good luck and keep in touch!!!
Where are you moving to?

Topacciolo

Stallionjames
06-01-2013, 14:09
Hey mate me and my misses are moving out to Tenerife next Tuesday we have no kids and young saved up enough money just in case it don't go to plan
I have no job yet but have everything else sorted
I think if you want something and work hard to go out there and get you can make it work

But I wouldn't go out there just after the baby born