PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else got a green pool?

cainaries
17-06-2011, 14:11
Question from OH. Over here on west coast of La Palma some of us are having trouble with green pools. Only water to have gone into our pool recently fell directly out of the sky and the pool is now a brilliant shade of green. Same thing has happened to some other pools. OH wondered if anyone on Tenerife has the same problem or if the acid rain is very localised.

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 14:15
Without actually seeing it, it's difficult to answer.

Whatever is causing it is an imbalance of 'something'. Start off by testing your chlorine and Ph levels to see the results.

It could be algea, in which case you will have to dose it with algicide.

Suej
17-06-2011, 14:17
Without actually seeing it, it's difficult to answer.

Whatever is causing it is an imbalance of 'something'. Start off by testing your chlorine and Ph levels to see the results.

It could be algea, in which case you will have to dose it with algicide.

Doesn´t that take to build up though Mike? sounds very strange if it happened over a short space of time, from what I know of Cainaries she keeps her pool spot on.

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 14:36
Doesn´t that take to build up though Mike? sounds very strange if it happened over a short space of time, from what I know of Cainaries she keeps her pool spot on.

I am not sure what you mean about 'that'

Pools are easy to maintain providing you keep on top of the chemical levels, but they are a nightmare once they get out of 'sync'

With the temperatures that we have at the moment, I have known algea to turn water green overnight, especially if it has a cover on it

onelegnofeet
17-06-2011, 14:41
Sounds like BLUE ICE ....................Bio waste from toilets a mix of human and Disinfectants which can fall in large chunks or start to melt on the way down !!!YUK I HOPE I'M WRONG .....type in Blue ice and read for yourselves

Suej
17-06-2011, 14:42
I am not sure what you mean about 'that'

Pools are easy to maintain providing you keep on top of the chemical levels, but they are a nightmare once they get out of 'sync'

With the temperatures that we have at the moment, I have known algea to turn water green overnight, especially if it has a cover on it

Yes sorry Mike I did mean the Algae. ;)

cainaries
17-06-2011, 15:40
Yes sorry Mike I did mean the Algae. ;)
Thanks Mike. We haven't had a cover on it for a while and it was fine say, this time last week. Hasn't rained since then nor have we added any water but about 3 days ago it turned a pretty pea-green (not blue ice pee-green I hope). Now I come to think of it, it changed when the temperature catapulted up. OH is out with his testing kit every day and trying lots of concoctions of chemicals but so far no luck. Very irritating as it would be nice to jump in it now it's finally warm enough to do so.

Thanks for kind words, Suej. OL - we used to live right (and I do mean right) on the flightpath to Heathrow. We could read the planes' id numbers. So you don't have to tell me about blue ice. No planes over here usually.

Suej
17-06-2011, 15:49
Has OH checked all the filters Cainaries?

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 16:06
.... Now I come to think of it, it changed when the temperature catapulted up. OH is out with his testing kit every day and trying lots of concoctions of chemicals but so far no luck. .

Almost definitely algea then. At this time of year even an uncovered pool can maintain 26º or more with is an ideal breeding temperature.

The smaller the pool, the greater the risk of chemical imbalance.

I would give it a good dose of algicide and not use it until the problem is solved. The problem with this is that the instructions normally give you a dose of 'howeverymany' cc's per hundred m² and it can be difficult to calculate how much water your pool holds - unless it it a regular shape and even depth.

Depending on your chlorine levels, I would be inclined to give it a 'chlorine shock'. This will probably help and any excess chlorine will dispell after a few days in this heat.

Don't use the pool until you know that all your levels are correct

cainaries
17-06-2011, 22:03
Almost definitely algea then. At this time of year even an uncovered pool can maintain 26º or more with is an ideal breeding temperature.

The smaller the pool, the greater the risk of chemical imbalance.

I would give it a good dose of algicide and not use it until the problem is solved. The problem with this is that the instructions normally give you a dose of 'howeverymany' cc's per hundred m² and it can be difficult to calculate how much water your pool holds - unless it it a regular shape and even depth.

Depending on your chlorine levels, I would be inclined to give it a 'chlorine shock'. This will probably help and any excess chlorine will dispell after a few days in this heat.

Don't use the pool until you know that all your levels are correct
Thanks, Mike. Apparently I have asked the wrong question! The pool is too acid - this is what the Ph reading is telling OH. And he wanted to know why it went acid overnight. We've been dosing it with chlorine but it's had no effect. One lot of friends whose pool also went green said they tried algicide and it had no effect but they cleared it with caustic soda so we are going to try that tomorrow. It is indeed 26C as you thought. And I would soooo like to swim in it.

with cheese
17-06-2011, 22:07
Blanket weed my dear.

cainaries
18-06-2011, 10:27
Has OH checked all the filters Cainaries?
Yes, thanks, Suej. And cleaned them all out again this morning as they were clogged up again - probably that darn blanket weed!