PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone taken the antibiotic Metronidazol (AKA Flagyl)

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 15:08
... or knows someone who has?

If so, can you pass on your experiences please.

I know that if you read up about any drug, the possible side effects are horrendous, but this one really has me scared to death.

I have a deep septic ulcer on my leg and a 10 day course of strong antibiotics did not clear it up and the doctor has now prescribed these. She did warn me about the risks, but the more that I read up about it, the more frightened I become.

I have just taken my first tablet - it has taken me 5 days to summons up the courage.

I guess what I am looking for is someone to say ... yes, I had to take it and I was fine. I have scoured the internet but can only come up with bad things regarding side effects - although the results of it's successsdo seem to be positive.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Goforgold
17-06-2011, 15:13
I've taken Flagyl many times over the years and I'm still ok - although some may say it could have had an impact on my brain!!!

Try not to worry Mike. :)

I hope the medication helps your leg to heal up quickly.

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 15:17
.... - although some may say it could have had an impact on my brain!!!

Try not to worry Mike. :)

That's one of the things that bothers me ... convulsions, brain leisons etc - and the information that the leaflet gives is that there is no antidote to this stuff, so if things do go wrong, there's not a lot that can be done.

I'm hoping that I will be able to laugh at my fear in a weeks time :pray:

onelegnofeet
17-06-2011, 15:18
They really can be horrendous ,they made me sick,food tastes like metal ,first you cant go then its the trots (not easy to keep the cheeks clenched with no legs !!!!) so nothing possitive to say from me other than they are very good for the problem you have if you dont get the side effects .The doc took me off them because of not eating etc due to sugar levels ,he put me onto a cocktail then of Cipro Floxine and Flucloxcilin far far better for me.
IMO give them a try ,i know it does affect every one the same way .Are you having dressings on your leg ,i found Kaltostat ideal for cleaning out the infection ,apparently made from seaweed .

Sorry to here of this Mike ,i wish you a speedy recovery .Take Care

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 15:27
.........he put me onto a cocktail then of Cipro Floxine and Flucloxcilin far far better for me.
IMO give them a try ,i know it does affect every one the same way .Are you having dressings on your leg ,i found Kaltostat ideal for cleaning out the infection ,apparently made from seaweed .

Thanks for the info. One of the reasons for posting this on the forum was that I guessed that you would have been prescribed it at some point.

Ciprofloxine 2 x 500mg for 10 days, didn't do the trick

Flagyl is my last resort, otherwise it's going to have to be hospital, yet again :cry:

My white cell count is 'through the roof' and because of the lifespan of blood cells, I have to accept that whatever happens, I will feel like sh¡t and have no energy for the next 6 weeks. I know that I shouldn't complain because there's a lot of people worse off than me, but there just seems no end to all this

Goforgold
17-06-2011, 15:30
That's one of the things that bothers me ... convulsions, brain leisons etc - and the information that the leaflet gives is that there is no antidote to this stuff, so if things do go wrong, there's not a lot that can be done.

I'm hoping that I will be able to laugh at my fear in a weeks time :pray:

Ooops sorry Mike - I didn't realise that was one of the possible side effects.
I was like this with some anti-depressants once and I sat looking at the prescription for a couple of weeks before I dared to start them. I now don't read any of the possible side effects of drugs as they have to cover every possible side effect.

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 15:47
....... I now don't read any of the possible side effects of drugs as they have to cover every possible side effect.

I realise this because a lot of every-day OTC medicines would frighten you to death, but I have to take special care.

The reason that I am obsessed with the side effects of this particular drug is that it is exactly 2 years since I was lying in ICU at the Green hospital with a 50/50 chance of survival due to septocemia .... caused by a badly treated leg ulcer, yet again!

Suej
17-06-2011, 15:53
I realise this because a lot of every-day OTC medicines would frighten you to death, but I have to take special care.

The reason that I am obsessed with the side effects of this particular drug is that it is exactly 2 years since I was lying in ICU at the Green hospital with a 50/50 chance of survival due to septocemia .... caused by a badly treated leg ulcer, yet again!

Take the medication Mike, before the infection gets any worse, if you feel any side effects get straight back to the Doctor. Flagyl has been around a long time so if there had been any serious widespread side effects they would have been withdrawn the positives must outweigh the negatives.

Pooh
17-06-2011, 16:10
Feeling sick and metallic taste in the mouth is the most common side effects, in more then 1 of 100 users, but isn't dangerous.
Some worse, but not extremely serious side effects such as headache, hallucinations, etc is affecting less than 1 in 1000 users.
The worst ones, where it affects the brain, affects less than 1 in 10,000. According to the medical substance information available to Doctors in Sweden (which I have access to), those side effects (even the one affecting the brain) all disappear if stopping the treatment.

onelegnofeet
17-06-2011, 17:30
Thanks for the info. One of the reasons for posting this on the forum was that I guessed that you would have been prescribed it at some point.

Ciprofloxine 2 x 500mg for 10 days, didn't do the trick

Flagyl is my last resort, otherwise it's going to have to be hospital, yet again :cry:

My white cell count is 'through the roof' and because of the lifespan of blood cells, I have to accept that whatever happens, I will feel like sh¡t and have no energy for the next 6 weeks. I know that I shouldn't complain because there's a lot of people worse off than me, but there just seems no end to all this

Firstly MOD MODE ........do you know how to use the PM facility ,well bloody use it ......any time .

Ciprofloxin on its own for me just wasnt strong enough hence the cocktail of the two together .I know only to well the thoughts of going into hospital again !!!But sometimes its the only option .Its okay me preaching but it must be far worse in hospitals there ,at least in the UK 99% of staff and patients speak english so the days do pass .Again if like in the UK with this sort of problem its isolation ,so i do understand how you must be feeling to a lesser degree.
I wonder if ,and please excuse how i may spell it ,eurethromyacyne is how its sounds is available in Tenerife they used this in both tablet and introvenus form too on me at various points ,Successfully .Just trying to give you options that your doctor may have overlooked .
you are right there are no antidotes with Metronidazol,i think it a case of waiting for it to pass through the body ,so as others say if you do feel any ensuing problems ,stop it straight away and head for the doctors .Again like the others in their reassureance ,i have not heard of any major problems ,imo it was more when it first came onto the market and i think if a couple of cases arise they do have to print warnings .

As said need to talk off the forum please use the PM facility .Hope your soon sorted .Best wishes

rosemary
25-06-2011, 12:08
Mike do have a look for info on the application of Manuka Honey from NZ on ulcers. Some say miraculous results.
http://manukahoney.com/resources/conditions/skin-ulcers.html

Suej
25-06-2011, 12:20
... or knows someone who has?

If so, can you pass on your experiences please.

I know that if you read up about any drug, the possible side effects are horrendous, but this one really has me scared to death.

I have a deep septic ulcer on my leg and a 10 day course of strong antibiotics did not clear it up and the doctor has now prescribed these. She did warn me about the risks, but the more that I read up about it, the more frightened I become.

I have just taken my first tablet - it has taken me 5 days to summons up the courage.

I guess what I am looking for is someone to say ... yes, I had to take it and I was fine. I have scoured the internet but can only come up with bad things regarding side effects - although the results of it's successsdo seem to be positive.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

How are you doing Mike? any better?:nurse:

mike in chayofa
25-06-2011, 15:03
How are you doing Mike? any better?:nurse:

TBH I don't really know! It is certainly better than it was, but there's still a long way to go. I'm not sure that the infection has completely cleared - I'm going to the doctors at the start of the week.

My original question about Flagyl was brought about by my '6th sense' and, as usual, proved correct :(

Whilst I was taking it, I suffered just about every side effect that is listed;

Hallucinations, fever, continuous nausea and headache etc etc

I have had some pretty strong medication from time to time in my life, but nothing has ever knocked me like this stuff

Suej
25-06-2011, 15:09
TBH I don't really know! It is certainly better than it was, but there's still a long way to go. I'm not sure that the infection has completely cleared - I'm going to the doctors at the start of the week.

My original question about Flagyl was brought about by my '6th sense' and, as usual, proved correct :(

I have had some pretty strong medication from time to time in my life, but nothing has ever knocked me like this stuff

That sounds like side effects from the Forum Mike! :lol:

Hopefully you are on the mend...let us know how you get on at the Doc´s and wish you well soon!:hello:

rosemary
25-06-2011, 15:55
I hate antibiotics. They seem to all have more side effects than they used to. Last one I took felt as if I had swallowed paint stripper. If one can avoid them so much the better. I have to have a tooth extraction next week and have just started on a 7 day course of something that sounds like Pantomicini. I don´t dare to read up on it. (Don´t anyone tell me please!). See how it goes and if this one is orrible I´ll just stop taking it. My sympathies Mike. But do please look up the Manuka Honey. You can buy it online.

delgirl
25-06-2011, 17:02
I too have taken this mediction in the past with no side effects I was also a doctors receptionist for many years this was prescribed all the time the only problem I found was no alcohol now that nearly killed me lol

Jackalina
25-06-2011, 17:52
I just finished a course of them and amoxicillin for abcess after dental treatment the abcess cleared quickly but I did have oral thrush and diarhea for a couple of weeks after. I believe it is very effective.

Bazz
25-06-2011, 18:39
All tablets have side affects. Some worse than others. :reading: I tend not to read the side affects with prescriptions now or it would put me right off.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Mike. :)

onelegnofeet
25-06-2011, 19:55
(

This could also be from the infection Mike .
So glad its better than it was .As said Honey as been used in the UK for many years (once thought to be an old wives tale ) it does work for some others not .what i have read it seems that the healing is down to how much circulation to the surrounding area .Also a lot of hospitals are using Maggots which they put onto wounds and ulcers they eat the dead flesh leaving way for new cells to heal .So horrid but i have seen the results when in hospital and i was amazed how quick healing developed .Often wished i known of this option i would certainly have given it a go .
Elevation of the leg too is really essential especially if the infection is there still

Anyway youngman take care .Best wishes to a speedy recovery

warbey
25-06-2011, 19:57
Hope things are getting better Mike.. I googled it, seems to be plenty of info on it.
I also hear that Honey can work well, few side effects there.
Thinking of You. Never ignore the 6th sense mate,!!

onelegnofeet
25-06-2011, 20:26
6th sense ................if i had any ,well ......................

poshbird22
25-06-2011, 21:30
Hi, Metronidazole is fine to take. Yes, it has side effects but it is a very strong antibiotic. Do NOT drink alcohol with this one!!!!

onelegnofeet
30-06-2011, 20:00
Hi mike how you doing ??? just me being nosey .Hope everything is going much better

wigjam
01-07-2011, 16:35
Metronidazol is used for a different sort of infection than the other antibiotics mentioned.I am sure the doctor who prescribed them did so for this reason.
One of the most important things is not to drink any alcohol or you will experience nausea.
I was a medical rep and sold Kaltostat dressings which are indeed made of seaweed. It is used as said to clean a chronic wound, like a leg ulcer, usually when there is some superficial bleeding.
As I said I'm sure your doctor thought it the best treatment option for you.
Hope the leg soon improves. Make sure you get it bandaged properly, I know it's not pleasant in the heat but essential in helping it to heal. Keep your leg elevated as much as you can, particularly if you are sitting down for a while..

Balcony
01-07-2011, 17:52
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm sure I was prescribed this drug by my dentist when I had oral problems. I can only remember being told by the dentist "No alcohol", then the pharmacist "no alcohol" as the reactions could be dire. I complied. Reading up on the drug after seeing this post is quite alarming, but you have to have faith in the doc who pescribed it. Side-effects are not always a certainty. Just keep a close eye on what your body is telling you and act sooner if anything 'odd' transpires.

babybadger
06-07-2011, 17:38
Absolutely no booze.....