PDA

View Full Version : How can I get rid of tiny ants in Tenerife?

karen03
17-06-2011, 15:17
Can anyone tell me how to get rid tiny ants which are in our apartment.

mike in chayofa
17-06-2011, 15:35
Ant and flying insect powder froma hardware shop.

Although they look like small ants and display the same characteristics to ants, the usual 'Nippon' remedy doesn't seems to work on them.

You can clean up 'localised' ones with vinegar or lemon juice as well.

Make sure that if you use a fly spray and end up with dead flies on your floor or surfaces that you get rid of them as soon as you can, otherwise it will be 'tea-time' for these ants and you will become inundated,

It is the time of year for them to start 'flying' and you can end up with a 'swram' of them on a wall or around pot plants etc. A liberal spray of ordinary fly/mosquito killer will sort this.

Good luck

cjd01
17-06-2011, 15:36

Id love to know too because we get loads in our apartment when we come out!:spin:

Tenerife Blade
17-06-2011, 16:03
We did a bit of homework on these little buggers a couple of years ago. They are actually Pharoah Ants, and ordinary ant repellants dont affect them.

We brought over some Boric Acid powder from the UK, but it can probably be bought over here too. You need to find what they are feeding off. Usually sugar, but can also be fat or protein. You need to bait the trail, (we usually mix sugar with hot water and a measure of boric acid) and let them take it back to the nest. It can take a few weeks, but it works for us. They do come back every year, so keep some boric accid in the cupboard.

I seem to remember that we were told not to use ordinary spray repellants, as it causes them to disperse and set up sub colonies. My best advice would be to google around a bit to make sure they are pharoah ants, and then get some boric acid ordered off ebay. Good luck.

garlicbread
17-06-2011, 16:23

If you mean the very small (micro) ants then there is a simple and inexpensive solution

Buy some Boric Acid ( Acido Borico in Spanish) from your local Farmacia (€1.75 on the box that I have) and mix a small amount with icing sugar and water to make a thick paste. Place small amount(s) of the paste somewhere on the route these ants seem to take/frequent. I guarantee they'll all be gone in less than a week and won't come back.

Suej
17-06-2011, 16:50
We found just simple baby talc pressed in around all the crevices between wall and floor got rid of them....the ants often appear near to water too showers trays etc...

Mutley
17-06-2011, 17:54
If you go to Ferreteria Goyo in Armenime, they have, on the counter a syringe. It is about 5/6e and is the only thing that gets rid of them for us. Its white with a green lid but I cant remember the name.

reggie
17-06-2011, 18:02
Aerosol, hair spray or something, and a lighter, torch the little bu--ers, watch the curtains though, whoosh

with cheese
17-06-2011, 19:26
This may seem crap but it isn't.
We stayed in an apartment last year and there were loads in the kitchen. Wifey got bits of various food (not being sure if they were sweet ants) and put them on the balcony.
The ants went from the kitchen and all the buggers were outside. We then poured some beer on them and got em p*ssed.

You don't want those big Eleph type ants they do a lot of damage.

Nic
17-06-2011, 20:51
Cucumber! Ants hate cucumber so put some cucumber peelings round where their route is and near the hole that they go in and out of and they'll soon disappers, also friendly for pets and children!

with cheese
17-06-2011, 21:02
Cucumber! Ants hate cucumber so put some cucumber peelings round where their route is and near the hole that they go in and out of and they'll soon disappers, also friendly for pets and children!
Sorry could you please repeat that.

hedgehog
17-06-2011, 21:06
gets rid of pesky Germans too...

Nic
17-06-2011, 21:10

yeah, ants don't like cucumbers so if you leave some of the skin that you've peeled off near their home then they'll soon vacate the premises, simples!

hedgehog
17-06-2011, 21:13

Hahahahahahaha!

Lloyd
17-06-2011, 22:59
Nuke them!! Bit on the expensive side though. Also not very practical :/

I would go with the suggestions above though ;)

johnmcandrew
27-06-2012, 14:19
I went for a pizza last night, left the box by the bed, went to have a slice this morning and there must have been around 500 of those little greedy a@@holes in there. Traced them back to the hole they were going in and out of so will try a few of those remedy's today.

Suej
27-06-2012, 14:25
I went for a pizza last night, left the box by the bed, went to have a slice this morning and there must have been around 500 of those little greedy a@@holes in there. Traced them back to the hole they were going in and out of so will try a few of those remedy's today.

Firstly don't leave any food out! :nono: if you have pets use talcum powder in crevices and little holes...the talc suffocates them (the ants not the pets) It's one of the easiest non toxic methods that seems to work! they are rampant at the moment!:goodluck:

timmylish
27-06-2012, 15:48
After being completely over-run with these last year we also got a solution of the following made up, paste it on the wall where they are running to and fro. They will gorge themselves on this solution, take it back to their nest and the whole family gorges on the paste and after that, whey hey, bisto! They all perish never to return. Believe me we have never seen any since we did this early last year! Should really start charging a fee for this info!

If you mean the very small (micro) ants then there is a simple and inexpensive solution

Buy some Boric Acid ( Acido Borico in Spanish) from your local Farmacia (€1.75 on the box that I have) and mix a small amount with icing sugar and water to make a thick paste. Place small amount(s) of the paste somewhere on the route these ants seem to take/frequent. I guarantee they'll all be gone in less than a week and won't come back.

Mia
27-06-2012, 15:57
If you go to Ferreteria Goyo in Armenime, they have, on the counter a syringe. It is about 5/6e and is the only thing that gets rid of them for us. Its white with a green lid but I cant remember the name.

This Gel which Mutley recommended is called Eco Gel. It got rid of them for us.
You need to put a spot where they seem to be coming from and leave them to eat it and go back to the nest.

Obviously you will get another batch finding their way in at a later date, but this stuff keeps us ant free for a few months at a time and one syringe lasts quite a while.

emmess
27-06-2012, 16:06
This Gel which Mutley recommended is called Eco Gel. It got rid of them for us.
You need to put a spot where they seem to be coming from and leave them to eat it and go back to the nest.

Obviously you will get another batch finding their way in at a later date, but this stuff keeps us ant free for a few months at a time and one syringe lasts quite a while.

Yes we've used this as well. We bought it at Alayon in Los Cristianos and it does last quite a while. You put a couple of spots around where you've seen their trail and they all come and gorge on it. Don't kill them or wipe it off - they take the gel back to their nest and it kills them all. Sorted!

Suej
27-06-2012, 16:08
Yes we've used this as well. We bought it at Alayon in Los Cristianos and it does last quite a while. You put a couple of spots around where you've seen their trail and they all come and gorge on it. Don't kill them or wipe it off - they take the gel back to their nest and it kills them all. Sorted!

Would this Eco gel be non toxic to pets? I am assuming by the name that it is!

marbro8
27-06-2012, 19:07
all these methods seem a lot better than the tactic my wife used on our last visit, which consisted of standing there for hours squatting em:crylaughing:

johnmcandrew
27-06-2012, 19:21
all these methods seem a lot better than the tactic my wife used on our last visit, which consisted of standing there for hours squatting em:crylaughing:

Don't you mean "Swatting" them?????? I choked on my coffee there and had to wipe it off my screen!!!!

marbro8
27-06-2012, 19:32
Don't you mean "Swatting" them?????? I choked on my coffee there and had to wipe it off my screen!!!! no she actually peed all over them and it worked:cheeky: sorry couldn't resist that lol ye you are right i meant swatted:wink2:

johnmcandrew
28-06-2012, 13:45
I have just been all over San Eugenio looking for this Eco Gel. Anyone got any suggestions? Only Stop N Shop to go and the chinese shop round the corner from Ghandi's.......... That's after my pit stop for a few down the beach front. If not it'll be the Boric Acid and peanut butter route.

ofimart
26-02-2013, 18:12

After being sick to death of these little ants in the house and spraying to no avail I did a live search on the forum and saw this product recommended . It is called "Eco Gel" and costs 5.25€ so we bought 2 as it is only little . Brought it home and put blobs of it where these ants were spotted . Within minutes they all came out and fed on it and literally by the next day they had all scurred away never to be seen again!!! It is an amazing product and the second pack (unopened) , along with the first pack still half full are safely under the sink now if ever they re- appear!! Wish I'd found this product sooner and saved myself so much bother.
I thought I'd re post this thread incase there are any of you being plagued at the moment. Hope this helps.

Jacquie.

r1lav
27-03-2013, 16:18
We did a bit of homework on these little buggers a couple of years ago. They are actually Pharoah Ants, and ordinary ant repellants dont affect them.

We brought over some Boric Acid powder from the UK, but it can probably be bought over here too. You need to find what they are feeding off. Usually sugar, but can also be fat or protein. You need to bait the trail, (we usually mix sugar with hot water and a measure of boric acid) and let them take it back to the nest. It can take a few weeks, but it works for us. They do come back every year, so keep some boric accid in the cupboard.

I seem to remember that we were told not to use ordinary spray repellants, as it causes them to disperse and set up sub colonies. My best advice would be to google around a bit to make sure they are pharoah ants, and then get some boric acid ordered off ebay. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I mixed some boric acid with sugar and water to a paste and put it near to where the ants were coming onto the kitchen work top.
They feasted all night and were gone in the morning.
I don't know if they will come back tonight or whether they will be dead.
We had about 20 in total feeding and taking the stuff back to the nest.

junglejim
23-04-2013, 09:25
As has been said previously and more recently by Ofimart -Eco gel is by far the best simplest and longest lasting solution to getting rid of them - as well as clearing up any food debris ,crumbs etc !

golf birdie
23-04-2013, 09:36
As has been said previously and more recently by Ofimart -Eco gel is by far the best simplest and longest lasting solution to getting rid of them - as well as clearing up any food debris ,crumbs etc !

I tried this Eco gel and the ants are still there. They just have a look at it and walk off:(

junglejim
23-04-2013, 10:30
Very surprised, we get a commercial firm on our complex that use a similar compound and we had it applied 3. Yrs ago and have never had a problem .

golf birdie
23-04-2013, 10:35
Very surprised, we get a commercial firm on our complex that use a similar compound and we had it applied 3. Yrs ago and have never had a problem .

I brought a similar product for cockroaches comes in the same king of syringe, works a dream so I had high hopes for this.

junglejim
23-04-2013, 10:38
The company employed by our complex use a spray for cockroaches which seems highly effective - we only get the occasional one flying into walkways but their eco gel application is very effective.

boredinscotland
23-04-2013, 10:51
We used Nippon Gel, worked great, within a day no more ants to be seen

seanocelt
23-04-2013, 13:01
moved into new gaff 2 weeks ago, found micro ants, put down marmalade/boric acid mixture, gone in a day, never returned.

junglejim
23-04-2013, 14:31
moved into new gaff 2 weeks ago, found micro ants, put down marmalade/boric acid mixture, gone in a day, never returned.

Were you singing Sean ?

seanocelt
23-04-2013, 14:58
Next time they appear im carting them off to a wee complex near the Fiddler...........then you can sing to them. ;-)

Ali.xx
22-08-2014, 19:21
Does eco gel work on cockroaches? Is it safe to use eco gel and boric acid at the same time? I dont mean mixed together! Have loads of tiny ants in our apartment. Thought they were baby cockroaches!

nelson
22-08-2014, 22:36
I always find the ants to be industrious little creatures no harm at all. They seem to be more the cleaner uppers , dragging dead insects away to ant city in our walls. Mrs nelson got me up one night in our apartment in my dorado slumber , she had nipped to the loo and needed me to spray a cockroach she had found there. Next morning as I passed my time in the loo was saddened to see I had wiped out many of these diligent little chaps with the cockroach spray.

Live and let live I say , as regards the ants

Mia
23-08-2014, 13:22
I agree ants are not harmful but I am not keen on them in the kitchen.

I think most things that will kill cockroaches will kill ants and probably other small insects, but I do not think the Eco gel for ants will kill cockroaches as they are pretty tough.

But Eco Gel do one especially for cockroaches.

Can´t help with the question of mixing anything with boric acid.

mike in chayofa
23-08-2014, 16:35
I'm pretty sure that this has been mentioned before, but get rid of these ants, mix and equal amount of icing sugar and boric acid (acailable from your local chemist) add water to make a smooth paste and put blobs of the paste in troublesome areas.

They will devour it and takeit back to the next and kill it off.

I occasionally get overun with them and it isn't pleasant to have them in areas where food is stored or prepared. If they are in your garden, they will soon find their way inside, so IMHO it is best to get rid of them

slodgedad
23-08-2014, 17:46
Lately we have use Baygon ant killer that we got from Mercadona and 'touch wood' it seems to be working.

seanocelt
24-08-2014, 03:51
Q= how can i get rid of tiny ants in Tenerife? A= let them sing karaoke, tell them they are " big " ants, and they will leave you , become divas and NEVER talk to you again .............. And that 50 euros you loaned in the slow times? ha ha haaa hhh haaaa .............paah! .

junglejim
24-08-2014, 10:57
"Those Damned Dirty Ants!!- Kill Them !! Kill Them All !!" -Rise of the Planet of the Ants !

kingbaker
24-08-2014, 12:05
Lately we have use Baygon ant killer that we got from Mercadona and 'touch wood' it seems to be working.

I think you might have got some on Seanocelt and Junglejim, after reading their posts. :p:D

karinagal
24-08-2014, 13:08
Q= how can i get rid of tiny ants in Tenerife? A= let them sing karaoke, tell them they are " big " ants, and they will leave you , become divas and NEVER talk to you again .............. And that 50 euros you loaned in the slow times? ha ha haaa hhh haaaa .............paah! .

Aw petal, who did it to you? Do you want me to hold the coats while you sort them out? :D

seanocelt
24-08-2014, 15:34
its just the norm here, i dinae get close enough to them eejits to let them ask for a sub .

junglejim
24-08-2014, 17:17
I think you might have got some on Seanocelt and Junglejim, after reading their posts. :p:D

Eco Jelly and Ice Cream is wonderful !!

kingbaker
24-08-2014, 18:57
And where do you rub it??:p:D;)

Centurion
12-09-2014, 10:52
Lately we discovered that some ants really dislike leafs of the moringa tree;
by accident I had a couple of moringa leaves around a snickers candy bar
and the ants made a hugh bow around the candy (:
This is true at least for ants here in Icod de los Vinos.

Best
Centurion

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 10:57
by accident I had a couple of moringa leaves around a snickers candy bar
This is true at least for ants here in Icod de los Vinos.

Best
Centurion

I've tried your method with SPAM!

LUCKY
12-09-2014, 11:00

My goodness that is a lot of email addresses to Spam.:flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2014, 11:04
I know the leader's name

Adam:cheeky:

Centurion
12-09-2014, 11:07

Sorry, I am not understanding your comment; we are living here for 2 years and since
then fighting against ants, but trying to do it without chemicals (I just thought other people
too have small children or pets and just want to look for something more 'natural')

Best,
Centurion

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 11:09
I had a couple of moringa leaves around a snickers candy bar

I know the leader's name

Adam:cheeky:

Adam used fig leaves, not ones from a Moringa tree!

You silly Person from Wales:cheeky:

Sorry, I am not understanding your comment; we are living here for 2 years and since
then fighting against ants, but trying to do it without chemicals (I just thought other people
too have small children or pets and just want to look for something more 'natural')

Best,
Centurion

It's the link at the bottom of your post.:crying2:

LUCKY
12-09-2014, 11:19
Sorry,
I just thought other people
too have small children or pets and just want to look for something more 'natural'

Best,
Centurion

:flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Centurion
12-09-2014, 11:23
Adam used fig leaves, not ones from a Moringa tree!

You silly Person from Wales:cheeky:

It's the link at the bottom of your post.:crying2:

You are right, the correct plural is leaves; I am awfully sorry for my bad english;
(it just happens to be my 4th language and right now I am concentrating on Spanish)

I uncheck the signature option now, though I cannot see it beeing spam

what a friendly forum I found.

C

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 11:34
You are right, the correct plural is leaves; I am awfully sorry for my bad english;
(it just happens to be my 4th language and right now I am concentrating on Spanish)

I uncheck the signature option now, though I cannot see it beeing spam

what a friendly forum I found.

C

I'm almost positive that you have to have ten posts before adding a link to your business, it helps to avoid spammers.:nono:

Apart from that we are very friendly. :-)

canarybird
16-09-2014, 12:44
I have these tiny ants....called Pharaoh ants or sugar ants.....in several places in my house: kitchen, bathroom, my computer desk and living room sofa.

I wonder if that's because I sometimes eat my morning toast at my computer desk or my supper on the sofa watching TV!!! I really am careful about cleaning up any crumbs but there you go......those pesky little ants can find the ones I don't see, or vacuum away.

So I decided to combat them with the borax bait treatment and bought a little box of the powder Ácido Bórico at the pharmacy for €2 and came home to start the treatment. (I do love small animals, but not when they totally invade, inside and out, a fresh crusty roll I bought from the bakery for dinner, or turn a miniscule crumb of ham that dropped to the kitchen floor into a seething mass.)

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-TwwmCnD/0/M/DSCF0506-M.jpg

Finding the right recipe for the bait:

It seems that these ants can change their diet preferences from sweet to fat or protein, depending on their current needs.

So bait could be a combo of sugar water, honey or sweet jelly or it could be meat (preferably chopped raw cow's liver, according to Wikipedia), peanut butter or bacon fat, all mixed with a low percentage of borax powder.

So I tried the following recipe for the sugary approach:

SUGAR RECIPE:

Put 250 ml (1/4 L) of hot water into an old jar with lid, add 8 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of borax powder, stir well until dissolved.

Find suitable small recipients such as plastic lids or yoghurt containers, add a blob of cotton or wad of Kleenex and pour the liquid mixture over just enough to soak in. The cotton is there to give the ants something they can climb on without drowning in the liquid. Place in the area where ants are traveling. KEEP AWAY FROM REACH OF PETS OR CHILDREN. Borax is poisonous to them too. Label excess liquid in jar and put in safe place.
Renew every few days.

My results from sugar test......NIL:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-zQBZfFV/0/M/DSCF0512-M.jpg

So then I tried putting out some deli ham, chopped and mixed with a little dry borax powder:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-4jR5JWZ/0/M/DSCF0508-M.jpg

After a few minutes:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-qTm4p2G/0/M/DSCF0500-M.jpg

Also tried some roast chicken skin with a little borax powder sprinkled on it:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-GZQHG7h/0/M/DSCF0497-M.jpg

It's important to not use too strong a ratio of borax to the bait used as you want them to live long enough to be able to take it back to the nest.
I know, I know.....it sounds so mean. :-(

One website suggests this recipe for a bait:

PROTEIN/FAT/SWEET BAIT:

2 TBS peanut butter
2 TBS honey
1/2 teaspoon borax powder

Or try 4 TBS bacon fat with 1/2 teaspoon borax.

Whatever you try, you will have to repeat until no more ants are seen.

Some websites suggest stuffing the bait inside 3 inch lengths of drinking straws (hmmm how would you do that?.....) or 3 inch lengths of old hosepipe.
At least that would be safest way to keep pets and children from having a taste.

Well I'll probably be back with more results of this experiment. :-)

Canarybird

Andrzej
03-12-2014, 21:48
I agree..Acido Borico from the chemist mixed with sugar (we use icing sugar) and water mixed into a paste works here. English known poisons like Nippon do not seem to have any effect.........

Paksenarrion
24-04-2015, 18:58
Living in Amarilla Golf I had a lot of trouble with tiny ants. When I moved in I was advised that the complex area was sprayed to kill cockroaches but not tiny ants. I first thought if I keep everything clean and spotless they would disappear, but that wasn´t the case. I tried killing them with bug spray but they be back the next day. I tried ant poisoning but that was useless. Unable to stand that itchy feeling and driving my partner crazy :crazy: every time I saw some ants I finally heard of a possible solution. My neighbor advised using cinnamon sticks around the apartment. So I went searching for cinnamon sticks, ofcourse just when you need it you can´t find them anywhere. :grrrr: Out of frustration I put little piles of cinnamon powder and just to be save I got ant poisoning that the ants take to their nest. Unbelievable but it did have some effect. I wouldn´t say it worked a 100%, occasionally they did come back but using these two items I got rid of them soon enough. For a while I tried cinnamon sticks but found that the powder had more effect. Has anyone else found a solution in how to get rid of tiny ants?

Suzanne
24-04-2015, 21:17
I normally use the eco gel that i buy in the ferreteria chafiras, its not cheap but it does seem to work. It comes in a syringe and you put small blobs about the place. They do like it as it is quickly covered then they take it back to the nest and it should do the trick. I always keep some just in case they come back.

essexeddie
24-04-2015, 22:22
We use the white Ant powder that you get in the UK. Cant buy it in Tenerife. Works quite good. I think the whole island is one giant Ant hill.

timmylish
25-04-2015, 00:41
I normally use the eco gel that i buy in the ferreteria chafiras, its not cheap but it does seem to work. It comes in a syringe and you put small blobs about the place. They do like it as it is quickly covered then they take it back to the nest and it should do the trick. I always keep some just in case they come back.

In truth, after 25 years of trying various possible remedies, we have found this gel to be excellent. Don,t have to put too much down, place in the line of direction of the ants, out of sight, and within one week you should have no further problems. As said they carry tiny amounts of the gel back to their nest and this kills off the 'Queenie' and the reproducing insects. Within about ten days you,ll not see many more. Given time it kills them all off!

tfs1
25-04-2015, 07:35
In truth, after 25 years of trying various possible remedies, we have found this gel to be excellent. Don,t have to put too much down, place in the line of direction of the ants, out of sight, and within one week you should have no further problems. As said they carry tiny amounts of the gel back to their nest and this kills off the 'Queenie' and the reproducing insects. Within about ten days you,ll not see many more. Given time it kills them all off!

Could you please let us know the name of the product - thanks.

LUCKY
25-04-2015, 07:56
Eco gel hormigas :flatcap:

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?15301-How-can-I-get-rid-of-ants-in-Tenerife

Chine
25-04-2015, 08:19

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?15301-How-can-I-get-rid-of-ants-in-Tenerife

Your up early mate ! Are you practising your bingo ? :lol:

Any way up six and nine 69

tfs1
25-04-2015, 09:47

thanks, will look out for it - those small ants are a pain.

information
25-04-2015, 10:56
thanks, will look out for it - those small ants are a pain.

I tried all the gels and nothing worked long term. I now (hopefully) have got to grips with this problem by using boric acid. I mix 3 parts sugar to 1 part boric acid and add a little boiling water. I then place small amounts where the ants appear and let them eat it. Even when it dries it remains sticky and will work for a day or two. After a few days of doing this I have not seen any ants. Be careful if you have pets as this is a posion.

tfs1
25-04-2015, 12:23
I tried all the gels and nothing worked long term. I now (hopefully) have got to grips with this problem by using boric acid. I mix 3 parts sugar to 1 part boric acid and add a little boiling water. I then place small amounts where the ants appear and let them eat it. Even when it dries it remains sticky and will work for a day or two. After a few days of doing this I have not seen any ants. Be careful if you have pets as this is a posion.

Thanks for the info, apart from affecting ants what does it do (if anything) to the surface you place it on ? - can you put it on any surface without a problem ? Does it give off a smell ?

I have read that you can also soak the mixture in cotton balls - have you tried this ?

Thanks for any feedback that you can give.

information
25-04-2015, 12:40
Thanks for the info, apart from affecting ants what does it do (if anything) to the surface you place it on ? - can you put it on any surface without a problem ? Does it give off a smell ?

I have read that you can also soak the mixture in cotton balls - have you tried this ?

Thanks for any feedback that you can give.

I put it on bits of plastic and there are no smells at all. I read you can use mint jelly rather than sugar or peanut butter as some ants prefer protein but sugar works fine for me. You can make a jar full and just keep using a little every couple of days until you see no ants. I carried on for a week after the ants went just in case. I also read you can use cotton wool to soak it.

canarybird
25-04-2015, 13:35

I mixed the dry boracic powder (2 Euros from the pharmacy) with finely chopped sandwich ham and put it inside a small plastic water bottle, laying on it's side without lid on the outer windowsill of my kitchen so it was safe to use around my cats. Ants loved it, whereas they didn't like the sweet sugar version. I refreshed the contents of the bottle after a couple of days and the ants eventually left.

The boric acid powder from the pharmacy:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-TwwmCnD/0/M/DSCF0506-M.jpg

Before I put the diced ham into a plastic bottle, I tested it on a piece of styrofoam:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-qTm4p2G/0/M/DSCF0500-M.jpg

tfs1
25-04-2015, 13:44
I put it on bits of plastic and there are no smells at all. I read you can use mint jelly rather than sugar or peanut butter as some ants prefer protein but sugar works fine for me. You can make a jar full and just keep using a little every couple of days until you see no ants. I carried on for a week after the ants went just in case. I also read you can use cotton wool to soak it.

thanks again, will give it a go.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I mixed the dry boracic powder (2 Euros from the pharmacy) with finely chopped sandwich ham and put it inside a small plastic water bottle, laying on it's side without lid on the outer windowsill of my kitchen so it was safe to use around my cats. Ants loved it, whereas they didn't like the sweet sugar version. I refreshed the contents of the bottle after a couple of days and the ants eventually left.

The boric acid powder from the pharmacy:

Before I put the diced ham into a plastic bottle, I tested it on a piece of styrofoam:

many thanks for your feedback, pics and other option regarding the ham and the use of a small bottle to stop pets from having a taste. All good info.

Paksenarrion
25-04-2015, 19:19
Funny I´ve searched for months and today I finally came across a site ¨How to kill ants without pesticides¨. It explains various methods of how to get rid of ants.

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ants-without-Pesticides

Has anyone tried these methods and do they work?

canarybird
26-04-2015, 09:37

The fifth one on the list at the above mentioned site is the borax treatment which I posted above and it seemed to work, but had to be repeated later.

I also tried mint, lemon, cucumber and soapy water which didn't work for me.

Apparently you should not squirt water at a trail of these tiny Pharaoh ants as you could divide the colony, and instead of eliminating them, you are causing them to separate so some go off and start a new colony in another part of your house or garden.

denissel
26-11-2015, 19:41

Thanks for advice! I will try that. Do you have experience with the little traps that the ants enter and die? I think you can buy them in mercadona.

barryk
19-03-2017, 09:05
Hi
Please could anyone advise of a pharmacy in the GDS area which sells boric acid. I have tried the local ones with no success
Thanks
Barry