PDA

View Full Version : Advice on all cars, new and old

timmylish
20-09-2012, 01:51
brought over to the Canaries on the normal ferry transport system.
After only 6k kilometers I was concerned about the condition of one of the tyres on a new car and, after consulting Mark at Ashro Autos (member on here) I took the car to the San Isidro branch of Pit Stop, the tyre depot, who conducted a full examination of the front end of the car and found that the set up on the drivers side was 30% out whilst the passenger side was 16% out. This is the tracking/alignment/ shock absorbers etc. Unfortunately this sort of work is not covered by any new car warranty due to it being considered "fair wear and tear".
Anyway, the cause of this damage. Simple. The method used by the shipping company to tie the car down on the ferry over from the peninsula. Very heavy chains are wrapped around the front wheels to stp the car moving around during the journey. So something like 50% have some damage with about 15% having the level of damage suffered by our car.
So, in short, I would recommend that all new car purchasers take their cars along to Pit Stop in San Isidro or Las Chafiras to have their cars examined. When you consider the cost of new tyres now its well worth paying a few euros to have your car examined and fixed if necessary. Why these guys. Well, I,ve used them for many years and have been extremely satisfied with their service. Owned by a Brit and at least one member of staff speaks good English and they have experience of this type of problem.

Ecky Thump
20-09-2012, 08:18
brought over to the Canaries on the normal ferry transport system.
After only 6k kilometers I was concerned about the condition of one of the tyres on a new car and, after consulting Mark at Ashro Autos (member on here) I took the car to the San Isidro branch of Pit Stop, the tyre depot, who conducted a full examination of the front end of the car and found that the set up on the drivers side was 30% out whilst the passenger side was 16% out. This is the tracking/alignment/ shock absorbers etc. Unfortunately this sort of work is not covered by any new car warranty due to it being considered "fair wear and tear".
Anyway, the cause of this damage. Simple. The method used by the shipping company to tie the car down on the ferry over from the peninsula. Very heavy chains are wrapped around the front wheels to stp the car moving around during the journey. So something like 50% have some damage with about 15% having the level of damage suffered by our car.
So, in short, I would recommend that all new car purchasers take their cars along to Pit Stop in San Isidro or Las Chafiras to have their cars examined. When you consider the cost of new tyres now its well worth paying a few euros to have your car examined and fixed if necessary. Why these guys. Well, I,ve used them for many years and have been extremely satisfied with their service. Owned by a Brit and at least one member of staff speaks good English and they have experience of this type of problem.

Timmy, I think your post is full of good advice, but what I would question is your figure of 50% of cars sustaining damage and 15% of that figure sustaining damage to the level that you have stated.
I have just this minute spoken to my son (an engineer) who has worked on car/passenger ferries where vehicles of all kinds are carried for 23 years, he says that some damage does occur, but is quite rare for it to be serious, unless the vessel goes through very heavy weather.
Both his car and his wife's, plus many other crew members, (also the many thousands of customers cars) regularly take their cars from Island to Island through heavy seas, so he is quite knowledgeable about these problems, but I do reiterate that there have been a few occasions where damage has occurred, so your post is helpful and informative.

timmylish
20-09-2012, 14:15
Timmy, I think your post is full of good advice, but what I would question is your figure of 50% of cars sustaining damage and 15% of that figure sustaining damage to the level that you have stated.
I have just this minute spoken to my son (an engineer) who has worked on car/passenger ferries where vehicles of all kinds are carried for 23 years, he says that some damage does occur, but is quite rare for it to be serious, unless the vessel goes through very heavy weather.
Both his car and his wife's, plus many other crew members, (also the many thousands of customers cars) regularly take their cars from Island to Island through heavy seas, so he is quite knowledgeable about these problems, but I do reiterate that there have been a few occasions where damage has occurred, so your post is helpful and informative.

Ecky. I merely pass on the info given me. Bear in mind there is a considerable difference in dealing with say Brit owned ferries and those in service between here and the peninsula, the staff and equipment. Its also not unusual to have a write off on this journey!