PDA

View Full Version : How do I transfer my music from laptop to phone?

Red Devil
20-09-2012, 14:28
Anyone tell me please how I transfer my music held in Itunes on my computer (which is a mixture of my stuff transferred from Cd's and music bought from Apple) onto my new Samsung Ace phone?
When I connect my phone it doesn't even show as being recognised on my laptop.

karinagal
20-09-2012, 14:35
You might have a problem with any tunes bought through iTunes - they are
likely to be in a format which won't work on anything not Apple related..

Probably the easiest way to locate where all your music is is to do a search for one of the titles and all your other music is likely to be in the parent folder.

However, if your laptop is not recognising your phone, this won't help you.. You might want to do a google search on the phone type to see if others are having similar problems.

Vortex Wake
20-09-2012, 15:29
Load Samsung Kies onto the laptop first - then connect the phone to the laptop .

Once the phone is connected - Samsung kies program should see the phone and allow a search of all music on the laptop and convert to a suitable playable file.

delderek
20-09-2012, 15:39
Anyone tell me please how I transfer my music held in Itunes on my computer (which is a mixture of my stuff transferred from Cd's and music bought from Apple) onto my new Samsung Ace phone?
When I connect my phone it doesn't even show as being recognised on my laptop.

Or load this very good free software for android on Laptop and Phone, its brilliant.

http://www.wondershare.com/

Red Devil
10-10-2012, 11:12
Sorry but I'm still struggling with my problem! My laptop doesnt have a slot for a card reader to transfer to my Galaxy phone. I believe I can buy a reader that will fit into laptop USB but what type and size? So many on ebay I'm bewildered, also what size memory thingy should I buy for my phone large enough to take my music collection?, the one that came as standard apparently doesnt have much memory

Vortex Wake
10-10-2012, 11:15
No, the phone is connected via its charging/mini USB socket to a USB socket on the Laptop - not via an SD card.

Another more complex way is via wifi - but I'd avoid that path just yet.

Have you downloaded Samsung Kies program on your Laptop yet?

karinagal
10-10-2012, 11:18
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=micro+sd+to+usb&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If it's a micro sd card your phone takes, unless you have a vast amount of music an 8G one should be big enough. The link above will take you to the type of adaptor you need. Any one of them will do the job for you.

Hope this helps

The undisputed queen of de-nial

karinagal
10-10-2012, 11:20
Sorry VW didn't see your reply - if you have a cable (usually supplied with the phone) then that's the best way to do it, using Samsung Kies. There is the possibility that the phone might not recognise the music format on the SD card...

Red Devil
10-10-2012, 11:41
Thanks both of you - yes I have downloaded the Kies but it doesnt seem to recognise it, when i plug the supplied cable into my PC it just says it is charging, nothing else.
Think I might buy the 8gb micro card then and try everything from the start again.Sorry for sounding so thick, but if the music transfers via the cable does it just go straight onto the micro card then on my phone?

Medanoman
10-10-2012, 11:44
try dropbox or to a lesser degree google drive on your laptop and phone, then you can access files on both and buy nothing.

karinagal
10-10-2012, 12:16
Thanks both of you - yes I have downloaded the Kies but it doesnt seem to recognise it, when i plug the supplied cable into my PC it just says it is charging, nothing else.
Think I might buy the 8gb micro card then and try everything from the start again.Sorry for sounding so thick, but if the music transfers via the cable does it just go straight onto the micro card then on my phone?

It depends on the internal memory size on your phone - usually there's not much space on the phone itself which is why they provide you with a card slot to use.. Hubby had a galaxy tab before he joined me on the dark side and got an iPad... It took micro SD cards too. I bought him a few of them and then loaded them up with films for when he was travelling. That way he had a choice and simply swapped them around to access his Sopranos on one card or Father Ted on another!

Make sure you check the instructions for your phone - sometimes there is a limit to the memory size of the SD cards it will handle..

Vortex Wake
10-10-2012, 12:26

:( :( I have to say that I had two identical cables - one would ONLY charge , the other would charge AND connect to the laptop. Somewhere , I think I got a charging only cable version - possibly from a cheap Chinese usb part ( I chucked it in the bin so to avoid future problems)

Red Devil
10-10-2012, 14:09
Thanks for all your help. Im wondering if my cable is like that - even though I connect it to the Kies it still instructs me to connect my phone, then the wizard starts and says it cant find the hardware! Think I might go into Carphone Warehouse this afternoon as the phone is a recent purchase from them.

karinagal
13-10-2012, 10:17
Thanks for all your help. Im wondering if my cable is like that - even though I connect it to the Kies it still instructs me to connect my phone, then the wizard starts and says it cant find the hardware! Think I might go into Carphone Warehouse this afternoon as the phone is a recent purchase from them.

Did you get it sorted yet?

delderek
13-10-2012, 12:46
Samsung Kies software, is pretty hopeless it does not recognise my Galaxy s3 either, and keeps trying to download loads of different drivers. Try the Wondershare MobileGo free software as I mentioned before, it allows you to transfer music and video easily. The phone itself has at least 16gb of memory, large enough for most collections.

Red Devil
28-10-2012, 16:06
thanks for all replies, still not sorted it so i will try your recommendation Derek. Karinagal, loading onto Sd cards may be an idea also - how do I get films etc onto one of those?
My priority now is I also have a Galaxy 7" tab that I want to load the 4 episodes of Good Cop onto. The episodes can be viewed online on the BBC website but are no longer available on iPlayer.
How do I get these episodes from the BBC website onto my tablet so I can watch them on a plane journey, all ideas gratefully received as I am ready to bin this tablet!! Taken 2 weeks to download a kindle book so as you can gather I am not technie minded.

ribuck
28-10-2012, 16:29
when i plug the supplied cable into my PC it just says it is charging, nothing else.
I don't have the Samsung Ace, but I have another Samsung Android-based phone. When I connect the phone to my PC with a cable, it says it is just charging. But if I go into "Settings" "More" "USB Utilities" "USB Mass Storage" then follow a few confusing prompts, it connects in USB Mass Storage mode instead of Charging mode.

The PC can then see all the files on the phone, and I can just copy the music from my PC to any convenient location on the phone (the Android music player will find it eventually). Doing it this way, there's no need for Keis, or for any other additional software.

karinagal
28-10-2012, 16:32
If you download a program to your computer (for example, DVD Shrink) you can copy and compress DVD files to your computer hard disc or direct to an SD card. Then pop the SD into your tablet and Bob's your uncle.. However, you need to know what video format that your tablet will play. Some dvd's now come with a digital edition of the film/program so that you can copy it direct...

Medanoman
28-10-2012, 18:00
thanks for all replies, still not sorted it so i will try your recommendation Derek. Karinagal, loading onto Sd cards may be an idea also - how do I get films etc onto one of those?
My priority now is I also have a Galaxy 7" tab that I want to load the 4 episodes of Good Cop onto. The episodes can be viewed online on the BBC website but are no longer available on iPlayer.
How do I get these episodes from the BBC website onto my tablet so I can watch them on a plane journey, all ideas gratefully received as I am ready to bin this tablet!! Taken 2 weeks to download a kindle book so as you can gather I am not technie minded.

You can normally download episodes from BBC iplayer if you have the BBC iplayer app installed. But if they are not currently available on iplayer you are knakkered. The other problem is that I Player will not work outside of the uk, An alternative is the Filmon app...this also allows you to record for playback later.

To get files from one device to another without cables install dropbox or google drive on booth devices. Then Music or anything else can be moved from one to another or be available on all devices

Octavio22
23-01-2013, 12:31
This is only you can transfer via data cable of your phone if you have the USB phone and automatically detect with your cmputer as UDB then you have no need to install any software otghersiw you nees to install PC suit for transfering data to your phone from your Laptop...

ozeepat
08-07-2013, 06:16
If you download a program to your computer (for example, DVD Shrink) you can copy and compress DVD files to your computer hard disc or direct to an SD card. Then pop the SD into your tablet and Bob's your uncle.. However, you need to know what video format that your tablet will play. Some dvd's now come with a digital edition of the film/program so that you can copy it direct...

My favorite for that purpose is AppGeeker DVD Ripper, supports all known formats.

http://www.ilikemall.com/convert/rip-dvd-to-mp4-mac.html

If you backup the dvds with DVD Shrink first then open them in handbrake that works wonders.