PDA

View Full Version : What's the best route to drive from the UK to Tenerife?

greenc
22-09-2012, 12:40
Hi to everyone

My husband and I a thinking about coming to sunny Tenerife next year for a few months and would like to drive over from the UK in our own car. I have looked on the web, but find it diffiuclt to find the easiest route. Has anyone outthere done this and can you advise the best route includng port in UK. Also how long does it take.

Anh help would be appreciated

garlicbread
22-09-2012, 12:59
Ferries to Santa Cruz leave mainland Europe from three places. Portimao in Portugal, Cadiz in Spain and Huelva in Spain. Where you leave from in the UK depends on your location and the route you take from there will depend on your timescale for the journey and your budget.
For more information use Google and also the search facility on this forum but a good place to start is www.directferries.co.uk

greenc
22-09-2012, 14:08
Thanks for reply, this will be a great help

Greg
22-09-2012, 19:41
The Portimao ferry is no longer running. The Huelva ferry if alot better than the Cadiz one and about 100Km closer. If you have never been Seville is a great city to spend a night or two and is only 70Km from Huelva so you can travel Seville- Huelva on the day of sailing (only Saturday @ 14:00) About mid day is a good time to get to the ferry port and not worth staying there the night before as every hotel is always full and very expensive.Google maps is a good place to plan your route and a Tomtom is great if you own one or can borrow one. Booking.com is a great resource for finding hotels in any town you want to stay at along the way. (It's also available as an Iphone app if you are not taking your laptop) Depending on the time of year you will need to book the ferry in advance as they do get full and personally I would book seats in the VIP section of the boat rather than pay an extra 300€ for a cabin, the trip is only 34 hours and not worth the expense. IMHO. I have done the trip a few times, the first two without a map, I just did the channel tunnel and followed my nose south. This is the most fun if you are not on a strict timetable! Whichever way you go have fun!

Harmonicaman
22-09-2012, 19:46
Are you sure Huelva's closer than Cadiz?:confused:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture_zps79ce998a.png

Oberon
22-09-2012, 20:05
Are you sure Huelva's closer than Cadiz?:confused:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy13/harmonicaman_photos/Capture_zps79ce998a.png

I think he means closer to Britain, not the Canaries.

Harmonicaman
22-09-2012, 20:09
I think he means closer to Britain, not the Canaries.

Ah, good thinking Faery King...:D

slodgedad
23-09-2012, 01:36
Although it's been 18 years since I drove here my route was ferry from Plymouth to Santander, drove through to Cadiz and then the ferry to Santa Cruz.

It was one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life.

The Spanish mainland, as opposed to the Costas, is breathtakingly beautiful.

Balcony
23-09-2012, 10:19
One or two word of warning. 1. You'll no doubt drive through France. Remember you must have hi-viz jackets in driving compartment and also carry the NF breathaliser 2. Earlier this year there had been warnings of British cars being targetted for robbery in the areas over the border of France/Spain. Some will (forcefully) try to make you stop, claiming there is something wrong with your car or that you have damaged theirs. If you decide to stop to check the condition of your/their vehicle, stop in an area with lights/people, e.g. a service station, and be extremely wary of anyone offering help. When driving or taking breaks on motorways, be alert for anyone who attempts to stop you or ask for help. British-registered cars and hire-cars are proving an easy target for motorway gangs who use a wide variety of scams, including posing as police officers, faking accidents and staging breakdowns, to distract unsuspecting holidaymakers, while an accomplice then steals bags and belongings from the vehicle.

Keep a check on the FCO website - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/ + the AA & RAC sites

Greg
23-09-2012, 18:56
One or two word of warning. 1. You'll no doubt drive through France. Remember you must have hi-viz jackets in driving compartment and also carry the NF breathaliser 2. Earlier this year there had been warnings of British cars being targetted for robbery in the areas over the border of France/Spain. Some will (forcefully) try to make you stop, claiming there is something wrong with your car or that you have damaged theirs. If you decide to stop to check the condition of your/their vehicle, stop in an area with lights/people, e.g. a service station, and be extremely wary of anyone offering help. When driving or taking breaks on motorways, be alert for anyone who attempts to stop you or ask for help. British-registered cars and hire-cars are proving an easy target for motorway gangs who use a wide variety of scams, including posing as police officers, faking accidents and staging breakdowns, to distract unsuspecting holidaymakers, while an accomplice then steals bags and belongings from the vehicle.

Keep a check on the FCO website - http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/ + the AA & RAC sites

OMG give it up! The chances of any of the above are one in a million or less! Balcony why would you post this drivel? have you experienced this your self? No? Thought not. I have done this trip a few times and it is so rural you hardly see another car. You would have more chance of being bitten to death by a siffalitic donkey than falling foul to the crap you have posted! Greenc just get on with it and enjoy yourself, you will not get mugged or arrested or anything else! And if anyone wants to contradict me make sure you talk about your own experiences and not any 'I heard this from a friends aunty's dog' bull****. Just enjoy your trip and don't worry. Enjoy!

Balcony
24-09-2012, 07:08
Why wouldn't I post it? You have been lucky, great. I'm sure it is a small chance, but the warnings were given, so it is a matter of vigilence.
And Greg, No I haven't experience IT, but I know one who has.

junglejim
24-09-2012, 07:31
To be fair Greg ,Balcony's post is useful information for all, not just on mainland !
However, back on topic , quite a few years ago we drove from Scotland the ferry from Southampton landed at Cherbourg and drove down via Tours, Saumur,Bordeaux across border via Burgos, Valladolid ,Seville to Portugal using different roads- some Tolls - the only main issue was getting stuck behind lorries!
At the time , driving across Spain was 12-14 hrs so take a break or overnight stay- don't rush it and enjoy the travel and countryside on the way - we didn't go as far as using a ferry so can't talk about Journey to Tenerife .
The only problem we had was our car's front suspension strut collapsed outside Southampton and we had to hire a replacement but were covered by our RAC travel Insurance - a godsend,they even sent our own car back to Scotland!
Enjoy the journey!

Balcony
24-09-2012, 07:44
I can vouch for the number of trucks. We were recently down in SW France and we headed back north towards Boredeaux on a Monday. After a weekend of trucks off the road, perhaps, Monday not the best of time (schedules permitting), but it seemed like wall-to-wall trucks heading N & S.

On the subject of car crimes, read this article from the summer newspaper http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179516/The-hideaway-crime-gangs-hitting-holiday-Brits-Spain-Hundreds-driving-British-registered-vehicles-hire-cars-having-money-possessions-taken.html

Greg
24-09-2012, 21:45
I've never tried the no toll route but judging by the posts I think that 80 quid (ish) for the toll roads is cheap at half the price. On the 1000Km run from Biatitz to Seville I used toll roads all the way and they were deserted. I saw less than 20 cars on way and no lorries, not one! Speed cameras are few and far between too and easily spotted as they are marked well in advance and are only where there is street lighting. The toll roads are very rural giving a nice drive through the country side and 100% stress free. Have fun.

timmylish
25-09-2012, 02:04
I would add my weight to using the toll roads wherever possible, France and Spain. Crazy I know but two contrasting situations for tolls. France mobbed with cars and trucks, Spain deserted. Well worth the money. I could and still don,t understand the ideas of the Spanish and toll roads. When they were first introduced they cost sooooooooooooo little but no, the Spanish refused to accept the reality of taking half the time but costing a few pesetas. Anyway all in all its a wonderful drive but if you can take turn about driving both for safety reasons but more importantly so that both of you can enjoy the views and ambience. Although you may think it a pain in erse I would always cross the border at about 14.00 because you minimise any security problems but don,t forget the Spanish drivers cannot change lifetime habits. ie. Lunch then sleep until 17.00 by which time you are past Barca (or whichever route you decide - I would go to the outskirts of Barca and then head inland, missing Madrid of course and doing Granada and Seville - don,t do Cadiz its a ****hole as is the drive for 100 kilometers up to it.). Whichever you do, take the time to enjoy the trip, 12 hours more, 24 hours more makes no difference. I do hope that everything goes well and have a safe and enjoyable trip.

davship
25-09-2012, 07:58
Hi to everyone

My husband and I a thinking about coming to sunny Tenerife next year for a few months and would like to drive over from the UK in our own car. I have looked on the web, but find it diffiuclt to find the easiest route. Has anyone outthere done this and can you advise the best route includng port in UK. Also how long does it take.

Anh help would be appreciated

I would love to do that journey. But when i looked at it a couple of years ago it was mega expensive and the ferry took flipping ages! But because you are going out for a Few months greenc go for it! it will be an experience of a life time. Maybe when its only the wife and me (no kids) and we win the lottery we might give it a go. If you,ve got a laptop greenc why dont you keep us all in touch on how the journeys going (when you do it) The clever people on here could give you advice on anything you get stuck at on the way.
Best of luck and have a great time.

duxy1977
25-09-2012, 09:52
I have recently bought a LHD/Spanish vehicle in the UK and plan to bring it to Tenerife in a couple of weeks, I looked at Plymouth to Bilbao (ferry), Bilbao to Cadiz (drive) and then Cadiz to Santa Cruz (ferry), is this a good route or am I better going Dover to Calais and then drive through France & Spain to Cadiz? Also, does anyone have any information on how I can insure my car in the UK for the nest couple of weeks prior to bring to Tenerife?
Thanks