PDA

View Full Version : Health Are prescription drugs free in Tenerife?

RETEPYELKNIRB
24-09-2012, 12:44
I wonder if anyone can help with this question please.Coming to Tenerife for about 4 months soon can I
get my free repeat prescriptions at pharmacy or must I bring supply with me? Any assistance would be
much appreciated

obs
24-09-2012, 12:48
Bring them with you. You will have to pay here, and will need a prescription. :goodluck:

junglejim
24-09-2012, 12:53
I get my prescriptions in Scotland for 3 months (free) when coming over - you will have to pay here for each item and pay for writing the prescription too!

LUCKY
24-09-2012, 13:16
I wonder if anyone can help with this question please.Coming to Tenerife for about 4 months soon can I
get my free repeat prescriptions at pharmacy or must I bring supply with me? Any assistance would be
much appreciated i am led to believe that you may be able to obtain up to 6 months medication to take abroad from England, why not have a word with the doctor:flatcap::feret:

tfs1
24-09-2012, 13:39
I tried to get 6 months worth last year and was told max 3 months which I took and continue to get.

I still have to pay for my prescriptions !!! - only another 18 months to go and they will be free.

TFS1

LUCKY
24-09-2012, 13:46
I tried to get 6 months worth last year and was told max 3 months which I took and continue to get.

I still have to pay for my prescriptions !!! - only another 18 months to go and they will be free.

TFS1 you are correct . THE O/H told me i was incorrect as soon as post went .

grimley
24-09-2012, 14:33
you are correct . THE O/H told me i was incorrect as soon as post went .

do that inclue o.a.ps

VideoMem
24-09-2012, 14:43
The three months max is also strictly interpreted at my UK Surgery as 3 x 28 days worth as well:(

cainaries
24-09-2012, 17:01
I'm not sure now which country you are all talking about. British OAPS incorporated into the Spanish system now pay 10% of the cost of their prescriptions up to a certain limit. Not free in Spain any more.

LUCKY
24-09-2012, 17:04
http://www.cloakgp.nhs.uk/services-clinics/prescriptions/ Confused :flatcap:

tfs1
24-09-2012, 17:32
Lucky,

Is the 'confusion' around the 6 months prescription ref ?

My thoughts are - If the details are accurate, perhaps the mention that you have to pick meds up 'monthly' from the Pharmacy and that the presciption goes to the Pharmacy suggest to me you cant get your hands on 6 months worth in one visit in advance.

It seems to be a useful way of allowing the doctor to be able to agree advance medication notification to the pharmacy rather have to write out repeat prescriptions every 2/3 months.

VideoMem
24-09-2012, 19:56
Repeat Dispensing

If you are on long term medication you may be able to get it directly from your Pharmacy each month i.e. the doctor can issue 6 months prescriptions in advance to the Pharmacy, provided there are no regular changes to your medication.
Please ask the Receptionist for further details.

I thinks that this means your Doctor can authorise up to 6 months worth at your local Chemist and you could normally expect to collect one on a monthly basis without having to go to the Surgery:tiphat: But you could collect up to 3 months worth at once because you are going away on holiday:flatcap:

karaokeking
26-09-2012, 10:58
Hi. Last year i got six months prescriptions of my doctor.

VideoMem
26-09-2012, 11:40
Hi. Last year i got six months prescriptions of my doctor.
If I knew where you lived, I would transfer to your Doctor:dontknow:

tfs1
26-09-2012, 12:20
I was made to feel lucky that my 2 months prescription was increased to 3 months and since then they have continued to be every 3 months More than 3 was never an option.

KK - Did the 6 months prescription continue ie was it a one off and has it reverted to less months ?

VideoMem
26-09-2012, 12:37
[QUOTE=tfs1;220999]I was made to feel lucky that my 2 months prescription was increased to 3 months and since then they have continued to be every 3 months More than 3 was never an option.

I was being a little flippant with my previous reply about the transfer to another Doctor, my GPs surgery are quite strict on the maximum of 3 x 28 days worth only. It materialised about 4 years ago under the guise of keeping prescription drugs off the streets ie less available means less out there to be abused! Could it also be that the GPs/Chemists get a fee per prescription issued, so a monthly 12 x 28 days is more luctrative than 6 x 56 etc:tongue::idea:

karaokeking
27-09-2012, 11:11
I was made to feel lucky that my 2 months prescription was increased to 3 months and since then they have continued to be every 3 months More than 3 was never an option.

KK - Did the 6 months prescription continue ie was it a one off and has it reverted to less months ?

Hi. I have had six months of prescriptions for about three years. For when i come to Tenerife for the winter. I must admit last year i wanted 7 months, but he would only give me six months.
I am coming out next week and i have been to the doctors to try and get 5 months prescriptions. I am due to pick the prescription up next week, so i will let you know what i'm given.When i come back to the U/K i just revert back to my usual doses, not six months at a time.

grimley
27-09-2012, 12:12

i have to take 7 tablets a day which costs nothing in uk,we thinking about moving to tenerife but if we had to pay prescription charges then we have a rethink depending on cost has o.a ps i thought it was free because spain bills the uk once you have your soical number anyone with information about this

Goldenmaniac
27-09-2012, 12:37
The Spanish National Health Service has recently imposed a co-payment on prescription medicines as a UK pensioner registered in Spain you would pay up to 10% of the cost see here for the British Embassy press release on the subject
http://newsinthesun.com/news-from-the-british-consulate-june-2012/changes-to-spanish-healthcare-system-means-british-pensioners-contribute-to-prescription-charges/

karaokeking
29-09-2012, 10:54
Hi. I have had six months of prescriptions for about three years. For when i come to Tenerife for the winter. I must admit last year i wanted 7 months, but he would only give me six months.
I am coming out next week and i have been to the doctors to try and get 5 months prescriptions. I am due to pick the prescription up next week, so i will let you know what i'm given.When i come back to the U/K i just revert back to my usual doses, not six months at a time.

Hi everyone, well as i said, i would report back about trying to get six months prescriptions. The outcome is that i can only have three months. I must admit i don't understand why you can't have more if you want, i meen what's the difference i will still be using the same amount if i was back in the u/k. It isn't the girl on reception fault but i said to her, so do i have to fly back so as to get another three months worth. What dose it matter to the doctor. If you are on long term medication, like i am with statins, and blood pressure tablets. Do they think you are going to take them all at once and do yourself in. Also getting six months all in one go saves time for the patient and the receptionist.

primrose
29-09-2012, 11:03
Hi everyone, well as i said, i would report back about trying to get six months prescriptions. The outcome is that i can only have three months. I must admit i don't understand why you can't have more if you want, i meen what's the difference i will still be using the same amount if i was back in the u/k. It isn't the girl on reception fault but i said to her, so do i have to fly back so as to get another three months worth. What dose it matter to the doctor. If you are on long term medication, like i am with statins, and blood pressure tablets. Do they think you are going to take them all at once and do yourself in. Also getting six months all in one go saves time for the patient and the receptionist.

You can buy statins and blood pressure tablets over the counter here, no need for a prescription.

dixie4
29-09-2012, 11:35
Well Karokeking,
I think that you have two choices. Either pay locally for your prescriptions after the three months supply runs out or get a relative to post you your monthly prescription from UK.
This is perfectly viable as it is something I did for my parents for numerous years and the delivery was about a week.
At the end of the day it is your choice to stay in Tenerife for six months at a time and if there is some effort and cost is involved then, sorry to have to say this, so be it.
A few months ago I needed a prescription in Tenerife and it cost me 164Euro plus 50 Euro to the Doctor for the prescription sheet. I had no option but to pay or die no contest really.

primrose
29-09-2012, 11:52
Just looked on my Husbands prescription, 2.09 Euros for Statins, 2.27 Euros for Blood Pressure Tablets, so easier to just buy them.That is for 28 days supply and you don't even need a prescription.

karaokeking
01-10-2012, 09:54
O/K Primrose, so are you saying you can just go to the pharmasist, and get them over the counter, without a prescription.thanks.

primrose
01-10-2012, 10:30
O/K Primrose, so are you saying you can just go to the pharmasist, and get them over the counter, without a prescription.thanks.

Yes I have bought them over the counter but I am going to Chemist this morning, if you PM the name of the medication you need I will ask for you while I am there.

karaokeking
01-10-2012, 10:54
Hi Primrose. I am actualy in the library now, as i don't have the internet when i'm in the U/K. I forget the actual names of the medication, but i take Blood Pressure tablets,that sound like Amblophadin, Gout tablets, allapurinol, and Statins for Cholestoral. Than you.

cainaries
01-10-2012, 11:08
The Spanish Government is reducing the number of treatments you can receive on the Health Service. As OAPs we pay 10% but when I picked up my last prescription the doctor told me I would have to pay the full cost of one of the medicines (for varicose veins) because this is no longer covered by the Health Service. From the list of treatments no longer covered as described in our local paper, there will be quite a few items people will have to pay full price for.

primrose
01-10-2012, 11:39
The Spanish Government is reducing the number of treatments you can receive on the Health Service. As OAPs we pay 10% but when I picked up my last prescription the doctor told me I would have to pay the full cost of one of the medicines (for varicose veins) because this is no longer covered by the Health Service. From the list of treatments no longer covered as described in our local paper, there will be quite a few items people will have to pay full price for.

I had three things on my last prescription that were no longer covered by the Health Service so had to pay full price for them.

VideoMem
01-10-2012, 12:55
I had three things on my last prescription that were no longer covered by the Health Service so had to pay full price for them.

Dare I ask what the items were & what the price was ?:tiphat: If you do not care to name the items, would you be kind enough to give the prices?:hi:

cainaries
01-10-2012, 14:09

Do you think this is the thin edge of the wedge? The cost of mine (to answer another post) will be €10 a month.

primrose
01-10-2012, 14:38
Hi Primrose. I am actualy in the library now, as i don't have the internet when i'm in the U/K. I forget the actual names of the medication, but i take Blood Pressure tablets,that sound like Amblophadin, Gout tablets, allapurinol, and Statins for Cholestoral. Than you.

Just back from Chemist no problems with your medication all 3 can be bought over the counter no need for prescription.about 9 Euros for a months supply.Hope that helps.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Dare I ask what the items were & what the price was ?:tiphat: If you do not care to name the items, would you be kind enough to give the prices?:hi:

Eye Drops that I need every day three times a day 12 Euros and cream for Eczema 15 Euros.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Do you think this is the thin edge of the wedge? The cost of mine (to answer another post) will be €10 a month.

I am certain that it is the thin edge of the wedge, and I think more and more will end up not being covered by the Health Service.

primrose
02-10-2012, 15:27
Karaeokeking not sure if you saw earlier post but there is no problem with your medication all can be bought over counter.

doingok
07-10-2012, 06:28
i am on morphine and only can get 1 months so just stock pile before i leave and have amble over

VideoMem
01-11-2012, 22:16
This "clarification" has appeared on my Doctors website , Note the ruling in force for say a 6 month visit !:flatcap::jumping:

What happens if you are going abroad?
If you are going abroad for 3 months or less w e will give you a ‘one off’ supply of up to 3x 28-day supply to cover this period
If you spend 6 months abroad in any 12 month period we will give you 1 x 28 day supply . This is enough to last you until you can make arrangement to get further supplies at your destination by, registering with a doctor in the county you are visiting or buying the medication from a pharmacy while you are away
If you are out of the country for more than 6 months under current NHS guidelines we are obliged to de-register you from our list.
Further information on obtaining healthcare whilst living abroad can be found at NHS Choices,