PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me with my Apple Mac G4 problems?

nymph
25-09-2012, 15:38
Hi everyone !
I've just joined and am hoping someone can help me out.
We have an old Apple Mac G4 Powerbook 17" 1.25GHz, operating system 10.4.11, PPC.
Having an error message coming up "post 16/64" which may be a cache problem on the motherboard.
Would any of you know of someone who may be able to give their opinion on whether it is worth fixing. Then we will need to find someone trustworthy to give us a quote for repair.
Cannot find anyone here on La Palma so hoping someone on Tenerife will have some ideas.
Thanks very much.
Nymph

chifleta
25-09-2012, 16:11
i'm very dumb when it comes to technology, but what I do when I have probs is firstly I do a search in yahoo or google with a question e.g. "Apple Mac G4 10.4.11 error message post 16/64" i'd click on the first or second link to whatever comes up (if it's a computer type forum) and have a good read, don't read the first two anwers though, I usually read through quite a few, then read the end ones too as there you get the final answers to see if the answer to your problem is there and the solution worked.... hope that makes sense... give it a go, you'll know what I mean :) :goodluck:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

ps. :welcome: to the forum :D

nymph
25-09-2012, 16:23
i'm very dumb when it comes to technology, but what I do when I have probs is firstly I do a search in yahoo or google with a question e.g. "Apple Mac G4 10.4.11 error message post 16/64" i'd click on the first or second link to whatever comes up (if it's a computer type forum) and have a good read, don't read the first two anwers though, I usually read through quite a few, then read the end ones too as there you get the final answers to see if the answer to your problem is there and the solution worked.... hope that makes sense... give it a go, you'll know what I mean :) :goodluck:

ps. :welcome: to the forum :D

Thank you chifleta for your welcome and reply.

I have googled the error message and it is cache-based, also I have been on live chat with Universomac since I posted this thread, and they say that our Mac is too old and obselete for them to fix. What we really need now is to find someone in the Canaries, preferably Tenerife, who knows Macs and would be willing to have a go at fixing this for us, someone who might have parts lying around or even access to parts from second-hand machines.

This is the kind of problem where someone Mac-minded might say they could fix it if we could get the right part from another machine. It's very old (bought 2002) but we're not ready to give up on it yet !

Thanks for your help

chifleta
25-09-2012, 16:34
If you're on facebook, go on to the Wanted Items Tenerife page and ask there, there is a bloke that is apparently quite good, lots of people have recommended him...

found him, his name is Matthew Laptop-Repairs Brown LOL on facebook

markcuk
25-09-2012, 19:43
Try this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/843387?start=0&tstart=0

nymph
26-09-2012, 01:18
If you're on facebook, go on to the Wanted Items Tenerife page and ask there, there is a bloke that is apparently quite good, lots of people have recommended him...

found him, his name is Matthew Laptop-Repairs Brown LOL on facebook

Thank you so much for this, will call him tomorrow. :thanx:

Try this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/843387?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks - this was great information and has pinned the problem down as far as we are concerned. Now, to get it fixed ! :thanx: