PDA

View Full Version : Other Are the police issuing fines for not wearing a helmet whilst cycling?

Foz
27-09-2012, 09:09
Everyday I keep hearing new cases of unusual fines being issued by the police. The latest include fines for not wearing a helmet while cycling through Las Americas (even though the law states that helmets need not be worn in "urban" areas). If a dog is in the car, apparently it can not be in the front (even in the passenger footwell) and must be "secured" in the back. Also I heard of someone have their push bike taken away as they had "no proof of ownership" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if there is a law stating that a bike rider must carry proof of ownership of their bike?

tonypub
27-09-2012, 10:52
a regular in my bar has had his bike taken by the police.he had no helmet,was on the pavement and no proof of ownership.he has been told he will face a fine,not sure what for just yet.he has gone to the bike shop in el medano for proof of ownership only to find the shop has gone,ceased trading.the bike is only 4 month old and cost him 400e.nice prezzies for the policia local kiddies

Greg
27-09-2012, 20:22
Sounds like the latest scam from a load of algerians rather than the actions of civil servants whose wages we pay. When you buy a bike the receipt doesn't state the frame number. It would be impossible to prove you own it. Filth! :angry:

imablue
27-09-2012, 20:33
Tony, the guy from your pub should go the bike shop at Las Terrazas ,ironically over the road from the police station in Las Americas...see if they can help think they had a shop in El Medano ....

tonypub
27-09-2012, 20:35
Tony, the guy from your pub should go the bike shop at Las Terrazas ,ironically over the road from the police station in Las Americas...see if they can help think they had a shop in El Medano ....cheers doug,yeah he found them today but the owner on holibops,lol.apparently you need to register your bike at the town hall and pay 15euro for license

YOUNG GOLFER
27-09-2012, 23:05
This takes some beating this by the Police..........proof of ownership with youngsters yes............... but not grown adults.

So what happens if you have a hire bike while on holiday for a few days and the reciept is in the apartment?

seanocelt
28-09-2012, 02:24
cheers doug,yeah he found them today but the owner on holibops,lol.apparently you need to register your bike at the town hall and pay 15euro for license

Priceless. Literally. Wait till they clamp down on the "disabled" scooterists...jackpot! Getting beyond a joke now.

Jelly Baby
28-09-2012, 08:22
To be honest the way people drive in Tenerife you would be mad not to be wearing a cycle helmet. I have seen countless experienced cyclists kn

canarybird
28-09-2012, 09:02
This isn't exactly on topic regarding fines in Tenerife, but it is about unusual traffic fines.

I saw this interesting news clip from Vancouver Island yesterday on a little-known law on the books there where people can be fined for leaving their car windows open. Here's the clip. Sorry it opens with an advertisement first, then comes the news clip.

RCMP stands for Royal Canadian Mounted Police which is the national police force of Canada.

http://video.cheknews.ca/services/player/bcpid1011606683001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA4mHNTzE~,ejlzBnG UUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=1863199327001

Angusjim
28-09-2012, 10:20
Priceless. Literally. Wait till they clamp down on the "disabled" scooterists...jackpot! Getting beyond a joke now.

They should also clamp down on crap Celtic supporting guitar playing singers :wave::guitar1::cheeky:

junglejim
28-09-2012, 10:25
You really are getting a bitter old bird AJ! It must be all it must be all that damp weather you're suffering AJ - time for a holiday !

Angusjim
28-09-2012, 10:30
You really are getting a bitter old bird AJ! It must be all it must be all that damp weather you're suffering AJ - time for a holiday !

Your right JJ must improve my attitude on here sorry Sean :shy: for 2 bob I would hop on plane but its mental at work just now so no more hols for me until Hogmany for 11 days

junglejim
28-09-2012, 10:42
At least you're busy Jim that's great! We didn't get any of expected rain this week down here- just to stay on topic , can you register your bike with police here ?

Angusjim
28-09-2012, 10:49
This takes some beating this by the Police..........proof of ownership with youngsters yes............... but not grown adults.

So what happens if you have a hire bike while on holiday for a few days and the reciept is in the apartment?

Good question YG I am going to ask because I hire a bike when I am over I shall ask the question of Emma at Sunshine thats where I hire my bike from

seanocelt
28-09-2012, 11:32
They should also clamp down on crap Celtic supporting guitar playing singers :wave::guitar1::cheeky:

They did, i pay to play now, nobody pays me. Im a third rate entertainer. Better than 3rd division though.

emskie
28-09-2012, 11:45
When customers hire a bike for one our shops we issue them with an official receipt from the owner of the bikes. This covers insurance and also if you need proof of ownership would cover this as well.
:)
The helmets I haven’t heard anything about this, if it was compulsory we would have been notified!

Balcony
28-09-2012, 13:23
The Spanish helmet law came into effect from 23rd January 2004. It applies to bicycle riders of all ages. However it does not apply: to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists.

A fine of up to EUR90 can be imposed for not wearing a helmet.

How are the police interpretting the law? To suit themselves, no doubt, since they probably remain unchallenged.

Foz
29-09-2012, 18:25
cheers doug,yeah he found them today but the owner on holibops,lol.apparently you need to register your bike at the town hall and pay 15euro for license

A license??????????' A license for what exactly??? Are they seriously saying you need a license to ride a push bike now?

tonypub
29-09-2012, 19:44
A license??????????' A license for what exactly??? Are they seriously saying you need a license to ride a push bike now?im told an offence with points could be deductable from a full driving license.

carpenter
29-09-2012, 20:11
Spanish bureaucracy is the grave digger and the Guardia Civil and Policia Local are the undertakers and coffin makers respectfully.

Tenerife is ridiculous, it's another nail in the coffin for a once thriving island

Foz
29-09-2012, 20:51
im told an offence with points could be deductable from a full driving license.

I heard that too ....... but you said something about paying 15€ for a license? Not being funny but I bet very few people have registered bikes at the town hall!

JillADavidson
02-10-2012, 21:43
Slightly off topic, but what about those daft b*ggers who ride mopeds/motorbikes with bare or thinly protected arms and legs? There must surely be a law about that as well??

carpenter
02-10-2012, 22:41
Slightly off topic, but what about those daft b*ggers who ride mopeds/motorbikes with bare or thinly protected arms and legs? There must surely be a law about that as well??

The only clothing you have to wear on a motorbike in the UK is a helmet. If you don't it's a £20 fine I think. Oh and underwear you can't go out in the nude.

It's just that they are stupid here, beyond stupid they are moronic. But that's another thread

KirstyJay
03-10-2012, 01:10
All parents at my kids school got a letter today telling parents to be sensible when collecting their kids, and not pick them up on motorbikes.

It's not brain surgery, is it... But you'd be surprised how many do. :eek: