PDA

View Full Version : Women and their handbags

Malteser Monkey
28-09-2012, 12:57
According to the Daily Mail

Emergency loo roll, chocolate and spare knickers: What women REALLY keep in their handbags (and why men are afraid of them)
Average handbag costs £96 and holds 40 items with a combined value of £110.25
82% of us believe the contents of a woman's handbag reveals a lot about her personality
42% of women say looking inside someone's handbag is as personal as reading her text messages

Though, curiously, only 72 per cent of women actually carry money or bank cards with them.

The research also revealed the average cost of a woman's handbag as £96, and found that most of us carry 40 items inside them, with a combined total of £110.25.
Women in Birmingham are the biggest handbag hoarders, lugging an average of 63 individual items around with them every day.
Prepared to spend up to £1,000 on a singular bag (and averaging £119 per tote), Londoners spend more on their handbags than women anywhere else in the country.
But it's the Yorkshire woman who carries the most expensive items around with her - a combined value of £132.
Although women between the ages of 18 and 24 spend the least on their handbags (on average just £89), they do tend to spend more than any other age group on its contents - a combined average of £153).
Of all women, it's those in Women in Northern Ireland who are more likely to carry a bar of chocolate in their bags (25 per cent) than they are a diary or address book (16 per cent).

And more than a third of the 2,000 women surveyed in London, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the West Midlands refuse to leave the house without chocolate in their bags.
Furthermore, it seems that one in five Welsh women would rather let a stranger use their toothbrush than have someone look in their bag.

Seen as a girl's most private possession, 42 per cent of British women say that someone looking in their bag is as intrusive as reading her personal emails or text messages.
The stigma surrounding a woman's handbag means that men report feeling a mixture of afraid, intimidated and nervous about its contents. And one in five British men have never even considered taking a peek inside one.

So what's in your bag ?:cheeky:

LUCKY
28-09-2012, 13:40
:feret:My goodness me . i have been to argos this morning to buy a suitcase, got a large one. Dont tell me the O/H is going to use it as a Handbag.:flatcap::feret::feret:

cainaries
28-09-2012, 14:01
OKaaay....

Passport
Residencia
Prescriptions
Some receipts I am terrified of losing so have never taken them out of there
Mobile
Tissues (not loo paper but can be used as such in an emergency)
House keys
Wallet
Several old shopping lists which I am now discarding (thanks for making me look through, MM)
Hairbrush
Ibuprofen
2 Lipsalves
2 pens
More ibuprofen
Empty packet of sleeping pills

wow -chucked lots of stuff out ... nothing too revealing in there, thank goodness.

My kindle goes in there if we are going anywhere where we might have to wait for something ... i.e. most of the time.

Malteser Monkey
28-09-2012, 14:15
OKaaay....

Passport
Residencia
Prescriptions
Mobile
House keys
Wallet
Several old shopping lists which I am now discarding (thanks for making me look through, MM)
Hairbrush
Ibuprofen
2 Lipsalves
2 pens
More ibuprofen

wow -chucked lots of stuff out ... nothing too revealing in there, thank goodness.

My kindle goes in there if we are going anywhere where we might have to wait for something ... i.e. most of the time.

wow ! thanks C

2 lipsalves - one for top and other for bottom...........(that sounds funny now I've typed it) Bottom lip !

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

:feret:My goodness me . i have been to argos this morning to buy a suitcase, got a large one. Dont tell me the O/H is going to use it as a Handbag.:flatcap::feret::feret:

nope that's for the ferets:cheeky:

primrose
28-09-2012, 14:19
OKaaay....

Passport
Residencia
Prescriptions
Mobile
House keys
Wallet
Hairbrush
Ibuprofen
2 Lipsalves
2 pens
More ibuprofen

Have you picked my bag up by mistake.:confused:

Malteser Monkey
28-09-2012, 14:37
Ohhh LOL going through mine now

Mobile & headphones
keys
purse
suger free mints
note pad and pen
various pills
the unforgettable brolley:rain:
the unforgettable corkscrew
impulse
brush
tape measure
tiny screw driver
plaster
hair band
Olbas Oil inhaler stick
tissues
a AAA battery ???
euromillions and thunderball tickets
shopping list
feret (oops no tht's not mine that's Mrs Lucky's)
Eye drops
travel iron and vibr... (only joking)
Usb Pen drive thingy

there we go

Suej
28-09-2012, 14:39
Blimey that could be anyone's bag Monkey!
To add to your list!
Plasters
Swiss army knife type thing!:dontknow:
Measuring tape
Glasses (broken)
mints
Tooth interspace brushes
Credit cards (mostly out of date or used to the max)
Ikea pencils (at least 4 or 5)
Vicks nose inhaler
Small unidentifiable objects (bits off things that I want to get while I'm out but never do)

I think I need a bigger bag! :nails:

Malteser Monkey
28-09-2012, 14:42
Blimey that could be anyone's bag Monkey!
To add to your list!
Plasters
Swiss army knife type thing!:dontknow:
Measuring tape
Glasses (broken)
mints
Tooth interspace brushes
Credit cards (mostly out of date or used to the max)
Ikea pencils (at least 4 or 5)
Vicks nose inhaler
Small unidentifiable objects (bits off things that I want to get while I'm out but never do)

I think I need a bigger bag! :nails:

Swiss Army knife - you'd get arrested over here for that :cheeky:
Measuring tape as opposed to my tape measure eh hmmmmmm :cheeky:

Suej
28-09-2012, 14:50
Swiss Army knife - you'd get arrested over here for that :cheeky:
Measuring tape as opposed to my tape measure eh hmmmmmm :cheeky:

USB memory! what filth are you taking to work to look at on your pc? Eh?? Eh??:devil2:

Malteser Monkey
28-09-2012, 15:08
USB memory! what filth are you taking to work to look at on your pc? Eh?? Eh??:devil2:

The pictures I said I would send to you :crylaughing:

Funny I got the olbas oil stick and you the vicks

Suej
28-09-2012, 16:21
The pictures I said I would send to you :crylaughing:

Funny I got the olbas oil stick and you the vicks

Ooooh! those pictures!!!:wow:

chifleta
28-09-2012, 16:32
According to the Daily Mail

Emergency loo roll, chocolate and spare knickers: What women REALLY keep in their handbags (and why men are afraid of them)
Average handbag costs £96 and holds 40 items with a combined value of £110.25
82% of us believe the contents of a woman's handbag reveals a lot about her personality
42% of women say looking inside someone's handbag is as personal as reading her text messages

Though, curiously, only 72 per cent of women actually carry money or bank cards with them.

The research also revealed the average cost of a woman's handbag as £96, and found that most of us carry 40 items inside them, with a combined total of £110.25.
Women in Birmingham are the biggest handbag hoarders, lugging an average of 63 individual items around with them every day.
Prepared to spend up to £1,000 on a singular bag (and averaging £119 per tote), Londoners spend more on their handbags than women anywhere else in the country.
But it's the Yorkshire woman who carries the most expensive items around with her - a combined value of £132.
Although women between the ages of 18 and 24 spend the least on their handbags (on average just £89), they do tend to spend more than any other age group on its contents - a combined average of £153).
Of all women, it's those in Women in Northern Ireland who are more likely to carry a bar of chocolate in their bags (25 per cent) than they are a diary or address book (16 per cent).

And more than a third of the 2,000 women surveyed in London, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the West Midlands refuse to leave the house without chocolate in their bags.
Furthermore, it seems that one in five Welsh women would rather let a stranger use their toothbrush than have someone look in their bag.

Seen as a girl's most private possession, 42 per cent of British women say that someone looking in their bag is as intrusive as reading her personal emails or text messages.
The stigma surrounding a woman's handbag means that men report feeling a mixture of afraid, intimidated and nervous about its contents. And one in five British men have never even considered taking a peek inside one.

So what's in your bag ?:cheeky:

i'm sorry but WHO THE FFFF comes up with these things.... HOW MUCH? are you joking!! i've never spent more than 30 euros on a handbag, and that was 20 euros too much.... my best buy was a black leather mini rucksack, which I love, cost me 20 euros and i'd spent 2 years trying to find the right one... shame they didn't have one in beige....

i'm at gym most mornings, so my purple mini rucksack is my other "handbag" LOL ... I take stuff out every day, I've got other bags but they are hardly used as too small/basic and doesn't fit a bottle of water AND my reading glasses in at the same time hahaha....

In my rucksack I always permanently have:
packet tissues - strawberry orbit chewing gum (only type that doesn't give me migraine) - emergency migraine tablets (2 types, plus paracetomol), cotton wool (to use as ear plugs in gym, migraine control when music too loud), ummm oh, plasters for blisters on heals, gym card, pen, 2x glucose sport sweets, mp3 player, towel and gym gloves. Then I put in daily my mobile, reading glasses, purse (gotta have a cuppa after so normally only have about 1.20€ in cash then credit card just in case the girls fancy a bimble round the shops LOL.... oh and sometimes android tablet (but not every day).

if you look in my 2 or 3 small "popping out for 10 mins" bags i've probably got tissue, migraine pills and girly necesities in each bag, so that I don't have to remember to swap it all over :)

sheeeeeeeeeeeesh....... note, no makeup LOL I probably only wear makeup once a week as i'm still not working.

oh wait, in my purse is all the normal rubbish cards, photos, shopping receipts, things to do lists, mini plastificated NIE and passport... no I don't carry my original around, sue me... not been asked for it in 20 years....

oh good grief... i also nearly always have my camera too, and i've just bought a mini half size fan coz this heat is doing my head in......and house keys I forgot, and my little diary (with more lists of things to do/buy).... but like I said, I take most of it out daily hahaha...
I doubt whether the contents come to much more than 200 euros, but it would be the pain in the neck replacement of it all if I lost it...

cainaries
28-09-2012, 17:37
i'm sorry but WHO THE FFFF comes up with these things.... HOW MUCH? are you joking!! i've never spent more than 30 euros on a handbag, and that was 20 euros too much.... my best buy was a black leather mini rucksack, which I love, cost me 20 euros and i'd spent 2 years trying to find the right one... shame they didn't have one in beige....

i'm at gym most mornings, so my purple mini rucksack is my other "handbag" LOL ... I take stuff out every day, I've got other bags but they are hardly used as too small/basic and doesn't fit a bottle of water AND my reading glasses in at the same time hahaha....

packet tissues - strawberry orbit chewing gum (only type that doesn't give me migraine) - emergency migraine tablets (2 types, plus paracetomol), cotton wool (to use as ear plugs in gym, migraine control when music too loud), ummm oh, plasters for blisters on heals, gym card, pen, 2x glucose sport sweets, mp3 player, towel and gym gloves. Then I put in daily my mobile, reading glasses, purse (gotta have a cuppa after so normally only have about 1.20€ in cash then credit card just in case the girls fancy a bimble round the shops LOL.... oh and sometimes android tablet (but not every day).

if you look in my 2 or 3 small "popping out for 10 mins" bags i've probably got tissue, migraine pills and girly necesities in each bag, so that I don't have to remember to swap it all over :)

sheeeeeeeeeeeesh....... note, no makeup LOL I probably only wear makeup once a week as i'm still not working.

oh wait, in my purse is all the normal rubbish cards, photos, shopping receipts, things to do lists, mini plastificated NIE and passport... no I don't carry my original around, sue me... not been asked for it in 20 years....

oh good grief... i also nearly always have my camera too, and i've just bought a mini half size fan coz this heat is doing my head in......and house keys I forgot, and my little diary (with more lists of things to do/buy).... but like I said, I take most of it out daily hahaha...
I doubt whether the contents come to much more than 200 euros, but it would be the pain in the neck replacement of it all if I lost it...

Er, do you suffer from migraines, by any chance!? Poor thing if you do. The value of the contents of my bag .. apart from replacing the wallet which I treated myself to about 10 years ago so might be €50 would be the cost of replacing the paperwork. No make-up in mine either nowadays. Gone are the days when I would almost not get out of bed until I had my face on.

Tom & Sharon
28-09-2012, 17:46
I (Sharon of course) tend not to carry a big bag, so I can't fill it with garbage.

I only carry my passport, card holder with all my bank cards and driving licence, perfume, lipstick, mobile and a pen.

If I were to carry things like loo roll or spare knickers, you can bet your bottom dollar I would catch them on my pen and flick them on to someone's head, right when I didn't want to. Like if I were to meet George Clooney in Mercadona or something............

lesbroz
28-09-2012, 17:47
Crikey. Who are these women that they survey.

My daily handbag was a present about 5 years (approx £50). I love it dearly.

Contents: Purse, Credit Cards, Umbrella, I Pod, Reading Glasses, Mobile, Comb, Tissues, Lipstick and the odd elastoplast.

Reasonable I think.

Tom & Sharon
28-09-2012, 18:01
Talking of how much women spend on their handbags, I do like to have a good one. However I saw the wife of http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/lords/john-evans/26895(not sure if that makes her Lady or not)
this morning while I was out, and she was carrying the cheapest old plastic handbag ever. It actually caught my eye because it was so cheap. You'd think he'd buy her a good one wouldn't you?

LUCKY
28-09-2012, 18:03
Has someone when composing the list of articles forgotten to add FLUFF !!!!!:flatcap::flatcap::feret::feret:

warbey
28-09-2012, 18:10
And in Mine I have...............

Only Joking.............:mad: :tiphat::tiphat:

cainaries
28-09-2012, 18:46
Talking of how much women spend on their handbags, I do like to have a good one. However I saw the wife of http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/lords/john-evans/26895(not sure if that makes her Lady or not)
this morning while I was out, and she was carrying the cheapest old plastic handbag ever. It actually caught my eye because it was so cheap. You'd think he'd buy her a good one wouldn't you?

That link was quite funny in that it says 'address as Lord Evans' ... gosh, yes, plebs, do get that right!

minimadmandy
28-09-2012, 23:27
Here's mine
Glasses, tissues, phone, purse, keys, hundreds of receipts, "to do" lists that never get done, mini sketch book, pencils, iPod, screwdriver, plastic black spider, mini cat, bouncy ball, half a chocolate frog and an apple.

In my defence the chocolate and mini cat are my daughters.

cainaries
28-09-2012, 23:28
Here's mine
Glasses, tissues, phone, purse, keys, hundreds of receipts, "to do" lists that never get done, mini sketch book, pencils, iPod, screwdriver, plastic black spider, mini cat, bouncy ball, half a chocolate frog and an apple.

In my defence the chocolate and mini cat are my daughters.

And the plastic black spider because ....??

chifleta
29-09-2012, 00:00
Er, do you suffer from migraines, by any chance!? Poor thing if you do. The value of the contents of my bag .. apart from replacing the wallet which I treated myself to about 10 years ago so might be €50 would be the cost of replacing the paperwork. No make-up in mine either nowadays. Gone are the days when I would almost not get out of bed until I had my face on.

yeah, how did you guess LOL ..... and ditto, I remember the days (in the 80s at least) where I wouldn't leave the house without my blue eyeliner and matching blue mascara on hahahaha

:crylaughing: thanks Sharon, you gave me a laugh that I needed
I (Sharon of course) tend not to carry a big bag, so I can't fill it with garbage.

I only carry my passport, card holder with all my bank cards and driving licence, perfume, lipstick, mobile and a pen.

If I were to carry things like loo roll or spare knickers, you can bet your bottom dollar I would catch them on my pen and flick them on to someone's head, right when I didn't want to. Like if I were to meet George Clooney in Mercadona or something............

minimadmandy
29-09-2012, 09:56
And the plastic black spider because ....??

Left over from Halloween party last year, part of my costume and I can't bare to part with it!

Malteser Monkey
29-09-2012, 11:40

Yes Chifi I agree I now own the most expensive bag I ever have £30.00 bought for Xmas by my Aunty - I was a between £10 and £20 for a bag girl (shoes and boots are a totally different matter !):crazy:

This is Tom really isn't it :crylaughing:

And in Mine I have...............

Only Joking.............:mad: :tiphat::tiphat:

you could have a Man bag Warbs - would you carry loo roll ? or just a screwdriver ?

yeah, how did you guess LOL ..... and ditto, I remember the days (in the 80s at least) where I wouldn't leave the house without my blue eyeliner and matching blue mascara on hahahaha

OMG and I had purple too, liner and mascara ! ahhhhhhhhhhh the memories !

chifleta
29-09-2012, 14:15
Yes Chifi I agree I now own the most expensive bag I ever have £30.00 bought for Xmas by my Aunty - I was a between £10 and £20 for a bag girl (shoes and boots are a totally different matter !):crazy:

OMG and I had purple too, liner and mascara ! ahhhhhhhhhhh the memories !

shoes are definately another matter - these are my wedding shoes (if they fit, mum is bringing them over in November :woo::jump2::jump2::heyhey:
http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-ramona-purple?si1589784=&channel=4&mr:referralID=b9554c08-a2b0-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0&zfcTest=fw:0

And yes, purple mascara and eyline too.... as you can see by the shoes, it's my favourite colour :spin:

warbey
29-09-2012, 19:13
In My Man-Bag would be a small Tin/Tube of Vaseline, a Nail file Wipes and Tissues

A small Camera. Maybe a small Bottle of Water. A small Flask of Coffee.

That should cover most eventualities.. OOoooh, a Pen as well as some Paper.or Diary.

We could call the Man Bag a Briefcase..?......lol

Santiago
29-09-2012, 22:15
Golly, some of you seem to carry everything and the kitchen sink! I have just bought a new bag - cost £20 -the first for about 15 years - and have transferred everything from the old bag which contained:

Large purse with some small change, cards, driving licence, etc.
Sunglasses case
One Blackberry mobile phone
Three M&S carrier bags in case of need
One metal 10 foot tape
One gift card containing a five year old £10 voucher for the local garden centre

And that's it. It looks a thoroughly pathetic compared with all the other lists but then I don't often carry it anywhere as I prefer to keep things in my pockets!

cainaries
29-09-2012, 22:39
Hmm... I wonder why it is that I haven't got a tape measure in my bag ... what are you all sizing up¿?!¿

warbey
30-09-2012, 19:14
Hmm... I wonder why it is that I haven't got a tape measure in my bag ... what are you all sizing up¿?!¿

I would like to know too......

ciderhunter
30-09-2012, 19:30
Has someone when composing the list of articles forgotten to add FLUFF !!!!!:flatcap::flatcap::feret::feret:

And what about the list of everything your fella has ever done wrong ever. Isn't that kept in there too?

Santiago
30-09-2012, 21:53
And what about the list of everything your fella has ever done wrong ever. Isn't that kept in there too?

My feller never does anything wrong - or nothing that I would care to share with a piece of paper! :laugh:

kingbaker
30-09-2012, 22:34
:crylaughing:

Flippin 'eck (one of my nice new British expressions) Chiffy you'd need a Haulage Licence for that lot!!!!!!:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::c rylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing: :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

I dont carry a man-bag, I just make sure to carry the following
Spectaces, Tes***les, Wallet and Watch. HA!! HA!!!! :crylaughing::wave::wave:

Malteser Monkey
01-10-2012, 10:01

Flippin 'eck (one of my nice new British expressions) Chiffy you'd need a Haulage Licence for that lot!!!!!!:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::c rylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing: :crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

Trust you to lower the tone:crylaughing:

shoes are definately another matter - these are my wedding shoes (if they fit, mum is bringing them over in November :woo::jump2::jump2::heyhey:
http://www.zappos.com/rsvp-ramona-purple?si1589784=&channel=4&mr:referralID=b9554c08-a2b0-11e1-ac63-001b2166c2c0&zfcTest=fw:0

And yes, purple mascara and eyline too.... as you can see by the shoes, it's my favourite colour :spin:

Wow they're nice ! No bit more than that they're gorgeous Chifs

Where's out invite ?? when't the big day - tell us more - if not here downstairs in the vault hun

chifleta
01-10-2012, 15:07

LOL like I said, I carry a mini rucksack normally, and my leather handbag looks like a mini ruck sack too hehehehe......
ps when it's a gym day with my rucksack I also have towel, gym gloves, 1 or 2 bottles of water, and two days of the week "spinning" shoes LOL

Trust you to lower the tone:crylaughing:

Wow they're nice ! No bit more than that they're gorgeous Chifs

Where's out invite ?? when't the big day - tell us more - if not here downstairs in the vault hun

LOL next May, the invite's are in the post.............. :liar::eyebrows::lol:

Malteser Monkey
01-10-2012, 15:44

soopa - I'll need a new frock then

cainaries
01-10-2012, 17:03
soopa - I'll need a new frock then

You'd better not get it in purple, MM!

warbey
01-10-2012, 19:50

I dont really think I would want to Watch..:redcard::redcard:

kingbaker
02-10-2012, 09:50
)
Usb Pen drive thingy

there we go[/QUOTE]

VIBR......You're getti'n very bold Monkey!!!!!!!!!:nono::nono::nono::nono::crylaughin g:

LOL like I said, I carry a mini rucksack normally, and my leather handbag looks like a mini ruck sack too hehehehe......
ps when it's a gym day with my rucksack I also have towel, gym gloves, 1 or 2 bottles of water, and two days of the week "spinning" shoes LOL

Which 'POST' has the invitations???:crylaughing::crylaughing:

Malteser Monkey
02-10-2012, 09:55
)
Usb Pen drive thingy

there we go

VIBR......You're getti'n very bold Monkey!!!!!!!!!:nono::nono::nono::nono::crylaughin g:[/QUOTE]

:crylaughing: only joking it wouldn't fit:eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::r ofl: only joking

How's about pink ?

chifleta
02-10-2012, 13:52

purple is great, we'll all match LOL.... it's only my shoes that are purple :D

)
Usb Pen drive thingy

there we go

VIBR......You're getti'n very bold Monkey!!!!!!!!!:nono::nono::nono::nono::crylaughin g:

Which 'POST' has the invitations???:crylaughing::crylaughing:[/QUOTE]

ohh myy, hasn't it arrived yet then? :spin: