PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Information needed about living and working in Tenerife

ali.humanski
28-09-2012, 14:01
hey there, just joined on here. i have recently been living abroad in both Egypt and Corfu so used to being away from the UK, so much in fact that at 21 years of age i have decided i would like to stay in Tenerife Playa de las americas for the foreseeable future. I know this may sound like a typical 21 year old wanting to go and 'live it up' in Tenerife, but i assure you I am very serious about this. so.... at first i would like to come over around march time, find bar work or something along those lines and rent an apartments or single accommodation. And in the future go into buying a bar with my mother. so what i would like to know is any useful tips i could know before packing up my bags? is it easy to find accommodation once in Tenerife or beforehand?, what is it like to find work around March time in Playa de las americas? and what is general living like for UK immigrants over there? I have visited the place many times but never looked into these things so maybe somebody could help :)
thankyou
Ali

tonypub
28-09-2012, 14:07
hey there, just joined on here. i have recently been living abroad in both Egypt and Corfu so used to being away from the UK, so much in fact that at 21 years of age i have decided i would like to stay in Tenerife Playa de las americas for the foreseeable future. I know this may sound like a typical 21 year old wanting to go and 'live it up' in Tenerife, but i assure you I am very serious about this. so.... at first i would like to come over around march time, find bar work or something along those lines and rent an apartments or single accommodation. And in the future go into buying a bar with my mother. so what i would like to know is any useful tips i could know before packing up my bags? is it easy to find accommodation once in Tenerife or beforehand?, what is it like to find work around March time in Playa de las americas? and what is general living like for UK immigrants over there? I have visited the place many times but never looked into these things so maybe somebody could help :)
thankyou
Aliwhats your budget for buying a bar?

ali.humanski
28-09-2012, 14:09
at the moment havn't really set a budget as i want to go to the island work in a bar at first, ensure i like the place and living there and then look into buying. My mother owned a shop for 40 years so she is dealing with the buisness sicde of things at first whilst i learn.. why do you ask?

Tom & Sharon
28-09-2012, 16:44
thankyou
Ali

at the moment havn't really set a budget as i want to go to the island work in a bar at first, ensure i like the place and living there and then look into buying. My mother owned a shop for 40 years so she is dealing with the buisness sicde of things at first whilst i learn.. why do you ask?

Tony's question was probably a bit tongue in cheek Ali.

You are very, very young to be considering buying a bar in Tenerife. You may have lived in Egypt & Corfu, and that is great, but moving to Tenerife and buying a bar with your mother is a whole different ball game.

You can trust hardly anyone in Tenerife, as people find out on a daily basis. Just read this forum every day for a few weeks and you will see what I mean. There will be someone, somewhere, maybe very plausible, just waiting to take your mother's life savings from her. The fact that she had a shop in the UK for 40 years means nothing, and I mean nothing. This is an island of sharks, it has a different set of rules, both legal and moral from the UK. If you had said your mum had been running a successful Nigerian scam for the last 40 years, I would have said you had more chance.

It is not the right time economically to buy a bar anyway. Some people make a success, Tony being one, but far more fail, and they fail pretty quickly. It is possible to arrive, buy a bar, lose all your life savings, and be back in the UK within 6 months, and I am not joking!

Come over, get a job in a bar and have a great time. You are only young, and that's what being young is about. Your mum could even join you for a very extended holiday, and you could have a fantastic time.

Tell her to leave her life savings at home though!

Javi
28-09-2012, 18:18
Hi Ali!

I am Spanish citizen and Canarian resident. In my opinion and on my own experience Tom has given you some good advices; you are too young and the current situation is not good. On the other hand, I really admire your brave decision and I want to tell you that if things were easy everyone would come to Tenerife to make a good business.
My advice for you would be: come alone with savings enough to allow you stay hear for at least 3 or four months, try to find a job - perhaps easier than thought - and Please, do not touch your mother's saving and she must not leave her business in UK.

Finally, this is not an Island of Sharks. Of course, they are but you can find them around the world. Actually, I regard this is the proper moment to start a business here because it is in hard times when everyone is frightened and cowered

Good luck and live your dream.