PDA

View Full Version : Information needed about the job market in Tenerife

hanna
28-09-2012, 15:23
Hello! My boyfriend and I are thinking to move to Tenerife, but we would like to get some information about the job market, we both have many years of experience as chef and waitress. Are there many vacancies around this time of year(october/november)? thank u all for some info! enjoy ur day! hanna

northern1
28-09-2012, 22:30
Saw today atleast one pub in san eugenio looking for experienced cook.

obs
28-09-2012, 23:49
Hello! My boyfriend and I are thinking to move to Tenerife, but we would like to get some information about the job market, we both have many years of experience as chef and waitress. Are there many vacancies around this time of year(october/november)? thank u all for some info! enjoy ur day! hanna

Hanna, think very carefully about what you may be giving up. The unemployment rate here is around 33%, and rising. It is a nice dream, but the reality is sadly different.
If you do come over, don't burn your bridges, save, and come over for a few months, give yourselves time to look around and assess the situation, then make a decision. I really don't want to P on your parade, but it is practical. :goodluck:

slodgedad
29-09-2012, 01:07
The job market here is dire, even if you speak Spanish.

However, providing you are not giving up a decent job in the UK, and you are prepared for a lot of disappointments, then if your heart is set on it give it a go.

Medanoman
02-10-2012, 04:01
Sadly even two languages is not enough these days. 10 years ago one could get a job almost anywhere with English and Spanish. Nowadays they ask for 4 and 5 languages and still only want to pay under a thousand Euros a month.

Unemployment is bad, if you are lucky and do find a job here it is unlikely to be good, as newbies here you need to be careful and at least get yourselves registered here and working under a contract of some type. Chances are it will not be a very good contract, but working without a contract can get you in serious trouble.

I have had friends that worked in bars for 20 years here. Twenty years is enough to get you a pension here. Alas, they were on a dodgy contract for only a couple of hours a day instead of the 9 he worked. He was laid off when the bar was closed for refurbishment ( after 20 years work) and didn't get a penny in redundancy. and had nothing to claim for on the dole. Note also , if there is an accident at work and you are off recovering from a broken leg while working under a contract that only pays you for a couple of hours a day that is what your sick pay will be...Be careful and know your rights.