PDA

View Full Version : Employment Are there many timeshare or closer sales roles in Tenerife?

Kirky2k4
29-09-2012, 10:49
Currently working for a well known home improvement company in the uk on a commission only basis which I have done for over 2 years now, I do like my job and earn a very good living from it which lets me take 3 or 4 2week holidays in Spain each year but really would like to move out to Tenerife,

The thing is its a do now or never as I have 3 children eldest being 3years 6 months old so is approaching school age and would like them to adjust before starting a Spanish school ,

I have looked into it constantly for 2 years but now I'm looking at actually doing this ,

I'm guessing I would need to be in a commission job selling time shares to earn a simpler living , my current uk wage is between £40-60k a year si I'm guessing to be able to live comfortably with a wife and 3 kids I would need a job that exceeds €40,000 and I know with my working career I need be in sales to get that ,

Is their much timeshare work available still in tenerife

All info / help / advice appreciated

Simon

TF1
29-09-2012, 11:34
The crimeshare industry has practically fizzled out, apart from a few spin-off scams . There are very few jobs which would pay you 40k here, but the cost of living can be low if you are willing to adapt your lifestyle.
Think hard before moving your family, Spain is in a recession which will probably go on for several years.

Kirky2k4
29-09-2012, 13:38
Would have thought quite a few commision only roles avalible as in uk because the turn around of staff is astronomical , same with any commision only job you need to sell to earn but like you say recesion is hitting hard ,

golf birdie
29-09-2012, 13:43
the only way you will make 40-60K in Tenerife is to become a bank robber.

TF1
29-09-2012, 14:02
the only way you will make 40-60K in Tenerife is to become a bank robber.

Or a banker ....:cheeky:

TenerifeTeddy
29-09-2012, 16:28
Diamond, Club La Costa & Pearly Grey (Perla Gris) seem to have a good reputation here as some of the better companies. I am not in the industry but I know a couple of people who are, who have been doing it for quite some time and who earn €4k plus per month, but they are good at what they do. I guess you don't survive in it if you are not.

Not my scene and I am sure some are more ethical than others but, as I am sure you are aware Tenerife has had more than it's fair share of crooks in that industry so it's probably a good idea to check out the companies yourself to see what they are like.

timmylish
29-09-2012, 23:48
There are still sufficient T/s resorts/offices working and the very best at these resorts would earn in your bracket. The main problem for a novice coming into the industry is that, in the main, the top guys get the very best leads and always have done so new people have to be more than exceptional to get on the pay level you seek. You are clearly confident enough but you do have a family and that might be your downfall as this industry tends to consume you and the level of inter activity between salespeople is extremely high so, as a possible alternative, why not try T/s in the UK with a company like La Costa. At least this way you are not leaving the UK immediately and can try the industry out.
Before retiring thru ill health I worked in the industry for 22 odd years, mainly here on Tenerife.

Angusjim
30-09-2012, 07:33
There are still sufficient T/s resorts/offices working and the very best at these resorts would earn in your bracket. The main problem for a novice coming into the industry is that, in the main, the top guys get the very best leads and always have done so new people have to be more than exceptional to get on the pay level you seek. You are clearly confident enough but you do have a family and that might be your downfall as this industry tends to consume you and the level of inter activity between salespeople is extremely high so, as a possible alternative, why not try T/s in the UK with a company like La Costa. At least this way you are not leaving the UK immediately and can try the industry out.
Before retiring thru ill health I worked in the industry for 22 odd years, mainly here on Tenerife.

Its a good industry to make money in if you have no morals and can accept you are carrying out legalised fraud by selling something to people that instantly has a value of zero and who will never be able to sell it again or even give it away. But hey as long as you get your commision who cares who gets hurt along the way:(

Kirky2k4
30-09-2012, 08:18
No offence to the above post but if you don't sell it some 1 else will , why let them make money out it , why not make the money your self ,

I worked in high pressure sales a while now and to start with I couldn't do it I was bottoming every deal out or just not selling but then I would see some other company go see the same customers and make a fortune from it so after a while I toughened up and started selling , like I say if you don't sell it some 1 else will

It's the only job I know where you can make 1000 a week legally

Ps I appreciate all the comments above I'm not slating any 1 I will take all the above on board , I understand I need look at the bigger picture 1st ,,,,

Some people don't realise how much money is in this sort of thing and as long as you can sell you will make big money

Don't get me wrong I know about gold finger and a few other crime share company's so would look fully Into it

Cheers every 1

Angusjim
30-09-2012, 08:26
No offence to the above post but if you don't sell it some 1 else will , why let them make money out it , why not make the money your self ,

I worked in high pressure sales a while now and to start with I couldn't do it I was bottoming every deal out or just not selling but then I would see some other company go see the same customers and make a fortune from it so after a while I toughened up and started selling , like I say if you don't sell it some 1 else will

It's the only job I know where you can make 1000 a week legally

Ps I appreciate all the comments above I'm not slating any 1 I will take all the above on board , I understand I need look at the bigger picture 1st ,,,,

Some people don't realise how much money is in this sort of thing and as long as you can sell you will make big money

Don't get me wrong I know about gold finger and a few other crime share company's so would look fully Into it

Cheers every 1

Well looks like you have all the assets that is required to sell timeshare and you will fit in well, good luck with your career choice that brings heartbreak to thousands and happiness to a few:(

marbro8
30-09-2012, 10:31
i thought timeshare selling in tenerife was dead??? it's a bit like going to the klondike to find a gold strike??? for the last 3 years at least i have seen the numbers dwindle to about 6-8 people standing on corners trying to con you into going to a presentation, i realise that you are probably further up the tree than these street hawkers but surely it's been done to death?, i heard that they have now moved on to thailand and cyprus, i personally will not give them the time of day but my wife is not so tolerant:laugh:, i wish you well in finding employment because you have a young family to feed. but not in a profession that's morally wrong:(

tfs1
30-09-2012, 11:01
Timeshare/holiday clubs - all tarnished with the same bad image and rightly so, selling overpriced dreams that turn into worthless nightmares for those unfortunates who these type of people pray on.

Someone I know bought a weeks timeshare in Gran Canaria for £12k and eventually managed to get rid of it for £3k.

The £300 maintenance payment every year for his 1 week in October meant he could have got a weeks holiday at the same place for £300 and still kept his £12k in the bank and not lost £9k foor his trouble. Clearly good salesmen were at work earning several £k's commision from him - selling the dream, turned into a nightmare.

Norm de Plume
30-09-2012, 11:17
Timeshare for the most part is dead. You can't even give it away. Look at eBay!

tonypub
30-09-2012, 11:52
do you like coke ,kirky?

Angusjim
30-09-2012, 12:06
do you like coke ,kirsty?

Is that the sniffing or drinking type:eek::crazy:

Vortex Wake
30-09-2012, 12:11
do you like coke ,kirsty?

Fail !

Who is Kirsty ? ;)

The op is a bloke .

woolli
30-09-2012, 12:45
i thought timeshare selling in tenerife was dead??? it's a bit like going to the klondike to find a gold strike??? for the last 3 years at least i have seen the numbers dwindle to about 6-8 people standing on corners trying to con you into going to a presentation, i realise that you are probably further up the tree than these street hawkers but surely it's been done to death?, i heard that they have now moved on to thailand and cyprus, i personally will not give them the time of day but my wife is not so tolerant:laugh:, i wish you well in finding employment because you have a young family to feed. but not in a profession that's morally wrong:(
OPCs have dwindled, timeshare as not! In fact, there are not enough reps - or should I say good reps, to service the islands timeshare clients. The big companies are always looking for reps, so if the OP is as good as he says he his, he will not have a problem earning over here.
Streets hawkers, as you call them, are only a minor player in recruiting timeshare clients. Having said that, while there are still greedy Brits winning the " star prize", timeshare will always be alive!

golf birdie
30-09-2012, 13:03
one of the great Tenerife mysteries I find is how all timeshare sellers tell me they make fortunes yet everyone I've met does not have a pot to pee in:confused:

Kirky2k4
30-09-2012, 13:04
In uk most the reps / closers I work with spend 100s to 1000s per week on coke , I know most reps get in the life style of earning good money and putting it up their nose , I work with a lot of people like this but I have a family with 3 kids and prefer to spend my cash on my family ,

Main reason for moving from home improvements to time shares is to give my family a better life style , I understand in Spain education is better (in Spain it's cool to be brainy where as in the uk it's cool to be a thug )

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

one of the great Tenerife mysteries I find is how all timeshare sellers tell me they make fortunes yet everyone I've met does not have a pot to pee in:confused:

Not being in time shares before but from working in sales it's usualy down to drug abuse or gambling

Muppet
30-09-2012, 15:41
In uk most the reps / closers I work with spend 100s to 1000s per week on coke , I know most reps get in the life style of earning good money and putting it up their nose , I work with a lot of people like this but I have a family with 3 kids and prefer to spend my cash on my family ,

Main reason for moving from home improvements to time shares is to give my family a better life style , I understand in Spain education is better (in Spain it's cool to be brainy where as in the uk it's cool to be a thug )
- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Not being in time shares before but from working in sales it's usualy down to drug abuse or gambling

I think you really, really, really need to do your homework. Spain has 25%+ unemployment, the Canaries 33% - education standards vary dramatically from island to island (and area to area), and in any event, your children would have no future in life (other than perhaps continuing in your current trade) - private education in British schools and the other necessities will soon make a huge dent in your (probably unattainable) income projections..........

You may have a few good years flogging your wares, but I wouldn't like to be in the position of being a member of your family, especially if/when things go horribly wrong.

Over 1,000 teachers lost thier jobs at the end of the last school year .........

woolli
30-09-2012, 22:04

Its not just timeshare sellers, its called Tenerife disease! " Ive been here x amount of years, blah blah blah!. Sorry, not interested.

theslaters
30-09-2012, 22:23
Are Pepsi and Shirley not still working along the front at L.c doing scratch can't believe it your a winner cards,been there years...maybe they have made there millions or got a guilt trip...

Kirky2k4
01-10-2012, 20:45
Sounds like i need look at all aspects before making a desision , thinking looking at 6-12 month lease on some where see what happens all else fail use as a holiday home threwout the lease , can get flights for pence these days , cheers again all

primrose
01-10-2012, 21:01
Sounds like i need look at all aspects before making a desision , thinking looking at 6-12 month lease on some where see what happens all else fail use as a holiday home threwout the lease , can get flights for pence these days , cheers again all

When you find these flights for pence to Tenerife can you let everybody on the Forum know first, when they are and who they are with.:confused:

slodgedad
01-10-2012, 21:04

When you find these flights for pence to Tenerife can you let everybody on the Forum know first, when they are and who they are with.:confused:

Just practising TS salestalk methinks.

kiwiphil
01-10-2012, 22:11

Ditto. I'm flying every few weeks and it averages at around 180 euros return to LGW on a mix of Easyjet and Monarch. I would like a few for some pence :)

Kirky2k4
02-10-2012, 06:38
Flew out in january for £79 return so their are cheep flights out ,,,, what I was saying is it cheep enough to do

Mawkin
02-10-2012, 13:17
Just like a salesman quote in pence and suddenly change into pounds should do well in timeshare.

Medanoman
14-10-2012, 00:42
Club La costa are recruiting , just go to the Tenerife oasis fm jobs page to see that. 1000 euro basic, with commission per sale of 1000 pounds. ( 500 quid a sale while training) 4 pitches a week min. You have to go self employed paying a stamp of 270 euros a month.

But to be fair they are always recruiting, As with any sales position, get too comfortable and you will be out the door. The interview told me that he had a lot of sales personnel who were happy on just 2500 euros that he wanted to replace...sales talk or just blunt?..I suspect the later. That made me think instantly of the poor sod i would be replacing and I wondered , how long before this top salesman doing the recruiting is interviewing another to get rid of me? lol

I did Double glazing in the uk , which is easy in comparison. People have grown accustomed to having windows in the uk , and they did look nice.

Lissalyon
08-11-2012, 23:25
Really where? I just paid £250 for ours - flights