PDA

View Full Version : Vets Why do we pet lovers and owners do it to ourselves

timmylish
30-09-2012, 02:07
time after time after time. The source of the latest angst is our maginficent Balinese tom cat who, at ten year old and having had him since he was three months old having taken him over from an English family unable to meet his vetinary fees. When Timmy was 5 years old we had to take him to an emergency vet on a Saturday afternoon because the poor thing could not pee. Well suffice to say that this particular vet botched up a straighforward operation and ended up ripping the wall of Timmy,s urinary tract wide open. In a last gasp attempt to save him we went the fantastic Vet hospital in Taco, SC who kept him for 5 days, operating on him twice and relieving us of over 2k euro in the process!

After that he has enjoyed a happy and contented existence in our family even allowing for an incursion by one Yorkie just over 3 years ago and our latest wee Yorkie girl in January. Thru' that time he coped well for a rather bad tempered tom, that was until the last week or so when we became concerned with his toilet habits or rather the contents thereof! Taking him yesterday to our Vet for what we expected to be a simple case of remedying a dodgy tummy he rapidly has gone from a liver infection (being treated) to heart and lung complications the outcome of which only time will tell, probably the next 48 hours.

Although we naturally seek no sympathy again we have started to ask the question raised in the heading of this thread, the heartbreak and utter sadness for our imminent loss. Does anyone have a simple answer because I,d love to know the answer not just for me but to help poor Mrs. T. ? Why oh why do we go back to the same watering hole time and again. As for Timmy himself we are assured that he is in no pain but we have to await the arrival of Monday (everything in the Vet world stops at 14.00 on a Saturday here as most will know), have further quick tests and for me to take the ultimate decision.

poker
30-09-2012, 03:28
Hope he recovers . . . .

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Harmonicaman
30-09-2012, 09:16
When I had to get my cat put down when I was 25, (I'd had it since I was 12), I was a wreck. I vowed I'd never put myself through that again and I haven't had another pet since. My children have had hamsters when they were little but not quite the same thing. Too much grief for me.

tracy hampshire
30-09-2012, 10:44
ive had dogs since i was a child, & over the years have loved & lost quite a few, heartbreaking yes, but the answer for me is simple the world is a much better place with my dog, my best friend, sat at my side, donīt honestly think i could be without one.

cainaries
30-09-2012, 11:50
Heartfelt sympathies, timmylish. Hugs all round is all I can suggest. We have been through this utterly miserable experience a few times. It certainly helps if you have 100% confidence in your vet. I sometimes wonder if those of us who are utterly devoted to our pets don't worry a bit but the rest of the world thinks we're a bit obsessed so I am always relieved to discover that plenty of people love their pets as much as we do in this house. Hope it all goes well at the vet's.

Suej
30-09-2012, 12:52
ive had dogs since i was a child, & over the years have loved & lost quite a few, heartbreaking yes, but the answer for me is simple the world is a much better place with my dog, my best friend, sat at my side, donīt honestly think i could be without one.

You hit the nail on the head! as much as we grieve about a lost pet and swear we won't have another one! famous last words!!! it is exactly as you say tracy we just can't seem to live without them no matter how much heartache they cause us! In the past I have actually driven to the Vets in my pyjamas when my sister's cat got run over!
timmylish I am thinking of you and hope your lovely cat will recover!

Megaloo
30-09-2012, 14:18
Thinking of you Timmylsh it certainly does not get any easier however many pets we have had, but they are always faithful, and it is so hard to make that final decision when it comes.

timmylish
30-09-2012, 15:27
Thanks to all for comments and wishes. based on this morning,s assessment at our vets and also taking further tests and x-rays etc we have given Timmy a another 24 hours, having further treatment, to tell us that he would make sufficient recovery for him to have a period of quality of life, for that,s all that is important at this stage. That and nothing else.

blondie
30-09-2012, 21:25
Thanks to all for comments and wishes. based on this morning,s assessment at our vets and also taking further tests and x-rays etc we have given Timmy a another 24 hours, having further treatment, to tell us that he would make sufficient recovery for him to have a period of quality of life, for that,s all that is important at this stage. That and nothing else.

My thoughts are with you at this time. Why do we do it? How many people have said never again and then leave ourselves wide open for more heartache. The loyalty and unconditional love shown to us by them does it every time.It is so difficult at a time like this but just as bad trying to live without them.We also had a decision to make regarding our 16 year old chihuahua, hardest one I ever had to make but its their quality of life which helps you to decide whats best in the long run. Our best wishes to you .

Sal
30-09-2012, 21:32
Pets are really family members - we love and care for them as we would any human relative. Unfortunately they don't have the same life expectancy as humans and we are always devastated when we lose them. The reward is the unconditional love and companionship they give to us and we in return give them the happiest life and health-care we possibly can.
Thinking of you timmylish!

cressrt
01-10-2012, 21:50
We have 3 dogs, 7 cats and we also foster pups and dogs for a refuge. We have had other cats which are no longer with us but have had a good if short time with us rather than die in a refuge or the street. We have 2 cats with Lukiemia, one has one eye, both need constant medication, one blind but very healthy cat, one cat with one ear, one 10 year old whose owner died that we took when no-one else would and a couple of normal cats as well!
We have fostered over 150 pups and dogs in the last 18 months and mostly had few problems, the main exeception being a litter of 7 pups that all died of Pavo virus, that was very hard but did not stop us. It is horrible at times but we keep going.

Suej
02-10-2012, 11:38

Any news about your lovely cat timmy! X

timmylish
03-10-2012, 00:32
First of all. Sincere thanks to all of you for kind words and thoughts. We went as far as I felt was feasible. We did a biopsy which again did not really give us a definitive answer. Last night he looked and acted better than he has done for a week but I detected small amounts of blood in mucus. I told Mrs. T. why I was taking the final step which I did Tuesday afternoon.
Great memories of a most unusual and beautiful cat. Unless others wish to comment I think that this thread could be closed. Again, many thanks.

Susief
03-10-2012, 08:21
Oh Timmy I am so sorry. I personally think you have done the best for him. He is at peace now. When they go they leave such big holes.
All my love to you and Mrs T xx

karinagal
03-10-2012, 10:40
That was an extremely tough decision you had to take but you did what is best for your pet. As much as we love our pets, as owners we have to decide when to let go. Making this decision - as hard as it is to do - can be a selfless act as you're doing what's best for your pet regardless of the pain and suffering that act will cause you.

I dread when the time will come for our dog. She's 9 now and has had some issues recently, so I'm aware that this time could come sooner rather than later. I hope I have your strength and courage.. I'm so sorry for your loss..

Karina

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Suej
03-10-2012, 10:45
First of all. Sincere thanks to all of you for kind words and thoughts. We went as far as I felt was feasible. We did a biopsy which again did not really give us a definitive answer. Last night he looked and acted better than he has done for a week but I detected small amounts of blood in mucus. I told Mrs. T. why I was taking the final step which I did Tuesday afternoon.
Great memories of a most unusual and beautiful cat. Unless others wish to comment I think that this thread could be closed. Again, many thanks.

Very sad news! so so sorry Timmylish!:(

Cat Woman
27-10-2012, 12:55
So sorry to hear about your cat, its always very hard when we lose our dear pets that are part of our family life.
The best vets on the Island, in my opinion, are Suarez Martin in Las Americas. 922 794 350. Open Monday to Saturday 9am to 8pm and 9am until 2pm on Sunday. Turn right after the BP garage, at the end of that road is a small round a bout, the vets is at the other side of the Round a bout, you will see a big sign. Park and walk up the path to the right and they are a few yards on the left. They are absolutely brilliant vets, I use them with my charity www.cats-welfare-tenerife.com They neuter and spay over 12 cats a week for me, plus a few dogs and help me with many sick and injured animals. They are very reasonably priced and nothing is too much trouible for them, they genuinly love all the animals. They are from Cuba, they trained in Cuba and America and there is nothing they dont know about animals, from Mice to Cows! Quite a few vets send the more complicated operations to them as they have the experience and top of the range equipment.

cheery
13-11-2012, 14:37
Other people who have never lost pets can't comprehend how we feel. Last week my pet cockatiel, Beauty, died after being with me for 23 years. He had been showing signs of his age for a while, unable to get in his cage by climbing (he couldn't fly due to a cat attack when he was a chick) so I devised a series of ladders for him to walk up and then manouvre around to his gate and another ladder to climb to the bottom of his cage.

He had started to stay in his cage more and more and only came out when I lifted him out. Then last week I decided that I would move him into the lounge during the day where it was warmer instead of the kitchen. On Thursday morning I noticed he was still stood in the same spot after moving him 1/2 an hour earlier. I picked him up and it was immediately obvious that he didn't have long left. I stroked and kissed him and told him I loved him whilst crying my eyes out. I put him back in the cage and went to the toilet. I came back in the lounge and picked him up again and gave him another kiss. I left for work trying to deny the inevitable.

I texted my OH when I got to the shop, I couldn't speak and texting was fairly difficult through the tears. She immediately called me and I burst into tears again and explained the situation. She said she would speak to my Mum to collect him and take him to her house. Sarah would then collect him after work and we would look at him that night.

Alas, he was dead when my Mum got there and she rang my OH to tell her. When I got home that night we were both hysterical as we buried him. I like to think that he stayed alive the night before just so I could say goodbye.

Sarah asked if I wanted another bird and I said no, I am not going through this again. However, 5 days later I am starting to pine for a little feathered friend to sit on my shoulder pinching my food.

Do I sound as though I am losing the plot? It certainly feels like it as I have not stopped crying.