PDA

View Full Version : Where can I hire a car for a 22 year old in Tenerife?

jack oakley
01-10-2012, 16:42
Hi Guys, my nephew is coming to Tenerife in November for eight days, does anyone know of a car rental company who will allow a twenty two year old with a clean U.K. licence to drive.

Dan747
01-10-2012, 19:26
Quite a few will allow 22 year olds to drive, it's only under 21 you generally struggle.

If you have a look on holidayautos and do a search for the dates you want, clicking on more information on each car offer listed will give the minimum driver age and any restrictions in place.

When I was under 25 and couldn't use Autoreisen, I used CICAR mainly, plus Record before they disappeared from the Island.

jack oakley
01-10-2012, 20:25
Thank you for that Dan, the problem is every company he has tried advertise on their websites that they allow 22 year olds to drive including Holiday Autos but they all have sneaky hidden charges. We have tried the usual 'google search' and CarHire3000 state clearly they accept 22 year old drivers until you try to book, the on-line leaves too many unanswered questions so both i and his father rang their telephone booking office, I was quoted £76-55 for a ford ka or similar for 8days, the representitive insisted there were no extra charges but they do charge 90euros for a tank of petrol (bring it back empty) then just before booking stated there would be a 175euro depost to cover the exess on the the insurance waiver. They then offered a Hertz car for £114-00 with no extra charges and the tank is full and should be full on return i asked three times if there would be any extra charges and the rep said absolutely not. My brother then rang to book it (the same telephone number) and he was told that the ford Ka would be subject to 6euros per day insurance levy for the age plus a 14euro insurance waiver exess plus 90euros for a tank of petrol. He asked about the Hertz car that i had been quoted £144-00 for(which is advertised on the carhire3000site) and he was told the cheapest Hertz car was £168-00 plus an insurance levy PLUS 750 Euros deposit. We have both been told totaly conflicting stories by the same rep. We have had the same runaround now from several different companies. I have always used Autoriesen and found them to be honest and reasonable but they won't rent to a 22 year old. Hence my question to you guy's to try and get a straight answer.

Dan747
02-10-2012, 01:42
CICAR definitely let over 21's drive without additional charges, although they are not the cheapest. Orlando also let over 21's drive the smaller vehicles with no additional charges.

I've just done a quick search on holidayautos for a week in November for a 22 year old, first car it listed was a Vauxhall Corsa for £68, it says on driver conditions that they must be 21+, fuel policy is 1/4 full and return the same, no extra charges for a young driver are listed.

Holidayautos is basically an agent, they use multiple car hire providers, all with different conditions, if you check each car listed under "Age restrictions and licence requirements" in the further information part, it will list the minimum age and if any young driver charges apply with that provider.

jack oakley
02-10-2012, 13:24
CICAR definitely let over 21's drive without additional charges, although they are not the cheapest. Orlando also let over 21's drive the smaller vehicles with no additional charges.

I've just done a quick search on holidayautos for a week in November for a 22 year old, first car it listed was a Vauxhall Corsa for £68, it says on driver conditions that they must be 21+, fuel policy is 1/4 full and return the same, no extra charges for a young driver are listed.

Holidayautos is basically an agent, they use multiple car hire providers, all with different conditions, if you check each car listed under "Age restrictions and licence requirements" in the further information part, it will list the minimum age and if any young driver charges apply with that provider.

Once again Dan Thanks for the info, we did not check Cicar as we believed they had closed their office at TFS, but we will check them. Regarding Holiday Auto's this is again a gang who 'speak with forked tongue'. My brother tried booking with them on the above deal you have listed, he went through the whole on-line booking system but upon payment they added on 18euros per day surcharge for age, then they wanted up-front deposits then insurance waiver charges, the whole escapade was a very unfunny joke. Most of the 'forked tongue brigade' do excactly the same, it looks good on the website until you actualy get to the payment stage, then you are 'hit' with a whole host of hidden charges that take you well above 200euros plus security deposits. Jack.O

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

CICAR definitely let over 21's drive without additional charges, although they are not the cheapest. Orlando also let over 21's drive the smaller vehicles with no additional charges..

Hiya Dan, Just received confirmation from Cicar and their minimum driver age is 23 with 2 years clean licence experience.

Dan747
02-10-2012, 20:08
Seems strange, I've just gone through the booking process online myself and it added on a "total damage excess waiver" of £33.25, but I just unticked this box and it went back to the original price, it didn't add any 'young driver' charge on though. Holidayautos you pay upfront and I've used them a few times before, couldn't fault the service as given I'd already paid I just literally had to sign a rental agreement at the airport and then was given the keys.

I couldn't find a minimum age on CICAR's website, I did use them after I was 23 though so that makes sense.

Can't believe how difficult it is these days to find a company to provide to under 23, I was renting them from when I was 18 without issues! There was one other company I used to use which I will try to find the details of for you.

--- Found them, www.teneriferentacar.com used these a few times too, although their website says it's 23+, they do accept under this so it maybe worth e-mailing them and asking for a quote.

Elena89
22-10-2018, 20:40
You can contact https://www.toyotarent.com/ They have an office in that location. They take major cards or Cash. It's important to know that you'll an CC for the security deposit.