PDA

View Full Version : Internet I need short term WiFi whilst in Tenerife

COLLINSDJ
01-10-2012, 21:23
In tenerife for 10 days and will need access from my phone to wifi all day - can i signup to some supplier for a short period , week / month or buy a prepay simm to stick into my phone again for week / month

Vortex Wake
01-10-2012, 21:28
Your UK cell phone supplier can offer internet abroad add-ons that can allow internet access at a reasonable cost for small usage without the fag of buying a new sim, or setting up issues.

kiwiphil
01-10-2012, 22:17
Lots of questions:

I take it you mean 3G mobile data rather than WiFi?
What network are you on in the UK? Some of the current travel options make data use in Europe not too bad, O2 in particular.
How much data will you need per day? If just email and no attachments then it won't actually be that much.
What device are you using - is it unlocked? You won't be able to swap to a Spanish SIM if its locked.

If you can provide some more info I can point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Phil

COLLINSDJ
01-10-2012, 22:29
Great stuff phil - not going till xmas but doing spadework now

i am in ireland - my company is emobile and they ooperate on 3g.

Galaxy mini is what i have , is unlocked .

Been told emobile can give me wifi in tenerife at 89cent a meg
i am now trying to calculate how many emails that would be ,
emails are all i would be accessing.

Dont devote all your time to this one , if you come up with a better plan let me know

Vortex Wake
01-10-2012, 22:33
3meg did me for email / Facebook / Tenerife Forum per day in Tenerife via T mobile UK @ around 1€ per 3meg

COLLINSDJ
01-10-2012, 22:35
Good stuff phil

many thanks

jim

kiwiphil
01-10-2012, 23:40
Hi,

I suggest giving emobile a quick call. They have international data bolt-ons though it probably depends what plan you are on as to which are available. There should be at least one that is applicable. Just check that its available for just a single month and you don't get stuck with it for the whole year.

http://www.emobile.ie/business/perks/

Then, whatever you do, you should install an APP to monitor your 3G usage. There are lots of free ones to choose from. You can probably find one that can give you an alarm when you get close to your limit. You can also use this before you come to get an idea of what you actually use. Plain emails are tiny. Web browsing really depends on the site. Sending photos can use alot too unless your phone formats them nice and small for you. And Google Maps eats up the MB as well.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/best-android-data-usage-apps-for-monitoring-3g2gwi-fi-usage/

And just to clarify the techy terms - you will be using 3G, also called mobile data. This is not WiFi. WiFi is what you get at home, in a hotel, or in a store etc. You might even have free WiFi where you are staying. There are also some free WiFi spots in Tenerife.

http://www.wifimundo.com/news/free-wifi-tenerife-map.html

I think that covers most of it :)

Cheers, Phil

Norm de Plume
02-10-2012, 11:27
Kindle 3G (UK bought) free for fairly limited internet use, but covers most emails.

COLLINSDJ
02-10-2012, 11:58
tks for that idea

regards

jim