PDA

View Full Version : I want to buy a new car in Tenerife and need some advice

lesbroz
02-10-2012, 10:43
I am wanting to buy a new car in Tenerife. I am after some advise, please. I have a rather old Renault Megane Cabriolet
Would it be prudent to offer it as part exchange on a new vehicle (especially if I go for another Renault,) or
should I try and sell the vehicle privately?:dontknow:

BoPeep
02-10-2012, 11:14
I dont know about part exchange in Tenerife but I wouldnt sell it privately unless you know the buyers very well!! If the paperwork isnt completed properly you could live to regret it!

Some of the car sales shops will buy your old car without you having to buy one of theirs and they are more trustworthy and tend not to disappear. I know Motorworld in Silencio and the car sales in Las Chafiras behind the auction house buy second hand cars.

casabonny
02-10-2012, 15:00
Motorworld will indeed buy cars even if not part exchanging or buying from them and they GUARANTEE to do the transfer out of your name , many people will be able to confirm this. Word of advice if buying a Renault from Renault in Guaza , they more often than not DO NOT have paperwork in order for cars they part exchange , we have had many cleints with cars and no paperwork even as long as 18months after purchase!

BoPeep
02-10-2012, 15:15
Motorworld rocks!

garlicbread
02-10-2012, 15:56
The transfer of ownership of a vehicle is not complicated in Tenerife and any "gestor" worth their salt will do it for a reasonable fee (€70 or less) thus negating the need for buyer and seller making a trip to Santa Cruz. There are also fees payable to Trafico (about €50) plus to the Hacienda (4% of the fiscal value of the car). This simply cuts out the middle man who , after all, is there to make a profit from buying/selling cars, and there's nothing wrong with that. You may get a better deal by offering it to a dealer in part exchange for a new or used vehicle but you are more likely to get a better price if you sell it privately and then negotiate a deal with any dealer for anew or used car. Just my two pennuth.

LUCKY
02-10-2012, 17:11
I might as well throw my penneth in , why not see what the new car dealer offers you against a new or newer car, then go away and see what another dealer offers just to buy the car off you, This is good advice from someone (me) thats never dealt with a main dealer, but i do wish you well in your'e quest, :flatcap::flatcap::feret::feret:

lesbroz
02-10-2012, 19:00
I might as well throw my penneth in , why not see what the new car dealer offers you against a new or newer car, then go away and see what another dealer offers just to buy the car off you, This is good advice from someone (me) thats never dealt with a main dealer, but i do wish you well in your'e quest, :flatcap::flatcap::feret::feret:

Thanks Lucky. The flat cap is packed and ready for its journey to Callao Salvaje all ready for your visit in November!!

Sunterra
02-10-2012, 19:59
I am wanting to buy a new car in Tenerife. I am after some advise, please. I have a rather old Renault Megane Cabriolet
Would it be prudent to offer it as part exchange on a new vehicle (especially if I go for another Renault,) or
should I try and sell the vehicle privately?:dontknow:

If your car is really old and needs repairs, I would advise you to check out what the car dealers will give you for it part exchange and also what other offers you can get privately. Basically no-one is interested in old second hand cars due to up keep and running costs. They take care of the paperwork as well, taking that headache away and visits to Trafico in S/cruz. Also ask the car dealers about their demo/ocassioanl cars which have low mileage, but a good price and normally come fully equipped as well, so no extras to add on. We bought a Seat Ibiza from 7islas motors they have a show room near to Buzanada, but most brands of cars/dealers will also have these type of cars on offer. Saves you losing the depreciation when you drive off the forecourt.

lesbroz
02-10-2012, 21:09
There is actually nothing wrong with the car, its just that I have got to an age where I prefer air con rather than the top down. It plays havoc with the old hair do!:spin:

timmylish
03-10-2012, 00:56
First things first. Stay away from Renault if for no other reason than dealing with Renault at Guaza! Also Renault have nowt in their current range which excites but it depends on what size of car etc etc you want. In the purchase of the last two cars over 20 months we elected to trade in primarily because the first one we got the Govt. backed scheme for ancient cars which was on the go at the time (I had picked up the banger for 500 euros 9 months prior knowing we were likely to be buying a new car using this scheme and we got 2k for the banger!) and the sale of new cars is so depressed they will give you a crazy amount trading in. Another Forum member and ourselves bought a new car from the same dealership earlier this year and we got daft money. I know people will say they bloated the figures on the paperwork. Well after 7 months how is the car we traded still sitting at the dealers unsold? We got a great deal, end off!

KirstyJay
03-10-2012, 01:06
Three words - Skoda San Isidro. 'Nuff said. I've never looked back. Best purchase I've ever made.

LUCKY
03-10-2012, 11:31
There is actually nothing wrong with the car, its just that I have got to an age where I prefer air con rather than the top down. It plays havoc with the old hair do!:spin: Would you like me to bring you a ladies style flat cap .So as to preserve your'e coiffure.:flatcap::flatcap:

lesbroz
03-10-2012, 14:52
Would you like me to bring you a ladies style flat cap .So as to preserve your'e coiffure.:flatcap::flatcap:

Thank you Lucky that is a kind gesture. Maybe we could have a handover of flat caps ceremony. You name the venue!!!

LUCKY
04-10-2012, 11:27
Thank you Lucky that is a kind gesture. Maybe we could have a handover of flat caps ceremony. You name the venue!!! Now sorted out my list for packing. One ladies flat cap
One pair of Speedos for self

:flatcap:
:feret:

ps any news about new vehicle

Ricman
04-10-2012, 14:17
It might be smart to hold on for a while as the Government are to bring back the scrappage scheme here again shortly in a bid to excite the new car sales market.

If it is as before then I believe you will get 2000 euros for any old car.

lesbroz
04-10-2012, 16:02
It might be smart to hold on for a while as the Government are to bring back the scrappage scheme here again shortly in a bid to excite the new car sales market.

If it is as before then I believe you will get 2000 euros for any old car.

Sounds good. I might test the water and see how much they will give me now and if less than 2,000 - hang on a while.

LUCKY
04-10-2012, 17:00
:flatcap:
Sounds good. I might test the water and see how much they will give me now and if less than 2,000 - hang on a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19733995

http://www.publicserviceeurope.com/article/2514/spain-goes-for-more-austerity-amid-turmoil
Just a little reading matter on the subject.:flatcap:

samnickgodber
04-10-2012, 18:16
Agree with Timmylish, i traded in my Citreon C2 VTR which was 6yrs old with Nissan against a new car from them and they gave me 6 grand for it, obviously i was spending alot of money with them x

LUCKY
05-10-2012, 18:40
Sounds good. I might test the water and see how much they will give me now and if less than 2,000 - hang on a while. A QUOTE FROM THE CANARIAN WEEKLY :flatcap::feret:

Car owners of vehicles which are twelve years old can get a 2,000 euro grant for the purchase of another vehicle. In the case of commercial vehicles any over 10 years old will be accepted.

The plan started on October 1st and will continue toMarch 31st, 2013. The new car cannot cost more than 25,000 euros before IVA/VAT.

timmylish
06-10-2012, 03:14
A QUOTE FROM THE CANARIAN WEEKLY :flatcap::feret:

Car owners of vehicles which are twelve years old can get a 2,000 euro grant for the purchase of another vehicle. In the case of commercial vehicles any over 10 years old will be accepted.

The plan started on October 1st and will continue toMarch 31st, 2013. The new car cannot cost more than 25,000 euros before IVA/VAT.

Not to be perdantic but that information may be incorrect since, normally, you must have owned the banger in question for a minimum of 12 months so be careful and not just go and spend 500 euros. Oh and it normally has to be legal in respect of current ITV up to date, tax paid to date and finally and probably most importantly, running!