PDA

View Full Version : What is the cost of driving a car from UK to Tenerife?

rjb100
02-10-2012, 12:07
Hi all,
Has anyone driven to Tenerife from uk by car.?
If so what are the approxiamate costs involved[overnight hotels--ferries -- petrol ].
Single trip only....2 adults.
Thanks
rj

Medanoman
02-10-2012, 13:15
I did that 12 years ago when i moved out here. The main reason was I thought I had loads of stuff I wanted to take with me. In hindsight, I did not need to bring all that crap over in the back of a box trailer but I did LOL.

There is nothing there in the UK that you cannot reasonably expected to buy here. Getting a UK car re registered here can be a pain too. Second hand cars here are very expensive compared to the uk , so that maybe your reason for bringing a uk banger out here. The Spanish at one point tried to refuse the re registration of RHD cars until europe stepped in but thats another story.

Anyway back to your question. There are lots of pros and conns in the driving options that all affect the final cost of the operation. Are you going to cross the channel and drive down from Northern France ( Allow whole day to cross France) or Get the ferry Portsmouth Bilbao or Plymouth Santander?

Arriving in Northern Spain totally refreshed from a good nights sleep on the ferry is very valuable. I didnīt, I drove the whole way but i was younger and more reckless then.

here are the distances

The driving distance from Calais, France to Cadiz, Spain is:
1,330 miles / 2 140 km

or

The driving distance from Santander, Spain to Cadiz, Spain is:
591 miles / 951 km

from http://www.travelmath.com/drive-distance/from/Santander,+Spain/to/Cadiz,+Spain

Then you have to choose your sailing. Transmediteranea is the Shipping line from Cadiz to Here http://www.trasmediterranea.es/Step1/?lang=UK

Spain can be crossed in a long day of driving , although i would recommend you take a few days to cross. Chances are the ferries will not match up and a day or so will be spent waiting for the next one

Just looked and a car with 2 pax outward looks like 300 euros, but all depends on your dates.

cheers!

cheers

TF1
02-10-2012, 15:02
Hi, about 1,500€ in total. (Ferry from Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander, about 1000km, and 2nd ferry from Huelva - TF which leaves Saturday midday). Ferry costs will increase if you have a roof box or trailer.

rjb100
03-10-2012, 08:21
I did that 12 years ago when i moved out here. The main reason was I thought I had loads of stuff I wanted to take with me. In hindsight, I did not need to bring all that crap over in the back of a box trailer but I did LOL.

There is nothing there in the UK that you cannot reasonably expected to buy here. Getting a UK car re registered here can be a pain too. Second hand cars here are very expensive compared to the uk , so that maybe your reason for bringing a uk banger out here. The Spanish at one point tried to refuse the re registration of RHD cars until europe stepped in but thats another story.

Anyway back to your question. There are lots of pros and conns in the driving options that all affect the final cost of the operation. Are you going to cross the channel and drive down from Northern France ( Allow whole day to cross France) or Get the ferry Portsmouth Bilbao or Plymouth Santander?

Arriving in Northern Spain totally refreshed from a good nights sleep on the ferry is very valuable. I didnīt, I drove the whole way but i was younger and more reckless then.

here are the distances

The driving distance from Calais, France to Cadiz, Spain is:
1,330 miles / 2 140 km

or

The driving distance from Santander, Spain to Cadiz, Spain is:
591 miles / 951 km

from http://www.travelmath.com/drive-distance/from/Santander,+Spain/to/Cadiz,+Spain

Then you have to choose your sailing. Transmediteranea is the Shipping line from Cadiz to Here http://www.trasmediterranea.es/Step1/?lang=UK

Spain can be crossed in a long day of driving , although i would recommend you take a few days to cross. Chances are the ferries will not match up and a day or so will be spent waiting for the next one

Just looked and a car with 2 pax outward looks like 300 euros, but all depends on your dates.

cheers!

cheers
Med
Thanks for your informative reply to my post..

Thinking of Portsmouth--Bilbao ferry with overnight stop between Bilbao and Cadiz.
I intend driving my Vaux. Astra as it is in vg condition with v low mileage.

Could you please outline again the problems I will encounter with regards running the car after settling in.
i.e Registration--Tax--Mot.

Appreciated.
rj

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hi, about 1,500€ in total. (Ferry from Plymouth or Portsmouth to Santander, about 1000km, and 2nd ferry from Huelva - TF which leaves Saturday midday). Ferry costs will increase if you have a roof box or trailer.
TFI
Can I assume that Huelva is the ferryport in Cadiz.
rj