PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Some questions about moving to Tenerife

AshleyCraig
02-10-2012, 12:46
Was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction, myself, fiancée and children are wanting to move to Tenerife we jus came back from our holiday there where Iv been going all my life and now want to get up and go and start a new life, I have a couple of questions that need answering such as,
When applying for residency do we need to have a minimum amount of money in our account to show the authorities?
How do I go about getting my children into school?
And what type of work could I get out there apart from bar and restraunent work?
And how do I go about all of the above?

Please let me know ASAP thank you.

Medanoman
02-10-2012, 13:20
Hi Ashley, If you don´t speak Spanish your chances of getting Work are very slim. If you are good at sales then perhaps you might stand a chance in the timeshare game, otherwise things are really bad here work wise. Current unemployment is over 33% in Tenerife. You really do not want to come here on a whim.

As for the residency paperwork thats easy , as a European you can live anywhere you please. Once the whole family is registered you can then look at schools etc

AshleyCraig
02-10-2012, 13:32
We understand that it's going to be no walk in the park but anything is better than england, because I can't speak Spanish at the min could I not get bar or restraunent work either? Just till I learn the language and get on my feet out there. How do I apply for residency?

Ed3229
02-10-2012, 14:44
"I hear what you're saying, but I'll ignore it" springs to mind. Just like so many other threads about moving to Tenerife.....

casabonny
02-10-2012, 14:56
We understand that it's going to be no walk in the park but anything is better than england, because I can't speak Spanish at the min could I not get bar or restraunent work either? Just till I learn the language and get on my feet out there. How do I apply for residency?
Hi, to apply for residencia as a couple you have to have at least 8000 euros in a Spanish bank acount and have to either have private Medical cover or be able to prove that you have cover( other than emergency ie e111) from you country of origin which will cove r here .If you are not married then its 5000 euros each unless and until you can prove that you are a couple here.

AshleyCraig
02-10-2012, 18:55
Good job I didn't ask you directly then isn't it!!!!

Medanoman
02-10-2012, 19:59
my personal opinion is that to leave the uk to be struggling in a foreign land with a family in tow as well is asking for trouble. Tenerife has the Second highest unemployment rate of the whole of the European community. Officially its 33% in Tenerife and over 40% in the South of the island according to the local Tenerife Newspaper diario De Avisos. The worst unemployment rates go to French Guiana which isn´t even in Europe but is a French Caribbean territory.

By all means come here if you want. But it really isn´t greener on the other side, Old Problems will be replaced with others mark my words.

Yes, you could get jobs in bars and restaurants perhaps without having any Spanish language skills. But you will probably find you are better off doing the same in the uk where at least you won´t have to buy school books, you will get a small but reassuring child benefit payment each month in the UK. The kids dental care will be free too. Dunno if they still do free school meals in the uk still but Here you will get bugger all. You will have increased childcare costs since the schools finish at 1.30, Have to fork out 400 euros each year for materiel's and books and that's in a state school. You will be earning around a thousand euros if you are lucky , out of that 500 a month Rent and bills , 800 euros for your kids books each year plus the child care involved of picking the kids up after school say 1.30 instead of 4.30. The 12 week summer holidays where you have to find someone to look after the kids yet more money . Sounds like you will have a cracking time.

If you could perhaps work for a UK employer via the internet, doing web page design or similar where it does not matter where you are then great do it. But to struggle here is 10 x times the struggle you are currently going through in the uk.

And last but not least , if Spain ever does ditch the euro, Or be kicked out, that 1000 euros a month or equivalent in pesetas will devalue to half over night. Thats the reason why Europe is in this mess. Sovereign countries are unable to devalue their own currencies to reduce their debt and increase exports or in Spain´s case keep everything cheap for the tourist. That also means that although property is a give away, it could still bomb even more if Spain went back to pesetas.

We are not trying to put you off. Just save you from our current pain. good luck

KirstyJay
02-10-2012, 22:13
When applying for residency do we need to have a minimum amount of money in our account to show the authorities?
How do I go about getting my children into school?
And what type of work could I get out there apart from bar and restraunent work?
And how do I go about all of the above?There are existing thread addressing all these topics extensively. Have a look through the sticky threads at the top of this section and try out our search facility :)