PDA

View Full Version : Who eats in the garages or service stations in Tenerife?

sunspot
17-06-2011, 21:48
Had some great lunchtime tapas in the garages,Carni con Papas........love it
These places do some good tapas, great coffee and realistic prices........worth going in to have a go

CaribeCelt
17-06-2011, 22:10
Where is Garages?
Will give it a try when im over.
Any other recommendations for good tapas bar?

DaveRF
17-06-2011, 22:15
Where is Garages?

I think Sunspot mean garages in general (petrol stations) rather than a specific place called garages ;). Lots of them have cafe bars attached that serve decent but cheap food.

sunspot
17-06-2011, 22:17
Oh dear, i meant petrol garages, just call in the majority sell really good Tapas

tracey
17-06-2011, 22:17
Cafe Tini and Pata Negra in Cristianos are great. Ox tail, pigs cheeks etc

CaribeCelt
17-06-2011, 22:27
I think Sunspot mean garages in general (petrol stations) rather than a specific place called garages ;). Lots of them have cafe bars attached that serve decent but cheap food.

:stupid::ashamed:

Susief
17-06-2011, 22:45
Where is Garages?

Get your coat!

DaveRF
17-06-2011, 22:46
Get your coat!

Why? Has he pulled?

Susief
17-06-2011, 22:48
Why? Has he pulled?

Pulled what! Lol!

Andy0210
17-06-2011, 23:25
The BP stations at Las Americas, Guaza and Cabo Blanco make the best Carne con Papas in the world, the rest of the Tapas is also to die for.
The Shell station by Los Cris on the motorway is amazing, they are by far the best value with the best food. Shame so few Brits try them out but on the other hands it makes the service so much better for the rest of us who venture away from P D L A and Los Cris. ;)

sunspot
17-06-2011, 23:28
The BP stations at Las Americas, Guaza and Cabo Blanco make the best Carne con Papas in the world, the rest of the Tapas is also to die for.
The Shell station by Los Cris on the motorway is amazing, they are by far the best value with the best food. Shame so few Brits try them out but on the other hands it makes the service so much better for the rest of us who venture away from P D L A and Los Cris. ;)

I have to agree Andy,i have not been dissapointed with any of it,great food

MaxineC
17-06-2011, 23:32
Sh$t, I need to go to specsavers. I read the title as 'Who eats in the Ganges!! (insert Blind smiley here >>)

I concur with my son, Andy0210, the BP garage in Las Americas is fab. Alas, I cannot comment on the what is on offer in the Ganges.... :D

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 00:24
I, and all family members who visit, are still gobsmacked after all this time at the quality and prices in the 'service stations' in Tenerife.

I think everyone has their 'Brit' head on and imagine crappy overpriced gukk you get in the UK on the motorway.

Totally the reverse here. Decent food, good service and most importantly. great value for money.

imablue
18-06-2011, 09:58
Esta Sur the petrol station in las americas opposite the police staion is excellent value ...

sunspot
20-09-2011, 00:13
Went to the Armenimi Garage the other day for a quick bite to eat,2 Fanta lemon,2 bottles of Dorada, a large water, 2 plates of beef stew with green Beans followed by a Barachito and an expresso, great food and all this for 17.50.........great value, i say

Andy0210
20-09-2011, 00:18
Went to the Armenimi Garage the other day for a quick bite to eat,2 Fanta lemon,2 bottles of Dorada, a large water, 2 plates of beef stew with green Beans followed by a Barachito and an expresso, great food and all this for 17.50.........great value, i say

Greedy bugger i say, canīt believe you ate all that! rolleyes2:

I hope you didnīt have a pudding as well! :nono:

sunspot
20-09-2011, 00:24
Greedy bugger i say, canīt believe you ate all that! rolleyes2:

I hope you didnīt have a pudding as well! :nono:

That was for starters Andy,then on to the patisserie for deserts................and im still only 36-24-36....:whistle:

Andy0210
20-09-2011, 00:34
That was for starters Andy,then on to the patisserie for deserts................and im still only 36-24-36....:whistle:

Whats that then? Seconds to walk round you, stones and years from a 100? :crylaughing:

Only kiddin you know i love you! :wink2:

sunspot
20-09-2011, 00:35
Whats that then? Seconds to walk round you, stones and years from a 100? :crylaughing:

Only kiddin you know i love you! :wink2:

Cheeky Boy..............love you too

Chicharrera
20-09-2011, 00:37
If in the north the best by far is the Bohio, direccion S/C just after La Victoria exit,absoloutely fab an 24 hr service!!!!!

cressrt
20-09-2011, 08:05
We have stopped in a number of them around the island and have always had good food and vaiue for money.

Ecky Thump
20-09-2011, 08:12
We have stopped in a number of them around the island and have always had good food and vaiue for money.

I wish we could say the same about the Services in the UK...Robbers!

stevem
20-09-2011, 08:51
Esta Sur the petrol station in las americas opposite the police staion is excellent value ...

Hell yeah! Came out of O'Reillys at 4am one morning and sat at Esta Sur watching the sun come up with a beer and several plates of tapas. One of the best nights out I've had in Tenerife. They do a sublime chicken dish there too! Love the place!

kingbaker
20-09-2011, 09:00
Hi guys the petrol staion at the roundabout coming into Las Galletas from El Frail...........carne con papas with bread roll and coffee and cake------less than €5
prob not get a starter in Dublin for that ---------- and fab quality as well.

Petrol station on left on the way out of Playa San Juan towards Los Gigantes---fab food and similiar prices also fab vintage cars on display
Similar quality of food in most petrol station cafeterias

I've been eating in them for years long may they continue to give the best value on the Island. :wave: :wave: :wave:

bonitatime
20-09-2011, 10:07
We used to eat a lot in the petrol station in Armeņime but don't go that way so much anymore.
On the way to Santa Cruz we stop at the one past Abades on the way up and the PCAN on the way down, not usually both on the same trip but always one or the other. The one on the way up does great crusty rolls and the PCAN does great rolls and tapas
Sunday we had 2 plain omlette rolls 1 bacon, pork cheese and salad roll, a plate of russian tuna salad, 2 beers a tea a diet coke amd 3 small coffees for 18.60€ in the PCAN

Suej
20-09-2011, 11:04
The BP garage next to Autostil (Car showrooms) in Guaza does lovely food and gorgeous coffee! we always have a snack there while waiting for the car to be serviced.:)

imablue
20-09-2011, 11:18
we have eaten and had a pint in there after a knock on the Los Palos course...excellent place ...:yum:

Freedoddy20
21-09-2011, 20:21
I must say I find this thread quite surprising (not to mention amusing)! Lol
I have to state though, being a petrol station pump engineer in the UK, this is DEFINATELY one place i'm hoping to avoid! :bootyshake:

marbro8
21-09-2011, 20:29
what the hell is carne con papas? and why (if it is so nice) have i never seen it on any menu's, and what does tapas consist of?

sunspot
21-09-2011, 20:48
what the hell is carne con papas? and why (if it is so nice) have i never seen it on any menu's, and what does tapas consist of?

Carne con Papas.......meat and potato, tapes are small plates of food with bread,fish,meat, salad and alot more

Goforgold
21-09-2011, 20:53
Hi guys the petrol staion at the roundabout coming into Las Galletas from El Frail...........carne con papas with bread roll and coffee and cake------less than €5
prob not get a starter in Dublin for that ---------- and fab quality as well.

Petrol station on left on the way out of Playa San Juan towards Los Gigantes---fab food and similiar prices also fab vintage cars on display
Similar quality of food in most petrol station cafeterias

I've been eating in them for years long may they to give the best value on the Island. :wave: :wave: :wave:

Kingbaker, that one as you come into Las Galletas is brilliant and so clean, you could eat in the toilets!! :)

Barraquitos only one euro. I must try the carne con papas next time. :)

lozzie1821
21-09-2011, 21:05
I used to eat in the garage on the motorway coming from Los Cris with my spanish ex before he would start his shift at work. Great value for money aswell but i think the fact he was guardia gave him that lil extra discount where ever we went.

I found loads of great lil' places to eat while i was with him that holidaymakers would never dream of going.
Carne con papas cooked my any native canarian is always the best tapas you can order without being disappointed.

marbro8
21-09-2011, 21:06
Carne con Papas.......meat and potato, tapes are small plates of food with bread,fish,meat, salad and alot moresounds like my kind of food but i don't think san would eat it, it took me 3 years to get her to eat chinese and indian:dontknow:

Malteser Monkey
22-09-2011, 13:39
Sh$t, I need to go to specsavers. I read the title as 'Who eats in the Ganges!! (insert Blind smiley here >>)

I concur with my son, Andy0210, the BP garage in Las Americas is fab. Alas, I cannot comment on the what is on offer in the Ganges.... :D

Oh Yes 100% agree - We always go there when over nice to hear standards haven't slipped. Excellant Gambas al ajillo and croquetas to start with. It's like your home cooking - no fancy frill just good food and 24hours !:yum:

Used to eat there when I was working in bars and it could be anything from 3am to 7am, well if it's good enough for the ol' bill and taxi drivers !

We were in Costa Adeje one night when OH fancied fish and chips at 2 or 3 in the morning - I immediately hailed a taxi and went to Estasur.

Fish n chips my :bootyshake: - not blinkin' lightly:cheeky:

KirstyJay
22-09-2011, 17:54
Oasis do a killer sandwich on the TF1 at Fasnia and Estasur in Las Americas has always been good. :)

kingbaker
22-09-2011, 22:16
Kingbaker, that one as you come into Las Galletas is brilliant and so clean, you could eat in the toilets!! :)

There's only one problem with tapas. They tend to change the choice.--Back home if for example, stew is popular in a restaurant ---
then its on the menu all the time. In Tenerife they may have 10 tapas on display on the counter and next time you come,
stew not on the menu that day damn and blast

Still fab food and extreemly good value :wave: :wave: :wave:

Goforgold
23-09-2011, 07:36
There's only one problem with tapas. They tend to change the choice.--Back home if for example, stew is popular in a restaurant ---
then its on the menu all the time. In Tenerife they may have 10 tapas on display on the counter and next time you come,
stew not on the menu that day damn and blast

Still fab food and extreemly good value :wave: :wave: :wave:

Not long now ..... :)

kingbaker
23-09-2011, 20:44

Hi GFG,
Can you tell me what is a Barraquito please? :wave: :wave: :wave:

Goforgold
23-09-2011, 20:59
Hi GFG,
Can you tell me what is a Barraquito please? :wave: :wave: :wave:

It's a delicious coffee made with condensed milk and Liquor 43. :)

kingbaker
25-09-2011, 13:42
If in the north the best by far is the Bohio, direccion S/C just after La Victoria exit,absoloutely fab an 24 hr service!!!!!

Hi Chicharrera, when I go to Puerto, I go from PDLA / LOS CRIS up to Santa Cruz....then straight
up the hill...and on till it's time to turn off for Puerto. Where is the Bohio from here? Thanks
Also what does Chicharrera mean(nice name)

Suej
25-09-2011, 14:20

It's a delicious coffee made with condensed milk and Liquor 43. :)

Do you know what GFG I have been here 7 years and never tried a Barraquito! it looks as if it might be a bit sweet...but looking at the pic you posted I think I am going to have to try one!:thanx:

Goforgold
25-09-2011, 14:22
Do you know what GFG I have been here 7 years and never had a Barraquito! it looks as if it might be a bit sweet...but looking at the pic I think I am going to have to try one!:thanx:

It is very sweet Suej, I don't think you'll like it! :(

I can't believe they served it up with a packet of sugar !! :crazy:

That's the place I went to and asked for four - 2 each!!! Went in again the next day and the man said "You want 4?". He's quite a miserable man, never smiles - but I did manage to get a smile out of him that day and now we leave him a tip, he always smiles. :)

sunspot
25-09-2011, 14:22
Do you know what GFG I have been here 7 years and never tried a Barraquito! it looks as if it might be a bit sweet...but looking at the pic you posted I think I am going to have to try one!:thanx:

Its one of thoses got to have coffees which i really like,theres your everyday Cafe con Leche and then theres Barraquito.................perfect

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 17:25
Hi Guys I've been to the cafeteria in Esta Sur petrol station -- opposite police station in Las Americas

Absolutely fab food check this out small Carne y Papas, bread roll and butter, and two barraquitos con alcohol €5.20 unbelievable value!!:wave:

Also avail lots of Tapas and a full menu and Open 24 hours

Added after 4 minutes:

Hi Guys I've been to the cafeteria in Esta Sur petrol station -- opposite police station in Las Americas

Absolutely fab food check this out small Carne y Papas, bread roll and butter, and two barraquitos con alcohol €5.20 unbelievable value!!:wave:

Also avail lots of Tapas and a full menu and Open 24 hours

Thanks to Malteser Monkey and Imablue for this tip well done guys

Added after 2 minutes:

Not having eaten in the ladies toilets, I'll take your word for it GFG. ha! !ha!! :tiphat::tiphat:

Added after 47 minutes:

Thanks to Sunspot

I tried the petrol station in Armenime. Food very good but selection wasn't great on a Sunday afternoon about 5.pm
Probs a bit to late.
Also very good value. Sorry can't remember what I had but was under ,€5.50, including barraquito con alcohol. Bien :tiphat::tiphat:

Goforgold
19-10-2011, 18:43
Must try Esta Sur next time we're over then!! :)

Los Pozos near Galletas in our opinion serves the best coffee on the island - went first thing every morning to kick start the day. The next best place for coffee, was a bar in Playa San Juan.

We tried the carne con papas a couple of times in bars but not impressed this time around - I think the ones we ate were ready made and bought in pre-packed as the cubes of meat and potato were exactly the same size. Hugh portions, but I'm not interested in size it's the quality that counts!! ;)

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 18:59
Must try Esta Sur next time we're over then!! :)

Los Pozos near Galletas in our opinion serves the best coffee on the island - went first thing every morning to kick start the day. The next best place for coffee, was a bar in Playa San Juan.

We tried the carne con papas a couple of times in bars but not impressed this time around - I think the ones we ate were ready made and bought in pre-packed as the cubes of meat and potato were exactly the same size. Hugh portions, but I'm not interested in size it's the quality that counts!! ;)

One slight prob with Esta Sur ...Can be awkward to get parking...........otherwise fabulicious!!!!! Like you I go for quality not quantity!!!!Oh!! is there something in your eye????:tiphat:

Pozos fabulicious also....clean ladies toilets, if I remember correctly:tiphat:

sunspot
19-10-2011, 19:18
I love the Ensaladilla in the garage in the Adeje and you get a whopping great portion...............delicious

Goforgold
19-10-2011, 19:31
One slight prob with Esta Sur ...Can be awkward to get parking...........otherwise fabulicious!!!!! Like you I go for quality not quantity!!!!Oh!! is there something in your eye????:tiphat:

Pozos fabulicious also....clean ladies toilets, if I remember correctly:tiphat:

We found a great place to park to access Las Americas ;)

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 19:50
We found a great place to park to access Las Americas ;)

Still something seems to be in your eye!!!!!!!!!!! or have you only one eye HA!!HA!!

I bet you buggered off to watch Emmerdale, and now you're back 'cause footballs on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Added after 4 minutes:

I love the Ensaladilla in the garage in the Adeje and you get a whopping great portion...............delicious

What exactly is Ensaladilla por favor??????

Goforgold
19-10-2011, 20:10
Still something seems to be in your eye!!!!!!!!!!! or have you only one eye HA!!HA!!

I bet you buggered off to watch Emmerdale, and now you're back 'cause footballs on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Added after 4 minutes:

I don't watch any soaps !!

I don't understand what you mean about something in my eye!! ???

You seemed to enjoy your barraquitos!! :)

DOREEN QUINN
19-10-2011, 20:16
We have always used the petrol stations for tapas, but on the way back from Santa Cruz we called in one just outside Arico, sorry didnt take note of the name, suffice to say it was gorgeous!! The place was packed, the service great.... and pulpo to die for!!
The four of us shared 6 plates, bread and sauces, 4 soft drinks and 2 coffees and it was only €18.00 !!
Will take note of the name next time we visit.

sunspot
19-10-2011, 20:17
http://spanishfood.about.com/od/soupssalads/r/ensaladillarusa.htm
Here you go

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 20:38
We have always used the petrol stations for tapas, but on the way back from Santa Cruz we called in one just outside Arico, sorry didnt take note of the name, suffice to say it was gorgeous!! The place was packed, the service great.... and pulpo to die for!!
The four of us shared 6 plates, bread and sauces, 4 soft drinks and 2 coffees and it was only €18.00 !!
Will take note of the name next time we visit.

YEAH!! Pulpo is to die for. I usually bring home a few tins or plastic containers full, also squid in its own ink but I forgot to do so this time

Goforgold
19-10-2011, 20:42
What is Pulpo please - I've not heard of it before. :)

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 20:59
Hi Pulpo is Octopus....is served cut up into little pieces, with veg cut into little pieces, all in olive oil ---meat is white with slightly purple skin

Is delicious

DOREEN QUINN
19-10-2011, 22:07
:cheeky:
What is Pulpo please - I've not heard of it before. :)
:confused::cheeky:

kingbaker
19-10-2011, 22:27
:cheeky:
:confused::cheeky:

Hi Doreen what does confused and cheeky mean??

timmylish
19-10-2011, 23:11
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you want the best coffees, with alcohol, just look for the Guardia Civil Bikers or Jeeps. They always go to the best!

Goforgold
20-10-2011, 08:08
Hi Pulpo is Octapus....is served cut up into little pieces with veg cut into little pieces all in olive oil meat is white with slightly purple skin

Is delicious

Nooooooooooooooooooo !!!! Octapus - I hate that tough rubbery stuff!!! :( :( :( - I know it as caramales and got the word mixed up with caramels for 'sweets' once!!

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 08:42
Nooooooooooooooooooo !!!! Octapus - I hate that tough rubbery stuff!!! :( :( :( - I know it as caramales and got the word mixed up with caramels for 'sweets' once!!
I think you're getting mixed up Calamares is Squid...........but is also kinda rubbery,fishy and white. Hope this info has been helpfull

Goforgold
20-10-2011, 09:00
I think you're getting mixed up Calamares is Squid...........but is also kinda rubbery,fishy and white. Hope this info has been helpfull

Very helpful KB - I shall make sure I give Pulpo a wide berth!!! :)

garlicbread
20-10-2011, 13:51
Salpicón de Pulpo (or in English/French) Octopus in Vinaigrettete is, if cooked properly, an excellent Tapas. Cooked properly is is tasty and NOT rubbery. If it isn't cooked properly, and the same applies with Calamares and/or Chocos(cuttle Fish), it can be like eating rubbers(erasers).

On topic, I ain't ever had good pulpo or calamares in a petrol station cafe.

kingbaker
20-10-2011, 17:17
It gives me great pleasure to agree with you Mr garlicbread, they need to be cooked either of two ways............very fast and hot,
or very long and very low then eaten straight away mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!:hello::hello:

Added after 4 minutes:

Very helpful KB - I shall make sure I give Pulpo a wide berth!!! :)

Maybe just need some cooking lessons!!!! Shall I come over and show you how it's done? :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Goforgold
20-10-2011, 17:48
It gives me great pleasure to agree with you Mr garlicbread, they need to be cooked either of two ways............very fast and hot,
or very long and very low then eaten straight away mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!:hello::hello:

Added after 4 minutes:

Maybe just need some cooking lessons!!!! Shall I come over and show you how it's done? :eyebrows::eyebrows:

I'm not a fishy sort of person and unfortunately wouldn't eat them rubbery or otherwise. I'm ok with a bit of fish which has some covering though ie breadcrumbs or batter!! :)

Suej
20-10-2011, 18:29
Same here GFG!:wink:

mossy
20-10-2011, 20:29
My OH tried it for the first time and she liked it to my disappointment cause i thought i'll have it all to myself but it was cooked to perfection i must admit.:c2:

ribuck
18-05-2013, 12:07
I realise this is an old thread, but it's still true that you get great food and great value at Tenerife petrol station cafes. This comes as a huge surprise to everyone from the UK who is used to motorway services food that is plastic and over-priced.

I had a great meal at the El Retamar petrol station (between Los Gigantes and Santiago del Teide) - tapas, dessert, coffee and beer for €6. And next door is a really cheap fruit and vegetable stall.

Malteser Monkey
18-05-2013, 12:13
Yes they are great - I practically lived in Esta Sur in my days there. Where else can you get carne con papas, gambas al ajillo, croquetas etc at 3am ? oh and watch the ol' bill swiggin' whiskey :whistle:

All washed down with a baraquito !:yum: