PDA

View Full Version : Intending to relocate to Tenerife for 3 months or so...

coffee
17-06-2011, 22:22
Hi!

I've recently become able to work from home for months at a time, so Im interested in taking advantage of this by escaping the UK for a few months for a change of scene. All I need for my work is my computer and a decent internet connection.

Im thinking of the canaries, and think I'd prefer Tenerife. I've been before but didn't explore the island much, but have explored Fuetreventura a couple of times. I think Tenerife is the most varied and interesting of the canary islands, so that's my first choice at the moment.

I've done some reading, but am wondering what the best option would be for a 2 to 3 month stay, with a possible extension if I like it enough. I see 'Long Lets' advertised, but according to my 'tenerife lifeline' book these are usually 1 year+, and look to be aimed at permanent residents. Any 'short lets' I see look to be for holiday makers, and cost several hundred pounds a week, so aren't really practical. Is there a middle ground for stays of 2 - 3 months I should be looking into? It's just for myself living alone ; Im not looking to spend more than 600 to 700 pounds a month, so say 750 euro a month max. I wonder if a hotel will give me a good rate for such a long stay?! In case it matters, Im thinking of coming over around september/october time...

Also, any red tape I need to know about? I've done some digging and think that I don't need to do anything (like register) as long as Im not staying longer than 3 months, can anyone confirm?

Any recommendations on the area? My thoughts so far are that I don't want to be amongst the concrete jungle holiday maker places on the south, but also wan't to be able to drive easily around the island without too much windy road stuff before I get to a main road. I have no spanish skills at all, so probably need to be fairly close to tourist areas, just not deep within them - I'll need some peace to do my work at home so a block of flats surrounded by brits letting their hair down won't help!

Thanks for any advice & help anyone can give!

doreen
17-06-2011, 22:30
Hi coffee - welcome .... have you definite months in mind ... we get the "Swallows" here for a few months from late October/November till about March and they fill up a lot of the available space. You will pick up a 2-3 month ... and should be able to negotiatie down, especially if away from peak periods such as Christmas or school breaks.

You're right, no need to register ... but do check carefully about your internet connection.

sunspot
17-06-2011, 22:44
Hello coffee, a very warm welcome to the forum,good luck on you intended trip

coffee
18-06-2011, 16:08
Thanks for your replies,

I've a vague plan to head over during september, hopefully that means off peak due to the end of the school summer holidays, and it sounds like I might grab a property before the 'swallows' get there.

It sounds like I might need to be close to a large town area so I get a decent internet speed, I've read that people in the more remote areas have problems.

Any suggestions on where to live on the island? I'd need somewhere quite peaceful so I can work at home, but not so far from civilisation that my internet doesn't work!

Jackie
18-06-2011, 17:31
Thanks for your replies,

I've a vague plan to head over during september, hopefully that means off peak due to the end of the school summer holidays, and it sounds like I might grab a property before the 'swallows' get there.

It sounds like I might need to be close to a large town area so I get a decent internet speed, I've read that people in the more remote areas have problems.

Any suggestions on where to live on the island? I'd need somewhere quite peaceful so I can work at home, but not so far from civilisation that my internet doesn't work!

Not always the case out here, ask the people who live in Callao Salvaje who can't even get internet in their apartments. I live in a Canarian village in the hills and although I don't have the fastest internet speed on the Island I have used it to work from home as has my son and we have never had any problems. Most times there are three of us on the internet at the same time, me on the PC and the kids on their laptops. The only time we have a real problem with the speed is if one of them are downloading something, which has now been banned until we are going to bed so it downloads over night:lol:

DaveRF
18-06-2011, 17:38
I'm out of the loop now but can you get a landline and broadband connection with a contract of less than 12 months? 12 months used to be the minimum.

tracey
18-06-2011, 17:53
Hi coffee
If you would consider living away from the resorts you can get great places for your budget. I imagine you would want plenty of space if you are living and working from home.

dont know about internet contracts but you can always use a stick thingy (dongle?). We use an Orange one and works fine.

Good luck with your move :cool:

kieraj
18-06-2011, 23:33
look at los abrigios or palm mar or maybe los galletos the spellings are probably wrong, but these are all on bus routes to the tourist areas and will give you peace and quiet when you want it, and they are all on the coast, so the internet should be ok, and they are all lovely places to live.

murph
18-06-2011, 23:47
I am in a similar position and of the same mind as Coffee. Only difference maybe that I would need a phone line (heavy usage) back to the UK to be able to do my work.

Any knowledge or suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated

coffee
22-06-2011, 13:06
look at los abrigios or palm mar or maybe los galletos the spellings are probably wrong, but these are all on bus routes to the tourist areas and will give you peace and quiet when you want it, and they are all on the coast, so the internet should be ok, and they are all lovely places to live.

Great thanks! These are all pretty close to one another on the south west coast I think? They look pretty close to the airport, is there a problem with noise?

Chris P. Bacon
22-06-2011, 13:23
Palm Mar has no problem with noise at all....

atlantico
22-06-2011, 13:32
Silencio ticks all your boxes, check out my apartment at www.atlantico-silencio.co.uk , but you'd need a mobile connection for internet as otherwise there are minimum rental terms. There's a wireless supplier, but again minimum rental contract