PDA

View Full Version : Relocation We want to move to Tenerife and have some questions

tinker
03-10-2012, 09:13
ok,

so im late 20's, and my husband is late 30's and my parents own some property on the golf. We love tenerife, and always have done. When we holiday over there its more like a fact finding mission of where we want to live, work etc.

Im horsey - im a BHSAI registered english riding instructor, so as you can imagine i have worked as a groom, rider, stallionhandler, etc.
i also train animals for TV and film work.

and i have hold a HND in business studies, i have been an accounts administrator for years and also done all office things as well as running the family business.

I currently sell horses for a livng, and do the family business accounts etc,

my husband runs the above family business (we modify vehicles) so again he does the paperwork (when he has to) and all the welding, manufacture, bodywork, etc. there are many many skills involved hes one of those people though that can do anything.

previously to this he worked as a cooling/pump brewery engineer. (installing beer/pop/draft systems/fixing pumps/refridgation, and some air-con) for 18yrs

we imagine from our experience that if my spanish gets better (and it is!) that i could get an office job or i excel in sales (although i wouldnt want to sell timeshares etc etc) or maybe one day a job will arise at one of the various animal parks?

and jonathan could either A - open up a business, or B, learn better spanish and work installing beer/pop or go down the air-con route.

now please please - do not shoot us down. trust me weve heard it all before, people move to spain/caneries etc come back pennyless and no money and cant find work etc.

we are the type of people that are risk takers, we want to get out of this rat race and join another but with some sun! lol

our reasons for tenerife are - we have friends over there, we love the culture, we love the areas (not talking about the clubbing here guys) ive done my equine research and know about the horses on the island), we want to enjoy dog walks (did i mention the dogs will be coming) and we even love the supermarkets and the fact the food on a small island is better than the UK, :whistle:
we also want to relax, eat outside, enjoy the outdoors (we are outdoor people the weather in the UK effects our life sooo much)

we have looked and looked about, we are basically happy living out of town, or near costa del silencio, we like the golf but dont want to be trapped round OAPS, (sorry you older people rolleyes2:) we want more of a busy community not the sleepy golf lol, we like buzanda, any where like that really.

now problem 1 -

do we A keep our house , rent it out and use that money to rent a pad in Tenerife.

or B - sell our house and use the cash to buy

either way we need a house/villa/ground floor place with some where that i can have my dogs! and also that i can make into a home

obviously i guess we would move til we found the area we would like to settle in.

the pros and cons are it would be easier to get a mortgage now whilst we are working , than relying on a spanish wage and reference.

We are going to open a santander bank account (thought it would at least be better to start off with a bank!)

i think the renting for now opetion would be safer?

(my mums place is a no go for now - she doe long term lets and i want to do this alone - did i mention they also are planning to come over full time in a year or two)

dad has a car over there.

I think we would drive over (buy a left hand drive wagon & bring some stuffand dogs and then sell the truck)

so any advise/help?

im not talking about coming NOW - but doing a year plan to do this right!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

and where would we look for a nice property as descibed above??

Roadkingrider
03-10-2012, 12:01
One piece of advice........don't tell people so much of your personal details/business on what is an open forum where anyone can read all about you! Keep yourself to yourself when you arrive and don't trust ANYONE before you really get to know them on Tenerife! And, most important of all, rent until you are sure you can make a go of it, oh yes, and don't trust 99% of the estate agents on the island, especially those that claim to have won every Award going (there's a clue there). Good luck.

YOUNG GOLFER
03-10-2012, 12:08
One piece of advice........don't tell people so much of your personal details/business on what is an open forum where anyone can read all about you! Keep yourself to yourself when you arrive and don't trust ANYONE before you really get to know them on Tenerife! And, most important of all, rent until you are sure you can make a go of it, oh yes, and don't trust 99% of the estate agents on the island, especially those that claim to have won every Award going (there's a clue there). Good luck.

99% wow that does not leave a lot to trust.

KirstyJay
03-10-2012, 12:38
There are many threads that already address a lot of your questions. Try having a search through the existing info on the forum :)

TOTO 99
03-10-2012, 13:03
It thought this was a great introduction Tinker.

It'll actually save you being bombarded with questions later. I don't see anything in there that would put you at risk.

It sounds like you guys are pretty determined and realistic so good luck with it.

My advice would be to keep the UK home and rent it out. Hopefully you should be able to use some of that income towards renting a place in Tenerife.
If it doesn't work out it's more than likely you'd return to the UK and at least you'd be on the property ladder with the added advantage of not being stuck with a house in Tenerife to try and sell.
Might take some getting used to not having horses around though.....:D

tinker
03-10-2012, 13:38
It thought this was a great introduction Tinker.

It'll actually save you being bombarded with questions later. I don't see anything in there that would put you at risk.

It sounds like you guys are pretty determined and realistic so good luck with it.

My advice would be to keep the UK home and rent it out. Hopefully you should be able to use some of that income towards renting a place in Tenerife.
If it doesn't work out it's more than likely you'd return to the UK and at least you'd be on the property ladder with the added advantage of not being stuck with a house in Tenerife to try and sell.
Might take some getting used to not having horses around though.....:D

dont worry, ive already found 2 stables that i would keep a horse at! i have 10 to sell at home so should be able to buy one in mainland spain and bring him over. :whistle:

carpenter
03-10-2012, 14:21
You're talking about the same ages myself and my wife are now so I get a feel for you situation.

(BTW I'm a very negative person :) )

I know several horse stables here and they just get by on livery payments. I shouldn't think there is any money in grooming, training or selling horses as people offer their time for free to ride them and horses are being given away for free as no one can afford to keep them. Plenty of work if you are a farrier though.

Animals in general are not looked after well here.

Your husband may have some luck in the brewery game over here as there are several British beer suppliers on the island but takings I believe are going down.

Modifying vehicles, forget it, it's basically impossible to modify a vehicle here in any mechanical or structural way. All you can do is change the interior and give them a paint job. Spoilers, wheels, wheel arches, exhausts, tow bars, roof racks all have to come off to go through the MOT equivalent.

Going to send you a PM something you might be interested in

Shaun@Tenerife
14-10-2014, 12:09
You sound very determined so I'm sure you will make a success of this relocation. I agree with the advice to consider renting for a while before diving into the property market though.
Good luck with your relocation.