PDA

View Full Version : On average how much do hairdressers earn in Tenerife?

Kellie
04-10-2012, 21:36
Im looking to move to the island next year, I have a good friend who will help me settle in. However Im hoping to find work as a hairdresser somewhere on/near the golf.
Can anybody advise me if they know what the job situation is like over there for hairdressers (Im sure there must be one or two on here) also what kind of wages can you expect if you get a job?? I have a lot of experience and Im used to working 50 hrs a week so grafting for it isnt an issue.Any advice would be great!!

Kellie
05-10-2012, 21:43
Im guessing nobody can help me with this one!! :doh:

Balcony
06-10-2012, 08:36
I can't help with actual money, but if it helps at all.......

Just as in the UK there seems (to a bloke) a surfeit of ladies hairdressers and as in the UK the good ones are busy. My wife complained that it was more costly in Tenerife, so she stopped having haircuts when we are there and my observations of her hair is that some cutters need to re-train - which I think is the real reason she stopped!

I would have thought you'd get some shifts if you're fully qualified. Money I would think of as 'average' and tips much the same as in the UK.

Kellie
06-10-2012, 21:00
Hmm I didnt think the cost of hair services were to bad over there. Ive looked at a few price lists out there and on web and I thought it was actually quite cheap. But I guess it depends where in the UK you are as costs do vary dependant on location and level of service. I will have to continue looking into it.
Thanks for your help.

Balcony
08-10-2012, 07:04
My wife used to use one hardresser she liked, but they closed. She tried another (don't want to say the name) where she was disappointed. I'm not sure it was really expensive, but maybe just a perception. I only know the prices in the UK and women's prices seem very high for just a cut. Good luck. Hope it works out.

Medanoman
08-10-2012, 15:55
I have 2 spanish relatives that are hairdressers. They are up in la Laguna and are not in a tourist location for hairdressing services really. Anyway it all depends on experience etc , but they say from 800 to 900 euros a month. One would hope that tips would be better from the expat crowd down south but i doubt it.

Kellie
08-10-2012, 16:02
Thanks for your help, I didnt expect it to be much really, pretty poor pay. I would imagine expats would tip more yes. I guess location is key....

Muppet
08-10-2012, 16:41
Thanks for your help, I didnt expect it to be much really, pretty poor pay. I would imagine expats would tip more yes. I guess location is key....

Actually, you will find 800-900 is average to good pay in the Canaries, no matter what your skills may be.

dipper
15-10-2012, 09:07
hairdresser prices appear to be slightly higher than in UK. I would think anyone operating "mobile" near the holiday complexes will do better than in a shop and expats are more likely to use them than a foreigner