PDA

View Full Version : What do Tenerife Forum members think of off-topic banter in threads?

DaveRF
18-06-2011, 00:32
I'm not trying to start an argument about this or anything but just interested in what you think of off-topic banter in threads?

A few funny posts that don't derail the thread can be pretty funny but when they escalate it can be frustrating for those participating in the thread. Some folks seem to get upset if their posts get moved to the off-topic thread but if it were your thread where you were trying to sell something or trying to find out some information you'd probably find the banter annoying.

We're probably all guilty of thread hijacking to different degrees but do we need to be mindful about spoiling other people's threads? There are plenty of light hearted threads to have a banter in and if there isn't one to suit the subject of the banter why not start a new one?

Just a thought.

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 00:39
I tend to ignore banter, as a mod, in chat threads and fun threads.

I always consider posts to be off topic in serious threads, i.e. information, Advertising (for sale, property, help, assistance, wanted) etc.

In chat threads then by the very nature of the title they are 'chat'

caroletenerife
18-06-2011, 00:50
Absolutley, i was most perterbed to have my gardening thread hijacked, it was most frustrating as im trying to get my marigolds up to speed :D:D

Loaded
18-06-2011, 00:59
How hot was it today? Anyone know hat the temperature was???

sundownersvince
18-06-2011, 01:20
Absolutley, i was most perterbed to have my gardening thread hijacked, it was most frustrating as im trying to get my marigolds up to speed :D:D

Sorry Miss, if I had knew you was volunteering for the washing up.........

Grammar!!!!!! And....:dishes::dishes:

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 01:33
I take it my point was we:hungry::poke::idea::surrender:ll received.....

with cheese
18-06-2011, 06:55
I think it is diabolical and everyone should stay serious all the time. dum dum eeeee doh doo doo de doee doo.

caroletenerife
18-06-2011, 09:21
Definately only politics and religion to be discussed...that should be fun!!!

sunspot
18-06-2011, 14:24
I'm not trying to start an argument about this or anything but just interested in what you think of off-topic banter in threads?

A few funny posts that don't derail the thread can be pretty funny but when they escalate it can be frustrating for those participating in the thread. Some folks seem to get upset if their posts get moved to the off-topic thread but if it were your thread where you were trying to sell something or trying to find out some information you'd probably find the banter annoying.

We're probably all guilty of thread hijacking to different degrees but do we need to be mindful about spoiling other people's threads? There are plenty of light hearted threads to have a banter in and if there isn't one to suit the subject of the banter why not start a new one?

Just a thought.

A few funny bits are fine but when it completely takes over the thread its just unfair and i think they should been cleaned out the thread all together

Mawkin
18-06-2011, 15:24
I sometimes think that some of the posters are "frustrated comedians" as the banter on some threads is definitely not funny IMOH except for those in the funny circle.

Jackie
18-06-2011, 15:43
Sometimes I think a few 'off topic' comments are needed in certain threads to lighten the mood., especially in threads that have members at each others throats:lol: It just gives people time to sit back and hopefully think before they carry on with the onslaught. What I don't like are the 'predictable' off topic comments by certain members, like any 'joke' they get tedious after a while.:fryingpan:

DJ Dangerous
18-06-2011, 17:58
Savage day out there today!

Malteser Monkey
18-06-2011, 18:35
I don't know where I'd be without it DJ - honestly !

Seriously I wouldn't hijack a serious thread, you know about illness or .... well you know what I mean

Oh and I am not a happy bunny about all the off topic ........ being in the dungeon ! We create enough of it ourselves !!!!

TOTO 99
18-06-2011, 19:24
I think most of us know when there's a chance to throw a line in without causing too much disturbance. Some threads leave themselves wide open to it and others eg. the teenage rape thread do not.
If you consider a group of friends discussing any subject there's a good chance it will drift a little at some point. If it gets annoying the mods will deal with it but it's not very often that it drags on to the point of ruining a good thread.

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 19:32
I think most of us know when there's a chance to throw a line in without causing too much disturbance. Some threads leave themselves wide open to it and others eg. the teenage rape thread do not.
If you consider a group of friends discussing any subject there's a good chance it will drift a little at some point. If it gets annoying the mods will deal with it but it's not very often that it drags on to the point of ruining a good thread.

Usually because we've got to it first..:whip:

with cheese
18-06-2011, 19:36
Think the rape thread is a good example as not off topic, although it has caused a heated discussion.

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 19:43
Think the rape thread is a good example as not off topic, although it has caused a heated discussion.

Heated discussion is great as long as it has to do with the OP and doesn't wander off to a chat between 2 members that has absolutely nothing to do with the point.

with cheese
18-06-2011, 19:45
Heated discussion is great as long as it has to do with the OP and doesn't wander off to a chat between 2 members that has absolutely nothing to do with the point.

Then name the members.

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 19:48
Then name the members.

???????????????????????????

sunspot
18-06-2011, 20:00
Then name the members.

Would have thought that was obvious to the posters on that thread

onelegnofeet
18-06-2011, 20:09

I would have agreed but i see its now got a few OT posts .
I never go off topic ,well maybe sometimes just a bit ,well maybe a lot ........BUT i dont do it on serious threads like murder,death,wars,illness (though sometimes a laugh is good medicine) or RAPE !!

with cheese
18-06-2011, 21:08
Yep it has now, but I think when Slodge made the remark it hadn't

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 21:13
Methinks it's time to take a look.

Remember the Forum is not actively moderated.

We rely on the membership to report things that need moderating.

Just click on the report post button at the bottom of the post, you will be asked for a reason and it brings it to our attention straight away.

It is completely confidential.

Loaded
18-06-2011, 22:12
I think you need to be careful , obviously on the iPhone thread me and vortex kinda hijacked the thread and that's annoying..... But if you start removing every single digression then you'll end up running the place like nazis. A simple message saying "ok guys can we get back on topic" like you did in the illegal letting thread soon breaks up the banter without any bad feeling.

Jackie
18-06-2011, 22:15
I think you need to be careful , obviously on the iPhone thread me and vortex kinda hijacked the thread and that's annoying..... But if you start removing every single digression then you'll end up running the place like nazis. A simple message saying "ok guys can we get back on topic" like you did in the illegal letting thread soon breaks up the banter without any bad feeling.

Well I thought our posts on the Illegal letting thread were on topic, they might have been about Goats Chickens and Ducks but we were still discussing whether they were tourists or residents:lol::lol:

with cheese
18-06-2011, 22:18
Most threads that go of topic and are not exhausted usually go back on thread, very quickly.

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 22:20
Obviously a moderator thought differently.

If you want to dispute any moderator decisions then it must be done via PM or Help ticket and not on open Forum, as that is against the T&Cs.

Jackie
18-06-2011, 22:23

If you want to dispute any moderator decisions then it must be done via PM or Help ticket and not on open Forum, as that is against the T&Cs.

Was this comment for me???? If so please lighten up Slodge it was meant in jest hence the lol smiley at the end. You ain't half getting serious lately ;)

slodgedad
18-06-2011, 22:29
Was this comment for me???? If so please lighten up Slodge it was meant in jest hence the lol smiley at the end. You ain't half getting serious lately ;)

No, sorry Jackie. It was in reply to the post before yours. I forgot to quote.

Slapping my own wrist as I type..:crazy::surrender:

Jackie
18-06-2011, 22:32
No, sorry Jackie. It was in reply to the post before yours. I forgot to quote.

Slapping my own wrist as I type..:crazy::surrender:

You are forgiven ;)

Loaded
19-06-2011, 04:44

Seriously though who is going to bother disputing having off topic comments removed? More likely the poster Will just think "nazi mods" and post a little less and there goes a little bit more of the greatness of the forum

TOTO 99
19-06-2011, 07:24
Seriously though who is going to bother disputing having off topic comments removed? More likely the poster Will just think "nazi mods" and post a little less and there goes a little bit more of the greatness of the forum

On the flip side I wouldn't like to think that someone (newbie) had some information for the illegal lettings thread but was put off because the last page of posts were all OT or taking the mickey.

onelegnofeet
19-06-2011, 07:35
Only twice in all my "REMOVALS" have i ever questioned why ,all the others should and were removed ..............its just i cant help myself you lot are sooo Tempting!!!